Keep hearing about this through my whole childhood

I don't get it

Hype not even once. Generally you should do some cursory research before jumping into older games too.

The games you're comparing it to didn't exist yet.

so?
Does a year of difference mean that people know how to write better stories?

tl;dr: FF7 is responsible for bringing Final Fantasy to the west and massively popularizing RPGs. Now fuck off.

You just grew up bad. With no dad to guide you, but just tv and vidya, you weren't able to develop proper good taste and now all you can do is shit around like a pigeon. A two dollar cynical millennial who prefers modern gaming to the classics is truly a life not worth living.

Just you wait for the pozzed remake and you'll be fine, fuck this old crap.

How can you even possibly compare the two? They're completely different stories about different things and for different Target Audiences.
It just meant that you're part of 8's TA and not 7's.

TA?

That's because you're a dumbass.

What the hell is going on…

What a dumbass nigger. Everyone point and laugh at him.

Don't!

Pretty shit thread you got here, OP.

Too late nerd, you've been bullied.

Its the first 3d ff game, also the first ff where your playable love interest died.

I don't even hate FF8. As a matter of fact I like most FF games 8 included, but holy fuck.

Bro, 7>9>8, that's pretty much a fact.

not really, just my personal opinion, I really like most FF and feel like the PS1 might have been the serie's golden age, I have played them all when I was really young and having replayed them (and replaying them somewhat regularely), I still believe 7 was the best of them, but the discussion of "which one is the best" never really ends, and everyone having wildly different opinions on it, the only real thing everyone settles is that if you like one of them you probably would like the other 2. There's a lot of "7 a best", "7 is overrated 8 is the best", and "don't forget 9 exists guys 9 a best" guys.

Can you not into inferring from the prior sentence or something? Fucking hell.

We share board space with this guy.

What's funny is that Square ripped the part where Aerith dies straight out of phantasy star 2 and 4 and yet you still have knuckle dragging fanboys that to this day suck Squares dick violently and swear upon it's name that FF7 is the greatest jrpg EVAR!

7 was just okay.

[spoiler]except tifa's jiggle in the prerendered cut scenes.
that shit was revolutionary to a 15 year old male.[/spoiler]

Balam garden is the best part of ff8

I replay that part countless times because how awesome it is

Fuck off cuckchan

Except Aerith was your romantic interest, while Nei and whatever name had that bitch from PS4, were sister figures, younger and older respectively.
My favourite is PS3 though.

>THEN she dies

That game is evil. God I love it. FF7 is still better though.

I have met exactly three people in my 28 years of life that have said that, and you are one of them.

PS4 is objectively the best 16 bit era jrpg.

FFVI is better

I would agree, although IV was also special.

TRIPS

I really loved both FF4 and FF6, but I wouldn't even argue that, PS4 absolutely blew my fucking mind, when I killed the edgy dark death evil man (I don't even remember how he was called) I remember to be all satisfied and thinking the game was going to end, but there was still SO much more of the game left. The vehicles with the super monsters, the weird names for the spells, space traveling, the unorthodox characters like that weird loli android (I don't remember what her deal was but man did she got me puzzled, she had a ridiculous exp requirement for level up or something like that?), PS4 was just a huge trip, I really got to replay it some day.

Zio.

[spoilers]Classic spoilers do work here now, actually. It's the only way to do [spoilers]spoilers[/spoilers] within spoilers.[/spoilers]

What the shit, were they removed?

Phantasy Star IV is still my favorite JRPG to this day. In fact, it's about time for my yearly playthrough. Thanks for the reminder.

That guy, I remember grinding a lot on his fortress to be able to kill him so I thought he was THE final boss.

I feel like playing it again now too.

Just idiotic people make fun of squall and that shit games mechanics it doesn't even have materia, 'draw points' what does that even mean?

C'mon son.

There are a fair amount of rom hacks out there too I believe. I wonder if any of them are worth trying.

You have to grind in that game anyway otherwise monsters will just kick your ass. They get very easy after a few levels though.

I played 7 for the first time last year and it was my goty for 2015. Sephiroth was way different than I expect. I thought he was going to be a prettyboy edgelord but he was a prettyboy with mummy issues.

Forgot to add pictures before.

I like JRPGs, I pretty much like to grind as long as it's well done, I remember that a really cool cyber sword dropped when I was grinding to kill that guy for example.

Man that was a cool game.

To be fair, you would probably would have mommy issues too if your mom was an ayy lmao.

No, you just wrote [spoilers] instead of [spoiler]. it's gotta be singular
Like [spoiler]this if I remember correctly[/spoiler]
No one uses them anymore though because there's no practical point to nested spoilers and asterisks are so much easier to type and if you fuck them up you don't get accused of being a newfag.

Unless they did in fact remove them, which I don't recall ever seeing any notice of since I last tried using the old way months ago.

Okay it looks like the tags themselves still work but nested doesn't, I guess that explains why I haven't seen anyone use that in like over a year.

make me

PS4 felt too casualised, cartoony and light-hearted after grandiouse, grim and difficult-to-approach PS3.
But holy shit 4's production values put most 2D PS1 jrpgs to shame.

FF8 was fun, but lorewise it is some teens doing whacky shit.
FF7 has a much better story and environment.