Just started pic related, was about to pick Classic Mode...

Just started pic related, was about to pick Classic Mode, but the game advised me to try Story Mode first though it didn't say why. Is this just to try to encourage people to play the shittier mode, or does it actually unlock things for the real game?

it unlocks the highlander and gunner classes for the real mode.

It also has another 5 or 6 story exclusive floors with their own unique FOEs and bosses.

Shit. So I really should play through the generic crap mode first then?

If you want to use the highlander or gunner jobs, yes.

The story exclusive stratum stays story exclusive though.

Damn. As jobs are they generics like every other job, or is it just importing the same characters from the story mode?

Pretty much import the story mode characters, the implementation sucks which is why they fixed this in EO2U…..while introduced more worse problems.

Well shit, so may as well just play the real game and ignore the Story Mode entirely then like I originally planned? Not like there's a shortage of classes to pick anyway

Playing classic is fine, it's pretty much like the original EO but with it's bugs fixed and QoL improvements.

Why kind of fixes? Is it worth the uglier graphics the 3DS version has, or should I just wait for DS emulation on 3DS to not require flash carts?

What kind*, my apologies, it's 4 AM here

Map has no item limit, abilities have proper translations and quest items don't take up inventory space forever.
Don't even touch EOU2

Translation wouldn't be an issue since I'm playing in Moon, but the other two do sound like they might matter. Guess I'll stick with this version then, thanks.

The game is fun to solo with highlander, of course you have to beat story mode first.
Story mode is nice since you get Canadian waifu Raquna.

They also fixed the balance of a lot of the abilities.

Huge balance fixes. Most notable is that Immunize works properly. In EO1 it reduced all forms of damage (when the description said only elemental) and it was possible to cheese the entire game with Medics, as they had other OP skills as well.

All EO1 classes are available from start; Ronin and Hexer had to be unlocked in the original. A couple of classes that were just dead weight in EO1 (ie. Alchemist) are now viable.

Maps were redrawn (except first floor) but still keep the general spirit of the originals, but less obtuse. It's very noticeable in the last few floors. The 'QoL' improvements compared to EO4 are negligible (You can run!) but from EO1 are huge. Like, the ability to see FOEs on the map instead of giant blobs. Or sidestep. There's very little reason to play EO1 over EOU; all of the story-locked content in EOU wasn't in the original game. Classic still provides the best original experience.

Don't bother with story mode, it's rubbish, and Highlander and Gunner don't add much anyway.
Classic mode is EO1 with an engine update, rebalanced classes and a huge amount of QoL improvments.

As someone who tried to get through Story Mode before starting Classic, just skip Story Mode and do Classic. I got burnt out by simply not having enough fun with the very vanilla party layout you're given.
UGH
I need DAMAGE

EOU felt very bland after having so much fun in EO4 which also has significantly more vibrant and beautiful art direction.

I'm having a lot of fun playing EO2U, more fun than I had with EOU

What

Ah, so the usual "we didn't do this right the first time so we're going to fix it so you can't just use the one broken skill to steamroll everything," fair enough there. Also liking preunlocking classes, my 'tism with these types of games means I try to keep everyone at the same experience value so they all level up at the same time, so I'd rather not have to restart a whole team to try out new classes.

A shame it looks like I'm stuck with these 3D models instead of the gorgeous spritework I've seen for the DS games, but at least the soundtrack can be set to a proper FM.

Raquna's dialogue uses the word "Ontario" and she eats a lot of maple syrup.

I'm guessing this is a foreign localization thing? That just sounds out of place and bizarre.

The 3D models aren't that bad. In fact, they do the sprites a lot of justice.

Raquna a qt indeed.

It's so deliberate that it must have been part of the original script. Atlus's localization is part of what drew me into the series when I was captivated by the writing in EO2 on a DS emulator. I doubt they would inject such an immersion breaking gag into the script for their own amusement.

Jap westaboos fucking love their western waifus.

Personal preference, I just don't like 3D models for the most part.

I find it much more likely that Atlus USA just made up whatever they felt like, what I've seen of screenshots from their work around Holla Forums has been less than professional. Is this a normal character, or a Story one?

No, she's Canadian in the Japanese version. You'd be surprised how many canadian characters there are in jap games and anime.

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

This makes me laugh every time, is there any video game character with bigger testicles than the Count of Tharsis? I love EO4 so much.

Raquna's only in Story Mode, Classic units don't have dialogue outside of maybe grunting in cutscenes.

I wouldn't be, but jamming one into a fictional world is new for me.

But EO is a fictional version of the real world, so it isn't very far fetched

Only indication of Canada's existence I'm aware of is Lumber Gundam.

Ah, it's a playable character then? And damn, how quickly does it show up? I might poke around the Story Mode to find out how much of this Canada shit is added in.

The first time you go to the story mode dungeon, by the end. It might take you 10-20minutes if you skip fast.

Hm, got the characters and back to town, still nothing indicating the existence of Canada. At what point does it come up?

I'm playing EO2U and facing a difficulty spike at the 24th floor on an Expert Story Mode save file. My party was all level 70 and I Rested a few to tinker with alternative skill investments.

Fafnir - I just switched from a physical build with level 20 Full Slash, Resonance, Force Charge, and Phys Atk Up to an elemental setup with level 10 elemental Sabers and Element Atk Up
I can't judge the elemental approach fairly without a full lineup of relevant grimoires but so far I'm feeling that the power of 100% HP Full Slash and Turn 4 Resonance can muscle past Cut resistances while elemental specialization gets walled by some monsters.

Sovereign - level 20 Attack Order and level 7 War Cry buff the line's offense. Level 20 Link Order (II) hits really damn hard making Arianna a top damage dealer right up with Fafnir and Flavio

Survivalist - Hazy Arrow opened my eyes to his damage potential. I removed all his points into Drop Shot and Sagittarius shot to invest in Trick Step for lowering enemy acc and Chain Dance to improve his evasion. I previously felt the party synergy didn't reward ailments enough to justify investment but I bumped Blind Arrow up to 10 to run with this evasion gimmick. It's very fun now.

Protector - god damn I hate Protectors, they are by far the most boring class. I honestly only started Story Mode because I thought it unlocked classes like in EOU. His stat growths make him shit at everything else, and this story party's too discordant to lose the safety net of consistent damage reduction.

War Magus - everyone raves about Ailing Slash but I strongly dislike ailment-reliant strategies when only two of my party members have acceptable LUC stats to land them. She's a dedicated heal nerd, boring like Bertrand. Level 20 Warmight at least pleases my dick a little bit though I just recently learned something about diminishing returns on stacked buffs.

I was most recently demoralized by being forced to flee from two of those sentries on the 24th floor. I was able to stave off one with Fire Wall and Barrier but once the second joined I got fucked up.

I've heard people like Flavio as a Hexer but that feels like isolating Flavio and Chloe to be reliant on each other to be worth anything individually.

Share experiences with your most fun_ party layouts from EO2U's Story Mode. Is elemental Fafnir worth the skill points?

Nonexistant EOU2 is pure cancer

It shouldn't be that far since this guy's map is showing B1F. It's not something they harp on over and over, just part of an event dialog.

ayy lmao

Even that aside they made horrible design choices for the balance of the game.

>not just pirating the DLC and game

I'm just starting a parallel Classic Mode file. Party's around level 20 and I've had a much easier time with my personal team compared to the Story team. Fafnir hardly feels OP compared to something like Dark Hunter which isn't a practical class in Story Mode. The real bullshit is the DLC, as I have personally experienced that it is ridiculously game-changing. On top of unlimited ental, the DLC includes a 300% experience bonus food and if you eat before reporting Quest results, you get triple quest exp rewards.
With the DLC, the difficulty becomes trivial, and that's the real major flaw.

That being said it's pretty fun when you can quickly grind yourself up to speed if you can trust yourself to not overlevel and ruin the next 5 floors.

Currently dividing my attention between one EO4 save and two EO2U saves.

Acceptable, honestly if they included the substantial DLC (Highlander and bosses) in the base game then I would be fine with it. One should wonder why they locked those behind a paywall in a fucking remake.

It becomes much more noticeable later.
Around stratum 4

I just don't get why they don't keep the original classic mode stats. They use the same stats for monsters for story mode and classic, how retarded is that? They should also nerf the gunner and highlander in classic mode.
I love the game, the only bad thing is how tedious the sponges are, even if they're really hard.

Shekels. Japanese are just inept for this kind of stuff. Their codes usually work, barely, with duct tape

Story mode is dogshit. Don't start with it. EO is a game about exploring the unknown and overcoming challenges. You never get the same experience again by replaying it. Exploring a place isn't anywhere near the same if you've already been there before and know the area, even if it's just in general.

Story mode in general is this abomination that directly contradicts what EO was supposed to be about, all because they wanted to appeal to people that don't like EO for what it is.

Well I'm glad they heavily dialed back the DLC with EOV, can't wait for that to come out.

It came out last month user, and it's pretty great, I definitely recommend it.

I'm waiting for the Fatlus USA localisation since their work on the EO games is pretty solid. Plus I have other games to play in the meantime.

Fair enough, can't speak on the quality, as I don't play foreignizations of games, so the only things I've seen outside of the Canada thing here that Atlus's US branch has done are screencaps of their godawful work on Persona.

Alchemist worked fine in the original. You tool them like you tool every other class.

There is an item limit on the maps, it's just very hard to reach. I still can't figure out how to properly map B16F without hitting the limit though.

Is it even viable to play that game without knowing moon? I would see myself constantly having to use a guide.

That reminds me. I'm okay with not having voice acting in games but games like 7th Dragon III VFD made the game much more entertaining with it. I played EO:MD with no voice acting but hearing people scream and call out moves when they attack is entertaining. Like in Stranger of the Sword City, Demon Gaze, or Dungeon Travelers 2.

I can't say for sure, since I can read well enough to understand most all of it. Back in the days before I learned though, used to stumble through shit like Fire Emblem and MegaTen with just basic pattern recognition and experimentation.

Instead of arrows use walls and don't use FOE markers though I don't remember having trouble mapping that area in the original.

Alchemist really isn't a bad class for the first 4 strata, if only because elemental damage is hard to come by.

What's your favorite version of the buffing class in EO?

I like the Prince/Princess/Sovereign, Attack Order all day.

EO4 Trick Samba Dancer/Nightseeker

EO3 is objectively the best EO game right?

Best classes is a question of taste. I like Buccaneer and Princess, I mostly like Arbalest and I really like the weird tech skills and their synergies that a lot of classes have, especially Shogun, but on the other hand the Wildling doesn't fill the Hexer-shaped hole in my heart like Arcanist does. I like a lot of the things EO4 does more than EO3 even if the game as a whole is a bit weaker.

Arbalist is my favorite class in the whole series. Front Mortar, Giant Kill, absolute fun.

And they have the best girl in the entire series.

I haven't used Wildlings seriously yet but I've seen people do wild shit with them.

Such as?

The grinding trick for one.

Berserker Vow + Charge for maximum goodness.

I was considering building an Arbalist/Ninja for evasion and TP recovery.

To get the most out of an arbalist they need a gladiator subclass. Berserker Vow, Charge and Front Mortar does some fucking ridiculous damage. Both gladiators and arbalists pretty much require someone to feed them Dark Ether to be useful in fights that won't end after they both get two attacks in, unless you have someone feeding them amritas.

Arbalists are really slow to begin with and can't take hits, so I don't know how much that ninja evasion is going to help. Maybe it works. I've never tried one.

The story mode made me drop EO1 remake, I tried to restart with my own party but I got bored quickly because of the areas I'd been in already.

Try EO2U, Holla Forums hates it but I'm having much more fun with it than EOU. Plus the Story Mode doesn't unlock any additional classes so you can get the full experience as soon as you start. Grimoires are also much more intuitive now and they can be disposed of and recycled for re-rolled Grimoires of higher rank.

I greatly prefer EO2's art direction and class variety over EO's. The Untold versions were faithful enough that I still hold my preference for EO2U. If you have CFW, definitely get EO2U and the DLC and play it.

oh god my dick I was just image searching for Etrian Odyssey things and the EO5 portraits are so fuckable

CUSTOM W A I F U S

I used that female Warlock but with blue hair when I was playing through the Japanese demo, she's pretty much the best looking one out of the four.

Good EOU2 is even worse.
It balances the game around story mode entirely.
The HP bloat by stratum 4 just becomes silly because of how much your OC DONUT STEEL MC does.

And that's exactly why the people that tell you to start with story mode to unlock the things the assholes locked behind it are full of shit. If you replay an EO game you're just retreading old ground. It's a completely different experience from playing it for the first time.

This, this is driving me crazy because I know that's what'll happen if I play through the Story Mode, even if I just do it on Easy to rush through for unlocking Highlander and Gunner as reclass options and to fill out the parts of the bestiary et al. that aren't available in the real game. At the same time, I kind of want those two classes since for 2 I plan to play the original instead of the Shin version, and they'd be the only classes in Shin 1 that aren't in the original 2. Blah.

If you think the characters you can play as are hot, pic related is the barkeep.

Just don't play it in English? It's up on FreeShop now I believe.

He probably wants to…you know, read it.
He most likely doesn't know moon

Ah yeah, the sooner one gets on learning how to do that, the better off one'll be for sure.

That must be that one resident retard we have who instantly assumes everyone here knows nip intuitively.

While I have a rudimentary understanding, my ability is just too shit. I don't want to struggle through the game taking 999999999 years for every little thing, and risk ruining the experience for myself.

yeah you know you can tell it's that guy because he refers to them by their JP names.

It's getting closer to a necessary skill for people who like video games all the time, and I'm reasonably certain that the majority of the population of Holla Forums that isn't just shitposters are at some stage of learning.

Don't know what other guy you're referring to, but for me I didn't even know these games HAD foreign versions until people started using that "EO"acronym in this thread.

EO5 definitely has some of my favorite portraits for both males and females.

I don't even know what the fuck is going on with the necromancers, but it looks cool. It's like the Zodiacs in EO3, just random magical shit.

Playing EO4, help me decide how to drop my Landsknecht

Landsknecht/Runemaster Dancer/Nightseeker Nightseeker/Bushi
Sniper/Bushi Nightseeker/Arcanist

the L/R is all links after setting up Vanguard and Improved Link - the D/N, N/B, and S/B can all get 4 links each with normal attacks, Swift Edge, and Squall Volley respectively.

My problem is the two turn setup. The N/B can kill anything ailmented really, and my LUC specialized N/A is usually landing ailments on Turn 1 or 2, leaving the monster to die on Turn 3 from the N/B before my L/R gets to do anything.

I'm thinking a 3rd Nightseeker or a 2nd Sniper to specialize in binds, maybe an Arcanist. I'd rather grab more damage.