GAMES DEVS PLAY

GAMES DEVS PLAY

Are they trapped in a fucking pocket of time?

Do you ever give much thought to what sort of games members or leaders of dev teams play? From any genre, it doesn't matter. Do you know of any?

Indie shit need not apply because it's not like they even remotely know what good games are.

Other urls found in this thread:

andriasang.com/comzk3/4gamer_megafeature/
4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20111221108/
twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/526586563031859200
4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20141219102/
niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/alcohols-effects-body
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know that Suda51 loves Hotline Miami.

Well, we know Kamiya doesn't like anything. I remember

I wish devs would do shit like the Deus Ex guys did, like some commentary about how they were making the games and stuff.

Huh, that explains why jap games are so crappy.

Because they are copying the even crappier american games?

I know a few musicians. Most of them can't stand listening to music of the same genre as they make for fun, due to some elitist notion of "Oh, you see, I really know how this kind of music is supposed to sound like and listening to others butchering it is just going to drive me nuts". I also know that the vast majority of the vidya industry is entitled, self-righteous pricks.
Extrapolating from that, I'd say they either don't play games at all or they only play genres their studios wouldn't touch with a ten-foot-pole.

If you are interested Hideki Kamiya did a let's play of Bayonetta, talking about how the game was made and all that stuff.

because Japanse games, except for Kojima, is made for japanese.

Japs only like one art style, weeb style.

Itagaki really is a total westaboo. I bet he greets people with a big HOWDY and eats hamburgers for dinner every night.

Based.

This. Gameplay is irrelevant for jap games, only filthy gaijin care for gameplay.

Well, this explains quite a few things.

Well, Takahashi DID make a really damned good game.

I want my favorite game to be the one I make too.

As for Kamiya, he doesn't play favorites and doesn't accept bullshit, which the industry is full of, which is ALSO respectable.

Nasu really loves Soul games

Obviously

Kamiya just likes retro games, so he obviously has a GOTYAY

He'd be broke right now. A single scam doesn't make you a businessman, it only makes you a conman.

Isn't it Castlevania?

Exactly. For their inspiration they take the worst the west has to offer. The bottom of the barrel.

Maybe.

his favourite game is actually Gradius

I went looking for the source for this. There were 80 devs interviewed in 2011. Andriasang translated some of them but apparently not all. I'll post some of the untranslated gotys tomorrow if anyone's interested. For now, from the last entry of the last page, Yoko Taro's favorite game of 2011 was Dungeon Siege 3. He didn't think it was very good, but he couldn't stop playing it.

andriasang.com/comzk3/4gamer_megafeature/

4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20111221108/

That's hilariously Yoko Taro.

Huh, that summed up Drakengard 1 up for me.

Excellent taste.

I'm almost curious as to what his highest score on Gradius is.

I'm very interested, can you translate now?

Same. I weirdly enjoyed the monotony and grind of Drakengard, despite telling myself that it was just, grind and monotony.

What happened to Konami? They made pretty good games without even trying, but when they tried they fucked up.

Ask your mom

There was that one time Harada got sick, stayed home, drank tequila and worked on his Steam backlog

Did some research so here you go user, got it from here twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/526586563031859200

Game Devs rarely play games.
When you work long hours every day making video games, you grow to hate them. The last thing you want to do is play them ever again.
This is also why game devs generally only make one good game and then everything after that is cynical cash grab garbage.

I thought he said it was A Link to the Past. Star Fox was a big for him too, IIRC.

That's actually really fucking cool, thanks user.

The only game I hope any given developer plays is their own. I'm indifferent otherwise.

When you work 80 hours a week making video games you don't have TIME to play video games. The vidya industry is a seriously shit place to work compared to basically every other technical field in the world.

Kamiya's said before that his favorite game is Link to the Past. He also has an affinity for old Sega arcade games.

I love Kamiya's nihilsm

*Nihilism

**Cynicism

He's Dobson but successful.

He didn't do Katamari No-Vita, in the article he explained that he picked it because he was very proud of the team that handled it and the work that they did.

Are most japs fucking westaboos?

In what ways is Dobson cynical? The fact that he hates blond link?

A lot of them are.

We always lived in a bizarro world where Nip devs like Western games and Americlap devs liked Japanese games.

Which brings into question: Do Jap devs think Jap games are overrated shit?

With the amount that chose Skyrim as their GOTY, I doubt they even played any.

Games are not made by just one guy. Most of them might actually be useless.

Or they just come up with shit without any source of inspiration.

How can we redpill them that the best shit is made Japan?

Sounds like the plot of a movie

You know what, now that I think about it, that would explain why Kojima tries to direct his staff into making his games as Western as possible - it's the equivalent of an American weeb trying to emulate Jap art style, and it gets some attention because it's not their equivalent of CoD.

You can't, they've got a shit ton of RPGs, Musou, Fighting games and ect, they've developed a taste for something different, like us anons who've got to withstand years of broken shit and hyped indie games and annualized shit, that it's anathema to us.

Or that game "Go Go Nippon!"

Makes me think of Rush Hour a little bit.

fixed for you

Besides Kamiya with Bayonetta and the Rare devs with Conker's Bad Fur day, are there any other devs who did an LP of their own games?

the terraria devs did way back when it was in alpha.
If you count that

so corporations like King or any other typical mobile flashgame crap companies are not conmen?

saw somebody playing fucking "hoppy street" the other day, some 3D frogger knockoff

are you honestly surprised, looking at how XV is turning out?

It is so very clear that you don't what a producer is

Pick one. Devs are not NEETs who play games all day. Many may have at one time in the past been more hardcore gamers, but making games is real work even if gamers play it off as nothing because they don't know shit.

I'm not the one who wrote it.

To all of you stupid fucks
A video game producer is the person in charge of overseeing and funding development of a video game.
They have nothing to do with the creative part of vidya making
Do you feel like an idiot now ?
good

k then

what? the games industry isn't literally like hollywood, and even in hollywood a producer can have creative influence

The say the best game designers hardly play video games at all. Supposedly Shigeru Miyamoto plays instruments and hangs out with his family in his spare time for example.

They say Yamauchi, the CEO of Nintendo before Iwata, hardly played video games (although he obviously played enough to have formed his own opinion on RPG gamers)

I don't think you need to play other peoples games to aspire to be a good game designer, you just need discipline and a good sense of what people want to play.

Only to cut spending and control the financial part of the vidya process

I remember there was a time when japanese proudly bashed ps4 for not having japanese games for a decent time.

lolno

Sorry, it was past my bedtime. If I stay up too late my mom takes some of my big boy points away and I won't be able to get my tendies this week.

I'll do some of the interesting ones from 2015. Most of the untranslated ones from 2011 are just suits or people no one's heard of.

Let's start with Taro again. Again at the bottom of the list. Again listed as unemployed. His favorite games was torne, which is actually a application that lets you watch TV on your PS4 and not a game as far as I can tell. He says he's living alone and it gets lonely, but he's grown fond of a virtual parrot in the app named tornev.

What's with the mask?

No, they're businessman. They understand that cash grabbing games on phones are money now, specially when copy right laws are barely a thing on mobiles.

Nobody cared who he was until he put it on.

Its a way of protection from pollen and not spreading viruses from coughing

The japanese aren't assholes and don't spread minor colds

Suda 51. Favorite game was The Evil Within. It was very scary. That's literally all he has to say about it.

Inafune. Why not? Favoirte game was Yokai Watch 2. He greatly admires the deciceiveness of Level 5, seeing the success of the first game and getting a sequel out so quickly. He likes that he can enjoy it with his college age son and elementary school twin daughters, and hopes that the series continues forever.

Here's the link if you want to force it through a machine translator or look for a specific dev or game name.
4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20141219102/

He's unemployed like every other year he'll probably be unemployed after Nier 2

If you take it off, will he die?

Kek, Inafune clearly wanted the same for himself, but he probably hates these games now that they show what he will never achieve.

Man…

I'd say to be a good designer, you need to design the game you would want to play. If you want to play it, other people will too. That's why AAA publishers are shit. The CEO's don't -want- to play video games. They just want profits.

I believe the Houser Brothers, the makers of the GTA series and founders of Rockstar, said something similar "We just make games we want to play"

Kamiya. Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives (predecessor to Sega 3D Classics Collection, Japan onry). Specifically Space Harrier 3D. As a fan of the original he is impressed by the quality of the port, and thinks it will make other fans of the game very happy and allow them to relive the memories they had of the original.

Keiichiro Toyama (director on Silent Hill 1, Siren, Gravity Cat). Dragon Age: Inquisition. Was initially only interested in the scenery art, but enjoyed it because he likes girls that get into fights. Liked that the girls didn't have an anime style or a western style, but were rugged and brave, while still being beautiful.

having played a huge variety of great games, I could never actually name just one that I really liked

But it honestly feels to me like 99% of these devs don't even fucking play videogames

What's the common opinion on games like Grand Theft Auto 5?

Haven't played it yet, but I feel like you shouldn't make sandbox worlds too big. Is it as good as the other games?
masterpiece related

R-Type is better

Grand Theft Auto is like a Pop Song, easy to pick up and play and catchy as fuck, but it gets old after playing it 20 times in a row

People will give you differing opinions on it, but I think most here can agree that everyone SHOULD play it at least once in their lives. You can fell how much effort they put into it, and that alone is something people can appreciate. The world is big, but its also fucking incredible to explore. Absolutely mind-blowing

Its the fastest selling piece of media in history, I'd say if you have a decent PC its worth pirating

It would be extremely unsanitary

nah.. more like phil fish
his company also

What is this racist shit? People from different cultures should not be allowed to engage in and enjoy the cultures of others. Worse than rape/10.

Sorta, see below.

Yes. There's a really weird dynamic wherein the hipsters of 2ch's Holla Forums equivalent absolutely loathe their native games and embrace titles like Skyrim and TLOU, shitposting and claiming them to be the greatest games ever made. Naturally, some of that mentality must leak over to the devs.

Here, it's the exact same, just a mirror image. The proud hipsters of Holla Forums shit all over their domestic mainstream titles and embrace a lot of niche and Japanese stuff.

Now you have to look at it from their perspective. Skyrim, for all the shit it deserves, did a good job of wrapping together a tight experience in a large world. I can't think of any nip games that compare. To them, your modern Bethesda shit must seem outright revolutionary - an RPG where you control a single person in first-person mode in a gigantic explorable world, gorgeous graphics compared to a lot of nip titles, questlines written by western writers that got their inspiration from the likes of D&D (something that never took off in Japan), tons of cool loot? Going into a cave just to explore it, kill whatever is in there, and take everything not nailed down, as opposed to grinding enemies to level for the next part of the game? Or just ignoring it altogether with no penalty and nothing really missed? That'd be fascinating to anyone who was raised solely on JRPGs.

Shit, that's probably the reason FO4 and Skyrim are so popular in our mainstream among casuals, they couldn't even imagine anything like it before they played it.

Based

I honestly would rather developers spend as much time as they can making their games while still having time to themselves. I don't expect them to work 80 hours a week or less than a couple of years just to produce something.

Because I know when they're rushing themselves to produce something. A video game will not turn out well. I understand there a deadlines to meet but developers shouldn't be working themselves to death.

Seriously, I rather wait five or more years for a video game than having some rushed piece of shit or an Early Access game. My life doesn't revolve around their one video game as a consumer.

Oatmeal cookie didn't have time to really play any games.

Ishiwatari Daisuke (Guilty Gear creator). Tropico 5. Starts of trying to make the best island he can, but always ends up turning it into a dictatorship.

Kodaka Kazutaka (Danganronpa's writer). The Evil Within. Thought the game did a great job at making the player feel uneasy. Says it rekindled his love for horror games.

Nagoshi Toshihiro (Yakuza series supervisor). None.

Uchikoshi Koutarou (Ever17, 999, Zero Escape series writer) Danganronpa Another Episode. "Because Komaru was cute"

So a guy likes previous games in a series and has a little too much faith, and the other guy has fun bonding with his nephews? This seems pretty benign.

yeah instead they just put surrealist goals and deadlines.

How about no

A programmer and a level designer for Ratchet and Clank 2 & 3 did it. Check out uselessopinions podcast.

It works like that almost about everything. There is a reason why "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" idiom exist.

Also,
Bullshit, just like in the West, people play Bethesda games with mods which is why people think that this game is interesting, even 8ch has threads about TES games where people admire it thanks to mods. And although you're not wrong about lack of equivalent, it has to be noted that Bethesda has no competition in this genre in the entire world.

I'd rather use better example such as CoD. Now this turd has a huge competition in the West while FPS genre isn't popular in Japan at all, at best you can get shitty Capcom third person shooter such as Umbrella Corps or RE6. The same thing can be said about sandbox games. At the same time the West praise muso or waifubait games which are pretty big because there is shitton of muso and waifubait games in Japan and no one is making such games in the West.

The truth is, just like the West is tired of countless western openworld/sandbox, RPGs and FPS games, Japanese are tired of countless JRPGs, musou or waifubait VN games. The same thing can be said about movies, food, daily life, society etc. Add to that ignorance about foreign countries which people consider perfect while disliking their own. There is nothing weird about it and such behavior was common for many years.

Holy shit, what? The PUBLISHER is the one who funds the game.

PRODUCERS are project managers who keep it all on track, on schedule, and on budget. Depending on the company, they may or may not have creative influence.

You're confusing producers in Hollywood for Producers in vidya.

You're the stupid fuck here, user.

Huh. That's weird. I write and play heavy metal music, and I'm the exact opposite: I'll happily listen to a good, simple metal song, and enjoy it. But if I ever wrote something that was as simple as some of the stuff I enjoy, I'd feel bad, like I didn't put enough effort into it.

Those guys all look like drug-using loser faggots. What the fuck is happening to Japan?

Just nuke my shit up

The same thing thats happening over in America, turning men into feminine betas

In a weird way they're still better looking and more masculine than our numale devs. At least they aren't SJW beta orbiters with problem glasses and beards to hide their weak jaws.

you know this just happens in your empty contrarian head, right?

That's just current men's fashion in Japan. They look like faggots. Not that different from men's fashion in the west, really.

Could you possible be more of a normalfag.

Not just them from even animu directors.

I think what is weird is that for all the shit about japs being xenophobic or whatever, they're quick to take our media to the point they even push out games, animu, and movies constantly with non-Japanese protagonists. How much western media by western devs can you name with Japanese protagonists?

Someone who worked on Republic commando did a playthrough.

You're comparing a single country with the entire western first world, though.

KILLYOURSELF

Ok then, how many can you name with eastern protagonists? It doesn't change either way since they're still quick to take to our movies, games, and media in general and praise it whether it be Korea, or China, or Japan or whatever else throughout Asia but we don't really do anything with them, not that we need to or anything but it sort of just fucks with the xenophobic argument among other things we criticise easterners for.

Hollywood has recently taken to trying to appeal to the Chinese market in particular by having Chinese people play a larger part in the story, or having chunks of the story filmed in China.

Do you drink coffee, beer, soda, or liquor? Congrats, you use drugs. You just use the worst pleb-tier ones.

Like what? I can't even name one and they aren't they protagonist, are they?

Fruit juice has natural alcohol in it too, even if it's negligible. I'm not sure why you added soda though.

Comparing the west to Asia is still not quite right. Japan is the Asian country that produces the most content of all the others, and even so it pales in comparison to the amount of content produced by the west. Obviously western stuff is going to have an influence in Japan because cultural differences are one thing but pretty much anyone can understand the appeal of a well-made movie or videogame. We have the internet, we live in an age of globalization and xenophobia is on the decline in Japan, especially when it comes to media because you cannot escape exposure to it unless you're some kind of recluse.

It's not that Japan is particularly in love with western things, it's that western things dominate the market and they're the most popular things around. "The west" is a big place with lots of cultures, but we all kinda like the same things because that's what's being marketed and Japan is no different.

If Surge isn't a drug, I don't know what is.

I drink my cough medicine for medical purpose, not to get high.

Like I said, drinks are pleb-tier. Any drug that isn't psychoactive isn't worth your time.

Something done by retards who don't know how to use what they have.

It's mostly pleb stuff, but Star Wars Rogue One is featuring 2 popular Chinese actors because The Force Awakens didn't do too well over there. Captain America Civil War had product placement for a phone brand that isn't even sold outside China (Vivo). Transformers, Age of Extinction is half filmed in Hong Kong, and has really overbearing sequences of the Chinese govt stepping in to help.

Any psychoactive is for faggots. If you drink soda because "It have drugs on it" you should kill yourself, honestly, you are doing humanity a favor.

The only drink I ever take is brandy.

It's exactly what I described: something that happens to retards. Avoiding chemical dependency is EZPZ.

Being able to numb your senses and still survive is a luxury and doing it is proof you're successful.

Drugs have fucked your brain already. Pretty much you only think that because you already numb your senses.

Well, at least you're not a pot smoker, r-right?

"No my dude, of course I'm not one of those retards"
Continue to justify please; it's entertaining.

You're lost as could be.

Who said that to you, your americunt media? Japanese xenophobia is not about hatred towards West, if anything, Japan's only enemy right now are gooks and chinks. When people, if we can consider lefties people, call Japan xenophobic, they mean that Japanese aren't tolerant toward retards who don't respect Japanese culture, society and want to change it as the want.

In the West it's fine to do whatever you want if you're foreigner, you don't need to speak English or learn more about country specific country culture. Moreover, in some retarded countries you're automatically becoming above its citizens and free to spread your shitty culture if you're "minority". Japanese on the other hand don't like when retards act like they're in their own home when in fact they're just guests because Japan isn't their country.

If you refuse to learn other country language and culture, you can go and fuck yourself because nobody should treat you as a worthwhile person and lefties are the worst kind of people. Too bad only very few countries treat foreigners like that and most of them are Asian.

What is really weird is how people realize that racism or bigotry are buzzwords which basically means "people who disagree with me are wrong" while still don't get it how racist japs are racist and at the same time consume Western culture and sometimes use Western themes in the media.

But that's not true, for example India produces more movies than anywhere else on the planet. Japanese actually does produce more games and animation by an overwhelming landslide than the rest of the world combined. It still does not change the fact that for decades now back when it was supposedly at the height of xenophobic. If anything, it seems the west is far more xenophobic and it makes us look bad at everything. I just look at the nice things the Japanese for example have to say about our games or other media and I just feel bad in comparison because they gave us all these lovable characters they created which not a single one being Japanese despite being Japanese themselves like Morimoto did but we've done literally nothing for them, nothing.

That shit is still around? I thought it went like those 3D Doritos.

This seems more like corporate or commie state propaganda than anything. I don't even remember the two you're talking about watching that and I'm sure neither do the vast majority of people so it essentially amounted to nothing.

Is that the only way you can think of things?

It isn't. Compulsion is, and it's psychological, but breaking it just requires you to not be a worthless weak-minded fuck. Nobody ever gets withdrawal from compulsion.

Classic soda drinker response.

Every thread, no matter the quality, be it shit or less shit, will be derailed by political neckbeards on both sides of the identity spectrum.

There is no other way, user. You would know if you didn't numb your senses as often, but you're probably retarded by so many brain cells alcohol already killed for you.
niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/alcohols-effects-body

Keep the denial up, fag, it's actually part of it. I bet you think you can stop whenever you want.

Fuck druggies of any kind.

Being unable to break a habit is not the same as having a chemical dependency. Withdrawal is real, and if you wouldn't experience it, you aren't addicted, you're just a nigger.

You'll still probably have a harder time as a white guy in Japan trying to find a job compared to a nip.

The content I was referring to was content that actually sees widespread success. How many of those Indian movies do people actually go to the cinema to watch on a regular basis? I'm sure Japan is the #1 producer of VNs, eroge, manga, anime and whatever else, but those things don't enjoy the success of something like a AAA western game or big Hollywood movie. And that success lets them promote similar content all over the world.

Personally I'm fine with the way things are. Yeah the japs don't get any representation in western games but who the fuck cares about representation aside from SJWs? Most AAA games are shit anyway.

Not a numale so no neckbeard but this happens every election on every board and has since halfchan 2008.

Holy fucking shit, Jap devs are massive casuals.
I always knew weebs were full of shit with their "Western games suck Japanese games are best" garbage.

SJW get out.

This might be hard for you asocial faggots to understand, but that question is really fucking awkward. Japanese devs have at least a passing acquaintance with each other, so when putting them on the spot like that it's better to default to games made by people you don't know at all. In this case, it's Western games because language barrier and all.

tl;dr - something about respect

Anytime someone says this, I always ask, "what games do you like, user" and then the whole board proceeds to laugh at their shit casual taste. So tell us, user. What games do you like?

Not really unless you don't know the language. However, it's better to learn it officially in school and not with Japanese animu games, preferably in Japanese one, this is the first and the most important thing you have to do if you want to work and especially live in Japan. You could also work as an English teacher or better if you know other Western language, less competition then.

Seconding this question.

Their entire country is full of yellow monkeys and tanned japs look like outright niggers.

And yet they make all these games if not the majority of their games featuring all these western main characters and themes. They know who is truly superior.

2007 happened. Japan felt the brunt of it as well.

Dwarf Fort, Wasteland, Shadow President, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., E.Y.E, Deus Ex, Quake, Doom, Rogue (the 1980 game) and Hitman among many others.

I do like some Japanese games, mind you. Zone of the Enders, Dead Rising and Silent Hill are some examples.
I'm just not a massive weeb who constantly has to shit on Western games to try and validate myself.

Relatively good taste
Would play vidya with

Which Quake(s)?

>tfw the weeb crowd won't even play NFL Blitz with me because it's not weeb enough
I love and hate having broad tastes.

Mostly the first game.
The second game was a step down and the third game was barely in the same genre Q3 ain't bad though. I cared about the campaign more than the multiplayer, so the fact Quake 1 was such a good game even without the MP makes Q3's total lack of a SP (BOT MATCHES ARE NOT SINGLEPLAYER) mode hurt even more.

Is not the same but it have the same effect, faggot, and that's keep consuming the same shit substance that is withering your body and mind, and deny that is happening.
Whether if it happens because of a chemical reaction or you being a dumb nigger is irrelevant, you're still consuming the substance and somehow think you're in control. Besides, you're being a nigger by just consuming it.

I know Todd Howard loves Ultima 8, and wants to make his games a lot like it. Or ultima 6, i forget which one.

I seriously hope not.
Ultima 8 was one of the worst Ultima games. The only one worse than it was Ultima 9.

False. Nobody ever gets the shakes, or crippling physical pain, from simply trying to break a compulsive habit. I worked in a rehab facility for years, I got to see it first-hand. Kill yourself, and take all other self-righteous straight-edge Christcucks with you.

Well judging by the M'lady look of the two faggots in the top they've been feeling it for decades.

They make video slot machines. They don't care about video games anymore. Seriously, I was staying at a resort/casino for a business trip and Konami had their brand on at least half the machines there. They probably make pachinko machines in Japan, too.

Well, it's the weekend. I can't be that shocked.

Didn't Japan recently heavily make laws relating to pachinko stricter?

Atlus then was fanfic levels of poor writing, it seems.

It was to make gambling legal again

Guess the silver lining is his favorite isnt ultima 9 then

Wouldn't it be Ultima Underworld? The Elder Scrolls always seemed like a (usually worse) attempt at doing UU.

Time to deinvest in Macau

It's probably a lie anyway

Kill yourself already. Also, if something I'm an edgy atheist, and your use of drugs goes against any common sense. But hey, your brain cells are dead so no shit.

Well Japan needs the gambling money for the Olympics

Oh wow, there's about five videos totaling 2.5 hours of commentary. Nice, I'll have to watch this later. I wonder why more devs don't do this.

I fail to see the problem.

They make you feel good and, if used properly, have no significant downsides.

This seriously makes me think you didn't work in any rehab, fag.

They never did, really. They just shat games for money, but they weren't so bad.

And I guess you also need to be someone who doesn't have "an addictive personality," which is just a polite way of saying that you're the kind of person who, say, buys microtransactions in games, or thinks that playing the lottery isn't a bad idea.

obviously you're not using them properly if you're praising their use on a mongolian cave drawing website

I was more going for mocking the "le straight edge drugs r bad & 4 loserz" types. I have problems, but they aren't because of drugs.

And R&C3's devs did it too, it's utterly fascinating. Some really neat work went into the game.

Sure. :3

ultima 7 was pretty bad too. last good ultima game was false prophet.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW