I was working on some design doc stuff (that I doubt will every get anywhere...

I was working on some design doc stuff (that I doubt will every get anywhere, but theory crafting can be fun) for a STALKER esqe game. I wanted to know what kind of guns you thought should be obtainable in an American town gone to hell in the near future. It would be shortly after a repeal of the NFA bar explosives (enough to make finding NFA items reasonable, but not enough they are everywhere) and the GCA's "sporting purpose" import restrictions replaced by a plain old tarrif.

Was planning to limit it to common 10 common cartridges (though most have multiple types, buck, bird, slug ect) for mechanical reasons (as anything you can't readily find ammo for is useless).

Resources permitting each would have multiple appearances with a different model and animation with only minor differences (capacity) mechanically. I'd use a container system like 7.62 or JA2 1.13 so size and weight would actually be important.

(.22 is generally weak, but ammo and weapons are extremely plentiful. Often have suppressors)

9MM

45ACP
(.45 is similiar to 9mm but has trade offs. Notably it is easily suppressed),

12 gauge

(not a lot of stuff to use it with, but a modern FPS without an AK is weird)

40 MM (explosives are rare, but still lots of cool alternative loads)

Anything else I should include?

Other urls found in this thread:

cinemablend.com/new/Dark-Tower-Producer-Has-Blunt-Message-Who-Don-t-Like-Idris-Elba-105537.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

add in fun stuff like dynamite, grenades, flamethrowers that actually throw fire at a distance, knives to throw

It's the most common one sure, but the thing has a shitton of variants. For instance one thing that isn't so rare is an AK "pistol", because regulations make no fucking sense.
Also there are AR15 pattern carbines and hunting rifles chambered in the round.

Ruger MK3
Ruger 10/22
Maybe some kind of bastard gun lookalike that comes in.22
Beretta 92F
Makarov (in 9x18 ofc)
Bizon SMG
and also i would love to see a hi point pistol (and a black trying to sell you one for too high price)
PPSh 41
Can't go wrong with Thompson
MAC-11
Luty homemade smg
lever rifle
TT Tokarev (7.62x25)
Mosin Nagant (7.62x54r)
SVD (7.62x54r)
Nagant Revolver (7.62x38r)
FN FAL (7.62x51 NATO)
OTs-14 Groza (9x39)
AK-9 (9x39)

I think you ought to add .40 S&W, there are a number of firearms chambered in it and it's quite available.

Probably should separate modern full size plastic pistols (M&P, Glock) from older wonder nines.

Meant parts (if you have the parts) can be replaced for select fire in AR15 variants.

As I mentioned specific brands of weapons would be variations within a class. For example a semi-auto .22 rifle would (resources permitting) have 10/22, SA22, CZ512, pic related ect. as appearances with little/no adjustment in stats (weight and magazine size being the most common to change as they need to actually be shown to the player).

I forgot about cheap modern metal SMGs (uzi, mac). Thompson should be in (any congress willing to repeal the NFA is going to want to sell all the old crap out of National Guard armories now that civilians can own them, and original Thompsons would go pretty fast), though it would largely be a novelty (thing weighed more than an RPK!). Good point on the lever rifle for 357 and Tacticool .22s.

I limited the number of cartridges for a reason. 7.62x38r is exceptionally rare (You could get a second Nagant revolver for less than the cost of shooting a Nagant revolver) and only used in a single gun. You either make the Nagant revolver absurdly powerful contrary to all laws of physics, or it's useless. 7.62x54r was considered, but it only had 5 guns (not classes of guns, guns) and 2 of them (machine guns) were unlikely to see much use and SVDs come in .308. This left SVT and Nagant.

I wasn't too explicit on it, but ARs and AKs would have a bunch of variants, "pistol" being one of them.

Bolt action rifles in 5.56 were included.

Muzzleloaders, flintlock or precision cap up to you.
Some of these designs get pretty advanced such as wheelocks and breach loaders, but the fact that you can cast your own bullets and cook your own gunpowder would make these favorable in post NFA times.

Pretty sure you can already do that. Pre-metalic cartridges guns are pretty much entirely unregulated.

fuck that. set it a few centuries into the future, where everybody has to use homemade bolt actions. every man builds their own as a coming of age thing. different regions/tribes have their own designs with unique quirks. a few examples of "modern" guns still exist and are highly prized, and often considered the stuff of fairytales.
I want to rule the world with a 300 year old M4.

This was intended as at most two decades into the future

I wish this was more of a thing in Fallout.

no fuck you, this is my game now

Make the game pic related

Maybe you could treat 7.62 NATO as a variation on the .308 you already plan to include, since they're so similar? That way you could include something like the FAL without needing a wholly different ammo type.
Or just shoot normal .308 out of a 7.62 NATO rifle. Do you have a weapon degradation and maintenance system planned, or malfunctions?

Already intended to do so.

Malfunctions yes, as it gives another facet of your character's firearm and mechanical skills, as well as adding a disadvantage for particularly cheap guns/home modification/"hi capacity" magazines without non-sense.

Maitence no (beyond a character with low firearms and mechanical skills suffering more malfunctions). I've never encountered a non-roguelike where such a system is anything more than a waste of time with weapons that degrade incredibly and unreasonably quickly.

So long as you're willing to make the PC a magic negro, I think you should drop a line to Stephen King.

Hold on to your jimmies.
cinemablend.com/new/Dark-Tower-Producer-Has-Blunt-Message-Who-Don-t-Like-Idris-Elba-105537.html

I knew

I wew'd

rate