Time for a CRT thread!

Time for a CRT thread!

Lets talk classic games, be they on PC or console, but displayed on a beautiful CRT. Break out them cameras, adjust that ISO and share some beautiful, crisp pictures of your CRTs in action. How do you get the best picture possible? What's some of the best looking games? Is giving up RGB for dithering a good thing? What kind of set are you using?

Other urls found in this thread:

nwfilmforum.org/live/page/calendar/940
lotdg.blogspot.com
ebay.com/itm/like/222028944372?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
ikegami.com/br/products/sdtv/pdf/tm1420_2020.pdf
ozstick.com.au/product/arcadevga-video-card/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder that pixel texture data was encoded in a binary format so using an LCD displays the raw data as intended, not some blurry meme format.

CRTs have round pixels.
LCDs have square pixels.

this is patently untrue, as the displays the artists saw the games on were either high end consumer electronics or broadcast/professional monitors! Basic logic tells you how they made these games and the way they were meant to be seen.

CRTs don't quite work with pixels, they use scanlines.

You fucks are autistic to the max.

try doing it in a dark room with mostly the TV in the frame, I've got some decent shots of my current display that way.

You get pixels by switching the signal inside a scanline. This is called the pixel clock and limited by the CRT's input bandwidth.

I know, I know, these are just some old pics I had in my phone. I'll try to make some new ones now.

I can't take a picture without those bars. My TV is pal and I guess my phone's camera works at 30fps

looks like you are using composite out?

Yes

explains it, the rough look for composite blends colors together in a way that makes dithering look better (the best examples for this seem to be silent hill and MGS.) I don't know if there's an RGB mod for the C64, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is, considering the popularity of the system

C64 can output video to its own special monitor which has very good quality, it's kinda expensive though.

midnight resistance really brings me back, used to play that a ton on the genesis as a kid.

It's a fun little Contra clone that Data East made and ported to a shitload of platforms.

Yea, and it's one of the better games on c64. Usually multiplatform games were bad on breadbox, best commodore discussion games are the exclusives… Wait a sec, I'm loading a new game. It will take a while hehe.

Is xbox user, saturn user, crt user, and long island leaker the same person?

I don't hide it very well, do I?

After 15 years, I've finally remembered how was it called.

give it a replay, it's still a very good, short little game. I'd suggest the version you grew up with

Fokin ell, can't even take a picture, it flickers very much, oh well. The last pic is from internet.

I mean last pic in this post

The c64 version on disk has the same music on level 2 and 3 for some reason. Tape version has all music.

Makes you forget that c64 is 8bit and 34 years old

Just as old as me, user.

H-Hold up, what is the game on your first pic, I think I've seen it before…

Nice digits, checked.

Btw, this game runs at full frame rate 50fps, I don't think you'll ever see something like this and this fast on nes.

It's all good man. You're a valuable poster in this house.

And yours getting checked too

checked em

time for a friendly CRT bump.

ebin

then why do they usually look worse?

Playing classic games on a PSP (preferably 30xx) is a good alternative and better than a phone at displaying emulated games mostly because of the 480x272 screen resolution, therefore you can display something like a 320x240 Genesis game real nice.

shit thread

because the crt-vcr combo your mom got you for your 8th birthday with mickey mouse ears isn't really that good of a display

At least get some fresh bait kiddo

honestly i dont remember crts looking as terrible as they do in these threads

They don't. All of Holla Forums just has shit tier tube tvs. Picture related. My 1000 line BVM.

Oh wow, bow down to Mr. I have a great CRT.

Well it's certainly better than the consumer grade TVs people are posting with composite video.

Eh, can't win really. That's not to say I don't like me some old wood panel CRTs from the 80s & 70s, but hipsters really fucking ruined that one for anyone who wants to relive their childhood. I think they're comfy.

VHS and a CRT are an incredibly comfortable duo dude.

I actually bought 10 VHS tapes today. Watching Orson Wells Angrily narrate Nostradamus's predictions that he doesn't believe a word of is the best use of a dollar I've spent in a LONG time. Sometimes you find some really funny stuff on VHS you can't get anywhere else.

There's a psudo-documentary/art project/clip show about that subject called Viva VHS!

nwfilmforum.org/live/page/calendar/940

I can't find a copy online and I've only ever seen it run on an ancient shoutcast stream here - lotdg.blogspot.com .

mine

first thing I did with it was watch lain

You have no idea how tempted I am to take a better picture of that. I've got basically the same setup.

If you do make sure it's not the very lazily edited version of the image.

What is this? What is happening?

Is there an opposite version with Rei eating grapes or something?

It's not edited I actually put that image on a hard drive and used the gallery feature in the set top box to display it

more edits

Absolute envy - I've never seen any Ikegami stuff in my country outside of the occasional CCTV camera.

Where can I get a comfy tv with all kinds of bits and bobs like those?

Or can I at least get a recommendation for a fun tv to fiddle with?

I got this for $150 in Australia of all places, I guess they haven't been as memed up and ruined by rich kids as the sonys have been. Still has RGB input and the display is clearly not SD.

They get put on ebay after TV stations or studios get rid of them. Probably not happening that much anymore. They were actually selling 3 of them and I thought about getting two, but decided to leave them in the wild for others. Don't touch the nobs unless you're trying to fix a clearly identifiable problem. By frivolously touching the nobs you're entering into an unwinnable battle that will consume hours.

ebay.com/itm/like/222028944372?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Think it's worth the money? It looks insanely comfy and from your pictures the image looks really clear as well

Yeah it probably is. It's also from 2003. And made in Japan. It would be best if they had pictures of it running but it is still quite a new one and they are designed to handle an insane amount of hours.

Mine doesn't actually have the manufacture date on it. Don't know what's up with that. It says MANUFACTURED but nothing next to that.

They look sturdy, I'm not worried about that very much. I think I'll go for it once I get the money in place later today.

I'll be around if you have questions

feel the manufactured sticker for pen markings, may have rubbed off after use.

It does look like something has been rubbed off but I really don't understand the motive. It's not like they were trying to make an old one seem newer than it is, this one is very obviously not one of the older ones.

nice music, does that one use a rotary joystick?

I'm not sure if you mean what I think you mean, but you can aim in 8 directions, you can also crawl

I mixed the video with direct sound, so it's not just shit from the camera mic.

Is this the /vr/ thread?
If it is, which goes better with a gamecube, xbox or PS2?
Asking because I'm deliberating between buying one or the other now that I know a place that sells them.

xbox has blinx

Would a crt computer monitor have the same effect a crt tv?
TVs resolution were way lower.

But which one is a better supplement to a gamecube?
I'm currently leaning toward xbox because it has the best version of Soul Calibur 2, and a good chunk of the other games I want got a release there, but PS2 has War of the Monsters, which I really don't want to have to emulate.

well emulating any xbox game is totally off the table

Holy godamned fuck, I'm loving these user. Truth be told, gaming may be declining massively, but at least we still have this awesome log of games before it turned to shit.

PS2 if you really love RPGs and jap shit.
Xbox if you want superior versions of most 6th gen games, it's also home to some pretty unique jap games like JSRF, Metal wolf chaos, and phantom dust.

Also i got a pretty nice set up going on right now, a sweet ass CRT I bought for 5 bucks, RF only though, but hey, the games still look fucking great, and it should run light gun games.

Comfy as fug.

Caught me a big one

if it's under 35kg you have to throw it back

LCDs and Plasma are objectively inferior to CRTs. Prove me wrong.

LightBoost

Daily reminder: OLED will be killed off before anyone makes an affordable OLED monitor specifically optimized for gayman, because normalfags are retarded.

Pretty much, the image quality on a decent aperture grille tube blows any LCD out of the water. The only downside is that if you really want to do native SDTV (instead of emulation), you have to use a scan converter/linedoubler.

Plasma is actually somewhat better than CRT, except for the lag and fixed resolution if you care about that.

Good riddance.

Does that line stuff matter on a purely analogue display?

Yes, most PC CRTs are incapable of handling scan rates low enough to natively display 480i60.

Care to spoonfeed redpill me?

And i've already had a PS Vita screen die out on me

I wouldn't be surprised if rapidly improving IPS technology leapfrogs OLED in the end because of the large price difference

That is fundamentally impossible, because all the worst flaws of LCDs (bad blacks, bad viewing angles/colors/greys, bad motion, etc) stem from their basic design.

Nearly every rival technology (CRT, plasma, O/LED, SED/FED) differ from LCDs in that they are self-lit, lack polarization filters, and are solid-state.

LCDs suck, period.

yeah, LCD's were a pretty big mistake. I really wish SED picked up.

have yet to plug this one in and check it out properly:

but it wouldn't surprise me if it had 4 times the hours. Also found out the plating with the logo and LED labels pops off to reveal it's a full 4:3 display.

Wish I knew how to check the hours on mine but the thing is a mystery to google

ikegami.com/br/products/sdtv/pdf/tm1420_2020.pdf
have you read this? May be useful.

LCD was pushed forward by its dominance in the mobile industry, where eInk should be capable of dominating if it gets enough development to creep above 30FPS and obtain power-off bistable capabilities. But of course, eInk will also be asphixiated for research funds and killed off before that can happen.

I think that's just a spec sheet

May have spoken too soon about the usage. Few oddities with the display, image seems to jitter up and down between one to two lines and there's a red/green/blue band at the top, but I don't think this is anything serious. Will look into it once I get the time, for now I'm very optimistic about my purchase. Sadly it seems that I can't fill the display either, but that's not the worst thing ever.

also is anyone else seeing a face in that picture? My head was near the buttons on the left side of the image, so it's not mine. What the fuck?

Lol, should have gotten a Slim.

that's only like 100 days of use though? Should it really have issues?

I want to see how it looks once I get the RGB card and install it, it may make a difference. I think this image was being rendered from the SD-I board in slot 2, meaning it may just be a faulty board. Not sure. It seemed to settle here and there, but started jittering again shortly after. I don't consider these major issues yet, so I'm gonna see what happens after I give it some heavier use. It's also about 112 days of use, I was expecting more like 24,000+ hours on it, considering the casing is a bit beat up.

I'm only more excited at this point. Worse comes to worse I'll invest up to a nicer display.

thinking about springing for this:

ozstick.com.au/product/arcadevga-video-card/

I've been using a cheap VGA to CGA frequency converter and it works OK mostly, but it's pretty damn fiddly to get it looking good and every time it loses power all its settings reset

Where?

maybe it was just my monitor at home. Not seeing it on my laptop.

If the red-green-blue band is anything like what you get while underscanning on a PVM it might be completely normal.

Your Vita 1000 OLED screen died?