How did Bungie go from doing a series like Marathon with a fuckton of lore scattered around the world for the player to...

How did Bungie go from doing a series like Marathon with a fuckton of lore scattered around the world for the player to discover, to something as pathetic as Destiny where you basically read a blurb on a card?

Other urls found in this thread:

destiny-grimoire.info/
bungie.net/en/companion
destinypedia.com/Grimoire
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Destiny was actually going to be pretty felshed out but their creative director jumped ship mid-project.

Consoles

There's actually a fuck load of lore for Destiny but I don't think the pace of the game allows for it to be read in-game, it is a multiplayer game. There's websites with all of that shit compiled because no one wants to wait for their cocksucking friends to read pages of lore while they could be shooting things. It's a "social experience" and reading apparently ain't social. Yes, if you want to personally find that shit, you have to hunt and scan in game.

That's how.

You have to go to bungie's site and log in to get the lore. It's completely ruined because no one will fucking read it. Destiny is without doubt the greatest example of wasted potential.

No one will read anything on a website?

What?

The lore was the only thing I liked about destiny.
The Vex want to exist at all points in time simultaneously so that they become a part of physics itself. They want to become the fabric of the universe.

in marathon you read the lore on cards too. except the cards are just computer monitors you flip through. don't be so pretentious. story in games is for faggots.

← Because they don't have this guy anymore.

Back in the mid-90s, some Bungie people left to start a new company called Double Aught. Its president was Greg Kirkpatrick, the main writer of the Marathon series. They developed Marathon Infinity, and then worked on a game called Duality, but couldn't find a publisher and eventually ran out of money. After that, I recall reading that he gave up on vidya development and became a teacher or something.

Stories in games are fine, the problem is how invasive they are today. Really, only RPGs should be "story heavy". Most other games can exist very nicely with a short intro to set up the world, your character and reason for doing the game.

I lied. I like the music too. And the way the armor looks. And the graphics. But thats all honest…

rpgs dont even need to be story heavy. they just need to be good fuckin games

They made Halo along the way which already destroyed their standards, so it's not surprising

halo 1, 2, 3, and odst were bungies best games, frankly marathon has garbage level design and game play

The gun play is pretty nice if you ignore the aim assist and lack of a mouse.
Destiny sucks because it's too grindy, not on pc and it took 3 expansions to be any fun at all.

Not to read lore for a game's nonsensical story after logging into an account.
TES got away with it because the game makes sense without the background information and reading about it made the experience better.

Myth 1 and 2 are their best.

Fucked up the embed

I think that that's for destiny's life as an IP, not the current game.

rtshit

Again, this isn't true. I even fucking said so. Just a second of searching will put you on sites with the entirety of the "grimoire" with no need to log in. Hell, I just duckduckgo'd that shit and the first result was this: destiny-grimoire.info/

Sure looks like all of the lore without logging in to me. Maybe if you actually looked shit up before talking we wouldn't have this confusion.

Losing two years of work does tend to do that to projects.

I only like the Mars theme

Compelling argument

Marty did all the vanilla music, that song included. You're thinking of the DLC music.

O damn okay

my operating system is more fun than any rts

that's an unofficial mirror you dolt
It literally says at the bottom of the page "Presented by Der Flatulator. I am not Bungie or Activision, the developer and publisher of Destiny, respectively."
The official way to access it is to log into the Destiny Companion and enter the code of the in game card that you have to grind for
bungie.net/en/companion
destinypedia.com/Grimoire

Eat a dick

Are you fucking kidding? I've seen some dumb shit but I can't fathom this.

When the game first came out there were no mirrors
The mirrors are unofficial and not a part of the intended experience.
The companion is a feature of the game. It is a very shitty feature that is so unwanted that people have made ways to bypass it. There are several unofficial mirrors out there with the sole intent of allowing access to the lore entries without grinding as Bungie intends for the player to do.
Either way in order to access the lore one must go through something other then the game itself. In fact when the game came out you couldn't even access the companion form a PS3 or 360 when it came out you had to turn on a computer or a smartphone and log into a website to read the lore.

Are you listening to yourself?

The lore is literally right fucking there.

There is literally no way you can make yourself not look retarded. Fuck Bungie and whatever they intended. You can see all the lore without logging in. End of story.

Let's do it the way Bungie intended then.
You keep saying "grinding" but for the most part its the equivalent of finding little items in the world hidden away or finishing missions. OH NOES I HAVE TO LOG IN. Holy shit is logging in an arduous task? If so, there's websites with all the lore! Did you play the game? No probably not, but there's good news, THE LORE IS ALL FUCKING ONLINE RIGHT THERE.

It's not fucking two years ago. Stop being retarded publicly, it's embarrassing.

unf

money.
why pay some geek to insert clever easter eggs and lore, when you can pay him to make skins and textures to sell for $5 each?

I accept your defeat.

Yeah, no. Are you paid to defend shitty devs?

So, calling people out on their bullshit misinformation is equal to invariably defending the developer?

I'd ask you to explain this thought process to me but I already have a headache from this dumb shit.

my nigga u stupid as hell

Myth is real time tactics

I said, unf.

Has no one played Oni?
48BDDDEACAD4F765C3FD1452C19FAC1AE8A83413

And like a dumbass I forget to embed.

Destiny's endgame is where it's at, I'd be less inclined to play it if I had to go through any more story missions to reach level 20 when the game first came out. It was 8-10 hours to get through the story and on to the real game, and that's how I like it.

O I am laffin