Amateur gamedev general - /agdg/: tetrachroma dev shilling itself to a billionaire edition

Post your progress, ask any doubts you have about development, or ask for feedback for your game or mod.

Remember, there's #8/agdg/ in Rizon for discussion, we also have resources and FAQs in >>>/agdg/ and >>>/vm/

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/cnk3zr891i2q6te/PlatformingTest.gmz?dl=0
sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.4/start-cb.php
deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/
youtube.com/watch?v=_sjZJ9i_mH0
youtube.com/watch?v=FkTWBFYaJmE
youtube.com/watch?v=pSnYnB1_T6k
youtube.com/watch?v=MOvG6Zk-r98
dalolly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/817-Popeye.jpg
kyrieru.com/p/this-first-part-will-cover-many-of.html
2.bp.blogspot.com/-h3irsmG7Mtc/VimmCnxbp5I/AAAAAAAABvU/W-KI9yjxwco/s1600/yhwr5ytju.png
haxecoder.com/
sfbgames.com/chiptone
audiotool.com/app/chrome
spriters-resource.com/playstation/suikodenii/
cs.utah.edu/~jsnider/SeniorProj/BSP1/default.html
cs.utah.edu/~jsnider/SeniorProj/BSP/default.htm
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody
youtube.com/watch?v=lzwpbn1pS08
youtube.com/watch?v=2ywHHA-q-wM
docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/reference/custom_modules_in_c .html
blenderguru.com/tutorials/introduction-to-rigging/
pastebin.com/sP2JpcVh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Forgot my text

Some old shit I made

is it a bad idea to make a 2D game using the unreal engine?

It would certainly be interesting.

Reminds me of this old Source Mod.

not at all, it has a 2D mode built in

ok, time to read a lot of manuals then.

To the kind user in the last thread, please repost your platforming engine so I can try making a DKC clone with it, which I will then share on this or another AGDG thread.

dropbox.com/s/cnk3zr891i2q6te/PlatformingTest.gmz?dl=0
It's not really an engine at all, I just made a ball jump around. It should help you figure out how to make shit move though.

So I'm just getting started with SFML and I'm having a weird issue. Basically the test program will run fine when I tell it to run from the IDE, but it crashes when I try to run it from windows explorer. This holds true for both the Debug and the Release builds. I set up my IDE according to this guide.
sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.4/start-cb.php
Made sure I'm using the right SFML distribution (I was originally trying to use the not-SJLJ build which wouldn't even compile).
If I'm reading the crash message right then the issue is that it can't find the code it's looking for in the dll, but it runs through the IDE just fine, and I'm executing it directly out of the build directory - if it were seeing the dll but the code wasn't there it would be crashing in both situations, right? What's stopping it from using the dll outside the IDE?

Or am I missing something completely obvious and should have my face raped?

I thought we had established over the last few threads that unreal was a bloated piece of shit where people were getting 40fps on empty scenes and that any game that could reasonably be completed by the nodevs around here can be handled by something like sfml and you'd learn a lot more, no?

Which engine would be better and why ?

(Double post)
I mean 3d engine not 2d.

Dunno. Above you asked about 2D games but I'm guessing you really mean a side-scrolling or otherwise, 3D game where you move in only 2 dimensions? People shill the huehueBR engine a lot but I don't think anyone actually uses it. Unity is well… Unity. Try urho3d. You may also be fundamentally misunderstanding what a game engine does, if you have to ask "can I make X game with engine Y?" when in reality, you can make almost anything* in any engine. The best engines will really only handle 80% of the coding for you, and what that 80% is varies by engine. Let's say you want to make some kind of top down 2D rpg, but no one has made one in engine X, so people say it can't be done or it would be hard or whatever, but upon closer inspection, it handles any and all 2D shit you can imagine, you just need to code the movement, screen changing, and RPG system itself. No engine out there is going to be your dream game, all coded up and just waiting for your art assets to be placed in the appropriate folders. Not aimed at you, btw, I just hate the engine discussions that inevitably consume these threads.

Just use GameMaker you hack.

No, I'm not the guy who asked about the 2d engine, I was just curious about what do you think would be a good 3d engine and what would make it bloated or not lightweight. Also the Godot engine is pretty good but some stuff are semi retarded it also lack the user base that unity 3d has so, almost no tutorial you have to git gud.

If I wanted to learn GameMaker I would. I'm specifically trying to learn to use SFML.

Did you link the libraries properly ?
Because judging by the error message it appears one is missing.

I'm pretty sure I did. It's dynamic linking and I made sure the .a files were added to the linker in the right order.

Odd. Does it also happen with the release build?

Yup. Both builds run fine from the IDE but crash from explorer and cmd.

These pictures remind me of when I was getting into gamedev- it looks a lot like some screenshots I saved.

You're not going to make any games if you're stuck with making an engine, dipshit.

Use LÖVE if GameMaker is 2ez for you.

You sure they're both using the same version of the DLL?

Oh woops, I posted in the wrong thread

Oh goddamnit it I leave for a few hours and suddenly the old thread's off the board.

Does anybody have it saved?

I had it open in a tab a minute before you posted.

first of all I wouldn't use an IDE
It just adds another level of abstraction to your project which really isn't necessary and makes it so you don't really know whats going on
Just learn to use makefiles they are not that complicated

The error is related to the sfml-dll
I suggest making sure you compiled your game with the same version of sfml as those dlls are
If that doesn't work you can try compiling sfml yourself with cmake

SFML or SDL?

Nah but I have it open. Other than there hasn't been a new post for six hours.

Like said, this should have to do with the version of your dll being different than the one you linked. If it couldn't find the dll it would give a different error (try temporarily renaming the system dll to see the exact error if you want) and instead it can't find the code for that function in the dll file. When running through the IDE it uses the dlls in your C:\libraries\SFML-2.4.0\GCC-4.9.2-TDM-SJLJ\x86\lib folder, so even with a renamed dll in your .exe's folder it would still run from the IDE. My guess would be that the dlls in your .exe's folder are still the not-SJLJ version of the dlls, and simply re-copying them would do the trick.

.SDL requires more work, but is better if you want to learn how shit works. SFML is easier to use out of the box. SFML is most likely the better option for /agdg/ newdevs, SDL is better for people who know how to program at a high level.

The error you're having is a dynamic linking error. Since the program compiled and linked correctly, my guess is it's using the wrong dll when ran standalone. I'd say either your IDE is feeding it it's own dll which it keeps in a cache somewhere, or it's using a system-wide default in c:\windows\system32. When you run it from a directory it searches the current directory for libraries and loads them. Basically, when you compile and run it from the IDE you may think you're using the dlls in the second pic, but you really aren't. You're actually using some others. Also, I agree with . Use external tools for building. That way you know what's going on.

Where can I get those tools?

But SDL is lower level than sfml..

I personally use cmake, which is a tool for generating build files. It can, amongst other things, create an MSVC project that can be compiled by visual studio. I should probably point out that cmake is not a compiler itself. It just generates a set of files for a particular build system. I looked around and it seems compiling is really nontrivial on windows. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to how on linux you just do cmake, then make, then run your newly compiled program. Have a look at it, see what the process is like and decide if it seems like something you could figure out. Just remeber that it's a two-step process: generating build files, then actually building. Cmake can do the first, then something else will do the latter.

Yes, and? Lower level means it requires more work but gives more control to those who know how they can and want to control something. You seem to think your affirmation of what I said is a refutation.

He's probably referring to

fug u op

Made the noise more evenly distributed to get rid of the seeing double effect.

Well fug. I meant higher level of skill. Guess I'm retarded, should've caught that being ambiguous.

Looks better, but still feels like it's too much offset making it too distracting. Feels like it would just fuck you up at low health instead of merely increasing tension.

deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/

oh wow, programmers win again.
Voice actors and musicians BTFO.

Moon man moon man can't you see

Still neat though.

I'm more interested in the female voice part because that's something I physically cannot do.

I dream of an RPG/adventure game where voices, speeches and dialogue lines can be procedurally-generated. This might just be it.

Still has an issue with the quality and the Moonman-like intonation, but pretty sure that can be solved eventually.

speaking of music anyone know a good free music making software?

LMMS for FL studio.
Milky tracker for chiptunes.
Musescore for score writing.

New gameplay mechanic - umbrella gliding! Still needs work on the animations, sounds etc. but it's already quite fun.

SunVox

Can you make webms too? My browser doesn't support mp4

Looks pretty fluid.

And then they fucked her.

I'm making a turn-based rpg with the battle system looking like a more streamlined tactics game. Also mechs.

What do you reckon;
Voice acting or no?

Old man, I know it's you

If you have many unique mech pilots, then yes. If it's just several characters and the rest are mooks, then no.

Thank you fam.
It looks kinda fun, what engine are you using?

The SFML ebooks at $14.99 each whoo boy.

Does anyone want to give me them?

Voice acting is a big no unless you can get decent people.
Which you won't because you're new, and can't pay decent folk.

Case in point this guys series of vids.
Look at the first 3; basic overview, the microphone, and the acting.
But watch the last one if you want to do voice-acting (even if you're just working for other online schmucks) or you want a great way to filter out unprofessionals based on if their demo reel doesn't meet that basic standard (Name, some decent lines to show their best, well edited, good audio quality).
Also, learn to actually act and emote like a human being- THEN do shitty dub-anime voice acting if you've been asked to do it.
youtube.com/watch?v=_sjZJ9i_mH0
youtube.com/watch?v=FkTWBFYaJmE
youtube.com/watch?v=pSnYnB1_T6k
youtube.com/watch?v=MOvG6Zk-r98

Most don't know how to act, and the rest use shitty USB mics that ruin the quality of their audio.

When you're a small team or have less resources: Keep it simple, stupid.
The voice your players give characters in their head will always say the line perfectly if your writing is good. A good story and lines can be ruined by a bad VA.

Are you going to be able to customize the mech with different parts? Or would that violate the rule-of-thumb I just told you?

actually cmake works just as well on windows as it does on linux

UE 4 says they have something that lets you make stuff on a 2D plane, but use 3D lighting and partical effects.
You could also use 2.5 D and make it in a 3D space, but only seen from the side on.

IMO, look into Godot or other free engines designed for 2D. Don't want to invest in licencising for an engine that does 2D at second best.

wtf do you need that for
SFML is easy as fuck to use
also they have a decent tutorial on their website and the documentation is comprehensive

Thanks for converting for me.

Yume, a 3d game engine I've written from scratch.

i couldn't even install the fucking libraries

i came

What you should be trying to overcome isn't the feeling that your work is bad, but rather the flaws that "make" your work bad.

People aren't born with an inherent ability to do things; they start from zero, and they go from there. Admitting that you're bad at something isn't an insult, or giving up, it's a given condition that every artist has to deal with.

As for the feeling of nobody recognizing your work;

When I was a kid, I drew all the time. Everyone around me said my work was great. Constant praise. Yet, every month I would look back on my previous work and think "wow, I sucked back then!". I realized that frankly, nobody really knew what they were talking about. The flaws that I fixed, they never identified in the first place, so Being called "good" by them became meaningless. Before long, I began to value criticism more than compliments, especially when they identified flaws that I couldn't.

Compliments may make you feel good, but criticism helps you improve, and improving makes you feel good.

Long story short, identify your flaws and deal with them one at a time. Recognition is not something you're entitled to, but something you earn. Every artist you respect took years to reach where they are, and all of them sucked at some point.

As for college, whether I'd recommend it depends on the college (Make sure you research it, and go to the college beforehand to sit in on a few classes). Just keep in mind that it's important for you to learn on your own time too. College will teach some skills, but it will not teach experience. The time you spend working to improve on your own is what will set you apart from everyone else who takes the same course. Going to college generally doesn't get you a job, on it's own.

Now, the sprites. First of all, I dont know if you referenced this,
dalolly.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/817-Popeye.jpg

But if you did, you should generally avoid direct reference of images. References should be for making observations, and then using that knowledge on your own. I'd also avoid doing pixel art that is closer to "drawing", since a big part of pixel art is learning to work with small images.

As for the other one, there isn't much I can say. There's a lot wrong with it. Take a look at some other sprites up close, and try to make observations. You need to work towards something, and begin to learn all of the skills involved in pixel art.

After you've referenced some other work a bit more, also look for some tutorials. Try to absorb as much information as you can from anywhere you can.

I did one here, though you should focus on referencing stuff first.
kyrieru.com/p/this-first-part-will-cover-many-of.html
2.bp.blogspot.com/-h3irsmG7Mtc/VimmCnxbp5I/AAAAAAAABvU/W-KI9yjxwco/s1600/yhwr5ytju.png

As a final note; yes, you suck. Everyone sucked. However, you won't suck forever. You'll improve, and learn slowly, bit by bit. Eventually, you'll suck less than other people, and they'll say you're "good". That won't be enough for you, and you'll keep sucking less until you're either satisfied, or finally get the recognition you were searching for. Can't draw something? Spend an hour a day practicing it. I guarantee that the result after 20 hours will be better than the first.

you don't install libraries you compile them
either way the have a tutorial for that too

Yeah, I think I'll stick with no VO, or perhaps just grunts/mumbles/short calls like Zelda style.
Though Midna style with scrambled voice would be interesting too but I don't think I'd do that; it only really works because her voice is cute. Embed related.

Of course.
Why the fuck would anyone make a mech game without customization.

Fine because you are so pathetic ill help you
Are you on windows or lunix?

Actually nevermind that here is what you need

A C++ compiler, gcc will do just fine in most cases

Cmake should be installed and functional.

The sfml source code which can be downloaded from their website.

A OS that isn't hot garbage like mac OS or something stupid like that.

Will post the rest of the steps later

looks awesome. like usual
i hate to ask outright, but you posted a link to some haxe tutorials you made, and i forgot to bookmark them
pretty please

Here you go haxecoder.com/

pls rate.

QUICK, HELP ME AGDG! I desperately want to make a cute little, 2D meme game! What's the easiest and most newfaggot friendly engine to use?

0/10
Colours are a mess, shape is average at best, and it feels like you threw around a bunch of darker shades randomly to substitute for detail.

Gamemaker or Unity's blueprint sytem
Or Scratch.

A bearded girl?

Fuck I'm half asleep.
Unreal's*, rather.

Wants to be retro but wasn't even alive when the SNES came out and doesn't understand 16 bit graphics/10

Bearded lady with the legs of a starfish.

If heard about game maker, I believe it'll best for the top down game I want to make. I would like to also compose some shitty indie tunes, got any ideas?

Luckily we have other algorithms that are better at making music.

Go onto any old free audio website, grab some midi loops and bleep-bloops and then use an arranger like Audacity or whatever to make your shitty hipster music.

B-b-b-but I want to make my own music! Isn't there some shitty free online website that let's me put notes together or something?

Nope, you're gonna have to torrent fl studio or ableton or some shit if you want to make your shitty meme tunes. I always just made my shitty meme tunes by doing what suggested. Although my method involves using a video editor instead of audacity(I like the interface of Premier better)

if you want free shit, download LMMS

sfbgames.com/chiptone

audiotool.com/app/chrome

Thank you! My autism grows stronger!

only if you have the shekels and got an cheap acting school near, were you can bribe a professor to rent his students to do the work.

where are some tutorials for gamemaker that aren't videos

i dont want the docs

Kickstarter when?

download Dependency Walker. It will show you which DLLs exactly you EXE is using. It will actually list out all DLLs your EXE needs and where in the file system they are located.

I bet you have some old or incompatible DLLs somewhere in your system.

Isn't Kickstarter even harder to use these days than it used to be?

its like you want to kill the project

I dig the noise for when you're low on health, but it's also slightly obstructive. When in combat, with all of the flashes, sparks, and etc, it may get a little difficult to see what's going on.
Still, I like the idea of it.

To the user who was trying to play my game on reactOS, I am working on fixing everything, however its complicated, so its taking a little while. Maybe by tonight I will get it working.

Its just a pain getting things to compile for XP, I got rid of calls to initializecriticalsectionex inside of libwebp, but there are still the same amount of calls inside the exe- so I just need to keep working on it.

I am making progress though, it turns out that I was providing the linker with two different "libwebp.lib" files, so I have fixed the first issue. Now i'm getting other, more manageable errors.

most of my morning has been trying to get haxe and HaxeDevelop working

my guess for this problem is i downgraded something i shouldn't have;
i downgraded lime because it wouldnt compile without it being under 3.0, but maybe i downgraded openFL when i shouldn't have

remember remember, that your art isn't safe from memes

reminder love2d exists if you want to make 2d games and famitracker exists if you want to make shitty chiptunes

especially if you go to 4/agdg/

Art turned into memes is just free advertising.

look up actual pixel characters from RPGs or some shit. Arms that are away from the body look unnatural, and your character should never look like a transsexual starfish.

spriters-resource.com/playstation/suikodenii/

CHECK THIS SHIT

OBSERVE AND LEARN

pls stop bullying me

no

why would you do this

it was a bit barren, so we decided to spruce it up.

Also, the fact that the original piece is well made makes it even more tempting to do.

thanks dude

Holy fuck I never knew. Shitty chiptunes will go perfectly with my shitty phone game.

Also, it on another note, it's a good example of the golden rectangle

What if the middle of the screen was less scrambled?

just do the entire screen

Can you make a shader that scrambles the environment but masks out the player and enemies?

That may be good.
Since that way it's still an obvious effect that grabs the player's attention, but since the player (and the action by extension) are focused on the center, that area is cleared up for the player to see what's going on.

okay, here is some real progress. Previously there were two calls to initializecriticalsectionex.
Now there is only one.

Not in deferred.

8ch won't let me use my MP4 so I made this shit-quality-but-better-than-the-other-one weebm. Phone gemu I'm working on. Sprites are about 75% placeholders, and levels are currently scaled for performance testing.

Concept is basically that you get contracted to blow up debris fields and shit. Then you can upgrade your ship and buy licenses to go to new places with different fields.

woah this looks amazing. whats this playable on? html5 at all?

10/10

what's agdg discord?

flawless

I've gotta make an actual sprite at some point, but for now I'll just use it because I know it raises some old Japanese man's blood pressure down at nintendo.

I've been asking the same question for weeks now and I've never gotten a reply. Not once. Why is everyone in /agdg/ general threads a faggot?

GameMaker is for faggots, and if you haven't tried the official docs yet, chances are this is doubly true.

reminder

Should I make a game for the NES? I started reading through some tutorials and it sounds like its doable.

Have you already got tired of making things without a handicap and with convenient tools?

Having a handicap and no tools gives you an excuse to not be ambitious.

Another set of placeholder sprites done. Coins and gems look kind of decent now.
I also upped the pull range for them, so now you can just walk by and they'll home in on you.

I really wanna have an animation for the gems of some kind, though, but I'm not sure what.
The coins spin in place, but the gems are just kind of…there.

Maybe some kind of glinting or shining?

Pardon, another set of placeholder sprites replaced, not done.

I'm already working with SDL and have a pretty decent understanding of it so I will stick to it for now. Any suggestions on audio libraries? From what I've seen the documentation on SDL's audio libraries a mess.

make them bob up and down

I think you meant to reply to

yeah, I did, my mistake

I love it and I'm really hyped for this game but you really need to make less taxing on the machine.

Might begin working on a VR unity game. Everything major I've tried to work on collapses due to the workload, but I think this might work:

Attack On Titan locomotion using the Vive's controllers. The controllers can double as weapons and the source of movement, with an element of skill involved. Probably no more difficult than designing a map with energy pick ups.

I dont know if im going to be able to fix this. I cant find out what is calling the function at all. I might not be able to get it working.

love it

waterfalls of shiny objects, a better sound and that's some therapeutic shit.

I do, and I'm a little frustrated it ended up so demanding. But I can only really blame myself, since I neglected a couple weeks of doing test runs on the craptop.
I'm not sure where it began or what's causing it, but I need to put extra priority on optimization and toaster settings.

You might be able to do it with a stencil buffer, but I'm not sure how big of a performance hit it would have.

Okay, it is fixed. The next release (after I fix the other bugs) does not link to that function anymore, so It should work on reactOS / windows XP.

It turns out that I was using MFC instead of win32, so it was linking to that.

Im glad that this three-hour dependency hunt is over. I really hope it works.

I just want to tenderly love her so much

Then what else should I use? The only "real" language I know is python, and that's not for games and it's just a scripting language.

What do you mean?

>total bitch to load and save to file perhaps I'm just being retarded

How the fuck do I make an explorable map with zone or tile specific events? I want dem text based dungeons

Wait, you're having issues saving an array of structs? Just make some serialization and deserialization functions.

Is that video just trying to say "a missile moves to a new position" in the most redundant way possible?

I tried. My structure is basically:
typedef struct{ int x; int y; int type; //Flag int event; //Flag}map_tile;typedef struct{ int height; int width; map_tile **grid; //I just use a double pointer so I can access its elements using grid[y][x] instead of grid[y*height + x]}map_data;

But dealing with that damn double nigger pointer has been a pain in the ass in almost every function, including serialization.
Any suggestions or should I try solving the serialization issues first?

alright, sigma engine is now compatible with windows XP.

I'm still fixing up the code so that you can restart levels after you die without restarting the application, so once that is done, I will give out the new version.

what's the structure of map_tile?

so how are you allocating this? double pointers are not hard once you have some more experience with them.

maybe you should post your relevant code so that we can see whats going on.

anyone know where i could learn a thing or two about music theory and composition? i would like to try making a game but i always want something to work with to start, and i want to dip my foot into a little of everything yes to get a feel for it. But right now i have one problem with music and that is when i think of anything a bass line, or melody my brain tells me it it sounds like this song let me play that in you head, there goes my beat, any advise

you need to slow down a bit

Every fucking time

speaking of writing 3D engines, do you have any reading materials worth mentioning about 3D?

Speaking of which, playing Cave Story and destroying all the weapon upgrade containers before the Misery fight makes the most therapeutic sound. I hope to come close to that sort of feeling assuming I can finish my studies without a hitch.

not him, but these are nice resources:

cs.utah.edu/~jsnider/SeniorProj/BSP1/default.html

cs.utah.edu/~jsnider/SeniorProj/BSP/default.htm

nehe.gamedev.org

have those both bookmarked, meant along the lines of his 3D

it looks like he just holds the model for the entire level in memory and draws it all with a z-buffer

The engine looks tile-based, so you could loop through all the tiles and then draw the model that corresponds to them

of course im just speculating, your question is rather ambiguous

The basics of music theory are really easy, you can learn them in a night. "Advanced" music theory is really mostly genre specific terminology.
Composition is not easy, and while there are books and sites about it, I've yet to encounter anything decent.
I strongly recommend this video as somewhere to start. Whatever you might think of this guy or his music, his FL Studio tutorials are on point, and this is the best brief summary of the basic learning process that I've seen.

TBH suck it down and use grid[y*height + x].

The people who naturally generalize things like this in their head are probably better programmers/engineers than anyone in this thread.

Godot.

No, it's saying a missile figures out were it is after it's moved so it knows where to go. Don't underestimate how hard it is for a machine to figure out where it is in a fast enough manner in a non-ideal environment. A car's GPS for comparison only needs to know a rough position, has clear roads you're likely to follow, has a human to automatically correct deviation, and yet they still suck. A self-driving car would have a roughly similar system as in that video. And I think missiles may not want to get GPS information because it might make them more easily detectable.
tl;dr be glad you work with digital objects instead of real ones.

If you mean like that user, then no. People who overgeneralize are more likely to be ideaguys who have no idea how they would implement something not saying f9dfa1 is one, just that he shouldn't work on missile guidance. People who can think like the video are better programmers/engineers.

GPS receivers don't transmit. They're completely passive.

Just go ham, do both, but give people the option to turn it off.

SDL_Audio isn't too bad.

Personally I use PortAudio for interfacing the sound hardware and sample playback with Ogg/Vorbis for loading sounds. It's all in a very simple C wrapper running in it's own thread. It works and I've had it around forever. You might look at OpenAL if you want 3D positional sound.

does this guy just rub grease into his beard?

SDL2_Mixer is fine for most purposes.
If you want 3D sound, you can just grab OpenAL.

youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody
This guy starts from the very beginning and goes all the way into the most complex theory. He even gives helpful tips into how you can use these complex theories for specific stuff.

Make a group of "helper" functions to deal with the grid.

map_tile* get_tile( map_data* map, int x, int y ){ if( x > map->width - 1 || y > map->height - 1 || x < 0 || y < 0 ) return nullptr; int mem_offset = map->width * y + x; map_tile* tile = map + memory_offset; return tile;}// similar for set_tile()bool set_event( map_data* map, int x, int y, int event ){ map_tile* tile = get_tile( map, x, y ); if( !tile ) return false; tile->event = event; return true;}

woops, should be
map_tile* tile = *( map + memory_offset );

easier to just use a double array. why do math when you can just add pointers together?

map[x][y] is much faster than enclosing it in some function.

Are the Unreal Engine default veichle settings enough for a simple arcade racer? Think of Scud Race or Daytona USA

Fine then do it with a single indexed array since it to is faster

Ive been fucking around in FL studio for little over 7 years now probably. I think im doing OK but im having massive problems with mastering and making things longer than 30 second loops. I take it the guy has videos on those things? I personally dont really like how hes mumbling and i cant understand half of the shit hes saying but if its gonna help im gonna try going through the videos.

How is it better than gamemaker?

Seems like it, though his shit might be somewhat specific to EDM?
youtube.com/watch?v=lzwpbn1pS08 (song structure)
youtube.com/watch?v=2ywHHA-q-wM (mixing)

For one, it allows you to use python and c++ instead of GML or blocks of code. And shaders. And it supports 3D a hell of a lot more than GM does, it's still not perfect but is being worked on. And it's open source.

Yes it is. But you said you were having trouble so I think you should wrap up access to the array in functions and do error and bounds checking until you are more comfortable with pointers.

Im not focused on a single genre. The shit i do is whatever i feel like at the moment. The quality also varies greatly. Its a pain. Im gonna give them a shot. Thanks user.

not the person who was having trouble, check my ID.

I think the guy just needs to post some of his code so we can see what he has trouble with

really nice links, thanks.
What do you think of Renoise? I've been using it for awhile and it feels comfortable. Is FL worth checking out for someone who comes from a tracker background?

For you, my advice is to read K&R section 5.9

I already know how to write C, thanks

I wrote my games engine in C, so I do know how it works

Did you actually use K&R to learn it?
Hope I'm not sounding demeaning or something, I'm just curious. I'm using another book myself.

yeah I did, I learned all of the basics from K&R

I didnt understand the pointers and arrays part that well when I read it at first but I wrote a matrix multiplier as an exercise.

I also never picked up on pointers to structures until after a few months into programming, so all of my older game engines uses fixed-length arrays for everything. I never really read all of the book, but used it as a reference for when I got lost.

thanks for contributing to my pixelshit folder

gay maker

Since when did it let you use python?

Godot supports C++ now?

GDscrips not "really" python, but pretty much is python anyway.

Has for ages, maybe even always.
docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/reference/custom_modules_in_c .html

Finished tile rendering method, it can draw textures that are larger than 1x1 tile (pic related is 2x2), and it draws a custom border around it.

I think I could also do animated tiles with this method.

i made progress
however due do the dumb way i've done everything, the balls end up spinning when they "collide" with a wall, since i can't exactly figure out how to figure out which vector it collided with. so in essence the ball just spins until it gets the direction that will get it out of the border
i also made single lines filling up the largest area closest to it
i still need to make the balls/player check if they're crossing the player lines

oh my

How are you doing this?

It looks like you simply have a repeating texture that either does or does not get drawn at any given cell, plus your border that is drawn afterwards. I guess it works but i cant imagine it being very flexible

being a missile is hard

Sort of, it's actually pretty simple, but the narrator/writer is trying to put it into terms that a layman can understand.

Basically, it's accounting for the old position (vector position in local space) that it was in last tick, and the new position it is now in for this tick (new vector position in local space); thus subtracting these, and using this value to determine the new position in the "world space"… which is used in the next steps.
However, if the position in the "world space" isn't correct (i.e. on the predicted path towards target), then it has to correct the guidance in the "local space" of the missile to match the wanted position in the "world space".

It next has to calculate the course correction (they have a nifty metric used for how much correction (called: error), which is changed via the deviation in the values garnered, but I'll pass over this), which is mostly dependent on using this rate of change between each of these positions (such as angular rotation, and rate of change of position via the vectors thus acceleration).
Using said metric, and the values garnered from the last steps, it calculates the course correction in local space to end up with the correct course to eventually hit that world space position.

Each block, and each of their 4 exposed corners are added to the chunk as sprites. I can then either draw all of them into the chunk, or just the ones I need to update.

How is it not flexible? The border can pretty much completely overwrite the block texture if the block is not connected to anything else. The border sprite can extend half a block out and half a block in.

Bump question

I'm not sure where this feeling comes from, but I wish it would stop. All I ever feel like doing anymore is coming up with ideas.

Maybe I'll make a dumb shmup just to shut that feeling up.

Can you post a shot of her from behind? I need a 360 degree reference if I'm going to draw good porn of her

Got you covered

I'm not quite sure what exactly you want to know.
Do you want to know if you should install UE4 and use it for your project? Maybe, try it out along with other engines and see if which one works best for you.

Do you want to know if the vehicle movement component built into UE4 will work? It's made to be general purpose so it can probably handle an arcade style racing game. You will have to tweak and mess around with it to get it to feel right but that's true no matter what rout you take. If you already have a car modeled and rigged, in around an hour you can get it driving it around in UE4, provided you are following the tutorials.

Do you want to know if the "vehicle"/"advanced vehicle" starting projects they show on the "New Project" screen will work? Probably not exactly as they are, but like I said before they are made to be flexible. You can probably get something that feels close to how you want if you play around with the settings.

how the fuck do i efficiently implement efficient fog of war in my rts game?
I tried filling the whole screen with semi transparant grey pixels but it's slow as fuck.

We're going to need a whole lot more information than just that to answer your question user. You might have to do what you're doing with larger objects than a pixel, or maybe you can draw visibility to a low rez image and upscale it. For a tiled game you might be able to set visibility in your tile data. There's tons of ways to do this, depending on your game and the engine you use (if any).

just draw everything with an added black color, except for the visible stuff

These are a bit outdated I think.

Thanks fam

Seriously though, they are outdated.
I probably won't like what you're gonna draw but you might as well get it right.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to enjoy this when it comes out. I'm still somewhat bothered by the barbie face but eh… can't be helped I guess.

Well I'm certainly no Jim Lee, but I can promise that it'll come out actually looking like the character and it'll definitely have some semblance of quality to it

I bet the feminists did this.

I'm more worried about the contents.

also testing thumbnail scaling

I'm using sfml and c++
Every unit will have a circular radius of vision
that gets cut off by certain walls and objects
which means the shape of vision areas is pretty complicated.

what do you mean by this?

It can be complicated but it doesn't have to be as precise as the screen resolution. A fog pixel size that's as big as the smallest unit should be enough.

Imagine your whole map is 10000x10000 pixels. You then create a texture in memory of for instance 1000x1000 pixels, draw your vision areas on there, copy the part of it that's currently on screen, upscale it by 10 and draw it over your screen. The scaling method can make the effect look better or worse. And as an added bonus, the same texture can be used for showing visibility on a minimap.

Making a 2d action platformer with talking cartoon animal characters. Got most of the motion physics down, and trying to work graphics into my hectic busy schedule.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I want to use basic integer health, regen health, or a hybrid (like what Resistance does). Integer health is most fitting of the genre, but I have a good mental image of gameplay with the other two systems.

You're making a furfag game, aren't you?

i see you are getting your priorities straight

like hand holding, kissing, cuddling and marriage proposal?

Trying to avoid that, actually, but it is hard to make anything with talking cartoon animals these days without the comparison being made. I mostly looked at classic cartoons and old E-rated games for design inspiration.

They're fairly anthro in the sense that they use tools, wear clothes (pants optional), talk, have humanlike expressions, stand upright, etc… But they don't have humanoid bodies or furtits.

but im planning on having objects block line of sight
So the fog of war would have a pretty complicated shape
Also i would have to generate a texture every loop is that even feasible
I looked around and it seems sf::Texture does allow you to make changes to it at runtime
Interesting idea this is definitely something i should try to mess around with.

Trust me, I'm a drawfag

This kind of attitude is why furry in the west attracts so many actual faggots and edgelords.

Now where have I heard that before?

Kill yourself, furfag.

kek

This is an example of what I'm trying to avoid.

Shit taste in fetishes and shit taste in art. As expected of a furfag

No.

get back to work nerds

Hijacked my old world gen function. Slowly starting to resemble a gaem again.

for the tards that fell for the tablet meme, SunVox and Caustic still work v. nicely on Lagdroid

forgot muh embed

Pretty cozy TBH

Comfy as fuck.

Now set it all on fire.

You've made a lot of progress since the last post of your's I saw. Good work.

Do the chickens run away when you chase them?

If they don't swarm you after you attack them a few times might as well throw the whole game in the trash :^)

make everything dark that doesnt have a light source

I don't like it. Don't have any better suggestions however.

I like the idea, but I think that the distortion should be toned down when taking damage, and then when you die the distortion can increase linearly instead of jumping up to a signal lost when the animation is over.

anyone know any good videos for rigging models for animation in blender? I've been sculpting for about 2 days now and want to try my hand at making an actual model.

Can you localize the distortion effect on damage taken to just the attacker and/or just the sexbot?

blenderguru.com/tutorials/introduction-to-rigging/

need to adjust the gravity a bit

the effect needs to be more noticeable than that

Thank you. I can get them posed but there's a lot of deformation on certain bends. Figure I want to git gud at this to either contribute to somebody else's project or do some small animation project.

nice work user. What engine are you using? Or is it custom made?

Tits so bouncy they push her right back up again.

Is there a vid of your character fighting ?
I assume your game is going to be some DMC/Bayonetta beat them all, but is it going to require button mashing or getting gud with some kind of dodging mechanic ?

this looks good

I love you user

For each object in the scene do you make copies or do you use references to a single object and change position as needed?

hey sci-fi souls fag: I see you never addressed my point that this girl's feet are disproportionately huge from the other thread. If you didn't know, idealized female depictions in fiction emphasize some features and deemphasize others. Features that are commonly enlarged or focused on are eyes (larger and more expressive), heads (larger to show youth, or smaller to emphasize height/slenderness), hair/breasts/waists/asses are all symbols of femininity and go without saying. Features deemphasized or played-down/abstracted are things like noses, hands, and feet. Those three being pronounced are indicative of manliness, an earthy kind of physical strength, and roughness/unrefinement. You may have anatomically correct 3dpd feet (still too big) inside those clonking boots, but it's not working like you imagine it is. In short, your sci-fi mary sue is fugly. The jiggle physics are also over the top and disgusting, learn some subtlety while you're at it.

Ever hear of the uncanny valley? Getting something to look realistic, or to go a step further, to be beautiful and/or idealistic, takes a lot of fucking skill and, believe it or not, some subtlety. Not just setting jiggle_damper to 0.0. Faggot.

nah, you are just a faggot
if you dont like the jiggle, just ask for a jiggle slider

Not sure that's the right word to use in this context.

I didnt think about this before, but now I notice and those feet stick out like a sore thumb

hhhnnngggg

Tell me everything about the first webm from doesn't make you physically ill. It's not even a preference in 2d thing, it's just not well done for a 3rd-person female protagonist meant to be visually appealing.

This guy gets it. They're holding back the animation as well, making all of her movements look too flat-footed, slide-y, and overly… steady? for a character that otherwise looks dainty and graceful, while wielding superhuman strength.

There's nothing that forbids big honking feet though, it can be an acceptable stylistic choice.

nope

That's like telling to him to ask for a slider for the damage effect and that the dev should leave it to where it's insanely high and blocks the screen

If anyone is confused about what deemphasized or abstracted feet look like: see pics related. They are typically used to make the legs look longer/more slender, and reduce the character's perceived heaviness. As feet sizes go, we have from largest to smallest: this girl's > normal 3dpd's > dainty asian 2d feet > highly abstracted/deemphasized feet.

Large hands and feet we're so much a stylistic choice for 2d games but instead a limitation brought about by sprite sizes. Hence so many jprg characters were little more than a head taking up half the sprite, two arms under that, and two feet under those. Either way, it's not working in this case

sorry for asking for to much

You call those feet big?
Even the guys female waifu bot didn't have big feet, this is from a guy with big feet himself.

Her boots look like trainers a clump footed child might wear to their disability consultation meeting.

I'm sorry you can't read. I posted girls (iconic ones, and direct competition in the "android girl fights shit" space, btw) with small feet purposely to contrast with that guy's. I'm a guy too, who wears size 11s, and holding one of my shoes up to various parts of my body tells me hers are larger than mine, at least proportionally.

Sprite limitations weren't so harsh as to require megaman feet, especially considering roll did not start with those hooves. It was 100% a style choice in her case.

Now go ahead and try to tell me roll isn't a dainty qt, or that her feet don't add to the charm.
Protip: you can not

It looks ugly due to the disproportioning. Stylistic choice or not.

well that's just like, your opinion, man.

I'm not saying the scifigamefag did it well, though I think his problem is more on the animation/posture side, but my main point is that big feet can be done well by professionals

Correct. Inafundme has said that Mega Man feet exist because he was a big fan of Manzinger Z, which influenced design decisions when he was drawing the original concept art.
I cannot.

I think they're cute in their own way.

I see. I admit I'm not some kind of foot expert, I just know ugly when I see it.

Welp, there goes hours of my life as I go to rewatch/reread that.

Here's one.

ideafag here to be utterly useless and have others do the work for me

got any ideas you need help with?

Can you ideafag a spiritual successor to Deus Ex thematically?

How do I have a button enter fullscreen mode in godot? I know how to create buttons, just not how to enter fullscreen mode.

does not work

I can almost respect that.

You do not know ugly when you see it, you know what you don't like when you see it. And considering you whine about half the defining features of the character and game, I'm going to have to assume the game's just not for you.
I think the feet look cute, but I get off to girls wearing nothing but combat boots.

nvm I got it to work

possibly, better then Deus Ex though? unlikely

well at least i won't be alone in that then, that's basically what I did to myself while trying to think up vidya/anime with big foot characters.

I don't think it's possible.

well that's all a matter of how much time I spend and how motivated I am to keep with it

I feel as though if I take a year to come up with something I'll come close at the very least

That's okay I don't want to steal your time away like that.

If poorly done feet and clunky movement are this game's "defining features" then yeah, I'll probably have to give it a pass. I'd rather hear from the dev whether those feet are intentional and define his game or not, rather than from the Big Feet Internet Defense Force though tbh.

assuming and I suspect most games that of high quality take just if not longer to conventionalized

Just throw something in the general theme that is patently tumblr-unfriendly. Or be overtly like that yourself.
It will attract furfags and there will be porn of your characters, but as long as the craziest and loudest minorities have a problem with you or the game, they won't be the ones framing how it should be viewed.

Alternatively, embrace it and alienate a larger demographic for an almost guaranteed smaller following with much lower standards.

On an unrelated note, meme game had a pretty okay reception here for the first week or two.

I think Deus Ex took years of planning from a large team of developers and went through many rewrites, I don't expect I will get anywhere close to DX original.

well there's nothing wrong with working your way up to that point by making lots and lots of various quality games

oh it's you again

From an anthropological standpoint, it's more normal to like women with small feet. However, big shoes are cute in a way similar to how mittens are cute.

I have a theory that it's a similar reason to why we like cat paws. They look harmless. Look.

no. die.

already looks better than 98% of indiegames. cozy

3ab4 is just mad cause I don't share his enthusiasm for trash korean MMOs

The fuck you talking about? Your shit is 100% korean mmo. You think your mmd edit is western in any way? Seriously?
I'm trying to help you out here. It looks like those ice skate/snowshoe shits are what let her jump and float around, no? Try compacting that tech into the heel of something like pic related. Search "wedge heel" for more examples.

and you expect a serious response
You can help me by going back to steamchat.

Of course.

My bad, it's more like an F-22 raptor strapped to each foot.

You might just be the one who needs to go.

Good idea. I already had a few things in there they might find offputting, but I think I can play on these a bit more without getting too soapboxy.

Reposting your complaint as user and launching an autism crusade won't make it any more valid, though you sure can shit up a thread that way.
By the way, in case you don't remember, you were the one posting a korean MMO as an example last time.

If I was a footfag she'd be barefoot.

It's a game dev general, not a self appointed expert general. You made your opinion clear, and no one has to listen, so there's not much point in continuing down this road.

I think that was someone else. The only other time I mentioned it before this thread, I didn't use an image. Someone else probably picked it up. This was also a dozen or more threads back.

Still beats "what engine should I use?" posts.

The "dev" in the thread title is short for development, not developer.

this. although if dev wants to keep his Roll fetish he should really go full bell-bottom leg and not 10x scale Croc foot.

Accessorizing with naval vessels would be better, I agree.

It was you. And it happened right after I received the same complaint word for word in steam chat, for the first and only time until now. Pure coincidence.

If you'd just give me a little something about the design choices involved with the character's feet/footwear, this boring discussion could come to a satisfying conclusion.

>That jiggle
GAINAX would be proud

user, I'm fairly sure everyone in this thread agrees the salty one here is you. You haven't posted anything in this thread except whining about one particular dev. We get it, you don't like the game. Make your own, or get out of the thread.

Actually, I just tested this shit for 3D arrays and got some interesting results. I tested direct access to flat array, access to 3d array (array of pointers to arrays of pointers to arrays of ints, i.e. 2 levels of indirection), access with x, y, z to flat and all cases comparing code directly in the loop and abstracted behind a function, respectively. With -O3 there's exactly zero performance difference between using a fuction or not and there's no difference between a[i] and a[x * width_y * width_z + y * width_z + z] (magic of pipelining i suppose, or memory bottleneck). However, on my shitty laptop the multidim array was actually faster, in spite of the indirection, while on my server it was a smidge slower. Here are my numbers over 256*256*256 ints, averaging 16 runs for each test:

Intel Core2 Duo T7250 @ 2.0 GHz with 1GB DDR2 667 MHz memory:
dt: 494.607ms
dt: 484.054ms
dt: 341.774ms
dt: 340.3ms
dt: 486.709ms
dt: 491.745ms

Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4 GHz with 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz memory
dt: 48.6934ms
dt: 46.8391ms
dt: 55.4633ms
dt: 54.6348ms
dt: 46.8869ms
dt: 46.8663ms

I've ran the tests a bunch of times and the time varies by a few ms, but there's no trend of 1, 2, 5, 6 being anything but equivalent. Also, you can clearly tell when running that 3, 4 has a lot of allocation/deallocation overhead, though I can't be bothered to measure it. Either way the cost should only occur on startup or very rarely in a real application. So yeah, toasters handle indirection better for some reason.

Code:
pastebin.com/sP2JpcVh

That's rather interesting. I suppose "faster" was misleading. I just think it looks simpler.

I kind of forgot that compilers can optimize the differences away.

I understand the individual words but how you're using them doesn't make any sense.

Anyone here used the UE4 AI Perception system before?

Got a weird problem where AI can detect other characters using it just fine but they can't detect grenades properly. They will perceive and register it, but they will instantly lose it as soon as they do too; they do not do this for characters. Does it regardless of the scale too, so it's not because the actor is too small. I've tried a few different meshes and all share the same problem.

Will you later give us the engine, faggot?
Also change the default gun to a moist nugget.

so /agdg/, are you a 'real' programmer?

It's just the edge man.

yeah, i'll make the code for everything available so that you can see how it all works when its all done.

Unity scripting isn't real programming though.

is it true GameMaker can't handle things going diagonally? I'm trying to make Castlevania stairs

Engine devs. Not even once

What do you mean "diagonally?"

x++;
y++;

Do you mean slopes?

Would godot work for making a tactical rpg game?

You could probably make it work. I've played around with the 2d side of Godot and from what I've seen it's pretty capable. It's not made exclusively for, or specialized towards, Tactical RPGs, if that's what you're asking.