This was the last Great MK. everything after is meh

this was the last Great MK. everything after is meh

Play non westernshit fightan please

Eh, any fightan game with long combos is garbage, since it just turns into one combo kills, or 40 second 50% combos where you just have to watch without actually playing.

none mk fan opinions discarded

Mortal Kombat 9 was good. MK stopped being good once it jumped to 3D, like everything else. MK9 was a nice come back, but the sequel fucked up everything it did right.

still not as good as this tbh

Better question is, why was MK9 so good, and MKX so bad.

Because Megaman X and Megaman 9

did you guyes even play pre next gen mk?

Yes, MK Trilogy is my favorite. I'm just saying MK9 was a good try at trying to be like the originals. It was better than any of the horizontal movement MKs.

I did, and i did not like not virtua fighter 2.5d gameplay at all.
MK should have remained a 2d fighting game like the original three.

did you play this? i thought it was great

It was better than the trash that was MK4, but too slow for my taste.

I actually played a decent amount of MK9, was one of the reasons I got a PS3, really. It's just that I'm more of a SF3 person I guess.

One of my bigger buyer's remorses of that generation actually. I was a big boy and finally hyped up to own a Mortal Kombat game. Only it turned out that the whole series is shit.

You meant to say MK3 Ultimate or MK Trilogy, right? 3d Mortal Kombats are shit.

MK is special because it doesn't rely on the FGC for sales.

For example you can see in this very thread, most of the people here aren't FGC.
They like MK because of the characters, the story, the goofyness, or maybe they even got used to the old shitty 2D combat system, it doesn't matter, the point is that they love MK for reasons that are unusual for the FGC and not at all coherent to why the FGC usually likes a game.

What does it mean for the series?
It means that 90% of sales comes from MK fans, the games are made FOR MK fans, and it's a self feeding creature that has a pool of numbers that isn't tied to how popular fighting games are in whatever era.
Fighting games had a huge crash, in fact they crashed and died THREE TIMES, and all three times MK was utterly unaffected in terms of sales, because MK sells for reasons completely unrelated to the mechanics of the game itself.

This also ensures that there's a huge pool of MK fans that likes MK for different reasons, so basically if you're the hardcore old 2D fan and hate the 3D iterations it doesn't matter because a new MK fanbase has been estabilished with 9 that latched onto the cheesyness and now they're your substitute and they're gonna bring money in regardless of how you feel about the new games.

Maybe you liked MK9 and hated 10, that also doesn't matter because most MK9 fans did buy and love 10, and additionally they also dragged in part of the FGC that loved 10 over 9 and will continue to like sequels if they are more and more FGC friendly (it doesn't last, they move onto other games, but the temporary boost is pretty nice in terms of sales when each title is still hot).

Basically what i'm trying to say is that Boon is a genius and he found a way to create a series that will -always- sell no matter what, and he also found a way to pander and be loved by his fans, while at the same time setting up a system that makes sure each generation of fans can very easily be replaced with each new game.
And on top of all this MK is completely immune to how much people like fighting games in general, it will always sell regardless.

It's kinda fucking amazing and it really shouldn't work in theory, but it does.

While I do think Armageddon more fun, mostly because the absurd amount of content, Deception was fantastic.
Frankly, I think Midway/NetherRealm did a great job in all their titles for that generation. The 3D MKs were fun to play, were full of great content and that's what really matter. They were great games made to be fun to play, not to satisfy the esport crowd as what we saw in the most recent MK.

Frankly, it should work. Think EDF: It's a game that is mostly coop where you kill mostly the same type of enemies in some slightly different manners over, and over, and over, and over… And why? Because that is what sold the game in the first place: Coop with people battling monsters in silly ways. You can produce EDF games basically forever. Now, what happen if you try to deviate from what your fan base like, take away a bit of the silliness and reduces the scale of the battles? You get Insect Armageddon, a game that, while is not bad at all by "EDF standards" is not good enough either.

But it works. And the fans really love that shit because the devs are delivering what made the franchise work in the first place.
And you are right about MK X, as a long time fan of the series, I felt betrayed by that game exactly because it deviated so much of what the series should be:

Basically, what Boon did for quite some time is probably make the MK games he thought would be fun to play. And the pinnacle of this was MK 9, since it was pure MK left and right, even with Babalities on unplayable bosses, secret fights and so on.

Boon WAS an example of great developer before MK X and probably was the most devoted to deliver what fans wanted in the big market.
I hope the MK team get back on form, but after Boon started spewing SJW bullshit, I don't really believe that anymore.

every fighting is the same

Yeah i agree, that's actually a really good comparison.

And no, MKXI won't get back to form, MKX was the most FGC friendly MK game ever made and they'll continue to move towards that direction, with MK/FGC hybrid fans.
Hell MKX itself is essentially the result of Boon lsitening to the FGC regarding what they felt didn't work in 9.

As i said, old fans can just be replaced immediately without much effort.
But he's not dumb, he's not exactly going full FGC, rather just creating a new "in between" audience that will ensure the biggest amount of sales overall.

MK was fine if you didn't treat it as your typical competitive fighting game. Treating it as real fighting game is wrong, even its creators knew this.

Because they copypasted the first trilogy, the only good MK games. Ironically it was lacking because modern devs are untalented hacks and because NetherRealm modelers are the worst AAA modelers.

I think you're bullshiting considering MK isn't a niche, it works because it's your another AAA game for wide audience which they once alienated just like many other AAA studios with shit games. They went bankrupt for a reason when they were Midway and with MKX they seems to repeat their previous mistakes, although they nailed gameplay itself nicely. MKX has shitty generic and uninteresting roster again, the game is missing some features and of course their "styles" feature is lacking too because devs were lazy and not creative enough.

No, really, it's like saying "CoD shouldn't be successful in theory".

Also, I find it amusing that Capcom is trying to go the same route as NetherReal except they have no idea how to get the same retards interested in their game. With SF5 they did one half job since they forgot about the second important part which is offline content. They actually could beat NetherRealm by bringing more offline content than in MKX alone.

Came here to post this. Though to be fair i never played a 3d mortal kombat.

I enjoyed MK9. I think it was the nostalgia more than anything though. The game was horribly balanced with the same 2 characters winning all the tournaments, cycling the same 3 attacks to xray. Played online for a day and never went back. It was fun to play with my siblings and friends that came over. Only paid $20 for the GOTY edition with all the DLC. Got my moneys worth.

I ignored MKX purely due to the bullshit virtue signaling of making a four-armed womans tits smaller to be more "realistic". Not even surprised an SJW shitfest was abandoned and is broken shit. That's how it always is. What I don't get is why are the biggest virtue signaling fuckwads in charge of the most raunchiest and sexualized AAA franchises of yesteryear. Randy Bitchford owns fucking Duke Nukem for god sakes. What the fuck?

Mortal Kombat is the MDE of fightan

Every good fighting game has 50%+ combos and one combo kills, even games like SF2 and Samurai Shodown that barely have combos.

This literally never happened. Every dev except Capcom continues making fighting games as usual and nobody bats an eye. Capcom stops shitting out endless sequels for a few years and everyone loses their minds.

Because Americlaps can't even conceive of playing any fighter but Capcom games and whatever animoo fighter came out last month. It's one of the reasons they are trash at every fighting game except Marvel.

The 3D Mortal Kombat games that are actually 3D (like with side-stepping and shit) are fucking terrible fighting games. Deadly Alliance and Deception are good fanservice games, in fact Deception has the best Fatalities in the series, but they are absolutely abysmally unfun to play.

UMK3, MK9, and MKX are the only MK games that are legit high quality gaming.

How is MKX combat/characters wise? I know its story mode is bad and it must sold like shit on PC because IIRC they stopped updating it on PC a while ago

Every character having 3 stance(?) looked interesting to me

MDE?

It's by far the best MK game as far as strategic depth goes. But it has some weird execution requirements, and both 9 and X emphasize the sort of "cheap" stuff people love to bitch about, most notably projectiles and chip damage (EVERYTHING chips).

They also don't really give a fuck about PC players so the console version is preferable.

You pick one of 3 fighting styles for your character at the character select screen. Each style has its own set of special moves, while sharing a set of normal moves. So pretty much each character is 3 characters; The 3 versions of one character in MKX will often play more differently from each other than, like, Ryu/Ken/Akuma in a SF game.

This is all true, however it's the same reason why i try to explain that a global crash never happened and there was only a north american console focused crash, if you were anything else or not playing games on consoles you were fine, and nobody cares and they'll always call it the "video game crash".
So it's easier to shorten the whole thing to "fighting games had a crash".

In terms of pure gameplay i consider it the best MK ever made.
Also while the new, how the community calls them "MK babies" are a terrible addition to the roster, i do think that Takeda is alright, Ferra & Torr is pretty fun, and D'Vorah, Erron Black and Kotal Kahn are fucking amazing and great addition to the cast.
People are mostly pissed about classic staples not returing, and they have a right to be pissed, but i think we lost some and gained some, MK in the past had a MUCH more bloated cast with a shit ton of useless characters nobody liked, right now if you ignore the MK babies everyone else is a pretty good addition, in my opinion.

I don't think they really are. Capcom looks lost with SF V. At first SF was more of an ASSFAGOTS and not a fighter, that explains the complete lack of offline content. They committed the stupid idea of believing FGC/esports are the audience they should listen. They are a huge minority and they adapt to the games around them, so, if you plan to adapt to them, you are a goner.
When Capcom saw it was a disaster, and they wanted to keep their western audiences, they looked at very successful games online, and that's a theory I have, could be bullshit, but they were not looking directly at MK to create a story mode, and more to CoD. A game that is always sold by it's MP side, but kept the single player mode, with plenty of fans always saying that is important for the experience. And because of that they thought MK was a good example to follow because they were a fighting game that did the same. But MK already have been doing it since Deception, so they are more or less experienced on the matter. And if you believe Capcom would manage to get even close to what MK usually deliver on the single player department, I will need to call you retard. Since when any SF game got close to the amount of stuff from games like Deception, Armageddon or MK9? Never. SFA 3 or SF EX had plenty of stuff on consoles, but they were miles away form what MK was doing. Or even Tekken to be honest. Even MK X have more offline stuff than any SF game to date.

Say, do you have brain damage? People thinking like you are the reason MK is the mess that it is now.
If you make a game thinking that the "top players" are your player base, as SF V or MK X did, you will screw it up.

It's a change of the system implemented back in the PS2 era MKs. In Deception this system got it's deepest version, you had three fighting stances, two fighting styles and one with weapons. The special moves didn't change, but your combos and normals did change with each stance. This allowed to change stances on the fly. MK X made bigger changes with each variation. The system in MK X, to me, could be better if it allowed changes mid-fight, maybe like Capcom did with Ryu on MvsC, with him changeing between Ken mode or Gouki mode.

If you look at that video and think, "that's a good game that would be a lot of fun to play with someone else", you definitely have brain damage.

Good thing that's not remotely what they did then, seeing as SFV is by far the most casual-orient fighting game Capcom has ever made, even moreso than the Marvel series which was invented especially FOR casuals.

Literally the only thing Capcom did with SFV that could even be considered pandering to top players was rushing the game out unfinished in order for it to appear at Evo16. But top players pretty much universally hated that, and the only reason Capcom did it was to pander to all the casuals who stream Evo every year.

It's amazing the way you know SO little about fighting games other than MK. Dunning-Kruger in full effect.

>has very fucking little story that explains the shit that has been going on in the mean time buy the comics, goym
>not that the comics help because the story is just as fucking convoluted
>Cassie cage is too much Sonya and her Johnny stuff is in limited supply and her fucking VA couldn't deliver a line, just like how her brother can't not be a world renowned cuck
>Kung Jin is a parody of Thief and Arrow and is a faggot, but the main problem is that he's an arrogant, unlikable asshole and is "supposed" to be the "new shaolin" even fucking Bo Rai Cho thinks he needs his ass kicked, and when the fat slobby drunken master thinks your ass needs to be kicked, you fucked up

KOTAL KAHN JUST WANTS OUTWORLD TO STOP SUCKING BUT EARTHREALM WON'T LET HIM

Yeah Kotal is pretty much a semi neutral character that only appears "bad" because he wants to be the leader.
I mean he wants to rule the OUTWORLD.

A place with creatures that try to eat your entire lower half when you're trying to take a shit and suck your soul trough your anus.
Of course someone trying to rule such a place needs the bloodthirst and force of will of an angry aztec god (mor or less what he is).

All things considered he can be reasonable, it was earthrealm role to try and work around his obligations and culture, not the other way around.
Then of course shit gets complicated because of "the plot gotta move fowards", but at the beginning he's someone earthrealm could've worked with, definitely much more than they ever could with Shao Kahn.

Dude, you really think that people who like fighting games only want to play SF like fighters?
You clearly do, but that's ok.
You said SF V was made for casuals, it's an interesting point. Mostly because you said it yourself: The game was rushed for EVO. What else can I say? Oh, by the way, Capcom have been paying a good amount for "professional players" to give then guidance in SF V for quite some time. Now, how can you pay FGC players to to tell you what to do, rush the game to be released on the biggest fighting game tournament in the world, and it's not pandering to the FGC?!?!

And the most casual SF? People don't have to say they enjoyed SF, but that's a lie. Of course people will not agree ever, but in many ways SF V is as deep as SF III. The problem is, it does not make the game good. A game do not have to use complex systems to be good.
And again, you clearly don't like 3D fighters as the PS2/Xbox MK were. That's OK really, now, stop projecting. People enjoyed those games, people still do.
And frankly, do you really believe I know little about fighting games? Listen to this shit when I've been playing fighting games, all the major series and even much smaller ones as, for 20 years is kind of funny really. I'm literally too old for this shit.

Why is old Sonya so dreamy Holla Forums? I would totally Take her out on a date

Didn't you people notice a drop in quality jumping from 2 to 3, I mean for once, the fatalities seem more cheaply animated, less detail, and heck, even the costumes seem cheaper.

mortal cumbat was always juggalo-tier trash for subhumans

Because she was inspired by Cynthia Rothrock, one of the few female martial artists and stuntman that meant real fucking business when she entered the set and kicked all sorts of asses.

Look up some of the scenes he did back in the day, she was great (and campy as fuck, wich fits MK perfectly)

reminder.

I don't remember noticing but the gap between 2 and 3 is also around the time I went from primarily playing in an arcade (or mexican restaurant in the case of MK2) to home console.

So I probably would have attributed it to that anyway.

Forgot to add:

And nostalgia goggles because I played the shit out of ultimate with my friends.

Until we get custom text shit that shows pictures like console buttons or light/medium/heavy punch and so forth, trying to write and read combos is a massive pain in the ass.

And no, I'm not saying I'm one of those retards who can't map the numpad to in-game movements, it's just a pain in the ass to read them especially when you're talking about charge moves, buffers, and all that shit.

I don't know man… All the arcade and 6th gen Mortal Kombat games remind me of a time when developers just tried to make games that were fun to play purely for the sake of it, and not trying to push some agenda down your throat or meet sales goals and what have you.

nah

I didn't even play a capcom fighter until Sophmore year of high school
Grew up with Mortal Kombat 2 and Killer Instinct on my SNES. Got a PS1 and got gud at Tekken& Soul Caliber.
Euros should really stop talking about shit like they know what their saying

So now that midway/netherrealm has shekels, do you think they will make MK fire & ice?
I has a blast playing shaolin monks with friends.

Go back to the buffet, burger. Adults are talking here.

April 26, 1982, nigger.
That's the date on my birth certificate.
Rodger Ebert did nothing wrong

Mortal Kombat was never good. It was style over substance and still is. Killer Instinct pulled it off much better.

They weren't doing it for the 5000 people who played at EVO you fucking idiot. They were doing it for the half million people who -watch- EVO. You know, casuals.

top kek, only someone who had never played 3s would be able to have a thought that stupid.

Good joke, brah. VF5 is the best fighting game on the planet, and I own every Tekken game. In fact, 3D fighters are, on average, better than 2D fighters. 3D MK games are just mindblowingly bad.

Casuals should really stop talking about shit like they know what they're saying.

t. Casual

Because Kerri Hoskins/the second Sonya is a former Playboy playmate, when the magazine was relevant.

Going to emulate this now and see how it holds up, I only ever played it with friends back in the day.

Played it, its solid, but I'm not in love with those extra modes. Overall? I can see how it would shine in multiplayer, the single players kinda weak.

It wasn't bad, but it was shit compared to 2D MKs.

Maybe fans fell for it and bought it, but that's the worst commercialized piece of shit I've seen. The only appeal of Mortal Kombat are funny fatalities and gore And story for fans, I guess

I kind of agree with you, but Armageddon "content" was a joke, in comparison, Deception have more content. The Armageddon "shit-ton of characters" was just a gimmick considering how they played mostly the same, and they even share one of the most boring fatality mechanics ever. The other modes were lacking, but not bad, thought. All in all, Armageddon is pretty mediocre compared to Deception. And I'm still salty about the fatality.

SJW fucked Boon, what a big surprise. Maybe he'll wake up from it, or we'll forever lost him. I miss John Tobias, he was the one that kept everything together, look how everything went to hell after since MK4 But the faggot works for Zynga now, apparently

You make the game sounds better than it is.

What a fucking stuck up cunt. Eat shit and die.

But that's not a valid comparison since Megaman X is way better than Reused assets 9

I liken Mortal Kombat to pro wrestling. It's a spectacle more than actual "fighting," and its strong points are the characters, the story, and the lore rather than frames, hitboxes, and tiers. It's so popular because it's popcorn in comparison to a gourmet meal that might be Virtua Fighter.

And I'm fine with that, because I grew up with the series and love it like a comic book. Because that's what it is, and it doesn't shy away from that. MKX and 9 may have tried more and more to appeal to the FGC but it's still about the core fans at their hearts.

As for the roster, as for characters changing it's nothing new at all. Boon and crew have changed the way characters look all the time, which is something a lot of newer fans might not realize. I'm actually one of few people that want to see returning characters from the 3D era, because I believe there's an opportunity to transform them into something better instead of shitting out new characters that may, more often than not, be hated by the more hardcore crowd.

They recently ended beta for PC version with GGPO and they going to bring XL version with KP2 on PC this October iirc. Online in beta was good and the game itself wasn't buggy as hell. PC version probably going to be the best version, especially for cheap price. QLOC is likely behind this port again too. If only the game wasn't shit.

Was SF4 your first fighting game you took seriously? You clearly wasn't a fan of fighting games if this is all what you played. The genre was always a niche aside from MK and SF which is why fighting games were always alive and will never die. Personally I dropped the genre altogether in 2011 or 2012 because I just stopped playing video games. Can we consider that in 2012 industry crashed too just because I stopped playing games?

Pretty sure Boon pulled something like "MKX is for new fans".

Why did you waste your time with that shit game in the first place?

IT WAS NOT BY CHANCE THAT THIS TROUBLE CAME TO BE
WHA, BLUGAH
THE BLAME FALLS SQUARELY UPON MY SHOULDERS FOR GIVING EVIL THE CHANCE IT NEEDED AND THEREFORE FULFILLING AN ANCIENT PROPHECY
CHA WHOOOH
RAIDEN'S EARTHREALM CHAMPIONS FAILED TO STOP THE DEADLY ALLIANCE FROM FULLY RESURRECTING THE MUMMIFIED ARMY OF THE DRAGON KING
AH WHAGHU
IN THE END, ONLY RAIDEN HIMSELF STOOD BETWEEN THE EARTHREALM AND TOTAL DESTRUCTION
DEFYING THE ELDERGOD'S WISHES, HE ALONE CHALLENGED QUAN CHI AND SHANG SUN IN MORTAL KOMBAT, EARTHREALM'S LAST HOPE FOR FREEDOM
AYE WOH HADAH
URAH
AAAH HEHEYAH
UROH
WOHAH UROH
EREGAH
TERIGOH
I would keep going but I'd run out of characters, this was my childhood though, I memorized that opening like crazy cuz it was the only other game I had.

Agreed. I guess best would be the that PS1 one which has all characters from MK3 + Ultimate and all finishing moves and is still classic 2D.

Mortal Kombat was once part of pop-culture, heck it was even referenced in big Hollywood-movies and shit. The biggest wrestling-organisation around, basically copied characters from the game to buy in on the hype of Mortal Kombat.

And that's why it still sells, it's COD before COD ever existed, it's a well-known franchise even outside of the NEET's forums.

I always preferred Tekken as my button-masher.

According to the story, he "betrayed" Mileena because Netherrealm was attacking and she wouldn't work with earthrealm to save EVERYONE's ass because she's a nutty cunt. Reptile presented the legal stuff because Kotal is a bro to him and Ermac shifted sides and everyone followed kotal because he followed rules and everyone agreed outworld fucking sucked and should get better. Hell, the comics show him handing the amulet to raiden ,saying he should hang onto it until Mileena is dead because she'll kill fucking everyone.

RAIDEN DROPPED THE FUCKING BALL

He's just sick of Raiden being a useless twat.