I'm a Linuxfag, but I have a Windows 7 partition I mainly use for games...

I'm a Linuxfag, but I have a Windows 7 partition I mainly use for games. I really don't want to install W10 as I'd have to be constantly fighting its own updates and settings for it not to fuck me over with constant spying and monitoring. However, it's the only OS with DX12.
This is important to me as I have a GPU that benefits greatly from DX12/Vulkan.

I'd much rather use Vulkan, of course, but I don't know how many games will support it. Will Vulkan be more available than DX12?

Other urls found in this thread:

udeproject.sourceforge.net
packages.debian.org/sid/mingw-w64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DX12 itself isn't even worth upgrading. I don't think either of them are largely used yet.

There will be no future PC games released worth playing anyway.
Couldn't care less about DirectX.

When Kronos gets the thumb out of their ass and actually starts helping all developers to implement it with better documentation and SDK tools instead of getting paid by AMD to travel and implement it because AMD wanted Doom's performance to be raised then telling everyone else to pay up or fuck off. Then yes, more devs will use Vulkan.

Till then. Most devs will use OGL 4.5 or DX11/12 because those have actual documentation on them.

Most games don't even support DX12 because the majority of Windows users still use 7. Upgrading is not worth your time and suffering. Really, the only point to upgrading for DX12 is for emulation, which has near equal if not inferior performance to Vulkan.

In principle yes, Vulkan will be available on more devices than DirectX. Any hardware supporting OpenGL ES 3.1 or OpenGL 4.0+ is stated to support Vulkan.

In practice, Vulkan support requires a graphics driver update. Good fucking luck trying to update systems with 3+ year old cards, old Optimus laptops with OEM-provided hybrid graphics drivers or 99.9999% of the Android ecosystem.

Remember those times, when you could install a DirectX upgrade on your existing Windows version.
And it came with driver updates for your old shit hardware.

Devs will use Vulkan for the same reasons they use OpenGL4 instead of DirectX9: it's on everything. You can release on anything instead of just the dying platform that is B01NET 10.

What game do you play that supports DX12? Is a couple of FPS in that game worth win10?

Ignore DX12 and it will go away not really, normalfags will eat it up and help MS bury Vulkan like they did with OpenGL

Some games already use Vulkan but they are not that many.

Considering Vulkan can be used in more platforms, it will likely be used at least as much as DX12.

Vulkan is the replacement of OpenGL.

You have to be absolutely retarded to bother with DX12, selling your game on Windows Store is not worth it unless you want to lose money or if MS pay you for that. Even if you make both DX11 and DX12 versions it would be a waste of money and time. Vulkan has more chances to be successful even without better documentation simply because it's available for Windows versions since 7 and Linux systems.

Just like they ate Rise of the Tomb Raider UWP version, right? Bullshit, SE could get better sales on the fucking GoG. No one is touching this piece of shit, I don't think that even MS studios do, you don't need DX12 if you want to make your game exclusively to Windows 10, that's why UWP exist.

Vulkan is going to overshine DX12. It is an open standard that can be used on Linux, OS X, iOS, Android, and Windows.

Unless the developer is mentally retarded and is making a game for only Windows+Xbox, then most if not all developers will use Vulkan. It is much easier and less time consuming to develop and optimize for 1 API.

Why do you prefer Linux?
Even as a daily driver it's still so much worse. You can't manipulate things nearly as easily on windows and shit like window snapping and quickly managing them is awful. Even OSX with it's weird dock is easier to move around in. I tried a tiling window manager on Linux and it was kind of cool but it would always fuck up in certain ways that would require a reboot.

Vulkan is incredibly expensive to develop for in it's current form with lack of SDK and documentation. Needs cards from the last 3-4 years for actual benefits (GTX 500 and 7000 series onwards). Only useable on flagship mobiles. Useless for the majority of that market, useless for laptops. Useless for anything but high end gaming. Vulkan is a shit API that overpromised everything and only delivered in one game because AMD paid for it.

Of course M$ and Botnet 10 is shit. You are just fooling yourself if you think the Vulkan shills are also selling you the messiah you fucktaard.

Oh and Sony has told developers there's no chance in hell they are supporting Vulkan when they already have a lower level than VK API on their console already.

So console makers have told them to fuck off and they have an API without decent documentation that costs extra money and time to implement that's being shilled only because "It's not M$".

It's just like the old days with Glide and D3D

Welcome to PC Gaming you fucking newfag neo-PC Gamer scum. Stick your dicks into the socket of your youtuber branded i5/970 meme "rigs" you niggers

lmao nigger, you think DX12 doesn't also require new tech?

Seems like all of the games that were W10 exclusive were only exclusive because they were only in the uwp file format. They didn't actually use DX12 and it was trivial for the devs to get the games working on 7/8.

So right now no one is using DX12 but maybe Microsoft will go out of there way to get devs to use DX12 and still release their games on Steam. If that happens some normalfags will definitely switch to W10 for the game but devs are usually going to get more money from releasing their game on past OSs as well instead of just taking Microsoft's money.

because it isnt a fucking botnet

wew. just use a standard de

I never said anything about Dick X 12. Vulkan would have been shit even if Dick X 12 didn't exist

It's just a phase. Like being at college and being edgy. Usually fells together with the habit of playing vidya.
Once you're getting older and got a job you uninstall Linux (and vidya) and get on with your life.

Don't use a tiling WM unless you like it that way. KDE, Cinnamon, and XFCE are great starting points for Linux DEs.

I use Linux for its CLI utilities, programming capability, package managers, customizability, lower likelihood of malware, lower tax upon my PC relative to Windows, greater transparency, and better update management.

they're all shit compared to windows or osx. Awful.

DirectX 12 is a poor meme.

It is an old version of Mantle which is exactly a worse version of Vulkan.

Games being ported from Xbox One to the Windows Store might use DirectX 12.

There is no legitimate reason at all for a developer to use DirectX 12 over Vulkan.

You won't see many games supporting DirectX 12.

If I'm doing anything related to work, i3 is great. If I'm doing anything with games, I usually switch to xfce or something similar. But if I didn't have to switch so often, I'd stay in i3. It's fantastic.

Wait, does this mean there's a chance to pirate Killer Instinct and play on W7?

Words cannot describe your faggotry.

Or yours.

I said it was cool, retard. Still inferior.

About a decade behind in UI. Terrible in comparison to windows and osx.

That is the only reason to use Linux that isn't a lie.

Is it a decade behind or a decade ahead? udeproject.sourceforge.net
:^)

I don't think you knew what you were doing

Except that Windows is the better development environment with much more mature toolchains. In 2016 nobody gives a fuck about CLI.
Heck, even streaming games from Linux is a nightmare.

I use Linux for work. It's much easier for programming than Windows.

Why do these retards who obviously have zero idea what they're talking about even bother posting?

keks

To trigger people who do know what they're talking about.

(you)

Try doing serious game development on Linux, freetard. Or anything else than hacking the kernel for the sake of it.

What's serious game development faggot?
Dragging and dropping Unreal Engine templates and asset store items onto the screen?

If by terrible you mean that you cannot make some changes through GUI you are right. But on the other hand this is great thing, tech illiterates will educate themselves or perish/ stop doing retarded things thanks to lack of knowledge.

It's clear you know nothing. Go away, faggot.

Wasn't developed on Linux.

All your rant can be reduced to "it's new", OpenGL is a fucking mess and ended up being used globally, so nothing says Vulkan may not follow the same trend, it's just a matter of time.
Glide could be compared to what Mantle was, I believe Vulkan was also based on it, but it's completely agnostic.

You can do pretty much anything, and compile it for even Windows using mingw.

You have absolutely no clue about game development.

Where's your game?

You have absolutely no clue about anything development.

A-user, I…

Mingw runs on Linux and can compile Windows executables. I did some SDL2 stuff and runs fine.

That user may have misspoke but it's definitely possible to cross-compile and target Windows from many different open source game frameworks.

That was a good one!

Yes, I know that much. But mingw as far as I was aware was a development environment on Windows rather than *nix-based environments. At least, that's the only way I've used it.

See above. Totally possible to compile SDL applications for cross-platform building. Also Linux makes it way easier to build for ARM devices. I should probably see if I can do anything with the Olimex board I have gathering dust.

Just stop posting, you're making a real fool out of yourself.

mingw is shit, I strongly recommend you avoid it

Just ask yourself, why it's gathering dust.

Go back to Facebook!

I don't see MS burying Vulkan any time soon.

Go on?

Nobody gives a shit about running Windows on ARM, hence devs don't really give a shit about ARM tooling on windows.

Getting toolchains for different archiectures is easy if they exist in the public. Once you have the appropriate toolchain, you can just tweak some build commands to use the specific compiler, and build like normal instead of needing to have special snowflake IDEs for everything you do. As opposed to Windows, where I'm not really sure how to even get ARM development up and running. Code::Blocks is what GP2X developers used for a while, I think.

I mean, I don't use it for actual productivity. I used it for school when I was testing something, and then said fuck it and installed Linux.

Well, it was gathering dust because I was a retard and didn't know how to port shit. I mean, I'm still a retard and can't port shit, but maybe this time I'll be able to find some documentation to help. I'd like a gpsp port for that board, since one exists for RPi and other assorted devices. Otherwise it was neat to use for the original Rogue and it could chug along and run Wesnoth, albeit not perfectly. Playable though.

As the "Maybe" option for PC devs after they finished the DX8/9 version. Over ten years after it released.

Kill yourself

Vulkan's doing a great job of burying itself without Microshit since Apple made their own API. And none of those partners have done anything with it. AMD paid to do that Doom port.

Kronos Group shills will take anything though. A revolutionary API that's completely fucking shit unless the devs handhold you. Brilliant. YEAR OF LINUX GAMING IS HERE!

For fucks sake anons, mingw runs NATIVELY ON LINUX: packages.debian.org/sid/mingw-w64
It's pretty much a compiler targeting Windows, not just a GCC port for Windows.

I installed i3gaps on my laptop and it's really nice… I probably don't have all the efficient keyboard shortcuts down, but it's really nice being able to arrange your windows in a specific way that helps your workflow (plus I made it look kinda nice). I would probably use one on my desktop if there was a decent free one for Windows…

Both dx12 and vulkan will only improve game performance in theory. A better api does not inherently mean that games utilizing that api will actually perform better than games that do not.
Performance will always boil down to how well the developer optimizes their code, and how long they spend actually fixing bugs.
Look at any fucking recent game, most AAA games run like fucking dog shit unless you have "top of the line" hardware, and even then only passably when they're not crashing or bugging out.
If developers cut corners with vulkan and dx12 like they did for opengl and dx11 while ignoring the game breaking bugs, then games will still perform like shit. I wont shell out a single shekel until I see this trend change.

Obviously. Likewise, a shovel won't dig better than your hands if you try to dig with the handle.
The point is Vulkan/DX12 yield better results than OGL/DX11 with less effort/provide a higher ceiling for improvements (given devs have all the documentation).

Sorry, how is this related? Usually, performance optimizations aren't called BUGS if the game does what it intends to do, but does it shittily.

I hate to be that guy but that right there is exactly why Linux is such a pitifully tiny amount of the market share. Normalfags don't want to have to become tech literate so you either give them a user friendly option or they fuck off to someone who does. Nor would you want everybody to become tech literate, because then many of us would be out of a job.

It's kind of funny if you think about it, every time Microsoft tried to do their walled garden bullshit on the PC they've failed. Look at how terrible GFWL was.

Explain, because what you've just said is the exact same thing as saying 'it's fun' without explaining why.

It'd help a lot as OpenGL is a clusterfuck. There is almost a OS now between that API and the hardware on Nvidia/AMD cards. People seem to believe there's just a slight mismatch there or that there's a fast path that maps to the hardware but it's much more like an emulator.

Not the guy you're replying to but the GPU debugging tools suck hard compared to the ones for Windows+D3D. Much better than the Apple tools for OpenGL though, so it was a step up for us.

On my personal computer I've gone back to Windows, mainly to learn D3D12 and the tools blow away everything I've used before.

Things on Linux are about to get a lot better, working on AAA Linux games gives us early access to certain things.

ah yes, i had a lot of trouble with The Linux Desktop Environment™

go back to reddit, you don't belong here despite whatever the fuck convinced you. every single word of your posts just screams "i migrated from reddit just now"

Just like how MSVC fully supports C++11, right?

And that's why MC based most of W10 on Plasma? Niggah please. Every time I go back to windows I'm wondering why everything looks and performs like shit. Linux DEs can be as basic or as futuristic as you want. I personally just like a few minor mouse gestures and virtual desktops. To even get proper desktop icons on windows I hate to fucking pirate some 3rd party software. Even though I'm probably a faggot for even using desktop icons but windows search bar doesn't always pick up everything I want.

We never gave a shit about normalfags. Why start now?

Linux is used a lot out of normalfag desktops. Just about everything banking, military and science related is done on a customised variant. My local library wasted a ton of tax money on windows computers and now they have to close the whole thing midday for over and hour for extended staff breaks. They also payed for heavy handed virus protection and censoring software (that censors 8ch, wiki leaks etc). If they just fucking got some cheap hardward and installed a lightweight distro across all of them with an admin who isn't a retard they could've saved a lot of money and make the machines less terrible. They use windows XP btw. This shit needs to change.

The one 'totally real you guys' dx12 & win10 exclusive became a regular win7 dx11 game not too long ago.

Depends on the DE. I use MATE (which is just GNOME before it went to shit) and it's hard to go back to Windows after using it.

And that's what happens when you try to talk about operating systems on Holla Forums.

I would love it if Vulkan became the default API so I could move away from Windows onto Linux.

But it's not going to happen.
If you are a dev you look at the user base and the expense.
While vulkan has more users, it's insignificantly different as most people use windows.
Vulkan is also a lot more expensive to develop for since it lacks the documentation and support that microsoft provides.

Those two factors together mean that DX12 is the obvious choice, at least for now.

you and i both know you're lying

vulkan will become way more popular than dx12. Dx12 is exclusive to win10 meaning it's irrelevant to the majority of desktop gamers. not only that but most game consoles can't use Dx at all which is why OpenGL, despite being a complete mess, was so successful. Even if Vulkan isn't as good as Dx12, it will still be way more used than it and drown it out as long as it makes creating and porting games to different platforms easy.