Which of the Mario themed RPGs do you consider to be the best?

Which of the Mario themed RPGs do you consider to be the best?

I just want to play a single one. What defines best? I don't know motherfucker, you decide.

Paper Mario TTYD

Tfw you will never sniff Hooktails smelly feet

Superstar Saga and Paper Mario 64

Most of the M&L games are pretty nice, Paper Mario 64 is good and TTYD is personally my favorite.
how did they make a goomba so cute

Hands down the best.

the same way they craft Nintendium into handhelds: vidya magic

I refuse to acknowledge those games.

Miyamoto, please go

OP definitely play TTYD. Super charming game. If you're in the mood for more, play the first Paper Mario for N64 or play Super Mario RPG for the SNES. Superstar Saga is also a top tier choice.

Well, as of now there's effectively two Mario related RPG series, both of which handle somewhat different (Mario and Luigi is, well, focused on Mario and Luigi as the party, while Paper Mario tends to give Mario a variety of different parters, at least in the first two entries).

Paper 64's pretty decent, and TTYD is a followup that improves a lot (probably the best in the series). SPM has mixed reception (it's more of a story heavy platformer with RPG elements). Sticker Star is trash, and the new one looks to be trash as well (Nintendo apparently thinks there's no room for two Mario oriented RPGs).

As for Mario and Luigi, the only one I've had experience with is Superstar Saga, which is pretty damn enjoyable in my experiences.

There's also the predecessor to both, Super Mario RPG on the SNES. Still need to play that one myself.

Anyhow, I'd say to at least give TTYD and Superstar Saga a go.

What's so great about TTYD?

TTYD takes what made Paper Mario fun and builds on it a lot. New tweaks to combat (more action commands, interaction with audience, ability to perform STYLISH moves to appeal to the audience for more SP, etc), a really enjoyable cast, some pretty neat chapters (admittedly there's a few that are a slight slog compared to others). Overall it's a really solid game and one of the best Gamecube JRPGs (of which there's admittedly only a handful, compared to the PS2 being a JRPG powerhouse).

This

There's also superstar saga, how come no one mentioned it yet

See

That's a heck of an understatement. TTYD is rife with backtracking and tedious level design.
You're pretty correct about the rest though, and it's still worth a play, most certainly. I prefer the N64 game though.

Also why is there no fanart of invisible Peach?

Admitted it's been a long time since I played it, but the only chapter I remembered being real annoying/boring was the one with the Punis. Some of the others are coming back to me now though.

All you have to do is ask.

Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are the only good ones in the Mario & Luigi series. Partners in time feels soulless and dream team is 70% tutorials

please god let me have a concussion so i can experience vidya again

Fuck. My dick, more?

You're stuck on a train solving an Agatha Christie mystery. Do you even know what backtracking is?

Why would you want to play only one? So many of them are good.

Donkey Kong Country changedbmy life

Everyone knows they used up all their Nintendium reserves on the Gamecubes and GBAs
That's why amiibos are a thing, they needed an excuse to reopen the old Toy Plastic production lines so they can build up a stock to process into new Nintendium for the NX

SMRPG for the SNES I feel is the quintessential Mario RPG everyone should play. It has a lot of the traits that the latter games draw on

SMRPG was also made by Square before they were devoured by Enix, so you know it was good.

Why else would they be seriously making toys again for the first time since they became a vidya company?
There's no other possible explanation user
The NX is going to be indestructible, and it's going to be the most technically impressive nintendo console too, since they're going to have enough extra to reinforce the wires with nintendium to let more game through

Nintendium is long gone, they used the last batch on the Wii.
Even then, they had to ration.

There is no more Nintendium, it died with Iwata.

I after beating Partner's in Time and Bowser's inside Story I noticed that the sole purpose of starlow and stuffwell was to hold the player's hand through the plot and advance them through it. It was annoying and out of place to have them come out of hammerspace just to tell me what to do. Then I remember how the partners in Paper Mario served the same function but more. They would tell me what to do but they're presence wan't as intrusive and was welcomed by me. My partners fought with me and had personalities I enjoyed and they're hand holding wasn't as severe. This brought me to the thought of how I though a Mario&Luigi and Paper Mario crossover should've been done. It wou be paper Mario fighting with paper Luigi a long with a partner. And then, just like how Paper Jam has special moves with paper Mario, you could have a special move for all of your partners.

nothing felt better than fighting as Bowser.

The train was the latter, I wanted nothing more than for that section to end.

Ho ho ho you funny man I kill you last.

eyelashes, have her blushing, and a ponytail for good measure.

Upturned fang and formal attire, too.

this. short but i actually just replayed this last month and i was surprised at how good the writing was, and how consistently good the game is. it all starts happening really fast once you get to nimbus land and ends really quick, and it's pretty easy to break the game by minmaxing your characters (give bowser and mario nothing but attack power upgrades and peach nothing but special attack, and you can beat the game around level 20) but still one of the best and comfiest games i've ever played

its hard to really place and of the great ones above the other, but for nostalgia id have to go with mario rpg. perfect time to get in to rpgs too, was just learning how to read.
mario rpgs were always great fun and it hurts to see nintendo disrespect them these days. heres hoping theyll get back on the right track soon

It has timely references that will never change the original version of the game. :^)

wrong paper mario

I'm not sure if I should be relived or upset that they got a pass for reusing assets to that point. I forgot that one came from the platformer.