Just got done playing this for the first time, had one question for you guys...

Just got done playing this for the first time, had one question for you guys, why did you let the best shooter of this gen die?

You can't kill what never had a chance to live.

/thread

What is it even?

It wasn't me, I play this shit almost every day and I have no idea why it isn't more popular. I guess people really are just gwafixfags that refuse to play it because 2/3 of the maps don't have finished textures.

Unreal Tournament 4, an open source gratis arena shooter that has better gameplay than any other UT game despite being made in the current year.

Well fuck man that actually sounds great. Maybe it died because nobody bothered shilling it enough because I never heard people really talk about this before

Does it have Vulkan? Still waiting for Zen and Vega

Almost every post about this game that I've seen on this board was made by me, excluding the OP and other rare posts. It hasn't died because noone really played it much in the first place. I think people are just really apprehensive towards it since they still call it "pre-alpha" despite having everything related to gameplay working, god tier optimization, and the levels that are finished have the best gwafix in the industry. But the point is that the devs don't want to say it's out of alpha until all of the maps are finished which they take their sweet time on since Epic has only allocated a couple devs to work on it (everyone else is working on their shitty "we want the minecraft audience" game called Fortnite).

I don't get why though, nuDoom was very successful and given the upcoming Overquake Champions they'd do well to actually finish this thing and market it as a competitor to CRAPCUNTSQuake.

The game has about 50 people playing at a time which isn't bad considering Epic in no way has advertised it and since it is in pre-alpha with most maps untextured.

The real issue is how the company sent half the dev team to work on a shitty Moba so now updates are taking forever.

like, I really gotta ask

and I'm an old lady who came up playing doom on my highschool's LAN and UT99 at LAN parties later

but really, like – do you think UT4 is fun?

I've only played a couple dozen matches but it just seems so bland and uninspired. even nuDoom had more fun multi and that's mediocre at best

do you have a lot of experience in classic deathmatch games? I could see it being fun if it's a novelty thing

It's just as fun as the older UT games in my opinion.
Post thighs

that's kinda my problem, I guess?

UT99 was really fun back in 1999, but dude, I'm so over it.

I could see UT4 capturing an audience of post-9/11 kiddies and OMG TEH GWAFIX fags but I can't see it having a big player base

What in the world did you think NUDOOMMOOMDOOD did better than UT4? The gameplay of UT4 is exactly like 2k4 except they added some cool parkour shit and the weapons are a bit more interesting.

nuDoom's multiplayer is casualbabby garbage with shit like loadouts that completely miss the point of arena shooters. Arena shooters are all about map control, you want to ensure that you have a good setup of weapons and ideally some armor before you go toe to toe with an enemy, but if you start with whatever weapon you want and most weapons kill even armored enemies near instantly then map control is insignificant.

Speed is a factor too, and while there isn't anything like bunnyhopping to take it to Quake 3 levels if you understand the movement system the game ends up being far more fast than numoomdood and it also has some cool parkour stuff like wallrunning, tap dodging, and sliding. On top of all that the weapons are far more interesting because of the different ways you can use them.

And UT4 will never capture millenials because it is too hard and requires you to be competent at the game to have fun. The problem with modern shooters is that stuff like low health pools, regenerating health, no pickups, loadouts, slow movement speeds, aim down sights, and hitscan weapons put low and high skill players on the same playing field. Every fight is a question of who sees who first since it's trivial to hit a target that moves slowly when your projectile instantly arrives at the target, and once you hit them about 3 times they're dead. In a game like UT, if you get hit from behind by someone less skilled than you, you can absolutely turn around and win if you can dodge properly and use your weapons effectively. You'll be at a disadvantage, but the point is that there is actual depth to the combat.

yeah yeah yeah, save me the neo-neo-neo-neo-Holla Forums psueopolitical anti-mainstream-gaming shilling

all you arena shooter fags ever can talk about is whatever the game "should" be based on arbitrary genre labels you assign, it gets so tiring

in the end all that matters is F U N and having played both, nudoom is a little more fun to me. that's all I'm saying

wow what a great argument.

I hope you learned your lesson.

To be perfectly honest, after playing quake live so much, it feels like the base speed in ut2k4/ut3/ut4 needs to be about double the speed, notwithstanding strafe jumping, which is rather clunky, even with timing down.
Also, I know this is turbo autistic, but I'd really like it if they matched the revamped old 1999 flak cannon model with the old flak particles, not the little ufo/anal beads it puts out now.

Alright faggot, embed related is about anime but it is very relevant right now. I don't even like or watch anime, however its point explains what I'd like to convey pretty well and retarded posts like yours aren't worth writing an essay to address.

My biggest complaint about the UT series in comparison to Quake is the weird sprinting mechanic that punishes you for jumping or turning by removing any speed you've accumulated (which you gain by moving forward for awhile). I do prefer the weapons and maps though which makes me like them slightly more than Quake, but I really don't get the point of the speed thing in the first place.

really? is that the best you can do?

what does that video have to do with my comment? I didn't say anything about "turning my brain off"

Well I did play it, then they "optimized" it one patch, and now I can no longer run it without awful fps drops.

Absolutely, especially when the game relies on a lot of circle strafing and keeping a bead on someone if you're not using the flak cannon/rocket launcher/shock rifle.
Though I'm a fucking corner hugging nigger with a rocket launcher, I do not do nearly as well in open areas.

I'll play when it's finished.
I play a lot of open alpha / early access games but if I really want to enjoy a game I wait for it to be finished.

Wont they start charging for it after its out of alpha though?

I like a lot of his opinions, but holy fuck if he isn't a whiny faggot - especially with that profile pic. I guess it takes one to know one, then.

When you said "It's about F U N" is usually what is referred to when people say "turn your brain off [and enjoy something]." I mean, I get your argument that UT4 is just more UT, but without elaboration on what you think DOOD actually did right, I can't blame the other anons for jumping to conclusions.

see

Gameplay is fully down, if you're interested. Playing in prisonland is hell. Population is so low, and it's usually the same people I just cannot match in terms of skill, at least as present.

Maybe. I'll pirate and buy if it's good if they do, like I do with every game.

You do realize there wont be a single player mode right user?

If it doesn't have bots I'll be very surprised.

Are they not planning to add a multiplayer campaign? Every UT game so far has had it. I really hope that's not the case, considering it helps facilitate training of new players.

what kind of hipster argument is it that "enjoying something without thinking about why you shouldn't" equals "turning your brain off?"

I like to enjoy things, fuck off with this pretentious horseshit.

as far as what it did right, it's just fun. it has a fun movement speed, it has (as of the most recent patch, anyway) great weapon balance, and the demon runes are a neat addition that really isn't overpowered against skilled players. I really like the map design, and the movement of Doom4^H was my favorite thing about the single-player. the visuals are fantastic of course. the fact that my FuryX gets over 120 FPS the overwhelming majority of the time is pretty fantastic too. I also like loadouts much more than picking up weapons.

I actually play snapmap multi rather than the regular multiplayer, because it includes co-op and altdeath modes.

You haven't refuted at any point why you think numoom is better than UT4. You just say "uhh cuz its fun :D" without providing an actual argument. The point of the video was that there is a reason everything is fun whether you know it or not, and that criticizing something doesn't mean that you hate fun. I absolutely love fun and all of my favorite games are fun, they just happen to be significantly more fun than moomdood for reasons that I can actually explain because I'm not a drooling retard.

Why do you eat yummy food instead of cow shit? Because yummy food tastes good and is more healthy than poop. Why do I like UT4 more than doomood? Because it is faster, has more variety to its weapons, more intricate maps, and more tactical depth (map control and movement mechanics).

I replayed quake recently and it's been making me want to play some online FPSs again, I'll probably start playing UT4 again.

who is the drooling retard again? look immediately above your post for why I like nuDoom.

and anyway, your argument is pretentious and moronic. "you need to be able to justify why you like the things you like"? get out of here, seriously, that's some fucking college freshman "I just took my first class on critical thinking" idiocy. no, I don't have to justify shit to you. and don't use words you don't understand, kid. "refuted' is too hard for you.

There's also quake live if you want. And depending if you have steam or not, there's a lan group for ut4/1999 if I recall. I think it's public, so you can just join.

it run on ubuntu tho? I ain't even kno it was out tbh fam

Speck's Unreal Holla Forumsidya is the name of the group - they also play Jedi Knight Outcast/Academy too.

What's the point of not using Wangblows if you're just going to give all your information to Amazon

Anyways I play it on Linux Mint and the performance is decent but noticeably worse than the Binbows version. I am using pretty old hardware though so if your rig is beefy I'm sure you'll be fine.

for reference, 60FPS on near maximum settings on windows while I get 30-60 on high settings on ganoo slash Linux with a GTX 760, 8gb RAM, and i3 processor. I'm not really sure which is the limiting factor but I'd assume it's the GPU just because linux drivers from GPU manufacturers are pretty shit.

Because it's the same fucking game as the last UT and I've already played that
Why would I want to play the same game with improved graphics?
I mean shit the visuals don't even matter because you hardly have the chance to stop and look at them since you're always moving

It's certainly similar but 4 has the best gameplay in the series due to the new movement mechanics and some slightly more interesting weapon balance (pull enemies towards you with link gun, bio gun can shoot blobs that skitter forward on the ground, useful rocket grenades).

I found the parkour stuff to be annoying and a bit clunky tbh, a few balance things and different movement isn't really enough to make me play it, and I think it's the same for most people since UT4 seems dead as fuck

Because it's not finished. I want my Assault and Bombing Run game modes.

If you think that expecting someone to justify their argument makes them pretentious then you have either never been in an argument before. You should stop browsing this site or any site based around discussion if you don't want to actually fucking discuss what's in the games. You haven't described anything.
You have yet to elaborate on this point, when someone counteracts this point you just say "wow who cares its fun lol" What makes NuDoom more fun than older arena shooters? The other user outlined everything that makes arena shooters good in his opinion all you said was "its fun" without discussing the actual mechanics of the fucking game. Its almost like on a video game board people expect you to talk about the games. I'd call you retarded but you're a woman supposedly so I'm not surprised this behaviour is expected.

It's been in pre-alpha for 2 years now

But that's exactly what turning your brain off means.

Are all games really capable of improvement? Shouldn't some designers just concede defeat to themselves, admit "it's done, this is perfect", and let the artists crank out prettier versions as tech advances?

Well no of course, it's not their fault. But that won't change that me and a whole bunch of other people don't really have interest in playing a game that is largely the same
Maybe they should've just left it dead

Nice meme, lebrodudeski.
Next you tell me Zeitgeist forwards user data straight to the NSA.

Played it for a while. It was fun but deathmatch gets old quickly, at least for me. I think if they implemented like a competitive mode with a ranking system it would be far more popular. People would at least have a reason to get good.

Anyway I was thinking this competitive mode would be duel style 1v1 but I don't know if the game is balanced for that.

Whatever happened to the John Romero proof of concept hype?

Fuck off coward.

Not OpenGL no interest.
Not as an option, it entirely.

I mostly agree though I do have some minor issues with UT that they could address:
That sounded like a lot of complaints but many of them are nitpicky and outside of those I cannot think of any ways to improve the game.

How exactly do you think the linux version works then?

Nobody plays UT4 because the age of arena shooters is over.

you honestly sound like some loser dweeb who's butthurt that his only "accomlishment" in life is being good at a videogame nobody cares about anymore.

I'm shit at arena shooters and I still think they're fun. I can maybe play against medium bots on a good day but even then I'll go even at best.

You sound like a casual millennial that doesn't want to have fun or spend effort getting good at something.

Both games are fucking shit

that and the PC gaming audience is fucking puny.

Then why did you bump the thread?

Provide a valid argument or fuck off

Most of that sounds like the sorts of things simple mods would fix. You know, the other part of the classic FPS experience we lost, alongside LAN/private servers and KB/M controls?

You gotta give me incentive to keep playing you know.
Something like experience, levels, unlockables, skins, etc etc.
Otherwise I lose interest after a couple of matches. Why keep playing if you don't earn anything?

I don't believe that for a god damn second.

Anyway, I haven't considered playing it because I had put far too much time into UT and UT2004. Also, I'm older now and my reaction times are complete shit compared to back then.

UT2004 still holds a place in my heart as the greatest FPS I've ever played.

Holy fuck. This is the generation of people after me?

Why do you think Overwatch is king of shooters now and nobody wants UT4? It's not just generation too, a lot of older players also learned to appreciate the beauty of non-affecting-gameplay grinding. Grinding is the future humanity chose.

Is there grinding in overwatch?

Thats not Overwatch.

Why should I care about UT4 when not even Epic does?

Yes. You wanna that sexy pose or costume? Gotta earn them blizzbux to buy it.

OV isn't dying anytime soon too.

Are you actually dumb?

Yup, nobody can appreciate simply competing with their peers anymore.

Are you actually this stupid?

Who says it's bad? Can't you read? Grinding for shit doesn't affect your stats is the best thing as opposed to endless gear treadmill in traditional games.

Cosmetics are a nice addition, there's nothing wrong with having them and having them improves the general quality of the game

Sure, yes. You're right. Why did I ever think people would play a game on the merit of its gameplay alone?

You can have my hobby. I don't want it anymore.

you ain't winning anything

You can play a game on its gameplay alone but that's not gonna last long. I really can't see myself or many other people really, playing a game that is just multiplayer only for more than a dozen hours before getting bored with it.

You are the reason TF2 became a marketplace of shitty cosmetics.

TF2 became a marketplace of cosmetics because people like YOU stopped playing the game for gameplay only and they had to do something to keep it alive.

What does the word "win" mean?

Do you really have this bizarre materialistic ideal ingrained in your head to the point that it warps your understanding of the English language?

So you're saying you'd play a game you DON'T like, as long as it gives you irrelevant rewards?

When the fuck did improving one's skill get thrown away in favor of dumb fucking cosmetics?

Well OP, you have your answer. Dumb niggers like this one exist, hence why it died.

Pretty sure they just wanted to make the game F2P so they would get a constant stream of income.

I don't know what you're trying to say, it's a phrase, you can't just take one word out of it and say I don't know what it means.

No idea where you got that. I'll play a game I like for more time if it gives me some neat cosmetics.

Are you still playing TF Classic? Are you still playing CS Source? Why did you stop I wonder?
Fuck off, you're just an hypocrite.

You're making some assumptions about this person. They might actually still be playing both of those.

I doubt it to be honest. And even if they did a whole bunch of other people aren't, and that's why people add cosmetics to multiplayer games.

Because they take nothing to make, they prolong how much people will play for and allow players to express themselves.
I know this is just the Holla Forums hivemind saying that every new thing is bad, but sometimes I just get pissed finding retards like this that would rather have a game with less content just because Holla Forums told them to dislike cosmetics.

I played the game solely for gameplay, but when it started to become just a glorified hat, and suit shop I stopped supporting it. I'm okay with cosmetics in game, but not when faggots start playing the game and instead of saying "Gee, I cant wait to get as good as him." They instead say gay shit like "Wow I want his cool skin" It becomes a lost cause. Just look at CS Go, where this example came from, I still play it for the gameplay but its hard to stay invested when my teammates talk about trading and skins IN THE MIDDLE OF A COMP GAME and die because they were distracted.
I play games solely on gameplay, Hence why i had 400 hours on CS GO and TF2 Classic, and now i've been playing more UT4 to get a better grasp of its gunplay to better suite a game im modeling for. I wish TF2 never went F2P, its only a matter of time before CS GO goes F2P to get those underage in the game.

You're more than just retarded. You and your kind are responsible for the decline of games. Fuck you.

Logic bounces right off your fucking head so why would I bother? I'm not going to get into a battle of semantics with someone with the mental capacity of a ten year old.

Fair enough, but I think it's fair to say that you're in the large minority that was still playing the game, most stopped.

Wow nice user
+1 upboat for you

Prove me wrong and play it then. The game is pretty much 1:1 with 2k4 (in the arena maps) outside of the new parkour mechanics and slightly more interesting weapon balance.

Sure they're mostly balanced with each other but you can't just say that the gameplay was left unchanged.

People were actually getting distracted by hats in the game. They would actually just stand in spawn trying to trade. They would sput "wtb ushanka" in chat. The quality of the actual game degraded.

Don't play with randoms?

Oh they didn't just add cosmetics? Fucking kikes.

This has been the case since the very beginning of the microtransactions in that game, if you had played anything other than vanilla that would be immediately obvious.

You must be retarded
You can get all those weapons by playing the game for a few days

Fuck off user

Unreal Tournament 4 doesn't have enough completed content.
There are incomplete "shell" maps that have been incomplete for over a year, possibly over two years.
It's fucking ridiculous when you look at how much content Unreal Tournament 2k4 had.

With UT4 Epic obviously wanted the community to make the fucking game for them.

Even if this is a dumb reason, UT4 does exactly that. You have experience, skins, unlockables.
Why didn't you do even basic research before writing this?

I just started playing the game, is it really dead?
A shame, because I am having a blast.
Never really been into arena shooters, but it really feels like an old game with new graphics, which is something refreshing in today's videogame landscape.

I've played a couple hundred hours of the game and I don't even have half the weapons because I haven't spent a cent on it.

It literally has every single one of those and has had them for at least a year now, also you're a faggot if you can't enjoy games without that shit.

No story mode, and no new weapons, no melee no hover-boards, no radical 90's characters.

I only really liked Unreal Championship 2.

It's literally not out yet you retard