ITT: Character archetypes in vidya you can't help but love everytime

Here's one I like to call "American action hero as interpreted by Japanese writers".

Other urls found in this thread:

wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems
youtu.be/x4E5hzC8Xvs?t=682.
youtu.be/odyBSAi_4uA?t=935
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The small guy is my favorite. Shows little to no emotion but once you complete their side quests it shows that they're constantly hurting inside because of failed attempts at saving others.

When is capcom gonna come out and tell us Leon is Dante's cousin

I'm pretty sure this is what Metal Gear is basically all about.

For content:

The normal badass. That one guy who doesn't have special powers or weapons or anything and exists solely out of being a skillful badass who can go toe to toe with the other more powerful beings in the game.

Alternative: Shows incredible discomfort when talking to guys bigger than himself due to history of being tossed around and beaten by big guys.

I personally like the edgy brit who likes to banter

This guy

The dumbass who runs around thinking they're the hero of the story, while the real hero has basically never met them in his life.
>Brad

They're brothers. Their father has lost custody, sadly.

I like the "tomboy-ish grill who likes CQC"

I really liked Dan from Binary Domain

Also I can't help but love characters like Akiyama

Nothing is more refreshing to a character and it's lore than to see a returning villain who's involvement is really only personal with player, and not the story itself.

knight/robot with a covered face that doesn't really say anything.
bonus points if they're just a little bit clumsy

The typical evil vilain, so exagerated that he becomes ridiculous and comical.

The good dad.

Jaleel White?

Naw, that's the one and only. Trupe Viper.

Bitter old assholes are the best part of every vidya they're in, prove me wrong.

Another one I like. The stoic black warrior or soldier with sunglasses.

Forgot a pic.

'Best friend who is arguably better/stronger/more likeable than the MC but never steals the MC's thunder'.

Edgy one-liner spouting characters.

Someone who is an amazing fighter despite being an idiot.

As long as the character is voiced by Steve Blum. It's all good.

Beast And The Boy vidya when?

gaaaaaaaaaay

WE
WUZ
KANG FU

That reminds me that u have to beat Jubileus in B1 so I can finally move on to B2.

Waifu bait
I can't help it
This one is my personal fav

That guy who's way more powerful than everyone else and barely gives a shit about the plot except for interacting with the cast every once in a while

But Rando was his student.

ADOL MOTHERFUCKING CHRISTIN

Good choice

I just can't have enough of angry, powerfull badasses ready rain down a knuckle storm on your ass

rando was his student and adopted son at one point, then his face was cut off by buzzo and brad abandoned him.

The "likable rogue who turns out to be a badass" archetype.

That is some seriously shit taste user.

Gas yourself.

This. So much.

I like that type too. That powerful character who could solve the problem going on in the plot, but usually can't be bothered to do so.

Characters that are racist against the "BOO HOO OPPRESSED SPECIES" that the writers try too hard to make you care about.

You have the taste of a 15 year old

Cirno is my favorite 2hu because she fits three of my favorite archetypes at once:

Every single underdog of their games. I don't care if they make up to it by being super skilled, by training ten times harder than everyone else, by being smarter and savvier than everyone else or simply by being unbelievably stubborn. If they can go toe-to-toe against obviously much stronger foes then I instantly admire them.

Rivals on equal footing or better than you that you fight reoccurringly. Or just bosses where it's mono y mono in general.

I'll give you Yuri, but why those other two?

Did not mean to double reply there.

The token dwarf character.

It's very constraining, but because of them, I just can't play as a neutral or evil character.

Silent straightforward fella that does his job well and doesn't cry like a bitch all the time.

The maid

Sten really is the best thing to ever come out of that series. Quiet, straight forward, powerful, the type of guy who's respect you'd want to earn.

Goro is one of my favorite characters in vidya. He's the guy who I genuinely get kind of afraid of while fighting, because he actually puts up a challenge and story-wise is the closest to ever really beating Kazuma

The Villian that is more likable and compelling than the Protagonist

Bonus points if it turns out their goals were actually more honorable or justified than the protagonists, and not just some esoteric "HERES WHY X WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG" no, like legitmately, apples to apples the protagonist's endgoal was objectively worse for everyone involved than the Villian's

Fucking this. these characters are the truest of bros.

Far Cry 4 will never stop pissing me off, the whole plot of the game is literally you helping terrorists and religious extremists destabilize an actually functioning secular state because "muh culture"

do any games have the 'dumbass best friend" character?

to follow that up, i was gonna say junpei falls into that trope if it weren't for the fact the persona 3 and 4 protags are psychopaths who don't really have friends

I'll never live this down.
I completely share your feelings on this user.
I fucking swear.

Sure he's human but doesn't he use certain spells like lighting spear?

I'm a sucker for extremely powerful characters you meet early on who foreshadow the player character's potential.

OP, are you even trying?

How could I have forgotten? Shamefur of me.

I really enjoy the "serious and quick female soldier with a shady past". Usually they are the best material for waifus.

Also, the arrogant, but incompetent type that usually fucks up at the first moment, but never drops the act.

The secret ending is both the best and worst thing of the game. Pagan is fighting against against terrorists and doing his best to keep things working and he just drops everything to take this kid he's never even met before to honor the dying wish of his late lover, showing a remarkable display of compassion and wit to boot. Then he is like "alright, now we can FINALLY tear shit up."

Then it ends without you getting to join him. And there was much sad.

Since that was made during the Bush presidency maybe they'll make a sequel when Trump gets elected.

The hardened badass, made cynical due to tragic past life experiences.

Consult a dictionary once in a life.

The more I learn about FromSoft pre-Demons Souls the more I wonder how did I never learn about them before. Probably because the most american game ever made was not launched outside of japan for no reason.

Bonus points if undead.

souls specifically does the "fallen/old hero" thing thats super exciting

ludwig and artorias being the best examples cuz you keep hearing about them in item descriptions then they hit you with the motherfuckers

Rival battles are the fucking best. They are often the hardest parts in games.

Naive idiots who don't really get the whole idea of killing people or war, namely PJ from Ace Combat Zero, i don't have a picture so here's this
But Naivete is pretty good if done well

The detached, snarky and pessimistic sneak.

Forgot a pic.

No he isn't, you fuck. He's literally a demigod. "The normal badass" is the least applicable archetype you could give him. That's like calling Goku "the normal badass".

No he's not. Did you not play DaS3?

This is the best variant of "badass chick".
"Badass chick" is usually unbearable.

This.

Easy going down to earth guy, who is at first glance underestimated or considered useless, but does the right thing when needed of him and wrecks the enemies. Even while facing the worst, ignoring his own fear he would make a fool out of himself only to bring a smile to his comrades faces.

Nihilistic motherfuckers that despite being super strong would rather hide their power level than fight anyone for anything.

he's weak, user.

Yeah, right.

You're right, he is weak. He only appears strong because he's not a monster he's a human mage.

It got two :^)
DaS2 is pretty much irrelevant story wise but 3 was a good way to end it. I don't see your problem.

Mein comrade

nihilistic and with wicked sense of humor

There was a story about some guy that did that in a roleplay forum and pissed off a bunch of special snowflakes. I wish i still had it.

Trying too hard, user.

I got you friend.

"overbearingly stereotypical black man"

That is most definitely the one. The plainly average guy in a world of magical nonsense is usually my favorite character unless there's a grizzled old war vet, a burly blacksmith, or any sort of bro-tier jerk.

Should of just called it "gets rescued by his bitch all the time".

Whatever lets you sleep better, user.

Just read the entirety of it. Fucking amazing.

God, I hope to meet this beautiful motherfucker one day.

That was amazing.

The incredibly powerful god/deity/whatever whose ultimate goal is fucking with people for the fun of it.

What's the name of this semen demon?

it's just rule 63 Jotaro

Somebody from Senran. I am sure you can find her with some good tag usage.

Daidouji.Love incarnated.

Nigga that doesn't help

Alright I'll start looking

The lovable rogue

That just sounds like a lack of knowledge instead of a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny, user.

I forgot about that. I want more banchou now, specially if it involves muscle women.

Yeah, the retard can't simply google search. S-sorry about that.

what are you reading user

I'm sorry user but I'm not giving any attention to jewgle anymore, but if you have an alternative to image search I'll be happy to listen. Also thanks for giving me the name straight up.

What, am I missing something about startpage?

Wait is there something wrong with google? Who should I use for email if not google?

Holy shit, user. You shouldn't have said that.

The boy in "a boy and his robot" games, especially if they end up saving the world.
It's interesting to see them balance serious stuff that can wreck society and stupid kid shit like homework and acting stupid in front of a girl. Additional bonus if they are so dense, but dedicated to protecting people that they get involved in things that are way over their head, not knowing the true severity of the situation.
Other examples include Ikki from Medabots and Van from LBX.

How am I supposed to learn anything if I don't say anything? Hope one of you will mention what I should do offhandedly? Lurk a bit longer? Just out with it already.

Google sells your private information to the NSA and Ugandan warlords.

Ok I see your point now, but does google get any funding or anything of importance from this?

I want to call you a faggot, but I can't fully argue with that logic. I can partially though. So I will.

Do some research on why gmail might not be good. Don't let people on 8ch spoonfeed you. Don't take what people on an anonymous image board say as absolute truth. Otherwise, when I call you a faggot, you'll start guzzling cum.

Last I checked the only thing google does is personalize ad space using generalized information. The only ones who think otherwise are those clickbaity sites we all generally avoid.

You also forget how google can block certain websites and search suggestions it doesn't like, kinda like the website your using right now or the US election.

I don't think there's a single search engine that doesn't do that.

Became my favorite character that wasn't taokaka instantly.

The problem is not the funding. The problem is the search engine itself. Google monitors your searches. The use is irrelevant, they shouldn't.

Using gmail is fine as long as you don't use it for sensible information.

There are some, only one I can think about is that GoDuck one.

wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems

As I said, do your own research. I want to prompt your thought though.

If you genuinely don't mind your information being tracked, then use gmail. Just don't use it for anything sensitive.

Personally I like the "Reluctant Antagonist" How they wish they could spare/talk/just not fight you you but are hell bound to finish you off just makes them seem a little more human.

(checked)
Alright so if startpage is to be believed they shouldn't be invading my privacy, however be careful about DuckDuckGo as the creator sold out all his user's information at the end of his last project before moving on.

They've never once shown me an ad that involved something I was interested in so I imagine it's rather poor. I disabled all the tracking shit but I don't believe for a second it's actually disabled.

No.

My absolute worst offender would be an interest in loli. What are they gonna do with that? Tell me I'm gross? I'm poor, I have no connections, and I'm not even very interesting. The only thing I fear is not getting enough protein in my diet but my newfound interest in tuna seems to be fixing that.

I'm not really comfortable with any of it, but there's not really anything I can do about it short of using other services and isolating myself from modern conveniences. If need be I'll do that, but it's not like I have anything to hide much less anything of value. I suppose I just don't see the need yet.

MY ONLY CHARACTER TRAIT IS ANGER

I guess I should answer OP's question for once, attractive women who act flirty but are actually inexperienced. I have no idea what her personality actually is but that's what I like to think.

rival/doppleganger guy
there is something when you fight those that just tickle my autism

source?

Jill is so good in PoR, I love how she even joins your side because she'd rather help out her human enemies than let "Sub-Human degenerates" have a victory.

Great read right there.

Neat

Frank West would assuredly qualify for that role, seeing as Dead Rising is a tribute to American horror films and alike. At least, until the canucks across the water said he was "too ugly", and after they got ahold of the franchise, took excessive liberties with his design, eventually turning him into an entirely different, and totally generic character.

LOOK AT IT

LOOK AT IT

LOOK AT IT

I WANT ALL OF YOU TO LOOK AT IT

This.
I love a good boss fight with your rival where they are on the same footing as you and still make a good fight. It's even better if you spend most of the game fighting monsters and most of the boss fights are giant monsters and robots or something but then the rival is just a normal sized humanoid character like you who uses moves similar to yours.

I just love having duels with other human characters, having some kind of rivalry or mentor relationship with them makes it even better.

Characters that aren't one-dimensional and made soley to push a narrative/viewpoint or counter-narrative/

Typical shonen protagonist. Power of youth/friendship beats everything. Insane power gain and a stupid personality.

Hehehe

I like that character type, and I also like that it only works as long as they don't try. Being powerful and solving everything doesn't make good conflict. Slayer is a great example of it, and being a dandy makes it so much better.

I also like disgustingly cute young girls who are more powerful than they should be, and are reasonably dumb.

The humble friend hero who never asks for anything in return, save to be your friend
I'm so sorry Solaire

That's a pretty good shoop, we know a nigga wouldn't still be around at that point

cleave Amita's asshole apart.

best night of my life fam

Worst taste in the thread tbh

That's actually what the writers meant though.
At the end, if you think about it, Pagan Min was the good guy and the Golden Path were terrorists. You just played along until the end and then thought "Holy shit, one wants child brides and religious extremism and the other takes young children away from their parents to grow poppies?"

and because the main character is a faggot who didn't obey his father who was being generous

You mean he's (I have no idea how to make spoilers) ness (I have no idea how to make spoilers)

The "person you preserve to be the main antagonist, but was actually trying to stop a greater evil, in a less then moral way." Major bonus points if they can join your party later in the game

This is bait, right?

lurk more.

Top taste in both regards.

I really liked Logain but he wasn't trying to stop a greater evil, he just thought Cailan was going to end up getting Ferelden destroyed or enslaved again. He felt much more like a real character when you realize he did have Ferelden's best interests at heart and hated all the shady shit he had to do to try and save it. I usually like to let him live at the end even if I lose Alistair.

holy shit

Adol has no super powers, he can use magic but only if he has a certain weapon or trinket that literally anyone can use so there's no advantage there either. Otherwise, he's an ordinary human with a shitton of determination. Hell, he was once jailed and forced into a gladiatorial match with a huge ass monster with nothing but a shitty sword and he still came out on top.

Yes that's what I'm talking about.
How does one hit huge ass monster with shitty sword and inflict any meaningful damage?
I mean good luck killing a bear or a tiger with a sword and an elite force training under the belt.

I couldn't tell you, but it is stated in game that Adol is just some kid who wanted to go adventuring. No superpowers, no big prophecy that says he is the chosen one or that shit. He's just that damn good. Also, it helps that he's killed plenty of other monsters and even demons long before the example I gave earlier.

Yeah, he is supposedly normal, but in action he's borderline superman. Same shit with batman or Travis Touchdown or pretty much every representative of this archetype.
I can't name a single one done properly off the top of my head.

You could say Ace Combat. Each pilot started off as a rookie but then after fighting numerous battles were able to destroy superweapons and turn the tides of entire wars. It feels more natural in these games because the battles ramp up in intensity from basic dogfights and bombing runs to insane shit.

I won't argue with you since I haven't played any of Ace Combat games.
I don't care for planes that don't transform into robots

Rando is awesome.
Shame they made him a pussy in the expansion.

Wait, she's not actually Amita Sarbessian of the Golden Shower? I refused to play the game because of that image and now everything I thought was true is falling apart before my eyes.

I'm still not going to play it though.

You're not missing much. You spend the entirety of the game working for a whiny faggot and a crazy whore trying to kill the most interesting character in the game. Really they should've just had you join up with him to purge the pathetic drug addicts and degenerates.

that asshole who tricks the player character on multiple occasions, but only does it because he's trying to find ways to just get by

The way I saw it, he was trying to stop a greater evil, the french. It was just that he had conjured them up to be more of a threat to his homeland than they really were after all the horror he experienced in the war.
His sad anecdote about his dog gave me some sympathy towards him. By the end of the game he was one of the few characters I actually really liked in DA:O when a lot were "typical Bioware characters" that I hated.
Sten is fine too.

Especially Alistair. Fuck Alistair. Irritating piece of shit.

Alistair was just a shittier version of Carth anyway.
Sten was the best character in the game.

I don't think he really changed, just that he got stuck with the worst possible person in the worst possible situation for what was going on. He was kind of a sentimental faggot if him still having respect for Brad after everything was to go by, as well as his reaction to what happened to Buddy at the end of the Painful.

I still like him, but fuck Buddy and him for going along with that garbage in human skin's decisions. She just had to fucking ruin what peace people had in the apocalypse.

Yeah, that's the problem right there. They became one-man-armies. Remember how, no matter how trained or bigger is the air force you are facing you and your team pretty much solo a whole country military force.
It's o rare to see someone in your team to die in Ace Combat games that it became a meme.

And to be honest, unless you are playing a game were you have only one life, that is not feasible. Let's see you are Adol, or any other "normal human" and you are facing a boss that already destroyed cities or killed hundreds. Well, you died. Why? Because you faced a monster that you didn't know anything about and was not prepared. Now you go again and win, because you learned more. Bu that was supposed to be the first time you faced the monster, so, of course your character would not be the same one from before.

And to be honest, the best example I've seem of this loophole was on a Dragon Quest based hentai. The protagonist would face a huge dragon girl and is unceremoniously eaten. But there is a loophole in the city, were he is automatically resurrected there. Now he have an idea about what he is facing. He teleport back and now ask to be eaten again, but poisons her from the inside and win. And he keeps using this tactic on other monsters. Now this is how a nobody would be able to beat stuff no normal man would be able too.
One interesting example would be half minute hero or sands of time too.

This made Witcher 2 for me.

Let's get an endless classic out of the way:

This is simply amazing. It's been a while since the last time I was this happy for a character being able to accomplish something. Squid is the best bro.

My nigga

Life is good.

I can't for the life of mine find a good bipolar character who completely snaps and goes 0 to 100 in stressful situations.
There's Raiden who kinda does that in MGR but he does that once and it's a rather shitty plot device.

why

HOLY FUCK THIS IS AMAZING

Brad?

Alistair lost me when he cried that Logain shouldn't be made a Grey Warden because "being a Grey Warden isn't a punishment".

It was. It objectively was. Most of the Origins were about the protagonist choosing between being sentenced to death or being a Grey Warden.

God Nefarious was amazing.

Bouncing off that: The "casual villain". Someone who acts like a normal person- quite chipper and jolly even- so the few lines they say in an intimidating way more sinister. Only example I can think of are abridged series on jewtube youtu.be/x4E5hzC8Xvs?t=682. The archetype is fun, but the abridging is a really, really guilty pleasure. Don't click if you don't want to support.

I also like drunk/idiot masters. People who are (or pretend to be) a moron and yet the shit they do helps their goals.
And the comic relief side-villain who one day gets serious and wrecks shit youtu.be/odyBSAi_4uA?t=935

Even better when it's not even a higher functioning creature. Like just a random ass bear you nearly kill each time, who keeps turning up.

Christ man, this is absolutely fantastic
Can anyone tell me how a roleplay forum/chat like this is set up?
I kind of want to make something like this in game form but I'm not sure how it would function

I love the idea of some random nobody picking up a weapon and eventually crawling their way to become the ultimate badass. it's really the bet way to do "power fantasy" right, because it emphasizes the fact that YOU are the badass.

It's made of autism and retardation and stories like these are one in a million. To quote some hack fraud: "You think you want it, but you don't."

Too bad they kept vile in the trash after x3. Never played x8, but I heard he wasn't very good in that game

To add more to this, I love characters who's sole motivation is pure survival instinct. That's the main reason I love Half-life and Gordon Freeman so much; He's just trying to get the fuck out of Black Mesa at all costs.Jacket's case kinda got ruined by the second game alluding to him being ex-military, despite the fact that he fucking throws up after killing a hobo during his first mission in the original game.

I also enjoy Walter White style characters who start out as a complete fuckboy, but are ruthless killers by the end of the game. It's one thing Far Cry 3 got right or would have if Jason didnt go off the deep end and become a massive cuck at the end.

:^(

My favorite would be the loving father that becomes a one man army for the sake of his family.

Bonus points if he also spends time with his family when he can

Extra bonus points if it's a mom but I have never had a vidya game where I can play as a mother destroying everything for the sake of her children.

Overly edgy protagonists with bloodlust.

Also the ones who fight for fun but with zero edge.

Funny thing, I prefer the opposite: girls who act or appear all innocent but are actually huge sluts (as in, sexual slut, not actually a bad person) on the inside. A shame they are almost never pulled correctly since this doesn't seem to sell in the east and the west only cares for full sluts.

The other day I was thinking about a "badass mother" archetype, and came to the same conclusion. It's weird, since it's probably the easiest way to write a so-called "strong woman" without making her a borderline smug stoic woman who gets to throw lame one-liners about her vagina power to the misogynistic men she beats.

Don't get me wrong, there are indeed badass mothers in videogames, but they are just women who had children, so to speak. Their children are not vital to the story or the character, they are just a small detail that may or may not be relevant to other parts of the plot, but they don't seem to be a driving force or central plot point. For the many "mother courage" stories we can find in real life, this archetype is severely underrepresented in fiction.

FUCK

You could speculate that the reason the hobo is the first and only character he throws up after killing is because the hobo was in one of those bad time, bad place situations. It's not that he really wanted to kill them like the mobsters, but he had to kill the hobo in defense.

Badass cool big sis type, but only if she's been stablished as having earned her rank and/or trains daily like a dog. Doesn't take you seriously at first, but she'll turn in a true bro. If romance is possible she gets very flustered.

Could you give me an example of any game I can play as a Mother in general I guess? I can only think of Queen's Blade but it's not the same when everything is hyper-sexualized. Seriously it would be one of the best "stronk womyn" games in the world if jews didn't hate women being mothers.

Jade from Beyond and Evil perhaps. Adopted orphans instead of her own.

Might as well count Bayonetta after she adopts herself in the first game That or you could technically count the latest Fire Emblem games but having children has zero effect on the story.

Boss from Metal Gear maybe?

Canonical, actual mothers, I can only think of two at the moment: the female Lone Wanderer from Fallout 4, and Ana from Overwatch (her daughter is playable as well, by the way). In other games you may have children as part of the gameplay, such as Fable or FE

Playable mothers are scarce, but they exist. Playable mothers who actively demonstrate they are mothers? Absolutely none. "Fake" (and by fake, I don't mean they aren't biological, just that they don't have a regular relationship with their so-called "children") mothers are slightly more common, but even then they are scarce.

I just want to see a mother go berserk because they made her daughter cry. Is that too much to ask?

Characters who are close friends to the protagonist or someone else important who suffered more than they ever deserved. More compelling than the main cast. Bonus points if they're supposed to be controversial or morally objectionable but were actually right the whole time.

Best ending for MGQ would've been you kill Illias and then, with Lazarus' help, kill the monsters too.
Dawn of Humanity, faggots.

True. I was trying to think of female protags driven by maternal instincts.

There's Sophitia from the Soul Calibur series. Her motivation is to save her kids depending on the game. She sacrifices herself to save her daughter at the end of SCIV.

user wants playable though.

around the end of 1 and all of 4 snake was pretty cynical id say

I don't think the shine will ever come off of this story for me.
even if I doubt it's real

if that was representative of the average community, fuck that.