Does anyone else get scared when playing old shooters like this? i dont even know why

does anyone else get scared when playing old shooters like this? i dont even know why

better than getting bored with every new shooter

the hand graphics are wayy too real.

It's the lighting usually. Great game and expansion btw.

Modern shooters are designed to make the player feel like a badass. No matter how bad you fuck up, you can always expect at least a hint to pop-up.
Old shooters are uncaring and unforgiving.

shadow warrior is the worst of the classic shooters. No idea why anyone pretends to give a shit about it considering how bad it is compared to its contemporaries.

Everything you throw at it can be thrown against Duke as well.

Well the old school ones still make you feel like a badass. Only you actually become the badass by trying, modern ones just say you're the badass and hope you don't stop in front of an enemy to find out they literally do not fight back.

You're just mad because you got your ass reamed. It's ok, we can't all be good at video games.

You're a massive faggot OP.

Of course I do. I run around at 10 health because I did something stupid and I can't remember if I saw a medpack back there or not. The only winning move is to push forward which can mean I lose like 10 minutes of progress of nail biting hardass action that I have to repeat.

In modern games its just likeā€¦ eh.

You're afraid of anime qts I guess. And Putin.

They don't make me scared but they get pretty intense and for a moment I can forget about everything else. With modern shooters it's like playing an interactive screensaver that at times pats you on the back and tells you how good you are for following the scripted sequences.

I get scared shitless when I fall out of the map in some certain games. If it's the fucking infinite grey abyss while the map shrinks above you, it's just terrifying for some reason.

nah, its the weakest of the Build engine "trinity"(DN3D, Blood, SW) but its still a good game

The lack of shields and regenerating health evokes a visceral response since a couple mistakes are all it takes to end you and you never know when you'll get some health.

You only played the cream of the crop, didn't you?

No, I just get motion sickness.

Welp, old shooters are merciless nonstop romps through bad guy infested areas, and the only pause to the action is the "level complete" screen. You are in control the whole time, there are no cutscenes or talking heads, just action and the anticipation of action. It kind of gives you combat fatigue without making you numb, since the game will get harder as you progress. In this type of approach, level ambience is important. I'd rather have the danger sink in as I'm exploring the levels rather than some jerk explaining it to me. This doesn't mean that you can't have some npcs talking to you. In Half-Life 1, the gman was done right as he only talked in the end. When you see him for the first time after the accident, it really tickles your imagination. What's better, there are houndeyes ready to attack you in that same moment.

Also old shooters don't have godawful first person cutscenes. They ruin what was probably meant as a surprise by giving players time to adjust for a boss fight. Whereas in original Doom, doors swing open and barons of hell just fucking attack you without a warning. In Wolf3d, door opens and Hans Grosse just says "Guten tag!" instead of telling you his life story and then he blasts you with machine guns. It's intense.

why waste my time with shit when I can get into great things from other genres. Instead of wasting my time playing garbage like fucking blake stone I've gotten into shmups, and have found dozens of amazing games to play. I've played almost every great first person game, anything new will likely be a new release I haven't touched yet.

You lack balls of steel.

t. Dook Nook'm

Some of the enemies from Duke3D still give me the creeps, but I chalk that up to a form of nostalgia.

Although, there's something to be said about less-detailed things being scarier. The more and more "photorealistic" things become in games, the less "realistic" they actually appear, because they start approaching the Uncanny Valley. They start looking less like terrifying Lovecraftian monsters from Hell, and more like oddball mutated humans.

A clear example is to compare the feral ghouls from Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. The former look like nothing that could exist in reality; the latter look pretty much like real zombies might look. Paradoxically, this realism makes them significantly less frightening.

OKAY GET OFF VENT OR I'LL HAVE YOU BENT!

Kikes controlling the movies and then video games was a mistake.

As a kid, seeing the out of bounds on any level would break the immersion and make me shit my pants immediately. Something about it looking uncanny as fuck and how the world does "end" at a certain point. What's funny is that the crazy glitches wouldn't trigger these emotions, and would make me enjoy it even more, ironically enough. Even funnier, I thought CoD 3 and Sonic 06 were good games simply due to the next-gen meme, and any bugs I found was just because I played it "the wrong way."

Pics related, seeing the fact that the level was just surrounded by a 2D image is easily one of the most unsettling things I had seen as a little faggot. Is it just me?

I hate these 2.5D FPS graphics

Everything before Half Life and System Shock 2 is pig disgusting

lol casual can't even play thief. system shock 2 is looking glass studios worst game

I agree with this , old games are much less forgiving so if you're used to new games they can be kind of scary

though many of them have "secrets" and if you know them they're even more forgiving than new games imo

not just you
first time i went out of the bounds i was scared that everything around was just an endless dark void

That, and the enemies have reaction animations of a few frames, if any, so they react a lot faster than modern games. Also simpler AI, so usually what happens when you walk in a door is there's a a growl and a bunch of creatures rushing you. If it was a modern game, it'd be a few soldiers yelling entire sentences and diving behind cover while you get a chance to get your bearings.

I can speedrun Thief in my sleep kiddo, the game still looks like garbage tough

the words of an idiot, best disregarded. Thief has fantastic art and makes great use of lighting.

This fish literally made me stop playing this game for months. It scared the shit out of me and even when I mustered up the courage to get past it, I tried to keep the screen as far away from it as I could.

Exactly this. I never grew up understanding that there were actual bounds to a physical level. I just thought shit was roped off because there simply wasn't a way out for the character themselves. Says a lot about the games of the time, as I got older I got subjected to seeing more and more shit break before my very eyes, to the point where level outskirts just looked like complete shit. I think that CoD: Finest Hour made me realize that it video games apparently have "rules and boundaries."

thats not the original game is it? i remember there being a huge fish much bigger than that

oh god you're right

Eh, that's not so bad.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

there must have been more than one fish because i remember a different one even bigger than that

or maybe it just looked bigger to me because i was a kid

I found that facing the void in more immersive games can have a more jarring effect on my mind. In something like doom or quake I have a firm grasp on how the engines work and understand the limits of the geometry and the voids, but when it comes to something like shadow of the colossus, where there's a rather intimate relation between you and wander it feels much more terrifying in a way.

The PAL version of most NES games have slower music, so in the intro to Mega Man 2 when it transitions from the MM1 ending segment to the actual MM2 intro there's that part where the notes keep descending and it always scared the fuck out of me as a kid.
Skip to 0:49 for the part in question, it's when Mega Man shows up on screen.

Playing Banjo-Kazooie with the Moonjump code and having access to an infinite void in almost every level was really tough to handle as a kid. At least the programmers thought of it and made Banjo restart if he left the level.

Jesus those screenshots fucking petrify me.

I think it's because older 3D adventure/platformer types games tended to put you alone, and never had much shit on the screen because the console could never handle it, which means less enemies, which means scarce levels. Combine that with "large voids" consuming the level, and I think that's what makes it so uncanny.

Adding to that, I think an even better analogy would be like riding some goofy shit at disney and seeing for a brief moment that everything behind it is just cord and steel in a very large and empty warehouse.

You know, if someone tried to make a game that intentionally emulates that out-of-bounds weirdness feeling, it might be really interesting. Or maybe a horror game where the map keeps glitching and falling apart and you have to keep travelling through the fucked up landscape.
It would be an interesting experiment, if a shitty game.

There is something about the music combined with the visuals.
I can't explain it either but it sends shivers down my spine the first few minutes.

I think there's one that has an interactive datamoshing effect, I don't know the name though.

Never owned or played an N64, but from what I've seen, large amounts of shit had to be cut down on cartridges, which explains the fucktons of empty spaces in parts of some levels. Which, under certain circumstances like fields in Zelda would make sense, but in other games like the parallel universe shit in Mario is fucking insane to look at.

It wouldn't work because any person with a developed mind would still understand that they're on the right path. It's easy for kids, but with adults, they tend to understand where they should and shouldn't be, and are rarely scared when presented with something that may be broken. What would have to happen is some weird postmodern type of arthouse vidya would have to set up a game as normal, then somehow slowly remove normal atmospheric parts of levels, and just replace them with unfinished bullshit. It could work, but it would either have to be on complete accident, like a tech demo, or something perfectly orchestrated.

I hate giant fish as well

The water levels in Mario 64 I would just avoid entirely when I was younger, expect for the one time you have to beat a star in dire dire docks

it was due to the N64's limited polycount and limited size levels could be before distant textures get glitchy.

This whole QPU nonsense is basically because when the architecture for SM64 was created, it was very basic. All levels had infinite height/width/depth and the data for the ground collision automatically repeated in infinite directions, because there was no rule that said otherwise.

Meanwhile in Banjo-Kazooie, if the duo escape the level, they hit the "boundary" of the room and the game automatically restarts the level. There's one part in Rusty Bucket Bay where you can actually beak-bomb down to the outer boundary and hit it before the trigger restarts the level a half-second after.

Well Doom was supposed to be somewhat of a horror game and most early shooters were heavily based on it.

because you're a pussy.

I always get that horrible feeling near ledges in games like that. Not an old shooter but I could barely do the part in Half Life 2 where you're crossing the underside of a bridge

Are you the same kind of fag that's absolutely scared shitless by old school 3D because the polygons "shift"? which they don't. They only shift and jitter on really shitty emulation.

Then yes, you're a fucking faggot

Oh son of a bitch, here's that fucking guy. and this fucking bitch.

It's because you've had your hand held for so long by modern shooters, being thrown out into the wild west of no checkpoints, no regenerating health and no objective markers terrifies you.

Not with old shooters, but more with old third person shooters. For example last month I played through MP and I noticed a lot of details, some of which really freaked me out. The Address Unknown screaming, the hint of a baby crying when valkryie thugs are killed, Max's baby still moving it's arm while shot in the nightmare sequence, navigating through areas where you hearing nothing but ambient noises and then you start hearing Jack Lupino's yells and shouts, it's all very spooky.

back to bed kid

Memories of a Broken Dimension?

man I've had the same problem, I hate those big fishes in the water like that goddamned shark in jak & dexter, they're the reason I've always been scared in gta sa while swimming

Eternal Darkness does some of what you describe. Like "breaking" the game, making the player clip through the floor or ceiling. One of the few games that legit scared me at times.

New shooters don't make me feel anything because the 'badassness' is a thinly veiled illusion.

Old games make you feel bad ass because everything you do is of your own skill.

I know right, and the shitlords that play such a racist game are the worst among gamers.

You'll sadly almost never see these effects because of the sanity restore spells.

You don't have to use those, depends on what you want. If you pick the green thing in the beginning your sanity gets drained even more too.

I liked it better than Redneck Rampage.

Took me many attempts to muster the courage to get through that door.

Level design is better than Hexen.

How? It's a massive snoozefest, with terrible combat and some really god awful design choices. Hexen is a better fantasy dungeon crawler, and it's not even meant to be a dungeon crawler.

Slows down the whole game. It's not pulled off well as it is in later titles like Mount and Blade.
Bloated overworld with landscape that has no reason to be there, could've easily been simplified by having the very edge of towns and dungeon areas bring you to the travel map. Random loot lets you pick up some really fucking stupid shit, like ebony longswords in the first dungeon. Enemies are stiff, not just because the sprites barely move, but because they're unable to attack as fast as the player.
It pulls of the feel that Daggerfall tried to get much better than Daggerfall, and it didn't even try to be a dungeon crawler.

Morrowind was such a piece of shit i cant even imagine how bad Daggerfall is

I suppose Daggerfall's biggest obstacle is that it requires a lot of imagination to truly appreciate. It's one of my all-time favourites, personally.
And I've been wanting to give Hexen a try for a while, but I never get around to it 'cause I procrastinate with everything.

They're both great games, to be honest.

This sounds like insecurity about some other TES game overworld being absolutely tiny in comparisson. That isn't to say that the overworld in Daggerfall isn't shit. It is indeed shit, but the idea behind it isn't. What it lacked was interesting things to encounter. The size was not a problem.

Why? If you want to fast travel you can fast travel from anywhere outside, including the middle of a town. Cutting out the overworld doesn't make it better. You act as if it is costing the game something by having this overworld you don't use, and that somehow by removing that which you already don't use it will be "better". That is loony.

This has literally never happened to me and I've played quite a number of times. The quality of the gear is tied to your level. It isn't completely random. In fact the only cheap low level weapon I know of is the ebony dagger you can get out of character creation. I usually sell mine at the first town and only get it during creation so I know I can kill the imps in the tutorial dungeon if I don't get a steel weapon when I gen.

Turn the reflex setting up and they will attack a lot faster. Vampire Ancients can murder my level 13 thief in 2 seconds if they get close enough, they attack like 8 times 2 seconds when reflex is set to Very High during character gen.

Daggerfall had far more ambitious goals than Hexen, and it is your opinion that Daggerfall was trying for anything Hexen supposedly does right.

Or, rather: Old games are actually made as games, and that's triggering to those who are accustomed to the hugbox dopamine-releasers of modern videogaming.

I don't get scared. I just get startled. Of course you're going to jump a little when enemies pop up from behind you.