So it's finally time to replace my 670 with a 1070 but I'm still running an i7-3930K

So it's finally time to replace my 670 with a 1070 but I'm still running an i7-3930K.
Anyone else have this setup as I'm unsure about bottlenecking?
I would ask Holla Forums but I don't run gentoo

first ask yourself what you want to play
then check benchmarks and see if it performs better to an extent that it'll make a difference (ie, if a game you play now gets 20fps on med settings, but benchmarks show the new card getting 50 on max settings, consider that!)
then look and see what's coming up. Are they going to be demanding games? If not consider the following
-faster storage
-faster/more RAM
-faster cpu

pc gaming has been a bone picking fest of ports lately, it's hard to justify upgrading.

The GPU is needed as I'm having to drop settings below what I would like on several games. My CPU is fine for what I do / play but I'm not sure if it'll bottleneck the GPU.

I know upgrades are rarely needed, that is why my build is 5 years old

If the period we're going through now is bone picking port fest then what was around '09 when they started introducing always online shit and ports didn't even have graphics settings. At least we got rid of the latter for most part even if online DRM is still not going away.

The CPU won't "bottleneck" the GPU. If the CPU is a bottleneck it is one on its own.

I'd rather have lots of new, interesting and advanced games and shit drm which requires me to pay than fucking nothing or games that are the same or even better on consoles.

There is no way in hell any game will be bottlenecked by a 3930k.

If you haven't overclocked that sumbitch you really should though, regardless.

I have an i7-3930K in my spare desktop OC'd to 4.2GHz. How is a hex-core i7 a bottleneck? It's only 4 years old.

So the GPU can't / won't end up waiting for the CPU to send it instructions?

The only thing that hurts it is lots of AI in ARMA but that will kill anything. As for OC I have water on it and will eventually but there just isn't a yet.

Thanks user.

why? I don't get graphics fags these days. What do you want to play that needs a new GPU?

Quick question. What RAM are you using in that? Are you pushed the FSB or just playing with the multiplier?

ARMA 3 mainly, the game supports 10km draw distance and I'm stuck at 1.5km like a chump.

That's what user meant by saying it's a bottleneck on it's own. No matter what GPU you have, if your CPU can't send instructions you're bottlenecking your build.

If you are having top turn graphics settings down to get good framerates your CPU isn't a bottleneck.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Turkroaches are truly our greatest ally

it looks like an early 360 game, even some original xbox games look more impressive. If you can't run a game that looks like it could run on fucking 15 year old hardware, then the devs need to get their shit together.

I have a i7-2600k with a 1070 and I hardly get frame drops.
Had the 1070 for about a month now.

I just run the CPU at stock speeds and have yet to see anything tank FPS.

I suppose I could OC my CPU but I just can't be assed to jump through all the hoops to do so.

Any time I have read about OC'n a CPU it seems way more involved/risky than doing so for a GPU.

the rest is literally just putting numbers into a menu

To be fair it is a little scary at first because of the "I can brick it" factor but after a couple of bios resets that quickly goes away.
Many moons ago I had a 2.4ghz P4 with a fan in-place of the side panel for a stable 3.2 OC.

your gonna need a new i7 6900 to go with that 1070 m80 dont u know u cant mix generations of parts

Dude, I was reading stuff months ago and it there were things like "Factory fresh Windows Install to remove outdated drivers"

"Get updated BIOS", which I know can be a disaster because BIOS errors can fry your whole machine.

Also I have an after market cooler, removing it isn't that much of a hassle if I had to apply new thermal paste, its just I hate doing anything that is involved around mounting of a motherboard.

You wouldn't need the newest i7 cpu for gaming, a i5 6600 or a i5 6400 would be good.

You'll be fine. Lots of people are still playing on 2500ks, and they're only recently seeing reasons to upgrade.

You don't, though depending on your tech you may have bottlenecks in various categories. I don't think that CPU would bottleneck much yet especially since there's not much difference from 2nd to 4th gen.

I'm running a computer with a 4 year gap between the CPU and GPU and I have zero bottleneck with my tech.

8th best CPU according to Futuremark right now. Marginally behind a 6700K in terms of performance. I'd save the money on a CPU upgrade, were I you.

Every fucking time man.

No, it won't be a problem. CPU's have both improved and at the same time, not by much if at all when it comes to games. An Pentium 4 can run arma 3 on medium setting and most modern games at 30-40fps or more.

That's kinda nuts.
Though I suppose clock speeds haven't budged much over the past decade and games give zero shits about multiple cores and power usage which are the main advancements.

Thoughts on Rx480 Nitro+?

The 480 is technically a worse deal than the 1060 unless you want to play upcoming DX12 games. That said, it's only a 2-3 FPS average difference for the most part, so if you just want it because of the brand it's not really a big deal.

I've heard some bitching about the nitro+, something to do with a shitty cooler, but I'm not sure. I would read up on that model.

Tell me more

Vulkan

1060 (6gb) is a bit higher performing for a bit more money, but they're pretty much the same cost/perf value.
480 is better for DX12/Vulcan.
1060 is better for lower power consumption.
480 is better for Freesync being cheaper.
1060 is better for running Goyworks.
Anything else I'm missing?

I remember reading that the Nitro wasn't the best aftermarket 480.

Would my i5-750 bottle neck GPUs?

Vulkan and DX12 are almost carbon copies of each other with close to identical performance. (Sometimes DX12 has a few extra fps and sometimes Vulkan comes out ahead. but the differences are usually less than 5 fps.)

DX12, however, is locked to win10 and is a marketing scheme, wheras Vulkan works on Vulkan runs on "Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Tizen, Linux, and Android" according to wikipedia.

So if you see a DX12 title, the studio and/or publisher is in m$'s pocket.

Very cool video, thanks user.

I've been using a gtx 750. Its worked like a charm. I think the most recent thing I have played was Dark Souls 3 and it worked pretty well.

what about it?

It'd be great with intel fell even if just a little long enough for nvidia to get into the game.

We need more competition after intel jew'd the entire market.

What drugs are you on user, they are in totally different markets.
intergrated GPUs are never going to replace discrete GPUs

What is she holding in the first picture and what is she plugging into in the second?

won't be an issue specially since that's a 6 core, intel's only progress on their CPUs is power use since AMD hasn't competed in a long time

personally i run games at 1440p 120fps and when i also throw in antialiasing in the mix even old games can fail to reach the maximum frame rate. still holding off upgrading my single 780 though

i'm being skeptical about the new game, but if it is what they're showing who could've thought kebab would save us from shit vidya

You missed that the GTX 1060 has no SLI support, if user is into that kind of thing when the price drops.

amd was focusing on power consumption, is it still that bad?

and if its 2-3fps why bother with company that backstabbs their customers

Do you mean AMD? Nvidia doesn't make CPUs.

nvidia certainly has the knowledge to make their own cpu, i wonder why they haven't put out a product yet. Probably something to do with the jewish world of x86 and the fact that they're probably too late for the arms race