Since the disasters that we've been seeing today, do you wish that Sega would have stayed in the console market?

Since the disasters that we've been seeing today, do you wish that Sega would have stayed in the console market?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Hideki_Naganuma/status/760656268713275393
gematsu.com/2016/09/sega-3d-fukkoku-archives-3-final-stage-adds-turbo-outrun-three-new-ports-announced
youtube.com/watch?v=nAzzoU0fIxU
oneangrygamer.net/2016/09/sonic-mania-gameplay-video-resurrects-the-sonic-we-all-fell-in-love-with/11132/#disqus_thread
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sega Dreamcast 2

if this happened, the whole console markt would immiditley shit their pants.

depends on if they would make and localize games that aren't fucking sonic

Yeah, Sure.

We might have gotten Sonic Adventure 3.

They probably would have made that same mistakes but possibly could have been another system where AA developers could have had a chance.

I doubt it, they would've eventually succumbed to what the other companies are doing.

I miss sega so much, its not fair.

Everyday, OP.

Funny thing is, they would have been the worst offender, worse than Microsoft.

I know it sounds romanticised, but the reality is, you're going to get screwed.

We would have gotten Sonic Adventure 10 by now, The Lara Xu Chronicles.

What shit I just got home do you mean the mobile Mario game? Because Sega has at least 2 auto runners starting Sonic. Hell the Sonic Mania devs first commercial product was an iOS port of Sonic cd.

We're talking about the IF, not the now.

I agree with the sentiments ITT but ultimately is correct. Also, even if all the other console makers were to spontaneously capitulate (and that's on the normalfag scale, not the Holla Forums scale) Sega would not be in a position to capitalize on it. And why would they? Consoles are dying out because they aren't needed anymore.

Just because it came out badly doesn't mean it never happened

If Sega kept making consoles they would have sank just like everyone else did.

You are only being nostalgic because Sega has been hitting the right notes again, after several years doing the opposite.

I just want Sega-CSK back, I couldn't care less whether or not they still made consoles. But I miss all their amazing, innovative arcades.

I love Sega right now but I'm pretty sure if they were strong enough to have their own console they'd be far worse then anyone else. The only reason why Sega is so on top right now is because they have nothing to coast on. I mean Sega made arcade games even after they dropped out of making consoles. I don't think for a second they wouldn't have at least dipped their toe into mobile stuff.

I want them back now. Fuck Nintendo and its fucking stupid fans.

Sega depended too much on the arcade machine business. Once the arcade culture died in the West, they could no longer cope with any commercial failure of a console, as they did in the 90's with the Saturn.

When arcade culture died and the hollywoodization set in, games died.

Prove me wrong.

this timeline is the bad end, user

WHERE IS STREETS OF RAGE 4?
WHEN ARE WE GETTING A NEW OUTRUN?

An incentive for you to git gud to save money is a bad thing, how exactly…?

Personally I don't see it that way. I still don't think anyone at Sega knows what the fuck they're doing. They have a few dozen franchises they're sitting on and nobody to do anything with them. I'm not talking about the ones they've bought in their publisher phase either. And despite Sonic Mania happening, the 2017 Project is still going to be their blockbuster, so to speak.

At the risk of devolving this thread into consolewars, Nintendo deserved to suffer Sega's fate. Though it's easy to condemn them now with the benefit of hindsight.

I miss my friend

You'll get a new Outrun when Ferrari gives out the licenses for their vehicles again

Sega could make a volumetric display set console (they've already made hologram concerts for Miku Hatsune) it would fit them really well. It would be cheap for them to make (just some leds with microcontrollers cleverly put together in a box) but an innovation which brings a new direction to gaming. The software would revolve around voxels (volumetric pixels). USB 3 and USB type C for compatibility with various other USB type devices like PC's or mobiles (imagine your volumetric creations coming alive in Sega's latest console in Actual 3D, not the old flat screens with pseudo 3D. This can happen, I thought many times about pitching this idea to Sega but others could also contribute and make the idea better before pitching it. Sega FarSide - out on the reaches where no console has reached before. If anyone can make a good 3d console, Sega can.

Yakuza 6 will feature a full arcade version of VF5 as a side activity. It's not much but it's something.

The Dreamcast died WAY too fucking soon. The one two punch of lack of DVD player and ease of piracy killed it. So many good games for that system, goddamn. Had they learned from their mistakes and made a Dreamcast 2 it would have been a real contender. I always get so sad thinking about Sega in their prime.

God, that would be a clusterfuck for game design in conjunction with actually putting it in your living room, let alone traditional multiplayer. That being said it would be absolutely fucking amazing if done right - and as much shit as people give Microsoft, that room projection idea they had for gaming ages ago could work incredibly for what you had in mind.

However, as cool as it would be if Sega actually took up the idea, you'd need to actually have a proof of concept to show them if you actually pitched it, AND you'd need to account for the fact that SEGA isn't exactly a moneybag.

Sega is really sitting on some great IP's. One day I hope a remake of Alisia Dragoon happens with two modes, one classicvania and the other metroidvania.

Make Sega great again.

It wasn't just the fault of the dreamcast. They wasted so much money with the fucking failed 32X instead of just focusing on the Saturn.

Even with the Saturn they thought 2D would continue to be how video games were made. The Saturn was crap at 3D at a time when everyone wanted 3D games. I was afraid the same thing would happen with VR but it looks like that shit was a still birth.

nice meme

OP here
Nice knowing you guys.

Sega has a bad habit of making fucking masterpieces and fucking them up in the sequels. Most recent example: Project Diva X.

It was harder to program a 3D game on the Saturn and it was made with 2D in mind.

With that in mind: Quads > Triangles and the 3D games that were made for Saturn were fucking mindblowing for the time.

I just wish they actually stuck with the fucking dreamcast for more than 5 seconds, they had a ton of fucking games ready to go, and then for no real reason they just stop production and dump them all on fucking xbox.

It hurts

Well, SEGA is actually run by Jews, and the Dreamcast used Windows CE libs for some games in partnership with Microsoft

You do the fucking math here, SEGA and Microsoft would've joined forces to rival Sony, the Xbox would never have become a thing, and the console wars today would be Sony vs Nintendo vs SEGA/Microsoft

Know what, i'd welcome that, anything would be better than what Xbone is right now.

Yeah user, it stings a lot.

Stop it user, just stop.

Not even close.

Well, Sony managed to kill them with the PS2 being the DVD player and other 'Features' they talked would be in there just like what we're seeing with the PS4 Pro now.

Air NiGHTS
NEVER
EVER

No, some games since were great.

Metroid Prime, Endless Ocean (you wouldn't like it) are reason enough for Nintendo to be around but at a very high cost. A lot of hearts would have been broken and lives destroyed by shovelware.

A lot of desperation made. Games should be imparting survival skills so worst case scenarios aren't bad at all. Noone misses out.

I think Sega should have influenced hardware development, kind of did through the XBOX360. Too bad for MS they didn't outdo themselves again. XBOX1 was not impressive on launch.

Should do PC games, but console optimised. PC's later getting these awesome optimisations as options.

Basically everything stylised as it's degraded. Generally makes things look much better and hardware 10x worse can compete with hardware 10x better visially. A matter of taste. PC users needing to see things from every way to decide which they like the best. Console games having things tuned to suit the tastes of professionals who make things look good for a living/post processing studios.

Games could uniformly be sent off to such studios for everything converted to look better and perform well on consoles. PC users could even pay for this optimisation later as DLC, some of the money going to GPU companies to compensate for the lessened demand as GPUs continue to be able to satisfy.

I think SEGA was great at doing what as fun. No reference. You'd win by playing. The harder you tried the better the results. They just knew how to do that and so did who devd for the consoles somehow. Just the standard and expectation that was lived up to. Games looked good too.

Known for bright colors now they were also good at realism. Some titles, interplay/ocean I think that did Robocop vs Terminator. Sega sold America very well.

Doesn't make much sense that they went under. Money isn't as reliable as it should be. Non inflating because using real backing focusing on the bottom. Bread/weight in food/nutritional value would be great backing. And easier for shops to price things and customers to check prices. Luxuries like sweets just a neiche not based on demand. People buying by curiosity and taste, not by price.

SEGA was pretty clean too, could integrate with a lot of services to make interfacing with them more enjoyable and clear the air of any consideration. Do before deciding whether or not to. No negative results. Experience making things better next time.

Sorting skills into levels of difficulty so things can be quickly mastered and trying enjoyable, but not as much as progressing. Stripped to basics highlighting what is to be done by the rest out of attention.

Sega could resume focused on speed. Maintaintaining constant high speed their trademark quality. Representations of things to be identified quickly, looking to what they are doing or other things. Aim to make games entirely without imput lag, no attetion to framerate or anything else though framerate should be at display rate/double it eg 240fps.

Also different in that no post processing is used. Acheive looks by objects and textures. Apply what needs to be in a scene to make it like what is interesting. In essence being like that scene. Graphics not needed. Feeling needed. Vast landscape that is effectively withot end.

Nothing photographed. All made to represent things from what the artist thinks important. Thinks awesome/real.

oh neat, steven universe.
peridot is cute.

No, since Sega would get caught up in the SJW bullshit and become pozzed.

Where did you get all of this bullshit from? I have no idea what the fuck you're trying to say. You sound like a dumbass nigger from Texas.

Do you anons think Sega will ever make JSR3 and make it good?

Ask Hideki Naganuma on his Twitter.

Not really, their arcade games are great.

Now porting anything made after 1996 or so to the US, that's another story.

Considering the studio that made the first two games was destroyed in 2007 (Smilebit), I highly doubt it.

Some people already did that kinda.

Not sure if you're joking but
twitter.com/Hideki_Naganuma/status/760656268713275393

REMINDER: DREAMCAST ERA SEGA WAS FUCKING CRAZY AND IT WAS THE BEST OF TIMES

The home arcade experience was left only to emulation after it died.

I think if they revived some of their old arcade IPs as part of a massive collection they'd be doing better.

I like some of the things they're currently doing like video related but god damn some of it needs to be brought to the west.

Oh, so that's why people like that game. Awesome.

Far as i can tell the only version thy ever wanted to bring west was the vita port, and that's just because they were trying to jew sony into doing all the work for them.

Jesus FUCK OP are you underage?

Do you have any idea what kind of retarded decissions Sega made with their consoles?

Makes the wiiU look like the work of a genius.

Go read up on your history son.

That's their arcade roots shining through. Some arcade games had bullshit difficulty yeah, but they did focus on gameplay above everything else, which is what really matters. Having to survive in the arcades is what made Sega so great.

Is Seaman possible to emulate? Do any of them allow using a PC headset instead of a Dreamcast one?

Go OG or go home, do it for Spock.

Seaman isn't really even all that expensve, the game itself is like 20 bucks, and you can probably find the mic for around half that, because it's pretty much the only game that still uses one.

They fixed the class balance.
They fixed the lack of content.
They fixed the lack of variety in class builds.
They can never fix their casual audience.

quads > triangles

dummy here, why's that?

People happily playing their favourite Sega video games, unaware of the disastrous fate awaiting the company in the near future.

The one i went to only had pacman and galaga, the rest was all that off brand looking shit for tickets.

Haven't been to one for 11 years, but the one i went to had shit like Silent Scope, House of the ded 3, DAYTONA USA and more.

Sega have games but i dont think they have the tech expert to make a console. Not only that, most sega games will be exclusive meaning PC have no chance to play it, NEVER EVER

I think it would have been a good idea. At the least, it could have helped keep Nintendo in line. Competition is good, but Sony and MS don't really directly compete with Nintendo. Most people who buy a Playstation or Xbox now either do it for the Playstation's obscure weebshit, or for the multiplats both have, like CoD and Madden, combined with the "grafics". Nintendo hits different markets altogether. A combination of casuals, and people who play on PC as well, so want a console that can play games they can't already play on PC. Sega competed with Nintendo more directly than either of the other two do now.

I fail to see how this is my problem.

Sega was one of the pioneers of the arcade industry, it was hard for management to change directions as they had survived the video game crash by still pumping out arcade games. Sega owed most its riches on arcades and if arcades didn't start running of gas in the mid 1990's then Sega's arcade division could have easily subsidized the Dreamcast.

You nigger.

Yes, but it was impossible for them to do so given Sega's financial situation

Nigger, Sega was hemorrhaging money producing the Dreamcast. Why the fuck do you think pulled production on it?

Nigger Sega has always been one of the more friendly Jap devs for PC.

WRONG WRONG WRONG YOU FUCKING NIGGER

Can't believe faggots still fall for that meme. The Dreamcast died because Sega wasn't turning a profit on it and was massively in debt thanks to the Saturn. When your president is paying out of pocket to keep the system alive and no money is generated, it's time to pull the plug.

PSO2 is a pain to set up over here but if you can make it work HOLY SHIT is the game a lot of fun.

I missed you schizo user

Every single day of my life since 2001 user

Every day….

Fuck off retard.

Its the other way around nigger, the saturn was a fucking expensive clusterfuck of bad design the japs kept pushing even though devs were already signing up for the PSX even before launch

The strategy for the 32X was brilliant, they were taking advantage of the installed base of the genesis but the japs sabotaged everything

That's just it, they only pulled production on the western markets/consoles, japs themselves got almost a decade of support from SEGA while we ate shit.

The big problem with the Saturn was it was a unique design rather then simply being a watered down arcade board like the Mega Drive and SMS. This meant porting games from Sega's own arcade boards to the Saturn was not strait forward and developers with experience on the Model 2 board couldn't translate that into experience on the Saturn (or the ST-V).

what disasters? free hdr update to all PS4s and a big graphical bump for $50 more than the PS4 was yesterday is hardly a bad thing. unless youre talking about that mario run bullshit. then i understand.

Hey everyone, it's a dumb nigger being a retard again

Nigger, the ability to burn Dreamcast games didn't come in action until around and after Sega planned on killing the system. It was full-on dead when people learned how to burn DC games on CD. Even without piracy it was a dead console.

Why are you making shit nigger?

Nigger what are you fucking talking about?

The Dreamcast was actually more successful overseas than in Japan. The system had a shitty Japanese launch thanks to chip shortages from NEC while America got the 9-9-99 media extravaganza and it briefly payed off, but it wasn't enough. No amount of success could offset Sega's debt from the Saturn and they had to kill it or the company would die. It was so bad that games like Shenmue needed every Dreamcast owner to buy the game twice over for it to turn a profit.

It was not. The CEO green lit the thing because he wanted to fend off the Atari Jaguar. It was a weird half-measure that game reasonably late in the cycle after they already had a lukewarm add-on in the market.
The real way to do that is to just keep releasing games for the big user base, not asking that same base to buy supplemental hardware.
If we take Tom Kalinsky at his word, than yeah the Japanese branch of SEGA didn't do the company any favors – but one of their most egregious mistakes was not shooting the 32X down before it got off the ground.

Kalinsky claimed he asked SEGA Japan to make the cartridge slot on the Saturn backwards-compatible with the Genesis. That would have been taking advantage of the Genesis' install base.

no it wasn't. the pico, sega cd, 32x, neptune (genesis + 32x), cdx (genesis + sega cd), game gear, nomad, pluto (saturn + netlink), black belt (internal soa saturn rival) and katana (internal soa dreamcast rival) were just wasted resources and burned fans.

genesis and snes still sold well even when the psx and saturn were out. should have just used the wasted money from the above flops to produce add on chips like virtua racing or star fox to improve genesis games till the saturn was ready.

The one near me has always had shooters and racers, plus the chuck e cheese shit you mentioned. Now they have DDR. All they are missing is proper fighting games.

NEVER
EVER

;_;

There, I just saved Sega.

But Alisia Dragoon is from Game Arts.

Then wait another 10 years for battery technology to advance enough to power such a beast.

Yeah, maybe if you got Nintendo to engineer the handheld. Sega handhelds were always too bulky and eat batteries so fast they defeat the purpose of a handheld.

Hory shet.
But yeah, the DS is more powerful so it would take less than 10 years

a nycka always wanna cop one of dem but i ain't got da stax at the time n when i did get put on like that shit was already played out.

They could've installed solar panels on the handheld unit to power it and called it the Sega Sun.

Plasma Sword was fucking garbage. It was basically Capcom's attempt at making a shitty Tekken clone

Joke's on you. I was poor and got a used 3DO.

Utter shit taste detected

Go back to bed, Billy.

People still use AOL?

I don't think the aol client can even handle the modern internet so I'm going to go with no.

You'd be surprised. People still use "AOL Desktop". Picture a clunky UI with buttons for email, "the web", and built in messenger. It's not the browser itself anymore, but I think it still gets the occasional update.

Every time

Damn, this thread has gotten me interested in getting an actual dreacast. Is it worth going physical, or just emulating? Does anyone have the Holla Forums recommended chart for dreamcast games?

Are they still around? What do they even do?

Are you the castlevania guy who writes all sorts of jumbled posts

For a second, I thought he was this guy.

I wish that Sega of Japan never went full retard at after the 16-bit era, because that is what destroyed the company.

Honestly, Sega might do well with a Dreamcast 2 that's based primarily around low-cost, niche, and eccentric titles like the DC had. Make it easy as shit to develop for, with tons of indie support, and you've got the makings of what the DS was, and what the Ouya daydreamed of being. Better to be pic related than nothing at all.

The DS had so many games for it for only one reason. Not because it was low-cost. Not because it was easy to develop for.

Because it sold. And devs are obviously looking for consoles most people have.

The Wii U wasn't necessarily hard to develpop for and it was the cheapest console of it's generation, but third party devs still didn't give a shit because it was the most unpopular console. It's power also has nothing to do with what happened, because the DS sold much more than the PSP and it was much weaker.

IBM is into a lot of technology business these days. Cloud shit and the like for business. They're being the Lenovo brand now too.

behind

Sega's conference was everything I wanted E3 to be. It's such a shame that E3 is just so boring now overall.

Except that this user is completely right. Ironically, the Dreamcast was the hardest console to pirate at the time due to the GDI. Nobody had GDI readers at the time, and pirates couldn't find a way to use it. The loophole they found was that the Dreamcast for some reason had mil-CD support. They found the exploit there and completely bypassed the GDI. Even so, that was late into the Dreamcast's life-cycle. All the CDI versions sucked dick back then there are still some that suck to this day like Soul Calibur and downloading games was painstakingly slow too. The Dreamcast was dead at launch because of how much SEGA fucked it up with the 32X and Saturn.

Video games died with the dreamcast.

I still play from time to time Outrun '06 on PC, I can't believe how great was and still is even now.

gematsu.com/2016/09/sega-3d-fukkoku-archives-3-final-stage-adds-turbo-outrun-three-new-ports-announced

Every problem from Sega can be traced back to its Japanese headquarters, in fact the same can be said to a lot of Japanese hardware and software shit that has gone international. The Japanese are great at creativity and design, but are absolute retards in marketing to an international audience and from time to time go full retard when their instincts should be telling them to just put a sock in it.

For example Nintendo and most other Japanese game companies shutting down any YouTube content from their games and even sometimes their own fucking trailers, complete and total dissonance and obliviousness of the international audience. They don't lead the market anymore, they are being left behind and their fucking crazy practices are no longer being tolerated.

Their executives are fucking crazy people, which to be honest is much better than our own who are soulless machines of profit, but it's easy to see how the Japanese can fuck up such obvious things. Dreamcast died a too soon, but glorious death. If it lived any longer Sega would have majorly fucked up, way worse than Nintendo. Even then the latter is going to die sooner or later because their craziness is reaching critical mass.

God no, consoles are cancer and if they ran their own console we would absolutely not be seeing any PC ports of their shit. Of course there aren't many right now but apparently they're working on quite a few. Here's hoping for Vanquish, Yakuza, and Bayonetta.

Here's hoping you'll never see them

every day is a disaster for modern gaming. which disaster are you talking about in particular?

Probably everything about the PS4K and ninty making iphone games.

Meanwhile Sega is looking really good considering
youtube.com/watch?v=nAzzoU0fIxU
"That’s not all, every single MEGA Drive game will now feature Steam Workshop support allowing you share modified versions of your favourite retro SEGA titles!"

No. They're overrated.
AM2 was their only cool team.

People like to pretend piracy killed Sega at the end of the Dreamcast era, I blame the sins of the CD, 32x, and Saturn. I think they were finally coming around with the Dreamcast but it was too late, their reputation with business partners and consumers was irredeemable at that point.

SEGA really dropped the ball (and budget) with all that hardware R&D, all that money and time spent on console revisions and peripherals that developers wouldn't even support, and all that time spent focusing on the hardware but not the SDKs. I can't even imagine what the marketing team was thinking with all this. I can't fault the engineers for trying but damn all the cost involved was never going to be recouped, unless they really thought each product was going to be as hot as the Genesis.

Saturn was fine in Asia, the problem was that Sega of America hired a fucking retarded kike from Sony.

Streets of Rage 4 was cancelled because the US head of SEGA had never heard of the franchise.

No, it doesn't

Thank god for UQs and new XQ.
And there was something somewhere on bumped about new content that will supposedly be harder than new XQ. I'm moderately hyped for that.

Damn son.

and the kikes in japan forced them to debute the console at a hundred dollars more than the PS1, as well as that stupid stunt that alienated retailers.

Plenaptune didn't deserve such a lazy ass leader. The little sister wouldn't have been so shit.

Yeah, Saturnday was retarded, as was the price, but blocking several games because of Stolar's 5-Star Policy and "Saturn is not our future" killed Sega. Most third-party devs dropped them, which is why PS2 beat the DC.

It was still an odd system, I get SoJ was caught off guard when they saw the system specs of the PlayStation yet in the time they took to redesign the Saturn they could have just took the Model 2 arcade board and watered it down enough to lower the production cost, add a CD drive to it then build a case around it.

pretty nice of them but they're putting too much faith on people not just pirating the roms and using themon an emulator for free

i just stuck to my mega drive, then i got a pc and a ps2 around the ps2 launch

I'm pretty sure schitzo user is a chatbot that someone is inflicting on us.

He reminds me of that guacman bot Holla Forums whipped together a couple months ago.

gb2r

I always find his posts really interesting. I wish everyone here had their own unique posting style.

I do

i do but it's typing like a retard because i'm a hue

We had SoR4, it was called fighting force, look it up.

You mean Die Hard Arcade.

Saturnday was the original launch day of the Saturn in September.

It was in May that they released the Saturn early exclusively through Toys R Us and alienated places like Walmart, Best Buy, and KB Toys, the latter of which dropped Sega products from their stores.

No, Fighting Force was intended to be SoR4 but Eidos wanted to publish it on PS1 and N64, which Sega wouldn't allow to happen obviously (there was also a plan to release Fighting Force on the Saturn as Judgment Force)

Die Hard Arcade was originally Dynamite Cop. It was renamed because the game was so obviously inspired by Die Hard it made sense to sell it as a Die Hard game in America.

Hope this game works when it releases: oneangrygamer.net/2016/09/sonic-mania-gameplay-video-resurrects-the-sonic-we-all-fell-in-love-with/11132/#disqus_thread

I'd wish that SEGA brings out more of their non-Sonic franchises. I'm a bit worried that their VOLCALOID games would be push to the wayside, like SEGA Rally Championship.

>>>/ovens/

I just post the Sonic thing for a bit of good news, so we won't become too dreary. So, besides the news that I posted did something bad happen to SEGA, other than Sonic Boom wii u?

I'm still new here, what does ovens mean?

Lurk more

We don't do names here unless something important is posted or to confirm identities when interviewed.