So which was the better RPG and why?

So which was the better RPG and why?
How do they stack up to the "classics" like Fallout and Baldur's Gate

Decadence is a text based adventure game if you don't play a combat class

Both are good, both felt very Fallout-y to me. I'm going to say Underrail is better purely because I don't like the graphics and setting in AoD.

Combat is quite shit in that game. Somehow weaker than Fallout 2 in some respects.

I disagree. AoD feels way too different from Fallout to say that.

Don't waste your time OP, better to just make an overshill thread, pokemon go thread, or LOL/veeculture thread. Good taste and discussion isn't something you'll find here.

I felt like the pacing in AoD could've been better.
Both are pretty good.

I've wanted to buy AoD, but $30 seems pretty steep. How much would people who've played it say it's worth?

15-20 dollarydoos.

codex pls go

I played the demo of AoD. I didn't really liked it. Everything in this game is so contextual. When you exit the door, you can't close it from the outside. You can avoid battles but not run away from them. You can try to escape through the door but you can't interact with it for no reason other than you are in a battle.

Personally I preferred underrail though you can never have a good thread about it because every time you try you always get one or two semi-literate retards who start screaming about undertale.

I hope you at least tried the demo

AoD relies more on replay value through story branches whereas Underrail relies more on replay value through combat builds
Though AoD does have multiple combat 'builds', it's not particularly forgiving to builds which aren't pure (solely putting your points into one or two categories) and doesn't allow for a lot of experimentation in character building unless you really know what you are doing. Underrail doesn't really have much in the way of story branches and is more of a dungeon crawl than anything, but allows for many builds and managed to implement stealth in an isometric RPG without sucking hard
It comes down to taste, mostly. Both games share a setting of assholes living for themselves in some post-apocalyptic society, so you'll at least find something in common

Naturally.

I liked underrail more because the combat in AoD was pretty weak and I liked the underground metro setting more.

Also I thought I'd ask here, is Bastard Bonds any good or is it just nothing but bara fetish bait?

You are the decline of Holla Forums. Back to the codex.

Holla Forums declines itself, it's a shithole full of casual shitstains when they are talking about video games and Holla Forums every other hour of the day

Yes, yes tell me more about BG2 is the pinnacle of CRPG brilliance never to be matched again. Don't you have some icons to be earning for your forum account?

RTwP is fucking trash. Get some taste and play KotC.

topkek. Why play that when I am in the middle of replaying Darklands?

Being a Holla Forumsedditor already is warning enough, but you're making it as easy as possible to be spotted as a pleb.

Oh the tangled webs you shit taste faggots weave. Go back to blowing Monte and his wizard fetish m8.

I bet you love RTWP, baldurs gate, dragon age, twitcher, and popamole as well.
Holla Forumseddit, not even once

Is a non combat class truly viable for Underrail? I tried it with my first character and rerolled as soon as I got to the first enemy encounter. Maybe I'm just bad, but even with a combat character I was reloading a fucking lot.

Clearly, you've been skipping your daily dose.

Case in point.

If you dislike Holla Forums so much why are you even here? Bitching about the board not being up to your standards instead of actually making/posting in quality threads is fucking pointless.

Because Holla Forums is the designated toilet board.

honestly bofa deez niggas sound try hard as fuck monica.

Here only one answer.

Everyday in USA day time Holla Forums turns in to Holla Forums.

I couldn't get into AoD, it felt too choppy and unpolished even though it seemed like a good game.

Underrail, I really enjoyed it, not a first though - I disliked the combat at first which obviously sucks at low levels, but then pushed a bit further so my character was more specialized and found out that combat is actually pretty good, setting is nice and there's tons of shit to explore and do. Underrail is close to Fallout, more than 3,4 or overpraised NV, I liked that there are tons of builds and they were pretty balanced, also the Oddity XP system is freaking brilling. The only downside was the last part of the game, but making through it had a special feeling so it was worth it. Overall, for me it was one of the GotY of 2015.

Both have nothing to do with BG as BG is RTwP which I enjoy, fuck hipsters with more streamlined sometimes steamrolled rather than calculated combat and focus on adventure and stuff rather than dialogues/exploration.

No, you can't make it through the game without combat.
sage for doublepost

AoD, Underrail sort of becomes a slog after a while. In terms of reactivity AoD is up there with Arcanum but it sacrificed quite a lot to get that, as far as combat goes it's pretty crappy. Will it become a classic? Only time will tell but I think it is unique enough to at least be remembered like Geneforge is today.

AoD shares a flaw with Planescape. Great game, great setting and adventure, but little to no combat, which lends to making it feel like a VN.

Who's codex?

A very scary place to Holla Forums.
I hope you're just from /a/, and not Holla Forums.

RPGcodex guys. They are ok but sometime goes full retard instead topic.

Your taste in anime is shit

What happened here? Someone got mad because someone else tried to talk about RPGs here instead of the Codex? Is it because AoD was made by one of the guys from the Codex?

It's a generic forum where people, who think Dragon Age Origins and The Witcher are better than Ultima 7, talk about CRPGs. It's main draw is that the mods let users say words like nigger and faggot, which made infamous among other generic forums where people talk about CRPGs. Once in awhile someone will say something insightful, but most of the time it's just autists rambling about things they clearly don't understand.

TL;DR: It's Holla Forums with forced namefagging.

They both suck.

It's the tranny from /tg/. Still mad I see.

Never posted there. Only /a/, and when I need to take a shit, to Holla Forums.

Tranny pls. Your salty ass was on Holla Forums shit posting about how.mad Holla Forums makes you with your shitty crops and proclaiming your rulefag hell hole was the best board on Holla Forums.

All I'm getting out of this is that you go to these boards.

Your need to boast about how great /a/ is and endless array of shit crops with off numbered filenames are pretty noticeable. Seen you on multiple boards pulling your faggotry.

You caught me, I'm just too casual to appreciate the masterpiece that is Dragon Age Origins.

That explains a lot of things.

Yeah, ok, every time you see someone admitting Holla Forums is shit, it's all the same guy.

Biowaste isn't good at all though, and Biotards get a containment zone

You really like to use your Jinx doujin crop

How about we get on topic again?

AoD is a adventure game well written, loremaster with acid crossbow was cool and killing people with a non combat build was really satisfactory

Underrail, I just don't like the metro settings, or the weak pixel graphics, but from what little I've played it looks interesting, if it was on a completely different format

Do you know what would have been more fun? Kiting random thugs to the market square full of armed guards, letting them fight each other, and looting the losers.
Except you can't do that.

Dragon age origins is a masterpiece though

I feel like AoD would have been a much better game if it let you have a companion or two. Combat especially would be more fun because you wouldn't constantly be ridiculously outnumbered in almost every situation like in the base game.

>>10475690

Thanks for the thread guys

A place with better discussion than Holla Forums, and they actually know a few things about RPGs instead of the underage kids here that think shit tier action games (go play an actual action game, they're 10x better) with level ups like Dragon's Dogma are good examples of RPGs. Holla Forums can be good for some discussion, but I'd shy away from its opinions on RPGs due to the underage, ADD plague Holla Forums is infested with.

I haven't played Age of Decadence but it's probably AoD since UnderRail shits at you regardless of your build at the very end. Also if you don't/can't go full burst at the last boss fight you're literally fucked.

It's also full of mentally ill people, and I don't mean leftists, I mean bonafide people that have been diagnosed as clinically insane.

So is bastard bonds any good?

Underrail, the setting is great, the combat is pretty good, the worlds layout is great. the barter and crafting sytems are great, you can't just hawk all your gears to any shop, shops have individual demand for goods which itself is limited but resets over time. The game is itself difficult but can be beaten with good planning, the alternate experience system is great and the games level and world design pushes players to explore so rewarding players for exploring is a good fit. legitimately can't wait to see what the studio does next.

Did you just get here?

Sounds like Holla Forums to me

It's one dude IIRC.

Also, respect for the developer for going to the Codex for critique of his game and withering through the barrage of abuse. Few developers that go there can actually take the bantz.

It's way more autistic and hyperfocused on cRPGs.

Underrail, ah fuck, any threads other than ironical shitposting generals and sometimes shilled AAA are rare and it's hard to find those unless you are constantly on Holla Forums doing you know what. It's good that there are somewhat common RTS and Space generals where people actually discuss shit. There's also a fightan general too which is breddy gud, but there's little discussion of non-mainstream fightans.
sage for offtopic

I thought Styg hired some artists for the later content in Underrail, and I remember an interview on Mattchat with Styg and someone else who I think was part of his company.

Or scanning the catalog every time you jump on.

I can't tell if you're trolling or are serious. If you are, your Codex lore stat is fucking awful, you just described about what the opposite of the Codex hivemind is.

Ultima 7 is one of the lionized greats, Witcher is at best "good for what it is" (i.e shit), and DA:O is garbage.

oh fuck off
it was a one-eyed king in the land of the blind

But is Bastard Bonds good?

Its derivative the game.
Like its half game of thrones, and half wheel of time. Both of which way better than the game, especially now since the series is dogshit.

It's Baldur's Gate with all fun sucked out of it, and replaced with what a faggot hitting midlife crisis thinks constitutes "mature" content.

I still can't understand what fun people found in the game. The combat is lackluster, they removed the highlight of IE games, mage fights, the story is a snoozefest with the typical "chosen one has to stop the ancient evil", only with more cussing, gore and shitty nudity there to distract us from the fact this is another BioWare game.

That's not saying much since both are dogshit to begin with. Then again, we are talking about the bottom of the barrel in terms of vidya writing here anyway.

Like Oblivion was to TES games, it was the first "proper" Bioware RPG a lot of kids played, so now they vociferously defend it to the end, not realizing how tepid and mediocre it is compared to what it was supposed to be a "successor" to.

No.