Do I need to play Witcher 1 & 2 before 3...

Do I need to play Witcher 1 & 2 before 3? I had no idea what was going on in The Witcher 3 so i stopped and started playing 1. I dragged myself to the Cockatrice fight in the sewers but I just couldn't go on with this shitty gameplay. Should i just watch a playthrough?

Not really

The villain doesn't matter to 3 nor does Siegfried of having.

Or Yavin.

Why would you want to play The Witcher 3?

if you hated witcher 1, there is no reason to play witcher 3 other than the story.

Yes, you have to play through all of them user to get the full experience.

You don't need to play any previous games to understand anything. It's actually better if you don't play them because you'll be fucking disappointed as none of your choices in previous games change anything in W3

Gameplay is fun so far.

I don't really recognize the characters that I'm supposed to care about. I'll take your word for it

I don't know user, the first one is pretty shit and I'm sure that I haven't gotten through the halfway point.

The combat is fine. It's a little bland but serviceable. What's your problem with it?

gameplay's a million times better in w2 and w3. w1 was a huge turd.

My problem with it is that the combat is terrible. It's just a triple click sequence and repeat, rock paper scissors depending on who you're fighting.

Witcher 1 is the best game in the series. I'll leave the plebians to argue over which one takes second place.

I suppose you should at least play #2 since it's closer to #3 and introduces you to it. But your taste is shit.

Then start at 3, but you're never allowed to complain ever again about game developers giving previous games little roles in the sequels anymore.

What exactly were you expecting? These games are more about their stories, anyway. The combat is just there to facilitate that story shit.

Play W1 and then stop. It gets better after the sewers and I'd probably treat everything before as an extended tutorial.

Playing a trilogy at the start of the game? Pfft, what a novel concept.

Didn't another user in this thread specifically say that the 3rd game disregards your decisions anyway? Even if I complained developers wouldn't care

I remember when the big circlejerk started when Witcher 3 was announced and I saw cool gameplay and combat so I got excited. I thought Witcher 1 would be a dumb downed version of that combat. It was literally click click click repeat. I was just disappointed a bit.

I guess I'll reinstall it and probably delete after 5 mins for the 3rd time

Attempt to post number 7

W3 is brainless shit, but I can't cure your being enamored with shallow open world gimmicks, and it's probably those that are deceiving you into thinking the combat is good in any of the games. Sword combo animations got less crazy and signs, bombs and traps started working properly, differences end there.

What they say about the story picking up towards the end of witcher's second act is true, for what it's worth. Nothing wrong with using a guide if it means getting that shit with the golem and the druids done quicker.

Yes you do. What kind of stupid question is that?

Try some mods to mix things up. I also reinstalled W1 three times before finally finishing it from start to finish on the third time with mods. MY mods were the scabbard mod, the Rise of the White Wolf mod and the FCR mod and I really enjoyed all of the game besides fist fighting and the final boss.

I'll check out those mods. I may have to restart because I'm getting shit on by some random thugs after forgetting how everything works. I'll be determined to finish it this time. Thanks anons

FCR is much harder than the original game so you might want to skip that.

Why on Earth did you install that before beating the game?

I like a challenge and the hard mode of W1 really wasn't up to my standards.

Is it fun?

Most of the time, sure. Bosses that can kill you in mere seconds before you can do anything? Not so much. Fucking Azar Javed.

Maybe I'm just not getting the combat, there is a dodge but it's a slow animation compared to the enemies attack so most of the time it feels like a damage race. I had trouble with the pack of green wolves boss in the village

The dodge is more for re positioning than actual dodging. There is a dodge mechanic but if memory serves it's just a random percentage just like the parry mechanic.

Use specter oil or fast style on the barghests. Monsters become a bit more manageable after you get the silver sword from the second act

its still shit and casualized

More like

I do use any potions I can get my hands on. I thought the whole thing about Witcher gameplay is being a monster hunter and preparing for each monster you plan to kill.

still nowhere near as bad as w1's tap tap tap combat

Some decisions carry over. The biggest one is probably your decision at the end of the second game.

only if you picked the popular route of the second game.

1 & 3 are average and 2 is garbage. Read a synopsis on 1 or something

Boohoo it won some awards and was ported to consoles. The game is great.

What's the popular route? I went with Roche because he trusted me and got me out of jail. Is Iorveth really the popular choice?

What decision is that? Killing or sparing the kingslayer?

>mfw doing a run of the mill contract and you run into motherfucking Letho

I just realized that I never met Letho even though I spared him in The Witcher 2. What the fuck.

I liked 1 more until the final act when the story got shit. All the nuance disappeared in act V with Siegfried going full 14/88 and the main-villain is introduced with bullshit dialogue about saving humanity by breeding super-soldiers or some shit. Also, I think it's implied that Alvin is the big-bad but he's also a timelord or some shit.

Some of the gameplay got worse in W2 but it was an overall improvement over W1 easily. The biggest grudge I have with it was butchering dice poker and slow-as-shit movement speed

That sounds familiar but I've no idea who that is.

It was in Velen. Some woman asks you to go her old estate and check around for monsters and to find out about her brother. After some investigating you head into a barn and find him.

Either you missed the quest or the data didn't carry over.

I did that quest, but he wasn't there. It doesn't help that there were like 50 different save files to choose from when I imported my Witcher 2 save with no indication as to which one is the clear data, maybe I picked one from before that choice.

But W1 combat was just a series of quick-time events and fist-fighting was so easy if you just wailed on the fighter. Fist-fights became my go-to solution if I needed quick cash and I never lost. Just click to attack then just before the animation is done you interrupt it with blocking and then click again. Congrats you can now abuse the shit-fighting system to beat up anyone without spending any points into it.

fify queer

roche is the popular route.

Always play in production order, you dumb slut.

The witcher 1 and 2 were the best ones.

Liked 3 though, Holla Forums loves to bash it but I had fun. Got the bad ending, and thought it was the perfect ending.

No, but fortunately the games are shit so you don't have to. If you absolutely must play them, 1 is the least shit and you can ignore the other two.

A better idea would be to just read the books because they're merely mediocre instead of straight up babby's first RPG garbage.