Riddle me this

Riddle me this

So we all know the shitty bubble of open world survival games with crafting, mining, looting, and building, but as big as this genre is, how come none of the games in it are good?

Some have good aspects, ARK looks pretty damn good and Rust has decent looting, but they fall apart so hard in other areas like optimization, building complexity, resource gathering, and lack of content.

Minecraft came out forever ago and it still is complete shit too. Dying Light got the open world, graphics, crafting, and movement aspects well but theres no building or real survival.

Why can't there just be one good game in this genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=where to buy ducks
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe they're made by the wrong people, or maybe in the wrong time and should have taken more development into it.

Fair enough I should have been more specific.

I meant 3D ones in this genre. Terraria is great but if it was 3D it would be GOAT. Still love me some Terraria though.

Yeah, it's hard to think of a 3D survival game that isn't outright shit or went to shit later because of dumb decisions. I don't know how okay minetest is.

I'm assuming it's Minecraft with even less content somehow.

Minecraft totally dropped all it's potential

Rust hasn't added anything worthwhile in months and it's been in EA for years

Ark just adds more dinos when the island is already so oversaturated with dinos you can't walk 10 feet from your spawn before getting mauled

Dayz is Dayz

Unturned is unturned

Eden Star actually so far is REALLY fucking good but it's still in really early access but the next update is bringing loads of cool new stuff to the game. Plus you have a hand tractor beam thing that can turn into a minigun so you can throw aliens into the air and rip them apart with your arm cannon.

But it still is really early and doesn't have a lot to it currently.

Autism, my shower-shitting anime girl. Autism. No genre catches 12 year old kiddy autism quite like survival crafting, especially when it has an element of pvp in it.

They have infinite attention spans for these kinds of games and access to mommy's credit card then tell all of their friends in school and viral it everywhere.

So it's just babys first game to develop because it's guaranteed income?

That's a fukkin shame because I like a lot of these games, and I want them to expand and improve, but they never seem to do that. Rust recently swapped out it's looting for recipes, which was a great equalizer between players, for an XP based progression system which inevitably leads to high level shitters just C4'ing all the new players settlements. It used to be that even low level players could still fuck you over if they found a C4 blueprint and you didn't, but now higher level just makes you invincible.

Ark ditched it's survival gameplay and started focusing on esports for some fucking reason when they should be fixing optimization, dino density, building, and resource gathering.

Minecraft just adds new cosmetic blocks every 6 months and nothing else.

Eden Star is really my last hope for this genre.

Well, like others have said, the only one that's particularly good is Terraria, and that has the benefit of only worrying about two dimensions and it's been continually updated over years and years into the state it is today. Release Terraria was pretty shitty, to be honest, but it really grew into its own.

But the thing with these kinds of games is that you're going to have two main types of players. This doesn't mean that one player can't act like the other kind, but we all fall into one more than the other.

>autistic, passive buildfag who only goes out to collect shit to fuel their LEGO creations or computer machines or what the fuck ever (me)

If you tip the balance more one way than the other, things feel off. Starbound, for example, makes settling down and building on a planet almost entirely pointless. In No Man's Sky, you can't even really BUILD anything. On the other hand, we've got Minecraft, where you feel like you've wasted your time when you go out looking for shit to see.

It's a delicate balance that takes a lot of time, effort, and input.
I didn't mean to post this much

Is Subnautica good at all? I've seen it mentioned here and there on this site.

I had a ton of fun with
and if it counts,

Never played it.

But the building in Terraria is really extensive, as is exploration because shit actually SPAWNS and contains stuff. NMS doesn't have building and it doesn't have shit to find. Minecraft has simple building and exploration where stuff spawns but there's no reason for it to be there because they never contain anything worth searching for.

Once you have a snap-to building system just crank out different parts. Rust's building system works really well it's just that you only have the option of square foundations, or triangle foundations and then walls. That's it. You can't really do much with it, and there's only 4 types of house materials. They could easily add another tier above armored or at least crank out more building pieces.

On the other hand, for exploration just model a bunch of ruined or abandoned buildings, make random loot randomly spawn inside it, and done. Even Rust fails this because what you find by looting is useless shit like canned food or clothes. It's even worse now with the XP progression system because you level up so quickly you learn how to make guns and ammo in a few hours.

>>>/4am/

I'll never understand why you faggots like Terraria so much.

I swear that thing bored me even more than Minecraft.

That's exactly it.
I mean, I can make couches, lamps, bathtubs, sinks, I can simulate roughly any kind of building design within a 2D space from a space ship to a comfy snow cabin to a giant pirate boat shored up on the ocean. And getting to the point where you're able to do all of that takes time. And it takes even longer to get to the point where you can do it fast, or make something that looks good. You've gotta learn how to take down the bosses and play the game in order to get to that level.

I dunno, I feel like Terraria had a great blend of progression with its building and exploration. Personally, I would go mining and exploring for 10-15 hours, gather up tons of resources, maybe take down a boss, and then I would focus on expanding my base for another 20 hours or so. I got a good 200 hours out of one world that way, it was great watching my little shit shack turn into a proper complex.

The early game is admittedly awful. Once you get some movement upgrades and a solid pickaxe, it picks up.

The genre concept itself is flawed. It's not fun to wander aimlessly and farm materials to build useless shit. Survival is a bare minimal challenge resolved within the first hour or less of play time. There's a reason games of this type are immediately disregarded by people with taste.

Rust seems neat but I don't want to support the devs with their "you can't choose your sex/race, just like in real life #BlackLivesMatter" shit

Had a look at that game. Seems like they could be working up to some pretty slick combat but at the moment is content barren. Might have been better as a shooter than a survival crafting game considering they're putting such a big focus on enemies and guns rather than things to build.

Non-autist detected.

I usually build a confy house, go adventuring, once I raid a few ruins and get some treasure and ores, go home and sort everything and build some more, and repeat. If I get bored building I go adventure.

Minecraft doesn't have that because theres nothing to find. And it's really fucking pathetic Minecraft has been out for several years more than terraria and maybe has 10% of the content. I feel like these survival game devs release an alpha, cash in, and disappear or update it once a year with stamped out retextures of shit.

See Cubeworld, Minecraft.

I see your point. In the end building a huge cool base is ultimately useless unless it helps prevent raiding like in Rust. I built a huge fortress of steel to protect us against C4 raiders and it was fun looking it over from a raiders perspective looking for weak points.

Right now there isn't a whole lot of content honestly, you can build a simple base and get some cool augments and weapons, all of which work and look great, but theres no bosses or goal really other than just build more turrets to massacre enemies at night.

The next update is adding a new map 4x the size of the current one, abandoned buildings, more building parts, loads of new stuff. Check the most recent update news, it's really impressive how much they're adding. Also it's just endlessly fun to pick up helpless aliens with your tractor beam and throw them off cliffs and watch them fall and snap their necks on spiky rocks.

Becuase no one has the balls to break minecraft's shitty formula.

Devs fear that stepping away too far from it will just put people off. Same reason for FPS being in the shittier after COD4. It doesn't help that 80% of these games are just straight minecraft clones as well.

What are you saying, that indie devs are lazy faggots with no genuine drive to create something good?

Shocker

Just because you haven't played any good games in the genre doesn't mean there aren't any. As usual OP is a massive faggot.

Please. I own it, it's complete garbage. It looks like it's ripped off the PS2 and is slow as fuck and still has the problem of lots to explore but nothing to find.

Empyrion I also own and suffers from the same issues, except looks better than 7DTD.

That's exactly the problem I see, the devs are too busy focusing on the enemy fighting part of the survival aspect that they've forgotten about everything else.

I like 7 Days to Die.

What, did you play alpha 1 or some shit?

Waste of quads. An extra dimension usually ruin games.

Played a few months ago

If it retained its quality it would be great

Minecraft has mods so you can make it however you want, or mod/create it if it doesn't exist.

Because it's too many things. Open world AND survival AND crafting AND exploration AND resource collection AND building AND combat.

You can only take a few of those at most and make a good game with it. Take too many of them and you end up with the Spore effect, which is gameplay that is very wide but also shallow. The other possibility is Minecraft, where the base game doesn't know what the fuck to do with itself, while THOUSANDS of mods are trying to pull it into a thousand different directions.

false

Some examples of how games can be good with three of these elements:

Banished - Survival, resource collection, building
Factorio - Crafting, resource collection, combat
The Long Dark - Open world, survival, sorta combat and sorta exploration
Kerbal Space Program - Open world, crafting-ish, exploration
[Insert Your Favorite RTS Here] - Resource collection, building, combat

Now for a more direct comparison:
Early Fallout Games - Open world, survival, exploration, combat
Fallout New Vegas - Open world, survival, some crafting, exploration, combat
Fallout 4 - Open world, survival, crafting, exploration, resource collection, building, combat

See how the experiences get more and more "wide and shallow" the more shit they cram into the game? That's what I mean.

It's more like building.
Also what the fuck are you on about with banished being about survival? It's a city builder management sim.

Ark is fun but it's designed to be a co-op game, you can play solo but the difficulty ramps up as you move to higher resource areas such that you're supposed to play with others

Consequently, if you're playing with randoms on an Official server, it can be pretty bad but if you're playing with friends, it's good

Yes but this is a game where it's VERY rewarding to play with friends

I think you mean mandatory.

My criteria for "survival" is that the main threat is environmental, like weather or random wild animals. You can't FIGHT it, like you can with enemies in a game focused on combat, you can only MITIGATE it.

I think he's being a little loose with the "Survival" term, and is meaning that in Banished you have a distinct failure state that revolves around managing multiple resources, buildings, and population (as opposed to just managing Debt in sim city).

I don't know how to concisely describe what I'm getting at, just I guess if you want a really fun (as opposed to "pretty fun") co-op game then you want Ark

The first big problem with ARK public servers is that public servers don't have building decay, so every single server map is littered with old abandoned fortresses that are extremely time and resource consuming to remove normally, and take up all the good settling points so you can't build anywhere without being surrounded by abandoned buildings you can't get into.

The other is the public servers have dino spawn rate and density so high that you spawn and get mauled before you can even find a spot to start your camp. Last time I played I had to respawn maybe 10 times before I was able to get to a somewhat clean area without being raped by level 100 monsters.

Also it's unoptimized to shit.

I have rust, and Rust is by far the best optimized of the early access survival genre.
Building is pretty damn complex in rust and some people have built crazy shit.

what's to change?

survival:
solo,
extra health bars
?permadeath
action, combat
adventure,harsh environment, random gen,

resource scarcity, space/expiry management, crafting, non-renewable resources
technology ladder, [tools, weapons, armour]
no win state, only lose state

gud post

Rust is missing features that were in the previous version that made it popular in the first place. Some of the landmarks (industrial areas, tunnels, etc) are still untextured placeholders. It's fairly bad and I always wonder why people aren't as vocal about it as they are about Dayz.

financial scope.

also I want to fuck araki

Minetest

its free as in freedom, the only problem you'll run into is finding the right bundle of mods that liven up the experience

Because just like that empty image you posted, such empty activities would naturally have nothing good.

Damn

all these newfags tonight

It's pretty good, but lacks content. You can finish 80-90% of the game in about a week.

The base building is decent and a necessity, it's not purely autism-fueled decoration. It's not freeform building like in minecraft, but it still gives you enough freedom. It will get even better since the devs want to implement creatures that attack your base. Also, multiple bases can help a lot since the map is big and easy to get lost in, but you need extensive preparation before building a base, so it's not like minecraft where you can just take some blocks and it's fucking done.

Crafting is tedious, slow and badly implemented. You can only craft one item at a time (except metal salvage->titaniumx4) and when you start making an item you have to sit still and watch the long ass building animation from start to finish. The devs won't fix this.
But the items and the recipes make sense, aren't abusive and force you to explore the world, which is a plus.

There's no multiplayer, but there are plans to add it in the game.

The combat is the worst part of the game, it goes from running away for the most part in the early to mid game, to passive-agressive guns that push the enemy away or freeze it in place, to invulnerability to finally actual combat where you're overpowered and it's not satisfying.

The game has two very strong features, the first is the world map: it's not random, it's crafted by hand and it's huge. The devs spend most of their time making more areas. The second is the fear factor. The game uses a lot of visual tricks to reduce your capacity to see (murky waters, deep sea areas, etc), which is a technique used in a lot of old horror games that tickle your fear of the unknown just right. Also, deep sea is scary as fuck. This is where the early parts of the game shine, you have no way of defending yourself and you don't know which areas you need to explore to advance, so you might get fucked pretty badly by horrible sea creatures.

So currently: it's pretty good, but needs a lot fixing and more content. Fucking pirate it.

Also it's poorly optimized because Unity.

There needs to be one where progress isn't tied to a bunch of repetitious chores. Sure, maybe have it for people who want to fuck about with that on the side but not as the primary focus.

I've seen this frequently enough that either this is some ebin bait or some motherfuckers are actually new.

can't fucking tell

it has lots of content and frequent, rewarding goals to strive for.

The fuck are you on, faggot, miegakure isn't even out yet

where did he get duck

lmgtfy.com/?q=where to buy ducks

on an unrelated note is dying light any good?
i've been thinking of getting it.

Honestly, I think Minecraft was a fluke. It was never meant to be a full game; it started off as a practice project that gained a surprising amount of popularity and thus had a game put in it.

I don't think open-world survival with crafting is that great a formula. There's really no end goal; it's just looking around for shit to build, sometimes with the most bare-bones of stories attached (oh, it's just like all the others but in this one you're a shipwrecked interstellar explorer on an ocean planet!)

That's not to say that a good open-world survival game couldn't be made (Terraria is worth mentioning again) but it's seriously going to be one in a thousand. We've had games like this before where by all rights they shouldn't have worked but somehow they did. Honestly if I was going to do it I would basically make like a Jurassic Park game where you craft shit to survive or fight off dinosaurs, but you have an end goal in mind, like getting to the beach to signal a rescue team. Basically nothing like Minecraft.

But yeah Minecraft became popular and unsurprisingly a bunch of people leaped out of the woodwork to capitalize on the formula. Same thing happened with Surgeon Simulator, Doom, Wizardry, Pong… it's just how the industry ticks. In five years we'll have another hot fad to emulate that will become the de facto indie developer project. I look forward to that day.

Multiplayer has been canned. You also can walk away from the crafting thing, but the time it takes to actually make something isn't sufficient to do anything else so you might as well stay and watch.

So… exactly the same as Minecraft in singleplayer?

Newfag detected
Notch used to lurk Holla Forums and shill the shit out of MC. It was meant from the beginning to be a survival game but evolved into a sandbox game. Notch then became lazy, quit, and left us with an unfinished piece of shit that managed to hit success with the crippled autism demographic

Now all Notch has from the early days is the "Woo, Holla Forums!" Bumper that's still on the Minecraft opening screen

Stop fucking taking the bait you cancerous faggots fucking hell.

The correct solution is to make it competitive and multiplayer. Survival is suddenly a lot harder when there can only be one.

This gave rise to the battle royale genre, which is much more interesting. The Culling, ARK, ect.

that sounds shockingly similar to how yansim is developing, even down to the autistic fanbase

Terraria is good, but that's because there is actually a game intertwined with all that exploration/crafting stuff.

Fuck off gook.

What the fuck are you talking about? In Alpha there was literally nothing you could do except break and create blocks. There was no "survival" because you literally could not die.