Newfag Problems

Alright, Newfag here with a question I'm sure Holla Forumscould answer.

I'm interested in making games. I know most of C++ and a touch of Java. What would be the best place to start just to get my feet wet? I'm looking for little to no financial investment, but I've got plenty of time to improve my trade.

Any suggestions?

If you don't program your game from the ground up in assembly, you don't know SHIT about videogames.

hcs64.com

Try and decode new music files. It's simpler than cracking a console but will still pose a challenge.

You should get familiar with Unreal, it seems to be the way of the future.

Try id Tech 4 GPL.

Pick up unreal engine 4 and go look up tutorials on a basic game mode. Try start small like making a pong clone, then move up making sidescroller

just use id tech *

It's been a while since I've seen such innocence, it's sorta cute. If you need technical help there are a couple of tech boards around, there's also game development boards, and a general of sorts for ideafags. If you're actually going to get shit done, remember to stay on the designated thread until you have something to show for yourself. Making your own thread for an idea is just asking for it to be saged to death.
You should start fucking around with unreal engine, that's a good place to start if you're inexperienced

I'd like to get to that level, but I'd also like to make so simple stuff first to get use to making games and finding what consumers enjoy.

I'll give Unreal a try. I don't know dick about 3D modeling though.

If only we had a recurring general, perhaps a gamedev thread aimed at amateurs. Perhaps we could call it the "amateur gamedev general" or >>>/agdg/ for short

We don't need a third duplicate one-off thread about this shit.
If you're too retarded to look at the catalog and follow basic board rules, you're going to be fucking killing yourself by programming.

Thanks mate, didn't mean to post on the wrong board. I'll wander around to other boards if I need more help, but in the time being, I'll have to check out the Unreal engine.

Thanks for the feed back. It makes me feel good that there will always be someone pissed off over simple mistakes.

that's your first mistake
pray that it's your last

Lurk moar is in effect here, so take your time and if you decide to come back to Holla Forums then you better have something good to show. Good luck on your endeavors

Grab SDL2 and make something brain dead simple, like pong.

Depends on what type of game you're trying to make.
Unreal Engine 4 works for everything, but you'll have to learn the engine first. I'd recommend to start learning blueprints and the general use of the engine and then go to C++.
Unity's also pretty good.
If you're doing a FPS, any IdEngine or UE4.
Any other type of game, there's a specialized engine out there for it or UE4.
Only make your own engine if it's a simple game or if no other engine can do what you want and it's an important part of your game. Or if you're a fucking masochist that wants to spend more time making an engine than making a game.
Or if you really fucking hate EpicGames and don't want to give them money.

Actually scratch
Make frogger. No need to start with physics stuff for that.
If you're actually interested in learning you should be programming from "scratch" with SDL2 or an equivalent library to help, not learning some fancy engine.

I'd like to get to the point of FPS and similar things, but I know that can take a lot of knowledge and I'm not at that level yet

I like the idea of making a fogger knockoff. I'll check out SDL2. Thanks for the input mate.

Don't use Scratch though, shit is retarded.

Want to make games are build the guts from the inside?

Making games: use GameMaker, RPG Maker. Draw some pixel art. outsource the music / pay for some royalty free shit.

From the ground up: C++, GLFW, PortAudio, Raknet, Ogg/Vorbis, Bullet3D - Use Blender, Krita, and Substance for building 3D shit. I like Renoise for sounds and music.

Cheeky cunt