What's the point of better graphics if the gameplay is garbage?

What's the point of better graphics if the gameplay is garbage?

Investors and executives are easily impressed by shiny graphics shown off in 2 minute clips.

What is the point of paying 70 bucks a year to rent games and enable online?

What is the point of never dropping prices on their games?

What is the point with all the mobile ports?

Playstation keeps sony alive but apparently not much longer.

Apparently making better graphics is easier?
That's the only excuse I can think of.

That's also a good question for PC games.

Games need to be big-budget blockbusters nowadays

No it isn't you dullard.
Most successful PC games run on toasters.

This, and don't forget the easily wooed casuals there were people genuinely excited for the Order 1880 who are buying this shit with almost no question based on the graphics. Just regret that they bought a piece of shit, but they'll never learn.

This is true since graphics have a definitive answer for whats good and what's not (Highest resolution with clear textures and steady 60 frames). It's not the easiest to accomplish on these shit boxes but there are ways around it. Also it's easy to show off good graphics.

Meanwhile Gameplay is more subjective and is based on feel. Also gameplay involves being diverse or doing something really well with game modes or mechanics. That's just not something game devs seem apt to do these days as it takes time, which they don't have a lot of when doing AAA games. And while you can show off gameplay, it might not translate well to the viewer Or since everyone is so wired to only go by graphics these day say the game is shit because the graphics are shit in the video meant to show of GAMEPLAY

yeah, but how do y'all explain minecraft then.

For the most part games are sold on their graphics but it doesn't mean games can't get by on their gameplay (especially one as easy to digest as Minecraft). Word of mouth marketing got Minecraft where it is based off the gameplay that attracts autists like flys.

But Triple A game devs need to make due with 30 second ads where ever they can stuff them and make them as pretty as possible. Go look up a minecraft video (one that's just gameplay if you can) and think to yourself, would you buy that ugly shit.

Minecraft is almost the exception that proves the rule.

There's also the fact that Terraia has better gameplay then Minecraft. But Minecraft is 3D while Terraria is spritework so Minecraft looks more graphically impressive.

Pretty graphics will grant you the money of alot of retards no matter if the game is good or not because they are, infact, retarded.
There's people out there that will actually argue that a game that is objectively shit in the gameplay department is better than your objectively good and enjoyable game just because the latter has worse graphics.

Minecraft's 3D is garbage because it's the equivalent of "retro pixel art" but instead it's "retro low poly" where retro is mistaken for just plain shite.

man, why there's no more low poly shit.

imagine something like mario 64 but with HD textures.

HDR is a free update to all PS4s old and new. nintendogaf shilling at its finest.

Apparently Spire is trying to do that sort of stuff but I still haven't seen any gameplay of it, only those gifs.

everyone can appreciate good graphics.

Not to mention Terraria's spritework is gorgeous. However, while hipsters love to jerk off about how retro a thing looks they actually shy away from actual retro things like 2D because it's "outdated".

IDK I'm just talking out my ass trying to figure out how Minecraft got popular despite looking like ass.

Cute spider by the way

Because games made the move to be more "realistic" so no more characters or outright cartoons that can do low poly well. It ties into op's question of better graphics over gameplay.

as opposed to the superior gameplay of what?

older games have better gameplay, many of PSX and N64 and snes games have excellent gameplay.

Easier to trick normalfags in the marketing material of course!

It is. A lot of games have some gorgeous spritework, even if they do fall into the trap of inconsistent graphics(see: Shovel Knight with some enemies looking like they've had a lot of effort put into them, like the griffons, and enemies that look like they were just shat out by some tool in 30 minutes like the red bugs at the start of the game).
I just wish more people would gravitate away from this "wow so retro" aesthetic and make their own or explore something else. Spiral Knights had some gorgeous low poly stuff, Dustforce is a breath of fresh air compared to most other 2D platformers and The Way has some really good sprite art backgrounds even if anything else in the game sans the puzzles sucks donkey dicks.

Do you want to _ it?

Because which do trailers show show more, great gameplay or shiny pre-rendered graphics?

so if your standard is something that hasnt existed in 20 years, why are you on Holla Forums and why do you keep buying games?

You have to be joking.

I play mostly older consoles.

sorry if your criteria of good games is mostly shinny realistic 3D.

I rather play gnomoria or DF than some shit like uncharted.

What's the point of calling it "better" when graphics haven't improved in years?

Because making a pretty package to trick retards into buying the game is easier.

Graphics not equaling great gameplay isn't new. Remember CRYSIS? Nobody says it's a great game, it's literally just a meme benchmark program.

I dunno, user.Have you seen Black Desert Online, especially the character creator? That's pretty crazy.

Money.
It lures in normalfags.
/thread

This, by the way. Old PS4s are getting something akin to a graphics driver update by the end of the month, apparently.
PS4Pro is simply a somewhat beefier PS4(Slim), and titles post-release support both natively. Older titles require a patch, if I got that correctly.
Still, it's weird to come out with that now. I don't understand what the market for the Pro is supposed to look like. I don't see any reason to invest into one.

People like to see pretty things.

it's easier to sell graphics to impulse buyers than gameplay. With gameplay, you have to ask a potential buyer to dedicate 10-30 minutes to sell them on a product while pretty graphics can impress a normalfag in a 30 second commercial.

because the buyers don't actually play video games and the jews behind it just want shekels.
It's also one of the reasons sjw shit is so prevalent and games are getting worse and worse, when you want to make a good game you pander to the people who already bought your game, when you want to make money you pander to the people who haven't bought your game

What's the point of better graphics if there are no games?

We can't help it if you just build ugly houses.

Why does your game look so shit?

I just googled "Terraria screenshot", looks exactly the same as all of the advertising material on Steam or GoG

The "house" isn't what makes it look ugly

It's a lot blurrier than the game itself.

Not saying the game is amazing looking, but it doesn't look that bad.

whats the point of posting on Holla Forums if you dont like video games?

funny story. The spritework was originally thanks to the dev's crying and begging texture pack artist over on the minecraft forums to do it for free and the original sprites where shitty edits ripped from final fantasy.

I was gonna say I'm sick of the bullshot trailers but then I realized that would be stupid. I fell for the same shit as a kid. I thought the Killzone 2 reveal was real. There's always going to be new kids to fall for this bullshit.

They still are.

since when did sony turn into a bunch a gay niggas ?

:^)

:^)

Well shit, I was 17. How embarrassing.

Is this the problem? Are people here really too young to understand what the term "spritework" means? Whether or not the house was designed well isn't going to change what the fucking sprites look like

To sell you on graphics, not gameplay.
Are you retarded?

The funny thing is, most of the shit they showed off looked to be running at 30fps.

They tried so hard to rush progress that they've all but killed an entire hobby for money. Really, they've taken more steps back than forward.

are you too young to admit your house is what the younger brother made out of the leftover legos when mom forced big brother to play with him tier?

I understand that reading is difficult, like reading filenames, or reading the post by the other moron who assumes I play a game for autistic 12 year olds.

Doesn't youtube cap fps though?

Not anymore. Jewtube can now run 60fps.

so youre either 11 or just worse at video games than 12 year olds. good thing youre on Holla Forums, maybe you can learn to be less shit

Are you actually retarded?

literally lmaoing @ you fam

It's called "style over substance", and it sells extremely well thanks to the simple-minded mainstream market.

At least post a current version of the game if you're going to shit talk it. And post something featuring something other than the oldest sprites in the game.

congrats user you proved him right

Nothing, that's why i use an AMD 66XX. no good games exist past it.

Beautiful spritework, truly stunning.

This is real.

This isreal.

This israel.

Why ???????????????????????????

And don't forget.

I want one

Chad Warden would be disappointed in Sony for that gay shit.

it's possibly the first time sony lost

Why does Reddit have such a boner for that Game? Syaing it's the best shit to come out this generation by a mile when in reality it's fucking boring and has a shitter story/characters than Gay of Thrones.

the only reason we don't have full on bone/ps4 threads is that half of the board will shit on it, but the other half of the board actually bought a last or current gen console.

redditcore
like bloodborne, ds3, CS:GO, dota and so on witcher 3 is part of redditcore

And Overwatch.

great post

all redditors are plebs, there's your reason nigger