When did you give up on traditional television? For me it was this bullshit...

When did you give up on traditional television? For me it was this bullshit. Now at this point all these channels were already long past the point of being educational and interesting but I watched Deadliest Catch sometimes and the animal control shows on Animal Planet were neat. But one day i came home and for some reason every channel was playing this shit. This absolute nonsense about mermaids. I couldn't comprehend what was happening on my TV. These channels that i used to love and sorta trusted were showing me a documentary about some CG mermaids as if it was 100% legit. It felt like when somebody says something incorrect but they say it so confidently that you end up questioning your own sanity. It would be one thing if they did it like Ancient Aliens and just talked about it with some dramatizations but this was touted as something that was really happening. They acted like they had real evidence of aquatic apes and made a big event out of it. I actually kind of enjoy garbage television and miss that background noise. But this wasn't just garbage. It was garbage on a whole new aggressive level. A giant 'fuck you' to everyone who was lucky enough to witness this thing which they immediately apologized for then acted as if it never happened

They did something like that with dragons back in 2004, that mermaid design is just cancer though.

A family member (not by blood, thank god) informed me that scientists had discovered that mermaids were real. I backtracked and found OP's documentary. In fairness it's not less plausible than the holohoax, I suppose.

I started torrenting 2005-ish and it was wonderful having all my usual shows without commercials. I won't go near regular "over-the-air" TV any more.

You watch an hour-long episode of whatever, there's a solid twenty minutes of commercials. Essentially, two minutes of programming costs you one minute of commercials. You watch an hour long show, you come away from it wanting a pickled-pig-rectum-and-sawdust combo meal from wherever and washing it down with a two liter of diabetes, wanting to buy a new car, feeling like you should talk to your doctor about the benefits of Wonder Drug X, and ffs there's so many douche commercials. Do women actually do that? Take leisurely strolls down the beach and talk to their mothers about flushing their gashes out? So all that, plus whatever left-wing/commie lunacy and degeneracy the show you're watching is inevitably going to push.

I dont know but I do recommend nifty household appliances to my family monthly.

When they replaced every series on Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, and History Channel with Reality TV and other assorted bullshit. Animal Planet became all about Bigfoot and abused pit bulls. The last good show on it was River Monsters. Discovery Channel got turned into a Reality TV network and History Channel now promotes even more Jewish lies than it did before. At least before this you could call the History Channel somewhat educational. Now it's all just the 'History of Anal Sex' and 'Alien Conspiracy Theorists', being framed in such a way that you are supposed to scratch your head and then laugh at the idiots they put on screen.

This except I was a little later to the torrenting party (around 2008ish since I didn't even have dial-up at home until like 2007).

I kind of had this in the background one day. Wasn't the whole point of the program just shilling to raise awareness and about oil drilling in that part of the sea they were allegedly at, or some kind of environmental issue? I remember they plugged some shit at the end.

I remember that. But that wasn't really played the same way. It was very obviously a 'what if' scenario and wasn't a total stunt

Yeah it was either that or just global warming in general. I remember them acting like intelligent aquatic apes would be severely effected by pollution for some reason and that's why we never see them. The whole thing is so stupid and contrived it's like they wrote the whole thing in a day.

I grew out of it when I started puberty. I also gave up on other childish things such as christianity, cartoons ("animes"), fiction books like Harry Potter, TV series like Star Wars, believing in Santa Claus etc.

I want to see Polaroids of you when you got your first fedora.

my sides

When The Learning Channel became the modern-day carnival freaks sideshow. You kniw those producers flatter their subjects and pretend it's legitimate entertainment but deep down it's all freaks, all the time.

He kinda looks like Wojak.

When Discovery became infested with the same fucking reality TV trash like Deadliest Catch that brought TLC to ruin, and then the same shit happened to the National Geographic channels.

I was always hoping they might eventually show more on the History channel than 24/7 programs about Hitler's Hidden Nazi Gold. That hope was misplaced.

Every. Time.

Remember that time they made up a bunch of creatures that evolved in an imaginary future?

I remember an episode about some probe that goes to an alien planet in 2080 and they had some ayys

smh tbh ;_;

Yeah, what said. We want your fedora Polaroids.

What went wrong?

In retrospect, it was probably syndicating Survivorman that did them in. Shame too, that was a genuinely good show.

I gave up on television fucking years ago, probably around 2011. The was a noticeable decline in quality after the late 2000's.
I've heard it's gotten better but I never bothered to check.

Looks like Voldemort

Nah it hasn't gotten better. Stick to film

The only survivor show worth watching for me was this guy loved his stuff.