I've been having trouble finding games that I haven't already played before, not to mention I've also been bored as fuck

I've been having trouble finding games that I haven't already played before, not to mention I've also been bored as fuck

So my idea was to take a few suggestions for games that most people might not have played from the past 20 or so years and code up a website that gives these games out one by one randomly as suggestions together with extensive info on them.

It's basically this whichmovietowatch.com/ just for games
I looked but there doesn't seem to be anything similar for games, not for something that doesn't automatically take entries from Steam or GoG and gives them out randomly at least.

Most of you are way better than me with obscure games, at least some of you are, I'm pretty sure.

Give me suggestions, any genre or platform at all.
Possibly non-mainstream entries.

Other urls found in this thread:

alltimevrecommendations.wikidot.com/
harmonyzone.org/Videogames.html
forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17480.0
mega.nz/#!jYNxRQQI
nethack.org/
te4.org/
egoboo.sourceforge.net/about.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP, do you want games on Windows or are consoles okay? Fantranslations?

As I said, any platform. I'll just make a checklist to exclude platforms that people might not want.

I guess fan translations are fine, can always make that another option.

Well, if you're doing all the heavy lifting, this could work.
I'd suggest Vexx. I played it on the Xbox back in the day, but it was also out on the Gamecube and PS2. I'm not sure how it emulates - I tried Dolphin last year and it was unplayably laggy, something that hasn't happened with any other games I've tried to emulate on it. If someone could tell me how it works on PS2 emulators, that would be great.
Ideally, you'd want to get your hands on a copy. It's a pretty fun and challenging platformer with a lot of interesting areas and objectives. You have to collect hearts or get them from doing missions to progress, so stay away if you don't like that kind of thing. The levels are really varied, from swamps to floating islands to a giant house where you're the size of an ant.
I really want to play it again.

If you actually deliver, that sounds like a good idea. None of them are obscure, but here's a short (hopefully good) list to start:

System Shock 2
Thief Gold
Thief II: The Metal Age
Deus Ex
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Gothic
Gothic II
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

All of these are pretty mainstream, maybe apart from the Thief games which are pretty forgotten

But thank you for suggesting

lostboy.exe

Live A Live is a great SNES JRPG, but it's a patch instead of a native English release. It's an episodic story giving you snapshots of different times of civilizations, and each one plays fairly different from the others, despite all using the same combat engine. Doesn't take too long to beat, if I remember correctly, either. Each story is an hour or 2 hours at most. Definitely a game that isn't mentioned a lot in mainstream circles.

Albion
UnReal World
MoonBase Commander
Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary
Cultures
Little Big Adventure 2
Outcast
Commandos
Desperados
Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
Patrician 3

noted

I don't think I heard about any of these, noted

thanks for the downvote

Master of Magic
Dominus

Noted

Also games don't necessarily need to be old, anything goes, even if it came out last year, just needs to be slightly obscure

Play some PC-98 games

Unfortunately very few of them have english translations, not to mention PC-98 emulation is not easy to get into

ay no problum fam but lemme ax u sumtin do u think dat like a nigga i mean like a real nigga doe do u think dat a real nigga wud put hiz dik in a vacuum juz like wun time ta see wut it really felt like u kno whut im sayin cuz i aint kno any niggaz who did that but like if dey wuz thinkin bout it i mean like it aint really dat weird u kno

Bump

Play Custom Robo and the Ys games

How popular is Custom Robo? I constantly hear people here talking about it but I'm not sure if it's popular outside of Holla Forums

Radiata Stories is a fantastic RPG for the PS2. Best part is that its all real time combat, no turn based crap.

it's not popular at all outside of Holla Forums, play the gamecube one.

We could rip titles and descriptions from the charts that float around here. Also, like whichmovietowatch, you should be able to filter by genre, platform, etc

Feel free to post some charts if you have them, I'm one of those cunts that never saves them and just asks here when I need them

also yes, filters are a must

It's not from Holla Forums, but here.

kek
Thanks though, some good additions there

Wonderful 101(I know it's known around here, but it didn't sell for shit, so there's a high chance not many anons have actually played it)

Furi is good, but I haven't seen it talked about much over here.

Mischief Makers is a relatively obscure N64 game that's difficult as hell to complete, but is fun.

It should be much more in depth than genre. Perhaps a similar games setup that doesn't just recommend sequels or past games in a series?

What do you mean?

An example:
Let's say a guy likes Pretty Good Game, but they want more, they want a game like it but better. So they look, and all they can find is Decent Game(Pretty Good Game 2), but they already new Decent Game existed. On this theoretical website, he could look and find a list of games that are similart to Pretty Good Game, and they'll find Fairly Awesome Game, which is exactly what they're looking for.

*knew

I think it's doable but from experience it's usually better to set up a groundwork that works in a relatively simple way and then improve upon it
Good idea however

Also Rakugaki Showtime, even though it's Nip only. Imagine a PS1 Power Stone with neat crayon graphics.

99% of the time these games are within the same genre: if you want a game like Bayonetta, you'll probably just get the whole set of character action. If you want a game like Yoshi's Island, you'll probably get the whole set of platformers.

Besides, usually the most popular one in a genre is one of the better ones. Due to shit like reddit or game jounalism, this trend is skewed a little, but i'm going to assume most Holla Forums users dont get info from either of these

bump

Use Mobygames as reference.

You got me thinking about Gunman Chronicles user, I have only seen it in passing times, and was beginning to wonder about the existence of good written resources to know if I would like it (it seems to be a little too scripted at times, but if it keeps around or less the amount of HL I would jump on it).

Since this thread will die sometime I guess you could check what rarity is pointed at in the 8/v/ wiki:
alltimevrecommendations.wikidot.com/
For weird games by the Space Funeral author. Goblet Grotto is fun to explore and Murder Dog IV is a one-sitting endeavor
harmonyzone.org/Videogames.html
Jack the Reaper - Jack the Reaper is a 2D platforming game revolving around the titular Jack, a custodian of the dead who must investigate a strange occurrence: the moon has fallen from the sky onto Earth, and all the souls that dwell there have returned to the world of the living! Jack must restore the natural order, fighting through countless levels and bosses to put the dead back to rest. The game will be presented as if it's been made for the SNES- graphics, music, and presentation-wise. The gameplay, on the other hand, was inspired by the Kirby games of the old days (Kirby 64, in particular).
forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17480.0
This is b_ry, apparently on the vein of Yumme Nikki. mega.nz/#!jYNxRQQI
Key: !YcFIaKu4X5ZtvzKSHsba2XwvrqNtPNPNxHobbem15LY This thing got taken down like crazy in the past
That's all I recall at the moment user, yours sounds like a good project. Godspeed.

Some good stuff here, thanks

my man
Thanks for the suggestions

I'll archive this thread, and make a few others as I work on the code by the way, maybe we can actually get a decent database going

If you enjoy rogue-likes or want to try and get into them OP i highly suggest both Tales of Maj'Eyal (aka ToME), and Nethack. Nethack is as true to the original Rogue i think you can get; choose a race/class/alignment and off into the dungeon you go. Tales of Maj'Eyal on the other hand branches outwards a bit more being that you can chose to either have a limited amount of lives or be permadeath like most rouge-likes as well as several different campaigns you can play through and several different player made modules to add different races, classes, items, etc to the game. Both games can be played in either standard ASCII or you can use a tile set if you so choose, they are both updated every now and then so be sure to keep an eye out for new versions.
Both games are free and stand alone so no need for steam or anything. With ToME you can make an account for it but all that gives you is the ability to talk to other players in game which can be useful if you need some advice or want to ask questions about the game.
Nethack: nethack.org/
ToME: te4.org/

It took me a damn good time to find it again, but here it is: Egoboo, a roguelike/lite in the vein of Legend of Zelda, or so they say. Haven't played it myself, but have it stuck in the back of my head since it was pointed out in an open source games thread
egoboo.sourceforge.net/about.html

keep going familia