ITT: Expansions/DLC that is better than the base game

What games have DLC or expansions that ended up better than the base game?

Is Road to Gehenna really better than base Talos Principle? I might pick it up, then. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Talos.

The puzzles are a lot better and the story is pretty great too, basically being about saving robots that shitpost philosophy on a forum.

Yes, yes it is
It's about a christfag convincing shitposting neets to kill themselves

The story is literally just shitting on Reddit, which makes it great.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

Portal only worked because it was short

The Talos Principle didn't wear out its welcome, in my opinion. The worlds had differing art styles, and you were free to leave a puzzle you didn't understand and come back to it later.

Elaborate

Paradise lost was shit, wtf are you smoking? Not weekend shit obviously, but still pretty shit.

You have to save a bunch of AIs before the virtual world they're in dies. Said robots spend their time shitposting on a forum with an upvote/downvote system. It becomes clear later that this system is being manipulated by the admin AI to control the thoughts and views of the others.

Play the game

All of Dark Souls 2's DLCs were better than the base game.

Metal Gear Rising Reveangeance Jetstream Sam.

Also for anyone interested in Talos
EE2CAE5A615CBA085F530E34BD99B389857425FD

No I don't have anything against Croteam but I thought you should all try before you buy.

Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne.

The campaign is even more creative, the new units make fine additions, the map editor improvements make for some fantastic custom games and the story was still good.

Every elder scrolls expansion is better than the vanilla game, because the content isn't spread as thin and has a more focused theme
Only one I would argue isn't is knights of the nine, and maybe bloodmoon because even in morrowind, skyrim is boring

Worlds? Shieeet
I was so done with that shit after the 50 egyptian level and i thoguht it would end on the third tower

Lol

Oh, and that reminds me, that also applies to fallout

I never saw Knights of the Nine as much of an expansion, honestly. It was more like a questline DLC.

Minerva's Den was fucking amazing, but I get the feeling hardly anyone played it, considering most faggots believed the reddit meme that BioShock 2 itself was bad.

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, Starcraft: Broodwars and World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade were all marked improvements over the base games. The two HoMM3 expansions might qualify. Morrowind: Tribunal is another one that might qualify.

Also, Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls. But in this particular case, RoS is shit but vanilla D3 is so atrociously bad that RoS is still much better.

Bioshock 2 is way better than 1 and Infinite, mostly because it's an actual game and not a vehicle for Levine to jizz all over it.

Also, daily reminder that hack Levine stole the entire plot of Infinite from 2.

If you're talking only and only about the puzzles you have a point. The story is "robots deemed too dangerous for elohim went and created reddit and you've got to sacrifice yourself to save them"

You know it doesn't have to end that way, right?

That game is like a drug. Stay off of it for more than a few days and you start craving to play it body and soul.

It's better because by the time it was made RWS got better themselves. And were very eager on showing a middle finger to Akella

I honestly couldn't into Shivering Isles. I mean it started promising enough but by the end I was so damn bored. I preferred KotN. But pretty much what said applies for Bethesda games.

I'm saying that's what he is supposed to do as opposed to what he can do.

Agreed, it's a toss up between OWB and Dead Money for me. Lonesome Road was decent, Honest Hearts felt like wasted potential.

Just because you're "supposed" to do it doesn't mean you should considering there are better options.

don't get me wrong, I love owb, but I think dm beats it out by coherency

theme of dm is letting go
theme of owb is obsession

dm sells its theme by forcing you to act in limited capacity while helping others move past themselves
owb sells its theme by letting you pass stat checks for background info on mad scientists and dumping every half baked idea the devs had into one area

I don't think you're "supposed" to do one ending any more than the others.

Was there really such an option? As far as I remember you had to practically deceive them into it and most were ungrateful fucks saying the waiting was too long while I busted my brain on the last few puzzles.

Not better by much, but still

If you choose not to get the stars and save Admin, he begs you not to tell everyone the manipulative shit he's done and you can choose to wipe that from the record (the shit choice), or reveal to everyone else everything you know, changing Admin from a beloved figure to a fuckhead in the eyes of the others in a matter of moments with the final moments before ascension showing them basically shitting on Admin and the kike groveling about how he just wanted to be loved.

The daud DLCs for dishonored were, I think, a straight upgrade for the base game.

I like Gransys more than DA just because adventuring around in the overworld has a lot more variety than just dungeon crawling. Not to say that DA was bad, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

If the base game had better dungeons and if DA had more open areas, both parts of the game would've been improved.

NWN2 MotB

I kinda want to try those, but I never had the chance and probably nver will because that would playing through Dark Souls 2 again. And it's not that the game is terrible, it's just dull, kinda frustrating and gives you absolutely no direction, I think I had killed 3 of the big 4 and had no fucking clue where to go next so I looked a little bit up online and found some passage which just led me to like the 6th or 7th optional boss and then I just gave up.

Why do you guys even buy dlc?

Oh man I almost forgot about this one, say what you will about Destiny but this expansion objectively made the game better

Where do you think we are?

I haven't played since Crota was released and people were doing the disconnect exploit.

I really wanted to play that expansion but I can't fucking justify buying an expansion that forces you to digitally purchase the game as well. I already have the fucking physical copy why the fuck do I have to buy it again just to play an expansion?

Fuck you Bungie.

Can't think of such a great game having such a fundamentally different yet also great DLC.

This. I can't stand Destiny in the slightest but for some reason when I got to play Taken King at a friend's house, I was sucked into it for 8+ hours straight, something I've done rarely since ~2010. I can't describe it but it was fun as hell to say in the least. still not worth a console or a purchase though

Oh yeah, their pricing is idiotic. The new expansion they're going to release later this month actually looks pretty good, lots of new content. Unfortunately it's priced at $30 which is too much for my blood, especially considering I paid $20 new for the version of the game that came with everything during Black Friday last year.

Doubt.jpg

Already has enough content tbh, I'm shocked people even still play it.

It's an issue with a shooter that has MMO-style systems: you replay all of the content pretty much weekly, month after month, and after that much chewing and spitting out it's going to get a little stale. More content is always welcome.

This is neither DLC nor an Expansion but I see where you're coming from.
It's arguable whether it's better than the base game. I'd say the two are equals that excel in different areas.

I'm not sure I'd say Paradise Lost is better than Postal 2. Certainly it wouldn't be able to stand by itself while Postal 2 can work without its expansion(s).

And I realise Warband isn't technically an expansion but it could easily be called something like an expandalone (though it does include all of the original game).

What happened to them? After Halo 2 and 3, Bungie would occasionally release free content like maps and even a sandbox to the players for free. When did they turn into a bunch of fucking jews?

Come to think of it Earned in Blood is also more of an expandalone than anything else. I suppose you can make an argument it's a true sequel but it's the same engine with near-identical gameplay, many of the same characters and mostly just adds new shit and ramps up the difficulty.

Prolonged exposure to microsoft took it's toll
Partnering with activision was just the final push

You could buy Taken King separately, though. Just had to go to the console's online store and purchase it there.

I mean, if you bought the game twice without being aware of the option to buy just the DLC separately, I think the blame for that rests with you. That's something that would take all of a few seconds to look up.

I do agree that their next expansion seems pretty lackluster, but I'm guessing they're putting more of their development resources towards Destiny 2 at this point, and RoI is likely just supposed to coast along until then. I guess it depends on their content release schedule; TTK had a decent drip feed of content for months, and it only started to go dry after Sparrow racing.

Much better than the Original's "Let's find the four Mcguffins four times."

good job outing yourself as a D3 "customer". shit taste son. isn't it warm milk and bed time?

Two of the expansion bosses are REALLY good. Almost O&S tier. A few of them are really, REALLY bad though. Overall the expansion content for DaS2 is better than the second half of DaS1.

DS2's 1st DLC is better designed than every other area in the game

There's no jewish gold to be made when PC doesn't have to pay a subscription fee.

Fuck that expansion, all it did was restart the skinner box all the fuck over again.

How much of a cut do they even get out of that?

They don't get a damn thing. Bungie has just been so stuck on consoles they forgot how to make shit work on non-walled gardens.

Huh that expansion was a huge pile of shit. Writing, characters and story were worse than DA:2. Combat was absolutely AWFUL. Bosses were complete shit. It was really, really, REALLY fucking bad.

Agreed. DA:O was very solid game, best of Dragon Age franchise. That expansion was just absurd and felt shittily added.

some more for you scrubs and peasants

path of the damned > terror of the tides > the scourge of lordaeron > legacy of the damned > eternity's end = the invasion of kalimdor > the founding of durotar > curse of the blood elves

The whole game might be autistic as fuck but i really enjoyed this one. Never tried the last one tho.

This reminds me why I moved to GURPS

Would if I could ever get past first fight against big sister without crashing.

They're both shit and boring

I liked the last one almost as much as I did Mr Torgue's. It wasn't very funny and pretty much everything was memeshit, but the enemies wer neat and had a lot of variety in the environments.

Pretty much.

Which ones?

You reminded me that I need to get back to Painkiller sometime

Though in all fairness, it was probably easy for any of the DLCs to beat the main game since the main game was dogshit.