This game is a lot of fun and hard if you want to get all the medals for each missions...

This game is a lot of fun and hard if you want to get all the medals for each missions. Why do Holla Forums hate it again? It was created as a spinoff and as a 3rd person coop shooter it plays well and there are even secrets and backtracking like in the classic Metroid games

Can it really be called a spin-off if there isn't an ongoing main series?

Why did they even tie the Metroid name to it? Why not just make a new IP?

It was clearly designed as a single game spinoff that wont get a sequel for a very long time (if ever) like Four Swords in the Zelda series. Nobody complained about Metroid Prime Pinball that is a spinoff from the prime series and is a solid pinball game even if the gameplay dont have much to do with the prime series

To sell more copies. It was designed as a original IP before they added the Metroid IP to make the game sell more.

I'm not saying there needs to be a Federation Force series for it to be a spin off, I'm saying there needs to be an ongoing METROID series for it to be a spin off. The main series game was Other M in 2010, and the last decent game was Prime 3 in 2007. People don't hate Federation Force for being a spin off, they hate it because the main series might as well be dead at this point.

Short answer : You have absolutely no credibility after the reveal that samus was the second to last boss, as a fucking blast ball minigame. It can be as good a game as it damn well wants, the fact that it shits on Metroid so much makes it deserving of every last bit of resentment. Long answer :

Nobody complained about pinball because there was an ongoing main series at the time. Federation farce came after hints of a new metroid. It came as fans were fully expecting a new entry. Instead, they got shit based on the most decried part of Corruption, in an atrocious art style, presented as a ball game. If you don't see the problem with this and how scrambling to make it more like metroid while sticking to the base insult isn't helping, you might be dense.
And how exactly is "to sell more copies" acceptable in this context ? Especially in the light of nobody welcoming the announcement and them still sticking to the metroid prime label assuring fans were just stupid not to trust this.

I do really want a mainline Metroid game as well with standard 2d gameplay. How much would you complain if they added a new 2d metroid game but it had RPG elements like shops where you can buy stuff like in SotN and gear drops from monsters? That would also be a radically spinoff from the classic series but i have no clue how much people would bash it

The game is indeed enjoyable, but it's not that good. Is just another game, which is the problem. The standard was too high to be ok with that garbage.
Don't make a thread to shill. If you want to play with me, cool

It kinda reminds me of Super Paper Mario. I am not going to say that Sticker Star dont suck (it does) But people complained about the change SPM had before they even played the game and when the game came out people found out that it was a solid game. Sometimes a spinoff/radical change to a series can be good (the first Prime game also had many complains by diehard 2d SM/ZM fanboys for the change)

The problem with SPM is that people wanted another RPG and they got another platformer instead. The platformer wasn't bad, but it wasn't a damn RPG.

I could get behind that, depending on how well it's pulled off. If it's level design and secrets were managed as well as a normal Metroid game, or even one of the Metroidvania Castlevania games, I think it could end up being accepted.

$0.27 has been deposited into your account
Samus's return for the first time in 6 years(9 if you're not a faggot) and she's a cameo and the penultimate boss of the game. It's like if Breath of The Wild was revealed, starred some chuckle fuck and Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, only appeared in side quests.

Thinking about stuff where rather than finding energy tanks you find different weapons and as a new radical change there would be melee weapons as well. Add a level system like the metroidvanias as well and for the hardcore players add a gamemode where you are level 1 the whole game (that is better than the ¨hard¨ mode in ZM that was not that hard) and mode where max level is 25 for the not so hardcore players that still want a semi hard game. It would still be a 2D Metroid game with tons of secrets and powerups that you know the bigger question is how much people would bash it

What's even the backstory for the final boss?

Even the other posters agree that the gameplay is not bad at all so what else are there to argue about?

It should have been called "Federation Force: A Metroid story" or something like that.
Naming it Metroid Federation Force makes it sound like a main series game.

Because fans wanted (and still desperately crave) a proper Metroid game, which they haven't had since Metroid Prime 3 (that was almost 10 years ago, holy shit), and Nintendo knows this. They know how bad of a taste in everyone's mouth they left with Other M (reminder - Other M happened 6 years ago).

But instead of catering to their fans, and trying to redeem themselves from the inexcusable fuckup that Other M was, they decided to use the Metroid name to cocktease their fans even further, by putting out the very opposite of what the fans want.

The game itself is probably fine. Whatever. People aren't mad at the game for the game itself. People are mad at Nintendo for repeatedly fucking them up the ass with a sandpaper-covered dildo, and not having the decency to lube the damn thing up.

So you want companies to pump out sequels every year?

You know, a series does not have to have an entry in current year. So no, you're wrong. There doesn't have to be an ongoing series for spin-offs to exist.

Fuck off marketer

I'd agree with you, if we weren't talking about a series where the last proper entry was nearly a decade ago, and the only other title after it (over half-a-decade ago) was a complete travesty.

Metroid fans deserve a bit better than what Nintendo has given them, and I don't think it's hard to see why people would be upset about the fact that Nintendo would choose to make a Metroid game, after all this time, but make it not-at-all what a Metroid game should be, or what the fans want.

The story is awful.
The gameplay is slow and plodding.
And just to top things off it seems that the devs straight up dislike fans of the series.

Even though its a spinoff, the problem is that there wasnt anything to give fans hope after the fact. Instead Nintendo said "This is the next Metroid game, deal with it", and because theres been no good Metroid game since 2007 it just comes across like the biggest slap in the face ever. Maybe I'll get it when I can get it for 10 bucks used or I learn to stop caring and be a piratefag, but I just dont feel like I'm in a rush to get yet another co op shooter spinoff.

I'll believe it more when I see devs calling fans entitled on Twitter. I could sort of believe it even then because they took Samus, and couldnt even give her a cool boss fight. Instead shes just a giant ball that rolls around.

Because Nintendo, if this is successful, may overshadow and decide to abandon Metroidvania design in favor of casual-friendly walking corpse of a franchise using familiar controls even a brat could understand. Which is purely BS because I'd argue that Metroid is Nintendo's only franchise that has Sci-Fi and horror in one package and does it well, in addition to having anything but Nintenyearolds as their primary audience. Not only that, it's probably one of the few games that can be terrifying to adults at times with an E10 rating.

Although, the reality for Nintendo is that Nintendo doesn't have the capacity to recreate the lightning in the bottle at this point. Nintendo's R&D1 team is now defunct with Sakamoto senile and desperate to have a Wario game again, and Retro Studios hollowed out of the Turok devs that understood Nintendo's architecture and gnarly art design. Don't even get started with new Shiggy and his fetish for innovation that ruined Star Fox Zero (maybe the whole franchise since Adventure) just because his ideas aren't compatible with reality.

I believe, in hindsight, the first true travesty to the franchise was that Nintendo stopped making the Metroid games themselves since Other M, handing the busywork to Team Ninja-Volleyball because they were starting to stretch themselves too thin. I can also see that they did it out of the mistaken belief that Metroid needed stronger combat mechanics in order to stay relevant, and stop "wasting time" on petty passion projects like level design.

The irony is, Nintendo is now so far up its ass that they're barely a hardware company, let alone software. And the best case scenario for their rut? I'd say let Platinum have a go at the franchise. Sure, their licensed games are beginning to suck, and Star Fox Zero as well, but they at least consider the fans when it comes to what kind of mechanics they want for their games. Star Fox Zero even proved they can go beyond their comfort zone, though it's arguable on who to blame for gimping regular controls and conventions for gimmickry I believe Nintendo is to blame because of their profit from the situation and their hatred towards streamers and emulators

Their style towards games like Metal Gear Rising would also be more welcome to the Metroid series, seeing as Metroid works with several tones and has enough brevity to appreciate Platinum's humor. Bayonetta isn't that much a stretch from Samus when you take out the blatant cockteasing, the kind of shennanigans with Metal Gear Rising's technology would be right at home with the GFeds and Space Pirates, and the potential Metroid still has to go (Speed Boosting's never been done in Prime, seeker missiles haven't been done in 2D, etc.) would be enough to motivate Platinum to follow things through.

That's if Pokemon Go's profits motivate Nintendo to become a good company again for kids and adults. Until then, I'm more than content that at least people remember Metroid games enough to make Indie games and fangames out of it.

tl;dr Nintendo needs to sit in the corner for a few minutes and realize that their adult fans aren't mongoloids and walking wallets buying Pokemon, and give the franchise to people that understand it enough to write interesting lore/scenarios instead of blatant nostalgia bait that's detrimental to the games they make. I'm stumped on how difficult Nintendo makes this seem, when a fangame makes it seem so easy.

BINGO! I GOT SHILL BINGO!

did it flop?

I don't see it on Japan's media crate sales, granted it only came out 2 days ago there. But with how fast discussion on it dropped I can't imagine it did well.

That's why everyone's mad.

Didn't they already do that?
I thought for sure I saw something on here about them saying something along those lines.

I've seen that, but I've never seen one person post screencaps on it.

isn't it 12 years now? only the 2d games were any good.