OK, lets forget the playstation for a bit and have a real discussion about the merits of each console...

OK, lets forget the playstation for a bit and have a real discussion about the merits of each console. The N64 was exceedingly popular in the West but there's no denying it's got an incredibly small library, but what is there is really something great.

The Saturn on the other hand relied a ton on import games, not all of which are particularly accessible to people who don't read Japanese, but this isn't a necessity for a decent majority of these games.

But what ended up being the better console on a factual basis? Lets ignore what was or was not available at the time, and look at what we can absolutely access today. They're both great systems with different good and bad elements, but what was best?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobygames.com/browse/games/n64/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

IIRC, the N64's issue was that not only did it have a small library but the releases came at a snail's pace. A lot of the best stuff was really late in its life, and a lot more stuff got cancelled or pushed onto another console.

Of course, it launched with Mario 64, and I don't think any other console is going to have a launch title with legs like that.

Everything I hear about the Saturn is that it was basically fucked from the start in so many different ways.

Saturn. Way bigger library when taking imports into account, best controllers, great 2D.

N64 a shit.

Play the games. You'll it was a far better system. It the US that got fucked in missing out on so many great games.

the 64 controller is very flawed, but innovative at least. Very important piece of hardware. Still don't know why no one else has used the magnet scheme the saturn does in its analog pad. It's fucking brilliant. Magnets > Springs > fucking rubberbands.

the saturn had its issues at launch, but lets talk about the console as it is today, after its time and with a full view of what it left us with. Hardware, software, advertisements, visuals, innovation, whatever. Both consoles were exploding with each. Hell, even game to game comparisons could be interesting.

I don't think anyone can deny that Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei blow the fuck out of Starfox 64, despite how good starfox is. Mind you, the Saturn's full library is nearly twice the size of the 64's full library (64 was about 400, Saturn over 700) - this is including all games and ignoring their regional status. 64 had surprisingly few Japanese only games, only about 90 something out of its library.

The N64's drawbacks weren't a problem to me as a kid. It had a small library, but I still didn't have the money to buy anywhere near all of the games I wanted for it. I feel this is a point that most people overlook when they look back on that generation from an adult's perspective.

But what about today?

Today I definitely wouldn't limit myself to just owning an N64. I'd own one alongside a Playstation and a good PC.

Only the most delusional and dedicated of Nintendo fanboys would defend the N64.

It was the point where Nintendo went from king of videogames to being the laughingstock of vidya.

Bump

No, you're thinking of the Gamecube. That's where things truly started to go downhill.

Hardware: Both have worse 3D architecture than PS1, although PS1 is less powerful and more overpriced.

Controller: N64 has shit design and unreliable analog pad. Saturn's controller can't play FPS games.

Library: I hate mario/zelda games, I hate fighting and top down shooter, and goldeneye has some of the shittiest framerate ever. PC and PS1 have better library.

Both are bad but for different reasons. N64 had a strong first-party and second-party but a terrible third-party, while Cube had a decent third-party but a subpar first-party line-up. Also Nintendo fucked up hard on both by going for carts on N64 and ignoring online multiplayer with the Cube.

N64: Less than 200 games released in Japan, extremely first/second(Rare) party-dependant

Saturn: Around 1000-1100 games released in Japan, some of them first party, but the vast majority of them third party. The number of exclusives is really high.

The N64 is the console which started the belief that Nintendo home consoles were meant for really dedicated Nintendo fans. It had nothing to do with the SNES or NES, which were real third-party accumulators and gave birth to some of the most popular non-Nintendo franchises.

Rare that an actual video game discussion thread appears.

To me, the hardware and such really doesn't matter at all, but i do really like the rich colour palette of the Saturn. The only things that really matter are the games. And possibly the controller too, since one of them is one of the worst of all time and one is the best.

When it comes to games, there's only 5 or so i enjoy playing on the N64:

SM64
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Sin & Punishment
Goemon
Mischief Makers

When I think of the Saturn, there's so many games i wouldn't be able to list them all. It's true that many were never released outside of Japan, but how is that going to impair your enjoyment of a shmup or a beat 'em up.
Saturn:

Cotton 2
Metal Slug
Guardian Heroes
Mega Man X3/8
X-men vs Street Fighter
Dragon Force 1/2
Dungeons & Dragons
Panzer Dragoon 1/2/Saga
Marvel vs Street Fighter
Burning Rangers
Shining Force 3
Layer Force 2
Thunder Force 5
Die Hard Arcade
Virtual-On
Bulk Slash
Battle Garegga
Hyperduel
Radiant Silvergun
Albert Odyssey
Mystic Knight Rayearth
Shinobi X
Silhoette Mirage

Pretty amazing library and i'm sure there's a bunch i've missed there

The thing is, the NES dominated the scene until alternatives like the tg16/pce and genesis/md provided appealing alternatives to devs. The snes was a little late but enough major devs were invested that they happily jumped on the opportunity to use nintendos new hardware. The n64 was not only late, it also severely underperformed and produced far less than stellar results, not to mention nintendos pressure to get 3d games on the system. The saturn waa very appealing to 2d designers and open to 3d experimentation, and the ps1 did 3d acceptably and very fast compared to its competitors.

Combined with the ps1 and Saturn cutting off the n64s launch by years, devs were already invested into their projects on those systems and by the time the n64 was out, the saturn and ps1 had install bases and trained teams working on them. 64s convoluted development and the pressure to engage in totally new game design was very alienating to third parties who were well under way with other systems.

Nintendo sealed their own fate with the n64, its biggest failure was timing. A 1995 launch may have been enough to see the library grow another 100+ games.

This to me pushes the saturn ahead. The n64 had far more innovative and influential titles however.

Look up the saturn 3d control pad. Fps games at the time had toggle aiming but still, the controller is rock solid.

I know right, a thread that isn't about e-celebs, gossip, or shit trannies say

Magic knight rayearth*

Why did this board go to shit?

user do you think Mischief Makers was a good game? I think it's what Mgaman on th PSX should have been. Fast, high mobility, style, cool moves, cartharsis, the works.

Overmoderation? Even making a thread about an actual 20 year old console war i was unsure if it would get deleted.

Gamecube was worse.

I first bought a saturn as a kid, I then ended getting a N64 for Christmas. I loved my saturn but the 64 was better imo.

4 player multiplayer built in was a first for consoles and goldeneye,perfect dark,mario kart and diddy kong racing were amazing.

I dont think I knew anyone else that had a saturn, it was either Playstation or 64.

I grew up with the N64 and loved it as a kid. I didn't get my Saturn til last year. It has actually been the system I've been playing the most since I got it. I picked up a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga when I got it (go big or go home) and that just opened up the floodgates for me.

I really dont know which system I would classify as "better." One I have trouble playing anything for because I already played almost everything worthwhile years ago and cant find myself going back to replay them. The other I'm enjoying "new" experiences I never saw before.

severe undermoderation (there are maybe five volunteers counting Mark and two of those five practically don't exist, Mark doesn't do terrifically much in comparison to the others, Lime turns over valid reports based on his own whims and LaBattaglia is a fucking unicorn with how rarely he's spotted)

No, it was the toy of choice for parents between 96 and 98. The nostalgiafags fondly remembering the Nintendo 64 were the ones who were children back then.

Teens and older, what you would call the hardcore demographics today, were all on board with the Playstation. Which achieved close to complete dominance in that generation and the one afterwards. The word Playstation itself became synonym with cd-playing console, just like the NES was "the Nintendo".

Generalist gaming magazines eventually noticed the trend and started giving more space to the PS1, reducing the number of articles for Saturn and the N64.

Give it a try. It's a Treasure game, and they never fired a blank.

Actually i assumed i would come into this thread to see a dozen faggots furiously saging.

20 million units in america makes it the second place console for units sold that generation. So, what did you think about the Saturn compared to the N64 in the grand scheme of things?

I'm more curious about a retrospective look back, not what you enjoyed more as a kid, but comparatively which one you think is better in the areas that matter most.

This is true in a way, But in college at the time people brought the N64 for Goldeneye and Mario Kart.

I think I spent most of my gaming in college on the N64 and PC. PSX had very little exclusives that where not on PC.

Unless when where arranging a night to setup a serial network to play Doom, Duke, Blood, GTA or the likes which kinda was a pain in the late 90's we played MP on the N64.

It was never a fight between the Saturn and the N64. Saturn and PSX came out earlier, competing for the same marketplace just like today's Microsoft and Sony. But Sega couldn't compete with Sony appeal to casuals and non-gamers, and were left behind.

Had it been so, history might have taken a different direction. Sega might have had a good chance against Nintendo, who really lost to the cd-rom format and not just to Sony (with their politics on cartridges).

In Europe, most hardcores didn't wait for the N64 to be released, and just got on the Sony bandwagon to play Toshinden and Ridge Racer with everyone else.

At that point I had already started working, so I didn't really own a console but was renting one with some games every once and then. I honestly loved the N64 (Mario 64, Turok, Zelda a bit later) and didn't expect the cartridge format to make such a big difference. Then after trying out some PC conversions of great games, like MGS1 and FF7, it started to become evident that the old glory was slowly being pushed into a corner like an old toy.

Welp, that's it. All is lost.

Still baffles me to this day. It's easily the worst Nintendo console, but is often hailed as the best.

REMINDER THAT ONLY CUCKS BOUGHT THE PLAYTHING AND PRETENDO 64

Well when I had my saturn there wasn't really a great deal of western releases and I was to young to be able to import anything. The best platformer was Bug!. The majority of the games were arcade ports or arcade style games.

I had a light gun so virtua cop 1 and 2 were great and even area 51 was fun. But most of these games can be finished in an hour or so.

Banjo Kazooie was the game that made me buy a 64, I had never played an open platformer before as anything previous was like crash bandicoot 2.5D or whatever you call it.

ITT: Saturn Fags try and revise history to get over the disappointment that was their childhood.

The GameCube should have sold way more units than the N64. I guess it's easy to sell a bad console after having released two good consoles in a row (NES, SNES), but it's hard to sell a good console (and with a library of around 700 games) after having released a bad one.

Please stop the ridiculous "Saturn and Dreamcast were amazing" meme. They were shit in comparison to the competition. Shit.

Modern nintendo in a nutshell.

I couldn't be assed with the Saturn at the time, having WAY too much fun on my PS1 and its gazillion titles. Dreamcast, on the other hand, was fucking euphoric in what it did. It was basically Segas swan song after fucking up so badly with the 32x/Segacd monstrosity, Saturn not being all that great and it looking like they were toast. Dreamcast was low cost and delivered on everything it promised but people still waited to be gouged by the upcoming PS2 instead of buying one. Shame.

It was the cheapest DVD player around at the time, which played a huge part in many people picking it over the Dreamcast unfortunately.

and fuck you too.

Don't forget Shining force Scenarios 2/3/Premium Disc, never released outside of Japan, but last i checked, the fan translations were pretty much complete.

The N64's biggest strength was the built in 4 player support, and the multiplayer games that took advantage of that.

If it didn't have that and great multiplayer/party games, the N64 would've had a much shorter lifespan.

ITT Nintencucks upset the N64 was a shit console that only got second place because of Sega fucking up the Saturn's release in the US

I owned a PSX, an N64, and a Saturn. Keep crying about your shit childhood tho.

I owned both a PS1 and N64, where i lived nobody even knew what the fuck a sega saturn was, much less owed any games. I think, like, only one store actually sold the fucking thing, and even then it looked like shit(they had Sonic R, like the absolute worse sonic game in the kiosk)

I think something that often gets overlooked is how well built the Saturn was. For a disc-based system, many of them have held up very well. The high quality disc drive Sega used was actually a big factor in why the system was so expensive and they ended up going with a much cheaper drive for the Dreamcast, which obviously had a lot of noticeable grinding and drive failures.

Anyone who had access to game magazines could buy imports from middleman companies. I never imported anything due to terminal poverty, but I still wrangled my way into owning an SNES, Genesis, and PSX.

When the Saturn was new, in my area, it launched at $540. That was almost 3DO and Neo Geo level money. Not gonna' happen. I saw it as basically the Sega arcade machine, and the best way to play stuff like Virtua Fighter and Daytona at home. I found out later that Sega had hobbled the Saturn by denying development kits to western developers until right before the premature launch to beat the Playstation to the market.
People did buy the Saturn, but out of all of my friends, I knew only two people with a Saturn, and maybe three with an N64. Absolutely everybody else had a Playstation. I went that route because I loved Ridge Racer, and the idea of small memory cards was rather appealing. I got to play an import PSX right after it launched in Japan, thanks to a local game shop. I was hooked. Even got to use that crazy boomerang controller to play Tekken.

No one really bashed the N64 at the time, that I recall, but the fact that the games were $60-$80 was a real turn-off, considering minimum wage was $4.25 back then.

Wing Cap?

Never touched them until the gamecube came out, and even then it was only because someone got me a free subscription.

Should have tried flea markets, i was poor as fuck and i still managed to amass quite a few games from anywhere between 1 and 30 bucks a pop.

Saturn has a well-rounded library of shmups, fighters, RPGs, platformers, belt scrollers, strategies, and puzzlers.

N64 has… generic racers and kiddy collectathons, lol.

My N64 collection came from the tail end of the yardsale golden age, and FUCKING GAMESTOP not realizing they were dumping solid gold for the price of tin.

apart from the incendiary intention of the post, I agree. Saturn's library is extremely varied and many of its games are extremely good. Much less experimental but at the same time mechanically rich and a clear improvement over earlier games in the genre (compare Cotton FND to Cotton Boomerang MND)

Same here. I think almost no retail stores even carried games such as Panzer Dragoon Saga and Magic Knight Rayearth and were only available through mail-order by fans in the know, hence why they only sold about 10-20k copies. Japanese-only titles would have been completely unheard of.

I'm actually not very familiar with the saturn's retail situation. The launch was extremely mismanaged, and as I know it SoA did a poor job of supporting Japanese games which was the Saturn's main selling point - not games like Bug too or 3 Dirty Dwarves.

Shadows of the empire is objectively the best star wars and n64 game. buncha great games in that pic tho

Shit, shit, shit port, shit
Shit, shit, shit, shit
Great, good, shit, shit
Shit, shit, shit, good

I give your collection 2/10

didn't see the bottom row

shit, shit

Shit opinions; The post

Shit opinions 2: electric boogaloo

Not necessarily, it's just bernie stolar helped SEGA miss the whole JRPG trend that FF7 started, didn't help that they alienated the one company that was actually doing JRPGs on the saturn and caused them to switch over to Playstation.

The Saturn only has a select few of good games. Yes, it has good games, but only a select few. The N64 had less games then the PS1, but still had good games (And also had better texture handling and somewhat shadows as oppose to the PS1.)

Because you have games you like on the Saturn doesn't mean the other 2 are shit.

Everybody I knew owned an N64 or just a SNES/NES/Genesis. I was the only person I knew with an N64 and PS1, and I had never even seen a Saturn at that point.

I think the N64 had a fantastic library for what it was. The PS1 was all about expansive worlds or real life experiences, whereas the N64 (and I guess Saturn, though I haven't played much of one) was just pure videogames. Collect all of this item, solve these puzzles, fight these bad guys, etc.

surely you jest

N64 was the original NOGAEMZ.

mobygames.com/browse/games/n64/

336 GAMES, HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHA

Its true, even though Crisp Textures are less resource intensive.

1996 was fourty seven years ago man, it was a simpler time.

The PSX is a given for being able to find a lot of quality in the sea of shovelware, if only because of sheer volume of games released, which is why this thread is about N64 and Saturn.

That's more N64 games than I own tbh.

But the Saturn Couldn't even handle 3D Properly; so graphic wise, it was less powerful then the PS1.

In regards to its library, did it really have that many notable games?

Except the N64 had games worth owning the system for.

What the fuck?

I am being serious. The way the Saturn Handled 3D models as a whole AND Rendering made it very bizarre. For example, I think the Saturn didn't render models are triangles, but just Squares.

It could handle 3d fine, it was just so difficult to develop for that it took until 1998 for devs to wrap their heads around and release pure 3d games, by which time the console was dead. It didn't have the problems the ps1 had with its floaty textures.

Nobody knew back in 1993 which method of 3d would become the preferred rendering method, and sega made the wrong guess.

Square polygons are actually easier to render than triangle polygons.

Pain in the ass to make quads into triangles, but doable.

That's obvious.

It wasn't huge but it certainly has more good games than people are willing to give it. It had several underrated gems as well.

Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Mario Kart 64
Golden Eye
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Conkers Bad Furday
Banjo Kazzooi
Banjo Tooie
DK64
StarFox 64
Mario Party's
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Smash Bros
Pokemon Snap
Yoshi's Story
Kirby 64

Wave Racer 64
Buck Bumble Buck to the buck to the buck to the base
Perfect Dark
Star Wars Pod Racing (hit or miss title depending on who you ask)
Blast Corps
Motherfucking Rocket Robot On Wheels
Space Station Silicon Valley
Toy Story 2
Chameleon Twist 2
Bomberman 64 I, II and III
Gex II and III

I'm sure some anons hate some of these games but I'm just listing some of the games off the top of my head. If the Saturn has a bigger library of solid games fine I guess. But if I'm forced to be stuck with cardinal controls and a few buttons I'de rather play a SNES. But that's just me.

Pls leave the bias at the door.

Dude wat, that game is fucking garbage.

You're really stretching here. But i agree that without Rare the N64 would be a laughable joke.

I guess the fun I had was fake. But I already said people are going to disagree over some of the titles on the list. 1 out of the list isn't so bad I guess.

Not if you love collectathons.

I'm not saying the game wasn't fun, i'm saying it was a shitty, muddy, third person shooter that ran at 20 frames a second when there were more than 2 enemies on the screen.

Then don't play it. I still enjoyed it and put it on the list because it was fun and worth playing.

PS1 was, in america, actively marketed on channels like MTV

it is the normalfag console

Sony was a mistake.

Videogames should've stayed Sega vs. Nintendo.

Sega of Japan and Nintendo of America are to blame for Sony's success through the Playstation 2.

What? In West Europe it was the toy console with the very expensive game modules for children. Nobody got one.
Even edgy children liked playing "gayms for adults" moar, so they did go for Sony.
The Saturn was so non-present that I didn't even know that it existed. I think didn't even reach the stores and mail orders was something for neckbeards.

A lot of people underestimated Sony. They thought the PlayStation was going to be another CD-I, 3DO, Atari Jaguar or Amiga CD32.

And they couldn't be more wrong. By Christmas 1995, the PlayStation was already the clear winner of the battle, at least in the West. My favourite Sega magazine, for example, published its last issue in January 1996, because people (including many Mega Drive owners) were all on board for the PS1.

People were banking on the Playstation to be THE game system. The specifications and the announcement that it was going to be Sony's strike against Nintendo for the CDi was enough to get savvy people interested, and the demo screenshots dragged in the rest with all of the talk about so many polygons per second. Namco was supporting them right out of the gate, and with Ridge Racer and Tekken headlining the launch, and being damn good arcade games on top of that, the launch wasn't going to be stillborn. Every developer was promoting their in-progress works through game mags. I sold pretty much everything I had to get a Playstation shortly after launch, so I guess it worked.

It's kind of amazing to think the complete market dominance Sega had in Europe eroded to complete irrelevance in the space of one generation.

They fucked up gloriously:
Prices too high generally.
Some exclusive shit with only selected dealers getting the Saturn.

Sony did to Sega what they did to Microsoft in 2013. Just a complete marketing disaster for Sega. Pulled forward the release dates of their launch titles and the games were quite literally unfinished. Virtua Fighter and Daytona both had to be re-released. And retailers retaliated at not being consulted about the early release by sticking the Saturn in a dark corner.

I think it was one of the first cases of fans not forgiving one company's mistakes (those who bought the Mega CD or the 32X surely felt assblasted).

We saw something similar recently with the Xbox One release. Don't know how many units XONE has shipped as of now, but the first two years the numbers were ridicously low for a company that dominated the previous gen.

When the Saturn came out in my area, it seemed that only Toys R Expensive had it on day one, but they also didn't stash it away. It was kept on display right next to the Playstation setup, when they just had the walls of tags for games and demo consoles. Afterwards, I dunno, because I went to TRU all of like four fucking times between 1993 and 2003.

Without Sony the glorious 90s especially on PC would never have happened. The thing would have videogamecrashed in the late 90s already.
Sure towards the end of the PS2 era video games were basically kill (and Valve did their part to kill PC games).
But until then was a hell of a ride.

in a sheer numbers game the saturn has twice as many games as the n64, thus has much greater chance of having better games than the n64, and in reality it does indeed have more games than the n64 and many that are better than what the system has to offer.

congrats on reading because the entire OP is saying they're all great systems several times you fucking dunce

Goldeneye was the game that saved the N64. That pretty much became the system seller.

That was the game that got all the normalfag's attention and made that console worth owning at the time.

The N64 also managed to cash in on some of the Pokemon craze that was going on at that time. I know the only reason i bought one was because of Pokemon Snap/Stadium

neither snap or stadium were particularly good games. Interesting seeing how they're still appreciated.

They weren't, but kids at the time would eat up anything pokemon.

What a coincidence, Toys r us is the only place i ever seen a saturn IRL also, and it certainly wasn't hidden. They must have been one of the retailers that were a part of saturnday.

I'm beginning to think Nintendo made the right choice going with cartridges seeing how kids who grew up with the N64 treat the cartridges. If it was a disc based console, N64 games would likely be extinct.

Yeah that's why you can't find a single Saturn or PS1 game anywhere anymore.

Older audiences treat things differently, lots of Saturn and PS1 games are very well taken care of. N64, GC, SNES, NES are almost iconic for how poorly they're maintained. I don't know what it is. I work in a classic game shop and it's rare to get nintendo games that don't require magic eraser to remove deep bled sharpie or have plastic that's had the shit beaten out of it. PS1 games are usually in functional condition.

Doesn't help that people blew in Nintendo cartridges a ton, ignorant of the damage this does to them.

Not especially for PS1, before ebay buying used was a fucking nightmare because all the games i wanted would be scratched to shit unless i bought it at a pawn shop.

fortunately for damaged ones I have a professional disc cleaning machine available to me.

Which is, next to fucking nothing. At the very worst, you'll get corroded contacts, which take all of four seconds of wiping to fix with Hoppe's no. 9.

I've seen enough damaged carts to know this isn't always the case. Sometimes they are destroyed.

I was under the distinct impression it was a lot less popular in Europe and the UK than it was in the USA. Is this not the case?

Nintendo sold almost as many N64s in the US as they did SNES. It was pretty the only market keeping the system afloat, which of course Nintendo promptly returns the favor by taking the US for granted with Gamecube.

Does anyone know why, exactly, Europe+UK and the USA differed so much in the past with console preference? I do seem to remember hearing the 360 was not quite as dominant here last gen though that might be anecdotal.

NES: 22.88 NA, 8.15 EU
GEN: 16.98 NA, 8.39 EU

PSX: 38.94 NA, 36.91 EU
N64: 20.11 NA, 6.35 EU
SAT: 1.83 NA, 1.12 EU

PS2: 53.65 NA, 55.28 EU
XB: 15.77 NA, 7.17 EU
GC: 12.55 NA, 4.44 EU
DC: 3.90 NA, 1.91 EU

Wii: 45.38 NA, 33.75 EU
360: 48.95 NA, 25.82 EU
PS3: 29.34 NA, 34.41 EU

So yes apparently the PS3 actually outsold the 360 in Europe.

Europe was and probably still is mostly "PC" gaymers. Parents didn't want to buy their child the consoles or $60 games, when the PC they already had could play games for much, much less, even if the games were absolute trash.

That should be SNES in the fourth generation, obviously. Speaking of the NES:

NES: 33.49 NA, 8.30 EU
Sega Mark III: 2 NA, 6.8 EU

That was my first thought and helps explain why sales are lower overall but when you look at the numbers for consoles there's a distinct preference first for Sega then for Sony. If you look at the original Xbox, for example, it made up a great % of overall sales in NA than it did in EU.

greater %*

Rounding up we see this (obviously not 100% accurate since I'm ignoring the consoles that flopped):

North America: 94% Nintendo, 6% Sega (did I miss one here?)
Europe: 55% Nintendo, 45% Sega

North America: 57% Nintendo, 43% Sega
Europe: 49% Nintendo, 51% Sega

North America: 64% Sony, 33% Nintendo, 3% Sega
Europe: 83% Sony, 14% Nintendo, 3% Sega

North America: 62% Sony, 18% M$, 15% Nintendo, 5% Sega
Europe: 80% Sony, 10% M$, 6% Nintendo, 3% Sega (only comes to 99% total for whatever reason)

North America: 37% Nintendo, 40% M$, 24% Sony (now 101%…)
Europe: 36% Nintendo, 27% M$, 37% Sony

I doubt you can explain this with weebs either since Sony and Sega and Nintendo are all Jap.

You my nigga, those were fun collectathons. Jokes were less current-television dependent in Gex 3 so it was a bit easier to get into as a guy who doesn't give a shit about sitcoms and only a surface-level knowledge of TV programs of the era.

Games being a low-key pisstake of themselves was fun too since it was only brought up in a handful of lines (ie complaining about the level's theme), games only ever seem to take themselves completely seriously or go full-fucking-bore on the "WE'RE A VIDEO GAME XDDDDD" shit and it gets grating.

British Gex VA > American Gex VA.

Actually I don't think I've heard the bong VA in all my life, I'll have to give the Euro version a try and see how I like it.

There were two British VAs, Leslie Philips in 2 and Danny John-Jules (Cat in Red Dwarf, if you've seen it) in 3. I personally prefer the British VA but I think it comes down to what you grew up with and the differences in comedic style which are somewhat of a cultural thing. Still any excuse to replay Gex is a good one.

Collectathons in general have their own kinda magic, I can always give one a play through and like it even if I know where everything is or what's coming next.

I know exactly what you mean. I think it's partly nostalgia and partly how they can inherently be played at your own pace without being slow or boring.

General focus on mobility helps because you're always trawling through wide-open levels, so being able to get to where you want to go is a necessity. Tight controls and a double-jump or a naturally high single jump, long-jump, climbing on shit, maybe flying depending on what it is you're playing. Highly mobile games in general tend to be fun sheerly for the level of control you have if nothing else.

Nintendo never used to give a shit about Europe. They would release awful slow PAL conversions that nobody wanted to buy (they were still doing this all the way up to 2009). Games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 they never even bothered to release in Europe.

The N64 was the first somewhat popular Nintendo console in the UK because of Rare, since they knew how to work with the PAL format.

Before 5th gen, it was either computer gaming (DOS, Commodore, Amiga) or Sega.

True, PC master race originates from Germany.

you mean Australia

Here in Europe the N64 sold like shit and was landslided by the PlayStation.

The N64 had 2 games on release. Yes 2.

Europe is Sony land.

But Microsoft was SO close to becoming the new king. Ofcourse then the Xbox One happened.

Normalfag console?

It also is the only home console with uncensored niché Japanese games that 90℅ of gamers have never even heard about.

What is Nintendo and MS known for? Mario and Halo. Tell me that isn't normalfag.

Reminds me of how Donkey Kong 64 is often accused of killing the collectathon. Five characters who basically control the same aside from a few gimmicks, each with their own set of exclusive collectables differentiated only by colour, and way, way too many of them.

What is playstation known for? Not that garbage you're posting.

thats nice but the thread specifically mentions that the ps1 isn't relevant to the discussion here in the first 5 words

what killed the collectathon was a flood of shallow games with uninteresting mechanics, banjo kazooie was a step down from mario 64, but the trend continued well into the 6th gen when most of them settled for a feel of movement reminiscent and as slow as ratchet and clank.

fuck off

It happened way earlier with the KINECT in 2009.
The Xbone launch was already in the middle of that desaster.

Uncharted, The Last of Us and The Order.

Just to add to this, a lot of people forget about Sony securing the rights to have Mortal Kombat 3 as an exclusive on the Playstation for a good year or so. Sure there were 16-bit ports but if you wanted something even remotely close to the arcade version you had to play it on PSX. Which sucked considering the PSX port was plagued by a lot of limitations that would have been non-issues on the Saturn.

A lot of people seem to forget how popular the MK series was in the 90s. It was the normalfag fighting game of choice in those days.

My nigger. Banjo-Kazooie is a seriously overrated franchise.