Tell me games that feel like you're in an 80's / early 90's action movie

Tell me games that feel like you're in an 80's / early 90's action movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GsB4Ix04UJ8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Max Payne

Almost every 2D beat 'em up with an urban setting

Contra The Hard Corps

Supreme taste, user

Metal Gear Rising if you treat it as a 90s future movie.

Die Hard Trilogy.
It has this musical fucking
GEM

Playing KoF or SoR does it for me. Even the XIII retained a lot of the 80s/90s feel.

F.E.A.R
Die Hard Nakatomi Tower
Hotline Miami
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior not the remake
Max Payne
Doom
Payday: The Heist
FarCry
Crysis
Streets of Rage

This is actually what inspired me to make this thread.
I was playing Final Fight and the grungy urban atmosphere really struck me as something you don't see these days and really seemed like a product of it's time.

quality fucking games

I know the perfect game for you, bro.

Far Cry Blood Dragon.

Metal Gear Solid

only some of the art has tumblr noses

Sleeping Dogs. Feels like a 90s kung fu flick.

This is what videogames were supposed to be. What happened.

People started thinking vidya needed to be a social commentary on the world, rather than an escape from it.

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GREAT DAMMIT
IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AWESOME
All well, I'm a patient man. The pendulum will swing back eventually. At least I have you fags to talk to while we wait.

This game right here, it's also pretty violent with it's dismembering system and enemies react dynamically to where they're shot.

The first reply to this thread wasn't Contra.
Unbelievable.

You also have kingpin life of crime, just imagine you're in a 80s troma film and you'll get the idea.

The original Killing Floor with it's grindhouse feel, and you also have Painkiller, it's basically Serious Sam but EDGY.

And of course, Just Cause 1 and 2 with all the crazy stunts you can pull of.

Well, that's what they were for those decades. Look at Duke Nukem or Doom or even something like Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi which are like the fucking epitome of how ninjas were seen in the 80's and 90's.
Thing is that faded away just like with movies. But I want to know all the best games that captured that feeling.

GTA Vice City

Is KF still kicking? Last I checked KF2 killed it by splitting up the few thousand players and is dying itself.

Yes, somewhat, maybe…I honestly don't know, but you bet there still some people playing.

Cod 4 IS 90s action movie the game.

This.

These guys got it right.

brakedown

this game is hard as fuck at the end i still can't beat it

that's because contra is shit

streets of rage always
would you dick blaze?

Shit I forgot about that game.

what part are you stuck on user?

when i was young i got so frustrated that i couldn't beat the Solus fight that i almost cried

plebs

mgsv tbh

double dragon

Blood Dragon was decent but it was way too short. I basically 100% it in under 4 hours. But it's okay for what it is.

"The Gauntlet "

they come in waves after that ive only made it to the 3 wave

I'd blaze her and Electra until my dick falls off.

Blood Dragon felt more like a Vaporwave style modern interpretation of 80's themes to me. It just lacks the spirit of the times.

just to be clear this isn't me i just look this up on YouTube same issue with everyone that plays it.

Blood Dragon was doing a parody, the thing about 80's parodies I notice is that there's only the vaguest shit in the actual 80's that applies. For example neon splattered everywhere was not everywhere in the 80's. Sure it was around but not to the extent it's become like the '80's look'.

been a long time since i played it so i don't really remember, but your energy slowly recharges? or at least there are some pickups in that room? I remember i cheesed it though, get in throw an energy orb on the small invisible ones, then runaway and do it again, whittle them down like a lil bitch, its pretty much impossible to fight them head on

i think that people nowadays making "80s homages" or whatever just mentally combine synthpop with blade runner and call it a day

i mean, i loved blood dragon a lot more than i ever thought i would, but yeah

It's interesting to see how a lot of modern interpretations of of 80's and 90's themes, especially parodies, don't seem to get how a lot of things where meant in a lighthearted , or ironic, sense. Folks just take everything at face value, nowadays.

Bad Company (the first one)

Hail to the Kings, baby!

Do games (or anything) parody the 90's as much as the 80's? What do they do?
Most prevalent image of the 90's in my mind is what I mentioned above about urban decay, abandoned warehouses and factories, empty lots with cracked asphalt, industrial zones, grungy back alleys etc because tons of action movies took place in those sort of places. It just occurred to me that video games from back then really nailed that look.

Actually that's the setting for a lot of modern day games, we are still stuck in the 90s, but just a lot gayer.

Very true user. We'll watch it all burn down together.

The Warriors, obviously

give it five years and we'll see tons of 90 "nostalgia", even though the only A E S T H E T I C S from the era are absolutely horrifying clothing/hairstyles and grunge

Urban decay and the "sprawl" was more of an 80's theme. (Although there were some great 90's interpretations of it. Watch Bring out the Dead, if you want to have a bad time.)

The 90's were more about "happy people", the resurgence of the middle class, and hip-hop negros to me. And, grunge, and disillusioned genXers (like me) who rejected all of it. Mostly by laughing about it and making sarcastic jokes out of it.

Oh, and "cool". "Cool" was an important 90's theme. And the butt of many jokes, and lighthearted interpretations.

Just watch the early seasons (1 - 10) of the Simpsons and you'll get an idea of the 90s

the 90s also gave rise to the "cool villain", and that's when we saw the antihero become the new hero

But I thought that was the 80's?
This is getting really confusing.

No, 80s was about being AWESOME, and with everything being campy and black and white.

Quarantine, you can't go one minute without pointless violence. Not recommended for long playthroughs because it's just one big slog since there is no break beyond transitioning between one level to the next. The video is pretty much accurate as to what exactly the game entails.

Nah man, that's 90s personified.

Soundtrack is pure punk/grunge goodness thought.

pull a kurt cobain and fucking seclude yourself from society

Deus Ex feels like a mid 90s hacker action flick.

B-but I already am.

You ask for early nineties.

I am not OP and OP asked for 80s

there was 80s nostalgia in the 90s though, we would have seen it by now if we were going to. early 90s has some character, but not much has changed stylistically from late 90s to today, it's been the same bland shit ever since.

And the early seasons of Seinfeld. Seinfeld fucking nailed the 90's feel.

Cool villains and antiheroes are great examples of the "sarcastic" and "ironic" rejection of the mainstream at the time.

compare, say, predator with hackers

predator is about arnold schwarzenegger and a couple other huge dudes being hilariously swole and lighting up commies and aliens with miniguns, and at the final moment it's a mano a mano showdown between arnold "get your ass to mars" schwarzenegger and the most advanced species of apex hunter in the universe. hackers is about a bunch of "cool" antiheroes tearing down the establishment

OP
>Tell me games that feel like you're in an 80's / early 90's action movie.

I retract my previous post.

Die Hard Arcade (renamed to Dynamite Cop) was the tits.

Crysis, best Predator simulator(if you dont suck at gaming)

FarCry was better for that actually since you were forced to hide and pick your targets more carefully.

You couldnt go invisible, but it worked much better since the enemies looked similar to the Predator Spec Ops, you had thermal googles, the levels were more open ended, some enemies have armor that work depending on their location and you would be completely raped if you fucked up much like the Predator if he went out of cover.

Crysis is a much more forgiving game

I like them both about the same, but FarCry is a much better Predator game.

Good music

Last I turned on KF, all the servers were either 150+ ping, had a shit ton of custom shit to download, or both. At this point, I'm thinking KF might be dead for me. Really sucks, cause I really liked it, and KF2 certainly isn't doing anything to fill its shoes.

Fags.

Very overlooked game. Definitely feels like a nineties Hong Kong cop drama, only much better.

Dynamite cop.

gta v

I'm in the same boat.
What a shame. It's such a good game.

Want the Holla Forums answer? The jews ruined them like every other MALE hobby.

Serious Sam > * for 90's action movie feels

there is a new kf

not at all

It's like you can feel the virtual babes

youtube.com/watch?v=GsB4Ix04UJ8

Devils third, shits over the top as fuck and even has a russian duke nukem as a protagonist.

A lot of Modern western developers(also modern filmmakers) ignore or are to stupid for the suspense curve.

The japaneses are still the only one who cares to increase the curve.

KF2 looks like garbage user.

You know, I couldn't put my finger on it but I think you hit the nail on the head there, user.

What's the definitive Painkiller game? There are so many editions of it.

Fuck you retard.
The game is fast-paced FUN, free of SJW bullshit.

what are yo utalking about? it's better than the first one

No it's not user.

Die Hard Arcade

So video games were always supposed to be movies?