What it is with companies owning certain IP's that they either treat it badly or pretend they don't exist?

What it is with companies owning certain IP's that they either treat it badly or pretend they don't exist?

Especially when it's an IP that should have mattered to them or one that they may have never even own before but bought it (or stole it in GB's case).

Hoarders.

Hoarding is a mental disease that needs treatment.

They don't think it'll make money or think it's old, gay or stupid now or something, generally. Games are ridiculously expensive to make now, so publishers don't wanna do anything without 100x returns anymore.

Also they often buy studios solely to gut for staff or to get rid of competition.

Games are still a massive money and time sinks when it comes to most projects.
Say Sony make a new Ape Escape. If they spent $10 million on making it and marketing it, the whole shebang, would they get that back?
Especially considering the overwhelming majority of people playing games right now have no idea the series even exists.
At the end of the day, it's a very hard sell to investors.
Which is why I'm baffled we don't see developers looking at indie projects or fan games, and working with them. I'm sure that the guy who made AM2R would've gladly taken nothing if Nintendo put the game up on the Nintendo store for $5~.

But Don't japanese games usually take less money than the ones in the west?

Nasu treats anything that isn't Fate as dead and won't work on the Tsukihime remake VN since he gets Souls games from Sony for free if he just works on Fate for the rest of his life

You're probably right, but it's probably that there are more cheaper games made in Japan, as well as the fact that they are cheaper to make over there.

I'm pretty sure everything in japan costs more and there's less people to sell stuff to.

I remember hearing they had a smaller market compared to the US.

Games cost too much to develop. If I had a tech company, what I'd do is try to make a console that's maybe a little above the power level of the original X-box and try to build it up as a platform for lower budget titles. Maybe it wouldn't work at all, but it sure beats chasing the money sink that is modern game development.

Blame the artist

You must be retarded if you don't know why.

because God of War sold far better than Ape Escape ever did

sage for shit thread by people who can't connect dots themselves.

Not entirely true, there's nothing stopping developers from making games with low fidelity visuals. Games like Minecraft, Terraria, Animal Crossing new Leaf, and Mountain Blade show that visuals don't matter dick for strong selling games.

Also your console idea is retarded, and the Ouya and the Nvidia Shilled back up how retarded it is.

The Ouya's problem and the Shield's problem was that they both basically just played cellphone games. Technology peaked in the 6th gen when 3D was fully realized, but didn't get autistic about lighting. Minecraft, Terraria, and Mount and Blade all took off on a platform where the market was open enough that they could sell regardless of tech standards and they were essentially indie games like the kind you'd find on XBLA or PSN. Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony would not allow a commercial release of a 6th-gen quality game on their consoles that is an actual game instead of an indie sideshow. What I'd aim for is a middle market where a reliable return on investment could happen for games that can't move Asscreed or Cowadoodee units, which is something that the games industry doesn't have. And no, mobile isn't there.

I choose to blame you for posting it

who's the thick bitch

Loli drawn by a shit artist, newfag.

It's retarded on more levels than that, hardware manufacturers won't want to make you a system at the tech power of the Xbox because it's cheaper to make one more powerful because they don't fabricate chips that weak anymore and the price of making newer more powerful hardware decreases significantly. the Shield played more than just mobile games, it even had games only for Shield and not other mobile platforms like MGR, Doom 3, Resident Evil 5, The Talos Principle and Trine 2, of course those games are also on PC and run better on PC but the Shilled was more than just mobile.

Technology didn't peak in the 6th, gen, you can't do games like Dead Rising on 6th gen hardware or From Dust, or TES Oblivion with it's vast amount of scheduled NPCs, or FPS games with massive teams on both sides, unless you want severely cut down ports missing the features that made those games what they were

The only reason you want a system with 6th gen power is because you have hard nostalgia for that era, there are no hard limitations for visual quality in games other than looking nice and there are plenty of nice looking games that have low fidelity graphics or at least relatively low fidelity graphics.

I hope to never see such a system, just make the games you want for PC, it's the ideal platform.

Ikusagami had 65536 enemies onscreen at once and didn't slow down at all. It's a budget PS2 game.

Terrain sculpting has been in games since the 80s.

Shenmue, Radiata Stories, etc.

This is actually legit, because packet optimization can only get you so far with 56k. Even so, few modern games even reach 64 players (something Tribes did quite handily in 1998).

Is this better?

Nathan > Lara

I bet they're laughing at Jak's corpse

what the fuck is a yumi?

uncharted 1 and 2 are fun
but not better then Tomb Raider Anniversary

Why would you ruin Yumi like that
Why would you willingly take a cute loli and make her a fat hag

This

….How'd her ass get on her upper front?

WAIT SHIT I FIGURED IT OUT

SHE'S JUST A LOLI IN DISGUISE