Ok Holla Forums lets get real here for a moment. how do we best preserve video games of the past?

ok Holla Forums lets get real here for a moment. how do we best preserve video games of the past?

1) Careful care of the original tech.
2) Emulation Emulation Emulation
3) Reproduction of the old tech.

DANK
A
N
K

MEMES
E
M
E
S

How hard is it to just take care of your old shit?

also, Holla Forums I present a modern day challenge…
how do we preserve those games that required online connectivity?

Components fail with use. Components go out of style or "print". Even with enough time something unused can eventually fail (electrolytic capacitors eventually dry out).

Personally, I lean towards the reproduction, ultimately, of hardware (as a function of the last great goal of emulation) but I do often wonder about the services that games and hardware needed to support.

the pictured TV Tuner of the Game Gear is no longer viable because, at least in the U.S., there are no more signals for it to tune in to.

Very. Realistically, your favorite PS1 era and before game discs will have degraded beyond use before you're ready to hand them down to your kids, assuming you were to have any that is. Things age even in the best of conditions.

Technically TV is still broadcast over VHF/UHF airwaves that can be received for free. But they are no longer in a raw analog format, they are in a digital format, you'd need a wireless tuner or RF modulator to receive modern signals and re-convert them locally to receive them

Disc rot is a thing, but you'd need to be in very unfavorable conditions before they even begin rotting. I have a collection of many 100+ year old Shellac records that still play fine even after years of needle wearing. If you don't know what shellac is, its a type of plastic they used for records before vinyl, and its very brittle

I've got my Saturn and PS1 games wrapped and boxed in a dry environment. How long would they last?

Not long since the mole people come out of the sewer when it rains and cum on them

Blank cds rot pretty easily, back in the day of ps1 piracy allot of my burnt discs would deteriorate after a few years. I cant say I looked after them that well though.

also
I thought that only happened to cheap capacitors made sometime in the early 2000s from some Chinese company?

Dont tell me that, some of them are in my room

it happens to all.

Electronic components in nearly all mass manufacturing situations are done at the lowest bidder.
ESPECIALLY consumer electronics.

We should create a single dedicated system that can play every single video game ever made. Don't trust emus, they beat up the aussies you know.

That's a little bit different that a CD or similar type of magnetic bullshitto process of storing data. You can hold some of your particularly old or cheaply made disc games up to a light and actually see tiny pinprick holes straight through it.

Document original tech schematics and bios to be able to remanufacture.
Duh.

Yes that's called a computer with emulators on it you ninny

(checked ID :^))

Absolute Madman.

We let the Emus win, I swear.
We had no casualties, we only let them win to save on bullet costs.

AFAIK early CDs are more susceptible to rot but most CDs and DVDs made after 2005 are made with higher-quality polymers

The answer is to either pay a premium for components or buy a rugged MIL-STD 810 compliant computer

One thing I would like to push is that as time marched on the components that are required to make something like the NES or SNES or maybe even up to a PS1 can fit on a single chip.

However, we should consider something here.
Is it better to simply reduce these systems to simple processes on a single chip (or emulated on a larger machine) or is there value in preserving the components (or very like components) to reproduce the hardware faithfully?

We have 3D printers, schematics, and tons of outlets for tons of cheap components, especially all these super old ones (or equivalents) right now…

So what is the better pursuit?

That's true as far as I'm aware as well but let's face it, the average pre-2005 vidya disc is far more rare and valuable than the average post-2005 disc, especially when you consider that a vast chunk of post-2005 discs just contain an out of date installer for a game followed by a one time use Steam/XBL/PSN/etc. code you have to redeem online which kills both the resale value and the actual ability to play it. It's the ones that aren't going to survive that will ultimately end up being collectable.

Also, online connectivity can just be emulated as well

That's what emulators like Dolphin do, and even the Xbox 360 emulator Xenia that's starting to show a lot of promise is planning on Xbox Live emulation

I think the original hardware should be preserved for historical reasons. But I don't think we should waste time faithfully reproducing the original hardware, all it does is reduce the value of the original hardware itself and it technically was made with inferior component manufacturing techniques. There's just no point

How is that a problem unless you're trying to make money selling old consoles on eBay?

Care of original tech as long as possible till it's too expensive, accurate reproductions.

My NES and SNES still runs to this very day.

Meanwhile how many times have we all had to deal with shit like the red ring of death in the modern era of cheap chink manufacturing? Neither PS2 onwards nor xcocks lasts beyond a few years, sometimes not even a few months.

Well I'd say that you do all 3 though Emulation is by far the most efficient

emulation will eventually take over, but it's not a good solution for a long time. We need accurate emulation and hacky emulation seen in ps2 and n64 scenes does a lot of damage to preservation. It's cheap entertainment for pirates but at the end of the day it absolutely perverts the perception of the game.

Matthewmatosis brought up something important in his Devil May Cry video. The HD remakes are missing certain effects, elements and have some additions not present in the original game, in some cases to bring it up to modern standards but the game itself was not designed around these standards, but old ones instead. In the future when the game inevitably gets another HD(4k?) port it may lose even more effects in emulation. Who is to say it won't further alter the game play in subtle ways? 3 generations into the future, what if more and more information is lost in the preservation of the game? It is hard to call it the same game it originally was in 2001. It's been distorted, perverted, and reinterpreted many many times. This is disastrous for the preservation of the game. It's why accuracy is so incredibly important, and why I'll prefer original hardware so much of the time.

That's half the point. We have more working and moving portions in today's consoles and a planned obsolescence that we have to deal with.

And the reality that the older systems, although pretty much all solid state systems, are all going to go through some degredation.

I've had to deal with an atari system's controllers in the recent years having to fiddle with their leaf switches and such.
Can these consoles sail through the ocean tides?
Can they handle the season of console lives?

Well i've been afraid of changing because i've build my life around vidya.
Time makes you older even newfags get older
I'm getting older too.

>>>/eternalarchive/
no really, they have all the tips and sources you need to save your shit.

Legacy servers. If the devs/publishers dont allow legacy servers then the game probably isnt worth preserving anyway.

in the long run, we must preserve through emulation. However, nothing can compare to playing on the original hardware.

Burned cds are more susceptible than pressed cds.

emulation can be a good enough solution provided the emulation is accurate enough. The problem comes from when inaccurate emulation is passed off as good enough.

option 2 is most realistic.

But option 3 would be nice if we could order reproductions on demand from whoever owns the reproduction rights and means. Of course, that'd kill the collectors, but who gives a fuck about them. Technology should never be forgotten.

By reducing the patent public domain year limit to ~10 years for electronic entertainment based ips and their respective hardware.

In the long run everything will be digital.
You can literally shit your pants and scream in agony at the idea but i'm not telling you a possibility, i'm telling you THE possiblity.
THE only outcome.
You either adapt to the idea that everything will be digital at some point, or you better bite down the pillow because it's going to go in dry.

Give it enough years and most people will be preserved digitally too.

I'm doing 1 myself, since old cart based shit is built to last anyway. As long as it wasn't build like shit, it'll be fine.

2's also acceptable since preserving the software with more features, alongside being more accessible as days go on.

3 is shit. If you're getting a repro, just get the real fucking thing. Emulation box like Retron is pure cancer.

And you base that assumption on…?

Emulation.

Hardware replication?

His libtard transhuman fantasies?

I choose all of the above. The original hardware to be reproduced and preserved + full documentation to put things into perspective, and proper emulation to easily play the games for those that are not interested in the hardware itself, or do not want to shell out and oustanding amount just to play the games. (How much does it cost to get a Saturn now?)

Reproduction, IMO. Hardware can't last forever, but if console manufacturers were to release the design documents of their machines people could troubleshoot them, maybe reproduce entire parts of the machine to replace old units. Open source the communication protocols and the timings so we can come up with alternatives for things like dying CD drives.

I just read the thread. Atm, archivefags will re-mention Blu-ray LTH, with as much inorganic material as possible. I will be testing a M-Disc burner soon on Win7 and Linux soon, Parabola if not Devuan. FreeBSD as soon as I can confirm sysctl.

ROM on silicon will always be cheapest. Soon I want to see nanotech on acrylic and crystal glass. Always wanted that tech to be commercially viable, and implementable as laser scan, maybe even a super QR code reader.

Imagine having then entirety of a file or game with a simple layered picture that cannot degregate

What's with the gloves?

What's with not using gloves? I don't want my skin tone and fingerprint on the web user

Autism. Private servers for MMOs are a thing, I doubt that's impossible for any other game with enough effort.

I want to rub my dick on that

Lewd