Navy chief halts Pacific fleet operations at the urging of China, orders review after warship collisions

Navy chief halts Pacific fleet operations at the urging of China, orders review after warship collisions

thehill.com/policy/defense/347347-navy-chief-halts-pacific-fleet-operations-orders-review-after-collisions

The Navy will launch a review of recent accidents following the collision of the USS John S. McCain and an oil tanker in the Pacific Ocean, making it the second U.S. warship to be involved in such an incident this summer.

Adm. John Richardson, the chief of naval operations, will call for a temporary halt in operations for the Pacific-based 7th Fleet, the forces that operate around Japan.

“He has put together a broader inquiry to look into these incidents and to determine any of the causal factors to determine what’s going on,” Defense Secretary James Mattis told reporters while traveling in Amman, Jordan.

Richardson will announce the review in a video message on Monday, calling for an “operational pause” to take “a deeper look into how we train and certify forces operating in and around Japan,” The Washington Examiner reported.
The investigative team will include officers and enlisted personnel as well as outside experts from the private sector. Their review will “be on a tight timeline,” the Navy told the Examiner.

The McCain, a guided-missile destroyer, collided with an oil tanker in the Strait of Malacca before dawn on Monday. Ten U.S. sailors are missing and five are injured with non-life threatening injuries.

The Navy has begun search-and-rescue operations to recover the missing sailors.

In June, another guided-missile destroyer, the USS Fitzgerald, collided with a container ship off the coast of Japan. Seven U.S. sailors were killed in that collision and three senior U.S. Navy officers were removed from command pending discipline.

And in May, the cruiser USS Lake Champlain was struck by a South Korean fishing boat.

All three ships were assigned to the U.S. 7th Fleet.

Mattis said on Monday that Richardson’s review is a broader investigation to “look at all related accidents, incidents at sea,” rather than just the latest incident.

“We obviously have a [separate] investigation underway that will determine what happened,” Mattis said.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/story/uss-john-mccains-crash-fitzgerald/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Jesus christ John McCain always fucks things up one way or another.

It's obvious what happened.

Source: similar thing happened between a US navy carrier and a Canadian lighthouse.

I've been on boats in both North and South America, all over Europe, and Asia, and I have yet to encounter any boat other than a private yacht that didn't have someone on the radio that speaks English.

That's an urban legend.

Well, I guess that anecdote proves that all shipping vessels in the Pacific definitely have someone who speaks English on them, including tiny fishing trawlers

Any ship operated by anything other than a sole proprietor (so any ship belonging to a nation or a company, including fishing trawlers) has a radio operator that speaks English.

Regardless of the crew's ability to speak English, there are basic right of way rules that apply to all ships and that are easy to follow regardless of whether or not both crews speak the same language. All boats have starboard and port running lights, so you can see which direction it's coming from whether or not you can speak English or even have any communication whatsoever with the other boat. And it's an international maritime regulation that the boat to port gives way to the boat to starboard. So unless you're suggesting that the chinks can't figure out left from right or are too blind to see running lights, I'm going to have to say you're full of shit.

Disgraceful a US warship has to seek the help of Singapore. Fucking dumb asses.

A loaded oil tanker takes several miles to change course. It's not a nimble destroyer.

So explain the US navy crashing into so many other ships then. Are the captains just retarded?

Well, yeah. When a ship is damaged, the general idea is to put to port in the nearest possible location.

Something to do with sailing in a narrow strait that is also the world's busiest shipping lane.

Which is why they all operate with people on the radio 24/7.

You clearly don't.

Also this. If a destroyer and an oil tanker are on a collision course, it's the destroyer that can do something about it. Except the naval commanders don't, for some reason. What possible excuse can you have for crashing a fucking destroyer? It's American navy ego expecting massive foreign tankers to move for them.

So, incompetence.

International mariner laws also have sea lanes and traffic separation for commercial and fishing vessels. Tankers have certain lanes they have to stay in and remain away from passenger ships as well as fishing boats due to the cargo they carry. Warships are prone to travel the same tanker lanes due to weapons and nuke reactors if apply. Its all written under the UN Territorial sea and contentious zone articles.

Exactly, my point is a Navy captain knows this. As the qualified Captain of a nimble warship there is no excuse for crashing into civilian vessels in a normal sea state. The only explanation is that they're expecting the tankers to move for them, which is retarded/egotistic.

The Warship could also have been tracking sub activity during the time of the event. It is common for subs to mask themselves in major shipping lanes to try and hide detection. That is a possibility, but most likely it was crew failure.

Let me guess, this is spergkraut, isn't it?

If the destroyer has the right of way, then it is the tanker's job to move out of the way. If the tanker is to the port of the destroyer, then it has to move out of the way. If the tanker is large and takes several miles to turn, then it is supposed to have radar on board so that it can tell several miles away that a collision is going to take place and that it is the ship to port – the ship that must move out of the way.

This is an international regulation. It doesn't matter whether you are American or Chinese, or whether or not you speak English. These are basic rules that everyone that sails professionally knows by heart.

I could claim that this is all due to the incompetence and ego of the Chinese captain, if I had as big of a hate boner for China as you have for the United States Navy. Instead, I'll just assume that someone on some side done fucked up and didn't notice there would be a collision until it was too late.

The fuck? It's called sailing through a highly trafficked sea lane. It's dangerous no matter how competent the crew is.

And in a restricted space like the Strait of Malacca, those lanes converge to essentially a single line.

And? If two ships are on a collision, it is still the responsibility of the ship to port to move out of the way.

And if the civilian vessel doesn't have the right of way, it is the responsibility of the civilian vessel to get out of the way.

If the tanker is coming to port, that is an entirely reasonable expectation, and is the correct course of action as per maritime regulations.

"Shipping lanes would be so much better if those damn Americans didn't ruin everything!"

If you're a Captain, you're a jackass and need to be stripped. Here is what you can be certain of. The careers of these Navy men are OVER and the lives of ten others have been lost.

You're the one whose navy is repeatedly crashing into tankers and trawlers.

By the time it is clear that the tanker isn't following the rules, it is often too late to avoid some kind of collision. And until you are sure that the tanker isn't following the rules, you are not supposed to turn, as doing so could put you into the other ship's new path.

That's literally the rule. Unless it has become obvious that the other ship is not moving, the ship with right of way must maintain a straight course. That is why it is called the "stand on" ship. It must stand on course, so that it does not end up veering into the new course the other ship is taking and make things worse. Until it is clear that the other ship is not going to be able to move out of the way, it must stay on a straight course.

there is the practical argument and then there is the reality. Seems you've never heard of being right, and being dead right.

Liberia is a Flag of convenience (FOC) state, meaning the owner of the ship could have been from another country. A real life False flag in the truest sense.

And the reality is that moving out of the way when you have the right of way can end up making things worse, especially when you're in a crowded shipping lane with several other ships in your immediate vicinity.

How the fuck do two unrelated boats collide? The ocean is incomprehensibly massive, that's statistically extremely unlikely unless one ship was fucking with the other.

Maybe for incompetent captains. You don't seem to understand how nimble warships are. I've been on a frigate that was being sea proven, and at 50 knots it could turn 90 degrees in about 20 seconds, and stop in about 10. You'd have to be pretty negligent to not be able to react to a tanker blatantly coming straight at you in a shipping lane. Probably at about 20 knots in that traffic as well.

Yeah, in this shipping lane it may be common.

International regulation is that the heavier ship has right of way, in international waters. In national waters, the ships chartered path is its right of way.

Otherwise a couple of fishing boats could stop all oil trading in the world by simply abusing the starboard rule and forcing supertankers to turn - which is why that rule is outdated as fuck!

Oh I see, a narrow passage makes sense I thought it was in the open ocean.

Yes it the busiest shipping lane in Asia. Any maneuvers done wrong with how the ships are traveling can cause crazy shit. Look at a live congested area up close. These are large cargo and tanker ships.

Then the ship you were on was far faster and smaller than any destroyer.

Regardless, if the tanker didn't have the right of way, it was the tanker's job to get out of the way, and the blame falls on the tanker. If there was any incompetence, it was primarily on whichever ship didn't have right of way, whichever ship that was.

… no. The regulation is that whichever ship is on the starboard side has the right of way, unless one of the ships is a sailboat or a fishing vessel currently engaged in fishing.

So if two motor boats, neither of which have fishing gear deployed, are on a collision course, the boat that sees the other boat on its starboard side has to turn out of the way.

The rule you are referring to is the rule that a smaller boat cannot maneuver in such a way to impede the progress of a larger boat that is physically unable to move out of its present path. So if you're in a canal or a narrow channel (such as the Panama canal, the coastal channel islands along the southern United States, or the Mississippi River delta), and you encounter a ship so large that it physically cannot turn, you must move out of the way and wait for it to pass.

In instances where both boats have the ability to turn, the size of the ship doesn't matter. All that matters is which boat is to starboard and which boat is to port.

What purpose could fishing vessels ever have intentionally putting themselves on collision courses with supertankers and forcing them to turn? Is there some kind of international game of shipping chicken I wasn't made aware of?

Regardless of what you think of it, them's the rules.

Someone's a bit salty.

No, it's a joke. For those who don't know it:

You are hopeless, absolutely hopeless.
You'd get people killed and need that rulebook you have repeatedly sited shoved up your ass.

How /k/ has fallen. Keep at it though, spasti.

And I'm sure those massive ships take a long time to change course as well.

Few options here:

1. It's incompetence. I guess the navy like all other branches of the US military are filled to the brim with idiots who've been selected not because they're competent, but to fill some fucking quota or because nepotism
2. Sabotage from Navy personnel
3. Sabotage from foreign governments
4. Sabotage from kike spies on board either ship
5. Non functioning equipment provided by the (((military industrial complex)))

Maybe the captain wanted to fuck up a ship with McCains name on it?

Which is exactly the rule involved here!

The cargo ship has a radius of turn which would smash it into other ships or the fucking shore, the USN warship was designed for agility and can turn on a shitfuck dime. Both were in a channel. Guess who had to move?

And you call yourself a "captain" don't make me laugh.

Are you fucking retarded? Greenpeace did that for FIFTY FUCKING YEARS, colliding with ships, ramming them, forcing them ashore or onto breakers, until the starboard rule had to be ignored by anyone who intended to actually do business. Pic related is literally what happened in this situation, barring that Greenpeace is replaced by the USN vessel.

The fact that you bring it up now shows you know fuck all about the OP situation, or about international naval traffic management. You probably have a boating license in some national area with specific rules, and have never left its lakes or rivers.

So, incompetence.

I've heard of greenpeace being terrorists, but I never knew about their methods.

The best part is when a whaler couldn't turn because a different ship sandwitched it in, and media went with the headline "WHALING SHIP RAMS GREENPEACE VESSEL"

Vid related, greenpeace approaching from the right, the whaling ship in the middle, and another ship on the whalers left blocking it in. 0:30 guy says "this is gonna hurt" they were sandwiching it on purpose.

Can you provide me with the evidence that the tanker was right up against the shore like that?

Also, in that graph you're assuming that the Navy ship would suddenly and for no explicable reason veer towards the shore. Is it intentionally ramming the supertanker? Is it intentionally trying to ground itself?

Also, in the instance you provided the green boat is passing the tanker, so the tanker has right of way. So it is nothing like the crossing rule, which does not apply when one ship is passing another.

I did?

So… an ecoterrorist organization intentionally ramming ships means that right of way rules no longer apply? That's like saying that the right of way rules at a four way intersection no longer apply because someone ran a stop sign and hit another car.

If another ship is intentionally trying to ram you, maybe. For every other ship, the rule applies.

This is all news to me. Last I checked it was an international rule that is followed just about everywhere.

Really? What's your source on that?

I'm not the one claiming to know exactly what the courses of the ships involved in the collision were. That would be you making that claim.

Well, now I've heard everything. Apparently random people on the internet know more about my life than I do.

Can you tell me what I was doing last Saturday, O wise man? Apparently you know exactly what I've been doing, even more than I do.

Actually yes, the USS Fitzgerald was due to retardation. The other three are more suspicious.

the bigger ones have a turning circle well over a kilometer

Yes. Incompetence.

See, on board the ship, depending on your job you have to get qualified to stand certain watches. You have your regular job, and then there's watches you stand. They give you a certain amount of time to get qualified to stand a watch, and there's an amount you have to get qualified to become "senior in rate". It's on a rotating scheduled, so someone makes up a watch bill and has to fill in who is going to stand which watch at which time. So Bob is qualified to stand six different watches, he'll stand this one from 0630 to 1030. Then he'll be relieved and probably go back to work. Later after a few rotations, he'll be brought back on watch, maybe the same one, maybe a different one he is qualified to stand.

Now here's where the problem is. Only a few people on each watch rotation, or watch team, are fucking qualified to stand a bunch of watches. For some fucking reason the Navy lets a bunch of people skate out of actually getting qualified. The punishment is not very severe if you don't get qualified in time, and is usually extra duty cleaning something or doing bitch work. I guess some people are just satisfied doing bitch work instead of getting qualified to stand watch. Well common sense tells you that the people who actually get qualified are the same people who actually do all the work for their standard job, like maintenance or whatever. I was one of those people, constantly fucking working and standing watches. If you're an officer and you need something important done, are you going to ask me (a reliable person that can be trusted) or Fireman Jackson (who can barely tie his own fucking boots without fucking it up)?

Well eventually lack of sleep starts to get to the people who do all the fucking work. They start bitching "why am I literally doing all the fucking work while Fireman Jackson is getting the same pay as me laying in his rack or up on the mess decks?" So finally some chief will throw up his hands and say "you're right" and actually start pushing Fireman Jackson to get qualified. But he doesn't want to get qualified, and the chief is a lazy bastard too and doesn't really want to deal with this shit, so he MAKES them qualified. And Fireman Jackson isn't the only lazy nigger, it's a whole fuck ton of them that don't do shit. So now they're pretty much rushed through qualification to stand watch over very important systems. Now the watch bill has more people that are "qualified" to stand watch, give me a fucking break to catch some rest after being up for over 36 hours straight working my ass off. I crawl into my rack to get some fucking rest finally and Fireman Jackson (who has no fucking idea what he's doing) is now standing watch. Then the ship crashes into some chink barge and I die in my fucking sleep.

This is what's happening.

Fucking Americans man. Those warships can stop and turn on a fucking pinhead, the only reason for not slowing down or changing course fractionally to avoid collision With a fuckhuge ship is because their authority makes their pee pee hard.

How about you fucks open your slanty fucking eyes? Kind of hard to miss these boats.

This might be a little too /fringe/, but what if this repeated series of accidents are not actually accidents?
Possible reasons include purposefully instigating conflicts with China because muh military industrial complex, or having an excuse to remove the American naval presence from the pacific so China can build up it's presence without supervision.

The annual joint exercises with South Korea, named Ulchi-Freedom Guardian started today 21-31 August.

That would make sense if the other ships were all chink…. but theyre not, in fact some are enemies of chinks. Also if a conspiracy did exist, they would need to bribe like 20-30 ships on each boat and hope no one else on deck saw it, but in reality the crews on charge got punished. So that theory is trash.

They didnt even turn slightly to mitigate damage…. clear case of negligence.

A USN ship can run circles around those.

Another part of the problem is the US Navy does not operate or respond to channel traffic management as all other crafts do. They just show up, do fuck all, act like dicks, and then more often than not bad mouth everyone else. Truly unprofessional incompetence if you ask me.

A lot of these Navy guys are smoking weed while on watch or getting drunk too. Heroin is also a huge problem right now in the Navy. I've always been against niggers in any branch of the services but have you ever heard of a nigger navy anywhere in the world? ever?

Source? Proof? Anything of that nature?

Source? Proof? Anything of that nature?

I get the distinct feeling you're pulling all of this out of your ass.

sounds about right

How the fuck are you going to get drunk on watch? How would you even bring booze on board? I could see maybe someone sneaking a small bottle on board, but that's not enough to constantly get drunk, and you sure as shit aren't going to do it while standing watch.

Now I've heard of one instant where someone smoke spice while on the ship. I guess it was bad shit and he freaked the fuck out, didn't know where he was. They airlifted his ass off the ship. Now as for doing heroin or smoking weed, they randomly piss test you. If they suspect that you're doing it they test you. If you get caught you get thrown out.

Malaysian press conference. They said the US Navy ship didn't contact anyone, just entered the straight like John fucking Wayne.

wired.com/story/uss-john-mccains-crash-fitzgerald/

The US seems to have a bug up it's ass in submitting to foreign navigational aides.

Sorry, faggot. Your version makes no sense. There's no way a huge ship like that is expected to follow your rules. They'd never reach the port.

Engineers bring it aboard with supplies, then sell it. This is fucking common and punishments are discretionary.

www.jag.navy.mil/distrib/instructions/OPNAV5350.4DDrugandAlcohol.pdf

I was an engineer, this never happened. Engineers don't even bring their own supplies on board like that. And even if they did that's so much fucking booze.
Alcohol related incidents are common, but that's people getting drunk while the ship is in port. It can be anything from getting a DUI, to getting into a fistfight, beating your wife, or even slipping and hurting yourself while intoxicated.
This is the most incorrect thing I've ever read. If you get busted for an ARI they hold open Captain's Masts. Pretty much the entire ship is allowed to view it like a fucking public execution. There is no sweeping shit under the rug, you'll get your ass handed to you if they smell booze on your breath and you show up to work drunk while the ship is in port.

Nothing in that PDF says anything about engineers running a fucking speak easy on naval ships, it's all about how to handle ARIs and drug testing.

Niggers instinctively understand how to use toilets to make alcohol.

This year alone we wrecked at least 2 warships because the AA hires onboard keep hitting shit. Is this common or is this all the anti racism and tranny classes paying off now?

The toilets use seawater.

Do the NP/SP still K9 sweep the ship before leaving port?

I'm unfamiliar with what they do. My job required me to be onboard and in the plant bringing it online to get the ship underway. I would usually be already on the ship working the day before. Someone that was an MA would have to answer all that.

It's this, and it's why we'll lose WWIII to China. I forgot who but some US general threw the Navy for a loop during a wargames exercise and beat them with laser pointers, motorbikes, and small rubber boats. The diversity hires don't know what they're doing they just know how to use the fancy toys ZOG provides them.

I've been on US Navy ships and the answer is yes.

Now I want you to think very carefully.

Can you imagine why a military ship having a tracking beacon on it might be a bad idea?

Really mull it over for a bit. Think deeply.

So the tanker wasn't using it either… and this is the navy's fault… how?

You're assblasted that your country is an American client state, aren't you?

They're not my rules, dumbass. They're international maritime right of way regulations. And every ship follows them, or is supposed to follow them.

How many days have you spent on a blue water ship? Unless the amount of time you have spent is greater than mine, I think I'll suggest that what you think "makes sense" makes no fucking difference.

Yes, they are. Maritime right of way rules apply to all ships. Military ships. Personal ships. Fishing trawlers. Little tiny dinghies. Massive supertankers. They all have to follow the same right of way rules.

Dumbass.

That's a fucking JOKE that dates back decades. You're like the idiot who claims he was issued an M16 made by Mattel when he deployed to Vietnam.

Seems a guy named Walker was giving a guy named Sanchez a blowjob at the time of the collision.

"These attacks on our warships are an unacceptable escalation. Send a fourth fleet to the theater." t. Trump

The US Pacific Fleet Commander Scott Swift said Tuesday evening that some remains of the sailors had been found in the US destroyer which collided with a merchant ship off the waters of Singapore a day ago.

When did Oceans become the Los Angeles Freeway? This whole situation smells fishy to me. HA!

I served on a destroyer from 2010 to 2014 while in Japan we smuggled two twelve packs of chu-hi (canned japanese whiskey in citrus soda) on board and kept them duck taped underneath the deckplates inside the switchboard room in aft O country. We would go back there and enjoy a can late at night and toss the crushed empty cans overboard. They didn't have many bag inspections on destroyers. I even knew a few mexicans that did a some lines of coke in the berthing lounge.

Your shilling won't work here newfag. Everyone knows McCain is based and without him you wouldn't have Sarah Palin who helped the emperor to Presidency.
MAGA

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting, user.

Divers have found remains of missing American sailors in the flooded compartments of the Navy destroyer John S. McCain, which collided with an oil tanker on Monday off the coast of Singapore, the commander of the United States Pacific Fleet said Tuesday.

The commander, Adm. Scott H. Swift, declined to say how many bodies had been located in the ship, which is docked at Changi Naval Base here. He also said that the Malaysian Navy, which is part of the search effort, had reported recovering a body at sea that might be one of the 10 missing sailors.

“We have discovered other bodies during the diving on the McCain today,” Admiral Swift said at a news conference, held within sight of the damaged ship. “But it is premature to say how many or what the status of the recovery of those bodies is.”

The body found by the Malaysian Navy is being handed over to the Americans for identification.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002