Hello Anons; I need a little bit of help. I am working on a game...

Hello Anons; I need a little bit of help. I am working on a game, but I am having trouble coming up with a rocket launcher. I was wondering if we could have a thread discussing the best rocket launchers in video games, preferable one with double functions akin to the Unreal Rocket Launcher.

TD;LR Best Video Game Rocket/Missile Launcher Thread

>>>/k/

Single Bump!

Prey had one that that shot out the tiny creatures that you could use as grenades and could also shoot out this mucus wall that would stop projectiles but not people.
That was pretty great as a offensive/defensive combo.

make a drill launcher that doesn't explode on contact and drills its self into whatever it hit till the player shoots it, the other function could be the drill missile opens up and then fires its rocket pod out of the sides

there done

I watched a friend play prey a few years ago, and I don't even remember that gun at all. I didn't even remember prey have an Alt Fire System

Depends on the game user. A bit of context would net better suggestions

First to Third Person shooter?

Unless you mine, which is a first person shooter. I post it in agdg every now and then. I just been stuck with trying to make a rocket launcher that isnt simply "not homing and homing".

what.
I hope that's just you having a shitty memory because if you went through prey without knowing about each weapon's altfire then you might be retarded.

Sure the rocket launcher alt fire might not have been super great but for others it was pretty damn mandatory.
How about the one gun where you had to use the altfire to recharge it off wall sockets and it's projectile type was dependent on what type of wall socket you siphoned off of?
You know the gun that reminded you about it every time you stood near one of the sockets you could leach off of?

I actually don't remember any of the game at all, which is why we plan on revisiting it soon.

I enjoyed it too, I just don't remember any of it

Halo doesn't have a fantastic rocket launcher, but I made this webm two decades ago, so fuck it.

I figured as much. I'm asking what is it that makes your game unique in a sense. I doubt you're just making a Quake clone

Maybe go with a some kind of laser canon instead?

Or have a normal rocket launcher with an alt fire that causes the missile to go straight down. That way you can shoot it over walls and barriers to hit the enemies.

I don't know, it's kind of hard to give ideas when don't know the style of shooter you're making.

Rockets don't have homing, they're dumbfire. If you make homing rockets you're doing it wrong.

Halo's rockets felt satisfactory because they were rare, fast instant mini nukes of fuck you. Other games implement rocket launchers as rifles with slow movement and small area of effect on impact: they deal damage above average, but unless you know how to aim for the head, you will have to take advantage of the rocket launcher's high cadence (look at OpenArena, Quake fork. The rocket launcher is exactly that).

In Halo, taking the RL was already an achievement. Then you simply aimed for an enemy vehicle and watched how it simply exploded. Halo's rocket launcher were two guaranteed kills in case you weren't a total retard, and that's what makes that rocket launcher special.

UT99's RL is good, which they never brought back. Being able to launch unpropelled rockets that bounce off the walls, also good for firing at an arc where you have no line of sight. Being able to load up 7 rockets at a time was pretty awesome too, slightly disappointed that they reduced that in sequels.

I have yet to find a game that does missile launchers better than pic related.

I always found pic related to be pretty satisfying in crysis

sadly the game cheapened it in the later levels because vehicles started appearing absolutely everywhere and so did the launchers

This is literally the most important thing. It needs to feel like an event.

Chemical rockets: converts the flesh of the target into acid, their gibs can hurt nearby enemies?

Explosions that would make the floor shake, making nearby enemies stunned/fall?

Or more like a grenade launcher? The rocket knocks enemies out/push them away on contact, then falls on the floor and explode shortly after?

Not really a rocket launcher, but I liked the Devastator from Duke3D

Give it the ability to toggle homing and payload, to make rocket jumping safer.

While it didn't have any alternate firing modes, Blitz Rocket Launcher(pictured in it's A-tier version) from Exteel was my absolute favorite as far as visuals go.

Instead of relying on homing, try creating something like a "timed" rocket launcher. The missiles detonate after a set time (that the player can alter in-game) instead of on impact. That way, you could have them detonate in mid-air, you could have them hit a surface and deflect off of it, or even hit someone and have it kill them but keep going to the main target?

Fuck off gook.

What your looking for is a launcher with a faster rate of fire, relatively little splash damage, and a travel velocity that makes it most effective in mid/short-range combat.

It should be a generally accurate weapon; however, it's rate of fire (being slower than all non-snipers) will minimize the players margin for error, balancing the extreme damage of a direct hit.

Would anyone like to explain why this exact post has been endlessly posted in unrelated threads for months now?

Because someone is a retarded shill.

Best to ignore them.

just make a grenade launcher that throws out M80s with the fuse lit.

no wait, just make an entire FPS game where all the weapons are fireworks. it would be goofy and silly and fun, especially if you made it super colorful and cartoony.

should be

For some reason I really love the rocket launcher from Quake 2. No alt fire, just something about it is really satisfying to me.

it makes a cool loading noise between shots