Tfw when you realize all your cohorts in your college game development course are all normalplebs with no taste

>tfw when you realize all your cohorts in your college game development course are all normalplebs with no taste
FUCKING HELL

Other urls found in this thread:

projecteuler.net
shodan.me/books/Programming/C/The C Programming Language - 2nd edition.pdf
codingame.com
gdcvault.com/play/1023440/Killer-Portfolio-or-Portfolio-Killer
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wanna suck dick now.

That's fucking boots!!!

What a surprise. Also that person praising candy crush for its money stealing RNG makes me want to strangle him.

I'd like fries with that, user.

holy shit you're a moron to not just study programming, game development degrees literally exist to part fools with their money. ask your college how many graduates have jobs that aren't testing like a trained monkey

I'm taking it as an elective or humanities or whatever for my associates, it's not my major. Plus the course description was misleading.

my major is going to be EECS after I finish my associates, so I am actually studying programming, but right now it's mostly autodidact-le

Hope you're planning to continue, because an AA/AS degree is only good for wiping your ass in a pinch.

>game development course

How does this even work? What do people even learn there?

Jokes aside, a game dev course works as an easy throwaway elective for a shit associates degree. I was a Comp Sci major and I had taken literally every programming course my community college offered (because if you get your AS at a university, you are throwing money away for nothing), and still hadn't filled all my electives. Most STEM classes wouldn't count as electives, so I took a throwaway game development course.

It was a shit class, with four units, consisting of "FPS Maker", "RPG Maker", and two units of "Game Maker". I wouldn't do it again, but it was an easy A for my degree, at least.

sup kike

Huh… I'm not one to take information on the www lightly but it's it really pointless to go to college for game design? I was considering taking classes just to get idea of what others do and think.

it's pointless to go to college for most things

If you want to do anything in the game industry its best to ignore game design courses and just go straight into a strict discipline like programming, art/design, etc. The things you learn on a game design course will be too shallow and leave you inflexible. You can always look into games, make mods and stuff on your own.

You probably learn more about game design spending a week on Holla Forums than wasting your time in an "accredited institution".

Fuck off parasite.

I'd recommend you learn programming. If possible, find a course that teaches C or Assembly. You learn more that way. The teachers who start you on stuff like Python or Java. And give yourself a personal project of making a game in C or something. Don't make it something complicated (like 3D shit). You can start off making a text adventure. Then try making a tetris game or pong.

Most game design courses are geared to teaching you how to become yet another mediocre normalfag designer. Some of them are even geared to SJW shit. What you really need to learn to be a designer is not "design methodology" but how to pick apart stupid ideas and how to realize what shit is not doable/playable/enjoyable. Basically, how to get your head out of your ass and realize when you're being stupid. Most game design courses would sooner teach you how to have your head up your ass because lel when you reach for your dreams you gotta pursue them to the fullest user. Everything will be good if you work hard enough at it!

I'd recommend the RPG Codex over Holla Forums since they love picking apart game design and mechanics all the time. You pick up a lot about game design from that site. But they mainly cover RPGs and strategy games.

Enjoy unemployment.

College is for networking, but game design is generally full of dipshits that will never amount to shit.

He'll learn a ton more by designing (and especially implementing) games.

If you are required to do any sort of 'analyze a games mechanics' essay, write a fuck-hueg one about a decent game (a decent game should have good mechanics and will be inherently easy to writ fuck-hueg essays about) and ask other people to read your essay to see if you can improve it. Show the fuckers up hardcore.

Daily reminder if you take a "Video Game Development" course or career in College, you're a fucking idiot who's going straight to the unemployment line like those thousands of gullible idiots in the US and Europe who fell for that bullshit

Country's lacking blue-collars due to all the retards falling for the college/university meme and as a result I'm pretty much guaranteed a job

Going to university is a dead loss no matter what you study. Unless there's a specific career path you want that needs you to study a specific course you're wasting time and money that would be better spent learning your craft immediately.

There are two ways to get a job as a junior programmer. Nepotism, or three years minimum of commercial experience

Being a normalfag is still better than being a SJW landwhale/Beta cuck

I'm going to be honest I learnt art and illustration work on my own and some coding on my own I mean if you by the rare chance find a college that isn't full retarded go for it to take CS or non pretentious art classes.

But college is such a fucking joke that your actually better off self teaching yourself for most shit nowadays cause you'll actually learn relavent shit to what you want to learn.

Jesus I self taught myself art and in a year I learnt more on my own then mates in uni.

How do you get three years of minimum experience, if you are not going to get hired unless you have those years of experience?

Was looking at job applications, need a new job, new place to move etc, and got some knowledge in carpenting and was looking for like mentor/student-kinda jobs where you learn underneath somebody for maybe a couple of months up until a year until you get a job. They wanted experience also, 3 fucking years of experience, for a position where you're supposed to learn your craft.

It's bullshit.

Is this the standard of a modern typed essay?
Do they accept this?
The last Destiny and Skyrim ones are short as hell even if they're more passable, but all three of the complete "I have never touched vidya in my life" essays are drivel AND short as fuck, coincidentally I'm sure

Internships, underpaid labor, and hobbyist level interest. College can be necessary to be qualified for any given tech internship, and it'll be 3 years of slaving away while slowly realizing your bachelors was worthless and suddenly boom, you're gainfully employed and the piece of paper you threw away increased your initial paygrade by quite a bit.
You CAN skip the college bit, but it'll be quite difficult. If you manage a lolnodegree but still build experience referrals and hours then they'll take you seriously enough, it's just going to be an awful lot harder.

This one was supposed to be at the most ~300 words.
It's a mini-essay assignment.

He's bullshitting, I got my job as a programmer as soon as I got out of University. It was for the government.

Then I dropped it and switched to HR for twice the pay. I suggest you mix CS with another field, it augment your value in the eye of your employer.

Unless you're going to something like DigiPen (which is pretty intense last I checked) where you're actually making games in a team environment and learning shit, it's useless. And even then, the experience is the important part, not the piece of paper.

They wanted experience also, 3 fucking years of experience, for a position where you're supposed to learn your craft.

This is literally every job nowadays. Unemployment's so bad that they can afford to be picky and hire from desperate over-30s who got laid off from their sure-thing careers rather than hire teenagers, and now there's a generation who have zero opportunities unless they have rich enough parents to support them through 'internships' that replaced the rest of the jobs.

What if I was getting a dual major in CS and GD?
I still wanted to take the programming classes but I thought the art, writing, and music classes would be fun

In 20 years there will be articles of the most successful people out of millennials are the ones who didn't go to college.

Most people in college are normalfags. I went went to school for a STEM field and most of my classmates were plebs with gfs who played League and Dota. Autists with decent taste are rare.

Yeah, things can be pretty fucked in some fields. Most job application descriptions are bullshit and they don't expect people to have all the requirements anyway though.

fuck

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, game dev programs generally go for a jack-of-all-trades sort of thing, which is more fitting for small dev companies than larger ones. So if you want to work for a AAA, or even a AA company, you're best off going into something more specialized, like programming or 3D animation. As for smaller companies, a heavy part of the major is networking, which arguably overshadows actual skill acquisition. As I'm sure you've learned at least over the past 2 years, nepotism runs deep in the game industry. The programs are largely run by SJWs on top of that, so you're expected to kowtow to their ideology or at least remain silent on the matter to get anywhere. Expect them to use stuff like Anita and Extra Credits as valid information sources, and plenty of GDC shilling.

tl;dr if you want to make games for a larger company, take up a more specific field. If you're focused on the game development part specifically, Pick up a program and start making em yourself: There's plenty of freely-available tutorials out there.

For what? Some things like a doctor require a degree.

28k a year is like what, slightly above minimum wage?

About $14/hour, presuming 40-hour work weeks, and 50 weeks per year of working.

nice blog post nigger

Who shoved that silver spoon in your mouth? Do you think we work for fun? A man's got to pay his bills, motherfucker.

Its really not that hard.
Do some fucking research, AND THINK ABOUT WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO DO. Just never ever go into fucking debt for it, nothing is worth 10k+ debt, ever. I was have a very wide and experience resume, I have had countless jobs. Lucky for me I got laid off my last job and got paid for a whole year.

Too anyone here trying to get a job, always ALWAYS ignore the "3 years experience" crap. Even fucking pizza delivery driver jobs will have that bullshit in the application. Just be fucking confident, apply for whatever it is you really want and work your ass off. If you decided to go to University, the only thing worth a damn is Trades, Computer Science, and Nursing. Nursing is fucking huge nowadays.

Luck, user. Nepotism or luck, take your pick.

or a sugar mummy, if that's your sort of thing

You can prolong both the amount and quality of time you spend before the inevitability of suicide.

stop using duckduckdgo

You make any mods? I do Pokémon rom hacks, Morrowind, and NV modding. Right now I'm learning Lua for SWBFII, also wanting to learn rpgmaker for a multi-region Pokémon game. I'd like to pirate before shelling out $30 for something that might not work though.
A friend of mine is agdg, so I help him out sometimes with implementing game mechanics. He's working on an autistic tactical shooter in unity.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Alternatively

I wonder how much longer until Bachelors and then Masters degrees also become worthless.

I give it 10 and 25 more years.

Some have been worthless for a long time, for example Master's in Communications and most art degrees are a fucking joke.

That makes it even worse, tard

I'm doing a programming course.

Specifically avoided the game dev courses because it's shallow ass shit and mobile app development, who fucking cares.

Also

GLORIOUS

They don't learn shit. I met some guys that got a game dev degree from a legit accredited college in Ohio (or Michigan). Not only did they have shit taste, but they couldn't tell me anything about the psychology of the player.

They said their degree focused more on the programming side of game making. It seemed they learned nothing about how to make a game fun. I'm even skeptical as to whether they learned about basic positive reinforcement. Brilliant.
And each one of the faggots had an apple laptop.

Linguistics

I'm not sure how YOU learned programming but it sounds like shit.

People say college gets you a good job but working your way up for 4 years gets you a better job and no debt. (Make sure you enter a career where you can move up though.)

When it comes to computer science, IT, or programming shit just self-study and get certifications.

Fuck you fam, I'm offically undeclared. I'm planning to minor in CS too, kinda like what suggests.

Programming is not about knowing the ins and outs of a computer. It is, and has always been, primarily about problem solving. It doesn't matter, for example, whether you know the ANSI C spec dot by dot, if you don't know how to write a recursive descent parser with it. You should first learn about this, and THEN bother implementing it in C if you think C truly is the best language for the task.

In specific, recommending assembly for beginners is really stupid since knowing "how computers really work" is worth nothing since the parts assembly exposes about "how computers really work" makes no difference in how you will later on exploit your computer in more flexible languages. For example, learning assembly won't teach you about branch prediction, but you don't need to know assembly to exploit branch prediction. When starting, it's better to forget about everything that's not essential. Think about how to solve a problem (this is what makes you a better programmer), not how should you implement a solution in this language (this is what makes you a code monkey).

Sadly, there is no way to actually execute pseudocode, but Python gets close to that. It's a really simple, dumb language that abstracts many of the things going on under the hood, but that's good because you can go straight into solving the problem instead of worrying about mallocing stuff or fighting with pointers. That's not how you solve problems, that's how you get around C's problems (which may be advantages if you learn to use them correctly, but why not start with something simpler?).

Even if you have a Computer Science degree companies typically want certifications as proof of competence. So if you just get the certifications there's not much point in spending years of your life getting a computer science degree.

No shit, but the classes that start you off on some high-level language frequently end up teaching would-be programmers magical thinking where they don't know what the computer does under the hood because all those high-level abstractions have removed the need to figure it out. As a result people write stupider code that is buggy and inefficient and too much time wasted on simple tasks.

Maybe not, but learning assembly makes a huge difference in understanding what the fuck pointers are for and the difference between a coder who understands pointers and a coder who does not is massive. And a good number of those dimwits manage to get full computer science degrees, which is why no one respects comsci degrees anymore.

is it possible to make 20k a year as a professional neet? if so how?

If you know what a computer is doing at a high level, you (usually) don't need to know what's it doing at a low level. The problem with many inefficient programs is that they don't even know what the computer is doing at a high level.

You are talking about the benefits of microoptimization. Unless we are talking about really low level code that's going to be executed millions of times and performance is extremely important (read: kernel code), microoptimization will be negligible at best. In specific, assembly code is good for some very specific things in small snippets, when you happen to be smarter than the compiler (tip: you usually aren't); a good example would be some loops in low level graphics and texture manipulation code. Otherwise, writing assembly is a good way to make your code unportable, unmaintainable, unreadable and sometimes even less efficient.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you fucked up while writing that. You don't need assembly to know what pointers are or what do they do like, at all.

Shady deals

Right Americans are soooooooo dumb.
Which is why European countries who are so much smarter then us dumb americans are doing so well, right?

So how does a guy start? Just buy a C++ book, take notes as you're reading, apply yourself and git gud?

Pretty much
Challenge yourself too, otherwise you end up stagnating.
projecteuler.net
This might help you out.

Usually, "learning by doing" is an excuse given by shitty teachers to justify them being lazy fucks. However, in programming, they are right.

Pick some guide to syntax (even though it is usually a shitty site, this is the only situation in which I would recommend CodeCademy), read it, then start making dumb ass programs. Slowly challenge yourself with more difficult programs: you may find some good ideas in Holla Forums or /prog/ programming challenge threads, but is also good.

When you feel you have already grokked it, start some small project. Something you may have always wanted to do, but start out with little ambition. Learn everything necessary to complete it, but even id you don't manage to finish it, you will have learned a lot. Rinse and repeat. Above all, train your Google Fu to find solutions to questions you couldn't answer on your own, and ask in programming communities if everything else fails.

That said, don't start out with C++. It's not impossible, but it's one of the least straightforward programming languages you could think of due to all the shit it includes; chances are you will drop it because you are being introduced too many concepts at the same time just to even start being able to program. Instead, pick Lua or Python, since they are quite simple and good for beginners.

I have incredibly entry level experience in Basic and even made my own Pong clone, but I stopped for a while.

Can't forget how to ride a bike, right?

Well, you can. I learned JS and ASP when I was 8, then forgot completely about them. Had to relearn them when I became 16, when I renewed my interest for programming.

If it's just a few years, tho, I guess you will be able to remember some of the basic concepts, or at least have a vague idea about them. You should be able to skip up to the "what is control flow" sections of any programming book with ease.

Any of you heard of Processing? Or P5.js?

No, also just plain old optimization. People who treat computers as a magic box don't understand shit like why it's a bad idea to call functions like strlen in a loop's check because they don't understand that by making the computer recalculate the same value every single time the loop executes, they are wasting precious CPU resources. Coders like these usually end up having all sorts of magical slowdowns and instabilities in their code once they create something performance-sensitive because black-box thinking blinded them to concepts like which operations are more CPU-taxing than others.

And if you want to write your own game, you definitely need to learn how to write efficient, bug-free code.

No, but it does help with visualizing it. Mind, I learned 16 bit ASM on DOS so the nature and use of pointers was really simple and straightforward to understand, but if you learn on C++ or Java (ouch) it can seem like a confusing mess. Certainly there are other ways to learn it but you'd be surprised how many idiots touting high-level languages don't see a problem with passing by value and copying variables all the time.

Seems like you probably learned on high-level languages and got defensive about the deficiencies in your education.

Yes. Except I would strongly recommend C over C++. Starting with C and moving on to C++ is much healthier than starting in C++. If you want to go the C route, I would recommend K&R (The C Programming Language):
shodan.me/books/Programming/C/The C Programming Language - 2nd edition.pdf

If you want to go the C++ route though, I would recommend "C++ in a Nutshell" (O'Reilly books)

Here's another site with coding challenges: codingame.com

Runs inside your browser so it's pretty simple to get going.

Dude, no. Fuck Lua and Python. Start on C if you can't handle ASM.

Even high level languages teach you that they will execute what you tell them. Procedural programming languages are very heavy on abstraction and optimization so this may not apply to all their implementations, but it applies everywhere else without exception.

If someone is calling strlen() (by the way, only C bothers with that, since others simply cache the length of the string like it should be fucking done) inside a loop, it's clear they don't even understand what the fuck is the computer doing at a high level, and the only thing preventing them from fucking this hard in assembly is the fact that there is no strlen there.

Knowing accessing memory or storage is expensive is something that should be known, but assembly doesn't teach you that. Knowing about algorithm efficiency is probably the most important thing that should be known, but assembly doesn't teach you that. Knowing about cache hits/misses and data alignment is important, but assembly doesn't teach you that. Knowing about branch prediction is important, but assembly doesn't teach you that. Knowing that the multiplication opcode takes more cycles to complete than a simple sum opcode is not important, but this is one of the things that "should" be taught by assembly, and it does not!

What does assembly teach you? That control flow sucks at that level? That your computer uses registers that get completely abstracted even by modern C compilers? Knowing about assembly makes sense if you want to become a low level wizard or exploit some really specific features, such as SIMD or stuff like encryption instructions, but we are talking about a beginner here. He won't even know what half of these things are for.

Agree, but this starts by understanding algorithm efficiency and Big O notation.
Funny you say that while recommending C, the mother of all undefined behaviours. Even assembly is harder to fuck up with

First of all, C++ uses mostly C pointers for everything. There is also the special reference "pointer", which is more or less like a pointer that gets abstracted from the function, in a similar fashion to how Java handles them. Save for these exceptions, assembly, C and C++ use pointers the same way.

As far as I know, the only mainstream language that allows manual selection of whether to pass by reference or by value. All other languages pass by reference, which is "faster" on the short run but will make data alignment slightly more difficult or downright impossible. I find highly improbable that retarded high-level programmers can even make this mistake, since it's impossible to fuck this up in those languages.

I started with Python and still got here. Cry me a river.

By the way, some years ago, the MIT used to teach their students with Lisp. That's right, one of the most high level languages ever invented was used to teach the students of the most important technology university in the world (back when it was at its peak) the basics of computation, and they came out alright. The book they used is quite famous and still respected today. You may have heard of it, it's called SICP.

Well that was a quick read.

feels good

It's about supply and demand. As college becomes more expected of people, the amount of people with degrees will skyrocket, and the market for jobs requiring said degrees will become much more competitive. Once Bachelor's degrees become useless, more people will go for Master's/Doctorates, making them increasingly worthless. Giving everyone "free" education would likely accelerate this process.

Design philosophy is taught in a few classes in what I'd like to believe are most GD curriculums. Problem is, it's the type of design philosophy that's applied to modern games, so the games that people on here like to complain about are the results of said philosophy.

Apple laptops are pretty common, but so are Thinkpads, although they're covered with FOSS stickers 99% of the time.

Funny that the more equality there is, the more difficult things become

go ahead.

The America that reached the moon is not the America that exists today.

Fucking kill me Pete.

Outside of STEM, law, and maybe one or two other things, we reached that point some time ago. Thirty years ago, if someone with a bachelor's degree was unemployed, it was because they were a lazy fuck who didn't want to work. These days, it's expected that college graduates who didn't get a degree in engineering or aren't going on to get a masters will just move back in with their parents.

No shit, all the vets of WW2 are basically 90+ right now

That's frequently the problem with people who learn high-level languages, yes. They don't know what the fuck you are doing.

Either that or it's the fact that in assembly it's blatantly obvious when you try to recalculate a value every time in a loop.

Really? Assembly doesn't teach you the difference between CPU registers and RAM and disk?

Really? Assembly doesn't teach you when your high level code is more inefficient on the machine code level?

Uh what? Assembly might not "teach" that but once you start delving into these concepts, understanding of assembly is rather important if you want to recognize how your instruction space operates.

The notion that bitwise shifting is cheaper than dividing or multiplying is taught though. But at this stage you have been discussing directly studying optimization. And I assure you you learn much less with a grounding in high level languages.

Spoken like someone who learned on the abomination that is Python, which does not even have a proper goto instruction. Have a paper by Donald Knuth on the subject of goto usage, since you sound like one of those anti-goto purists.

Eh, sure.

You can teach people all of that and watch them still find ways to defeat the algorithm by creating nice-looking algorithms by pushing work to black-box functions which secretly bloat the computational complexity.

Honestly learning to avoid undefined behaviors works wonders for teaching you to develop sane code.

In my case I learned directly on 16-bit DOS using DEBUG.EXE which teaches you a thing or two about how data and instructions actually look in memory and how you use pointers if you want a functional jump instruction or read the right data. It's a very face-to-face method of dealing with pointers since I could see the memory block I was interacting with and why I needed to do that to read variables and make jumps.

Java passes by value.

Lisp at least is what a high level language should look like instead of today's abominations. I would much rather recommend Lisp over the likes of Python and Lua myself. Lisp is the sort of language that delivers when you look at a task and decide you should have code that writes and rewrites itself to your specification instead of manually writing out everything (so does assembly). It is the kind of language that properly delivers on shortcutting the amount of time you will spend writing code.

Bump.

It does, but it hides the fact that accessing the RAM is much slower. You can only learn this by investigating about other matters, knowing asm syntax won't help you.

An O(n^n) algorithm is an O(n^n) algorithm, both on high level and low level. More often than not (in all cases but some exceptions, I would say), this is the main source of slowness. Sure, knowing that shifting bits one position is the same as multiplying/integer dividing by two and that shifting bits is faster than multiplying is interesting if you are trying to write firmware or a kernel, but will go completely unnoticed if you are writing a regular userland application, like a game. In fact, games performance is usually bound to the data structures you are using, and just learning assembly won't teach you about that.

What do you mean? Prefetch instructions that are already handled by compilers or the hardware itself?

No, you don't understand. Optimization usually means reducing loops, not using the correct instructions. In high level languages, loops are easier to notice and modify, which is why high level languages are good for teaching students the meaning of Big O notation.

I'm not one of the people who consider goto harmful if it's used correctly, though. However, I also recognize goto is usually used only in languages that don't have a better alternative. Talk about ugly boilerplate that hurts my feefees, even Java with it's "extremely verbose" try-catch block is shorter than error control in C using goto.

Say what you want about control flow, but its structures are clearer to see in anything that's not assembly's "no nested loops, goto only, final destination".

C has so many fucking caveats I doubt you know them all. The only way learning C could help you develop sane code is by making you lose your sanity first.

Java passes primitives by value, and technically passes objects "by value", because said value is a pointer that later gets treated as a reference. But arguing about the latter is pedantic and pointless since it's treated as a reference in all regards but one (assigning another object to the argument doesn't overwrite the object, only the argument). Anyway, it doesn't even let you choose whether you would like to pass by value or by reference, so I don't know where the hell did you get the idea that some programmers can fuck up with this.

Anyway, Lua is basically "C, without pointers and where everything is a table". I'm not sure how the fuck can you think that's an abomination unless you are so autistic about C and assembly that you will automatically reject anything that's not them

(checked)
Do it faggot

well even if you didnt take them i guess the possibility already meant you wouldn't be anything in life so why not

but user… the holocaust didn't happen so how could ww2 happen?

Fucking hell, OP. I attend an IT university, and half the students are normalfags, the other half being autists extreme, who can't into social interaction, but read Java manuals for fun. None of them have any tase in vidya, and game dev courses are a waste of time. Take the regular, programming courses and apply it to vidya at home, in your free time.

This is correct. If memory serves me right, liberal art-type majors have seen the highest increases in enrollment in the past few decades, and there simply aren't enough jobs to go around. Consider it a preview of what might become on a larger scale.

The invasion of Poland clearly.

I dropped out college due to financial problems, what do?

Do a barrel roll

Maybe you should get a job

Pay off your student loan debts if you have them by becoming a NEET

Feels good not to be such a sorry excuse for a human being. I can't wait for Hillary to finally finish this mistake.

skip to the 'do aaa companies hire recent grads' part, they address this directly.
gdcvault.com/play/1023440/Killer-Portfolio-or-Portfolio-Killer

3 to 5 years experience, equivalent degree etc is just filler. good work is what matters
whore yourself out on tigsource & moddb, do fan projects, make your own stuff. differentiate yourself from every sperger who wants to make marios by showing that you're a proven asset who can work with a team.

ok, that's dumb.
carpentry might be one of the only fields where skilled people are more expendable than game development

anyone?

First, I'll get out of the way what everyone has already said
That said, the OP's images made me physically cringe. How retarded does someone need to be to praise the gameplay and design of Candy Crush and Destiny?

At least with Skyrim I can understand it because there are some genuinely interesting bits in it even if the game overall is bad.

It's not a bluff ;_;

I started a game design degree in 2007, before the recession murdered the job market. Before CoD4, before Orange Box, before Minecraft.

One day there was an announcement for a new Duke Nukem Forever teaser trailer, and I flipped my shit. My fellow classmates were confused and asked "who's Duke Nukem?"

These colleges have been filled with plebs for a very long time.

holy shit I've seen shitposts with higher requirements than that

How? Like even if they never heard of Duke Nukem they should have been well aware of the fact that that one game took a fucking decade to make.

Depends on how you learn ASM, I suppose. But a decent education should at least make mention of these differences.

Except at high-level people can offload operations to functions that increase complexity at low level. The difference between splitting a string into an array several times over and parsing text using substrings for instance has a rather large bearing on efficiency even if the former code looks like a much simpler loop than the latter.

Really? Do you know what the fast inverse square root, which used a bitwise shift, was used for? As your game becomes more advanced, it also becomes much more performance-sensitive. Framerates and physics depend on efficient code.

No, although manually prefetching has its merits. Memory alignment is good not just for data but instructions too, but you need to familiarize yourself with ASM if you want to fiddle with the exact alignment of your instruction space.

Please read Donald Knuth's paper I linked above. Goto is not a weapon of last resort.

Spoken like someone who learned on python alright. Sorry, I'm from the DOS era so to me goto flow-control is easy enough to follow provided you don't code like a retard. The key is learning not to code like a retard.

There's only 191 different kinds of undefined behavior in the C standard. You could actually learn them all if you really wanted to, but most of it is obvious shit like dividing by zero, exceeding buffer size, dereferencing null pointers (basically means you're trying to read memory at ("dereference") - a fake memory address ("null pointer")), reading uninitialized variables, bad typecasting, etc.

Aye, primitives are passed by value and object pointers are passed by value, although the pointers are still dereferenced.

Depends on your coding habits but if you want to have an object pointer like activeObject which you would flip around to different objects, the difference is very noticeable.

By carrying over bad habits from one language to the next. Someone who learned standard Pascal is probably used to making absurdly complicated if blocks because there was no goto or break or continue or return statement and while that might have been part of the cancer of Pascal, it still makes you much worse when you're coding something like C++. Bad habits from Java also translate poorly to other languages. It's part of the reason why your starting language matters so much.

I'm not sure how the fuck you can think that "C, without pointers and where everything is a table" isn't. But also the higher level you go, the less efficient your code is probably going to turn out. And if it's about developing marketable skills, C and C++ have a much wider range of utility than Lua.

If you're just going high-level for convenience's sake, don't pick shit like Lua. Just go Lisp.

As long as you are not going to be crippled with debt by doing it, why not?

I'm also doing a game development course but mostly because I don't give a fuck about my future anymore and didn't really know what else to do, if you actually chose that shit unironcally, expected to get a job with it AND expected the course to be anything more than a waste of time and money then you're a fucking retard.

Isn't that already happening?

Sure you are.

And that's why there's so many garbage games on the market now.

EE here. Hope you have a shitload of cash and reliable transportation, because you are likely never going to get a job within commuting distance.

Get citizenship in eastern europe (almost any post-commie country, really). Education is completely free of charge here. The only thing I have to pay during my university studies are the living costs (rent+food+energy bill), everything else is free. I don't even need any textbooks, as its all online, and if I did need one, the university has its own library full of them, where you can borrow books free of charge.

I'm considering making a 2d massively multiplayer space game in Golang transpiled into javascript (Gopherjs) using PIXI. I can write javascript, I just really don't want to.
On a scale of "it'd be nice" to "ron_paul(4).jpg", how much am I going to want to kill myself if I go through with this?

Much better than just majoring GD, although I would suggest minoring mathematics on top of that just to add some seriousness to your degree (and git gud). People do not respect game design degrees. It's basically a liberal arts degree, but one that says even stupider shit about you.

If you want to get into the videogame industry, you will need to do it either through connections or by developing a serious portfolio. Your portfolio is your real resume, not your degrees. The world is full of mediocre designers they rarely want to gamble on some random kid with a game design degree where most graduates are mediocre shitters, so you need to showcase your worth with a portfolio. For a portfolio, your options are the modder route where you create some serious mod to demonstrate your skills or stand-alone where you create a game on your own.

The good game design programs recognize this and make you build a serious portfolio by the time you graduate. The bad ones thank you for your money and send you on your way.

We don't even know what you're really making, so I'm not sure how you expect input on that.

I'm in charge of hiring at my company. I advise you withdraw from the unit. That shit looks terrible on your academic record.

I think only eurofags have to worry about companies demanding their entire academic record as a condition for employment.

In the US they just look at degrees, certifications, job experience, portfolios, and interviews for the most part.

I bet you have really shit taste too.

Education used to be free in the west also, but scumbags started gutting funding and raising costs all the time.