Is Japan superior not only in quantity but also in quality regarding Medieval Fantasy games?

Is Japan superior not only in quantity but also in quality regarding Medieval Fantasy games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_martial_arts_films
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Quality would be hard since Japan still hasn't managed decent gameplay even when ripping off the west. I mean, take Souls for example, a ripoff of an old superior western game Severance, yet Severance still plays far better mechanically.

Quantity obviously not but since you're underaged you probably missed most western fantasy (that your beloved nips then tried to copy).

Alright, list some good western fantasy games that doesn't include dice rolls and weren't made by japs.

Hard mode: were made by burguers or europoors turkey is not europoor

Why the fuck is Japan so interested in European Medieval settings?

Wheres Skyrim OP? Its the best game ever made.

At least someone understood my point.

Get out, Todd.

The grass is always greener.

why wouldn't be medieval europe be interesting?
It has knights and shit.
plus it's foreign and exotic. kindfa like how we always based off Japen in the 80's and 90's.

If that were the case then where the fuck are the western games that take place in Feudal Japan?

Sci-fi movies? We just used Tokyo as a backdrop because it was convenient and Tokyo was "Blade Runner town" but we didn't make shit explicitly based in Japan in any particular time frame

That's what I wanna know.

This.

Honestly the only game I can think of is total war. I can only even think of a handful more about China too, Western games seem to just stay entirely away from all of Asia.

I'm thinking how ninjas and martial arts were the huge craze back then.

Nope

Don't know about ninjas, but Martial Arts were mainly from chinese, take Jackie Chan and Jet Li as pop examples. I can be wrong tho

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_martial_arts_films

I grew up in the late 80's and early 90's. Back then, and thanks to the popularity of the Ninja Turtles ninjas were all over the damn place.

At least it felt that way.

Shittons of it came out of America just as Japan was opening up to Western culture, and it's exotic and varied and has lots of room for any old weird shit you can think of.

Age of Empires and such? Though even then they tend not to have much Asian focus, Mongols aside.

Most Japanese games with a European setting are more like the Renaissance, not the Medieval period. Well, I guess medieval Byzantium was kind of like that.

Not trying to derail the thread or anything, but why are the Byzantines rarely, if ever, talked about in American schools? They were one of the most important empires in history, yet they're treated as little more than a foot note. At least they were when I was in school.

There's ya problem.

So are most European games with a 'medieval' setting, including D&D. Half the time it's basically the Renaissance minus guns plus dragons.

Gotta free up more space for all the holocaust propaganda.

We collectively spent 1 year and a half on holocaust shit in high school. Our History class and our English class in 10th grade was almost exclusively dedicated to it.

Gothic and Thief.

American public schools don't really teach anything about history outside of the US and the stuff they do teach about is Colonialism + WW1+ WW2 the six million!. US history is pretty threadbare too.

more like minus guns plus spells that are functionally identical to guns

Jap devs tend to be the best at moment to moment gameplay, while the West is usually stronger in lore, world building and design, that sort of thing.

I'll give you that the west at its best designs games with deeper and more solid mechanics, but saying the lore and world building is stronger isn't exactly true. Tit for tat, you could find examples of good and bad world building and lore on both sides.

I don't know man take a guess.
You can even take 6 millions

It's because most devs in the west seem to be motivated entirely by profit and just want to follow the trend. Obviously every game developer wants to make profit so they can eat but development is the west declined greatly in recent years, most devs just wanted to shit out modern military cod clones or whatever else was trendy at the time and most of the budget and effort goes into marketing rather than making something new or unique. It's recovering now but AAA pretty much took over the industry in the west for a while with little to no mid size budget games coming out and with most stuff that did release, they focused on dumbing it down for the new casual audience rather than improving well loved formulas.

Japanese games often seem to have more passion and effort put into them than most AAA shit from the wes,, sure you get trash from Japan too but I enjoyed shit like MGR, Dragon's dogma and Dark souls more than most western games that released in the last few years. The west has it's gems too and the smaller scale developers are starting to pop up again now that the AAA bubble is starting to pop but the industry has been shit for a while in the west and has mostly focused on trying to chase the popular trend of modern military shooters and multiplayer shit.

Outside of The Witcher, what good medieval/fantasy games has the west put out in the last 9 years?

I guess we could pretend Turkey is part of the West and say Mount and Blade.

Nice try Edrogan

Morrowind, Daggerfall, Severance, and Ultima 7 are infinitely better than any of those.

The medieval hype died out in early 2000's, after the release of Oblivion. Back in the 80's-90's, like 99% of all western RPG games had medieval/fantasy setting. People just get bored.

I don't even like any of those games. They're all shit.

Gothic 3 with all the community patch was great.

I mean things like combat. The best fighting, beat 'em up/character action games/whateveryouwanttocallthem are done by Japs.

Another thing is the quality of their animations are snappier and actually seem to have weight to them, just compare Dragon's Dogma and Souls games to the shit Bioware and Bethesda put out. Even Kingdom's of Amalur doesn't really come close.

I've recently gone back to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and noticed just how bad the game has aged because of this. Uncharted is a series that always got praise for the way it looks, but seeing it now feels like the characters are skating on ice. Meanwhile Demon's Souls, or even much older stuff like MGS1 somehow still hold up.

when will weebshits ever learn

Nigger the Souls games are just the evolution of King's Field. The first of which game out in 1994. They just moved the camera to third person and added a roll.

The japs never made an action combat as satisfying as Severance, Jedi Knight, FEAR, or GTA IV. Jedi Outcast and Academy's saber and force combat are still the best melee fighting mechanic ever designed.

If we're not talking about RPG, then GTA IV still has better animation than anything the japs have pulled out. Severance has some solid animations for 2001 standard. CoD 1 and 2's guns and hit animations don't feel floaty at all.

Animation lags piece of shit. I can give you souls, but I hate DD's hit animation lag. It does give weight in the sense to the combat, but it's cheap and looks like shit.

Are you shitting me? They literally have nothing in common. One is a dungeon crawler RPG in vein of Ultima Underground, the other one is a theme park hack and slash. Souls does have much more in common with Severance, but even Severance is still better at giving a dungeon crawler vibe by giving you scarce items and complex level design. Souls is just a casual hack and slash game.

Why am I always furiously mashing buttons like a 12 year old when playing WRPGs? No thanks.

God these threads are so pointless.

You've got the weebs that will defend japanese games to death, and the westaboox that basically only play spreadsheed simulators on PC shitting on japanese games to death.

There's no dialogue, no exchange of ideas, no actual argumentation, just two dumbass hooligans slapping each other in the balls.

We've had this conversation a million times before and nobody ever changed their opinion or was even remotely enriched in any way from anything that has ever been said in these threads, it's the definition of two echo chambers striking each other and then they just go their separate ways.

Gigantic fucking waste of time.

are you retarded?
the only good thing GTA has is the gun combat

it's shitty trolling if you actually put effort into it, autismo ;)

Agreed, I hate them all. Someone should make a game with a combination of good combat, spreadsheet, dialogs and choice system, world manipulation, and exploration. Morrowind is close to being perfect balance between all of those aspects, but the combat animation is shit.

It has a lot more than gun combat. There's nothing more satisfying than running over pedestrians and bikes with your car in GTA IV.

I know how to make a perfect rpg.

You call a polish producer, japanese story writer, drunk russian level designer, american voice actors and koreans to make multiplayer portion of it.

And they make a game together on cry engine.

They suck ass. Russian writers and voice actors are the best. I mean, they got Tarkovsky and STALKER.

Am I being trolled? Not only is that a trash example, it's not even the best in the series. San Andreas had much more fluid and faster movement, and didn't take the character a whole 2 hours to get up after being knocked down. GTA has become a clumsy and clunky mess ever since IV.

As for the Jedi games, I don't know what to tell you besides go play a Ninja Gaiden game. Vanquish was also a fantastic shooter, but that's mostly the West's territory and Japs make very few of those.

Gee lad…

suddenly, live japanese band plays irish jigs and reels

that would be the shittiest game ever made

The animations and movement look stiff as shit. Stiffer than Vice City. The shooting is garbage in that game for the same reason.

DMC clones are not even comparable to Jedi Outcast. They're revolved around making stupid combos while Jedi Outcast is more about precision and improvisation, which allows a lot of different playstyles.

Looks like shit. And yeah, I think it looks very japanese.

try to make a game where some twat half bald pulls his sword of the sheath and then slash once, does all kinds of RIDICULOUS POSES AND ineffective FOOTWORK, then puts that sword back in, and it between its a bunch of angst about who's lord has the biggest cock. Hm thats quite an accurate depiction of samey-murals.

No dipshit. YOU'RE done here, little bitch.

I'll give you that San Andreas hasn't aged perfectly, but it's the tightest-feeling GTA game of the series. You must be talking about IV or V.

Ninja Gaiden is by no means a DMC clone. Ninja Gaiden does have several attack strings, but the core of NG's gameplay is entirely about precise movement and management of enemies, since they're very aggressive and can't be beat with a "run towards enemy and press square to win" playstyle. The only similarity is that both NG and DMC have over the top fighting animations and combos. While Jedi Outcast and Academy is nice, it just sounds like you dislike any sort of game with melee combat unless it feels more like a shooter with how it handles overall. Also no game truly is about improv unless it's a Jackie Chan movie simulator, and precision is a buzzword in this context considering that you're not primarily making small swipes or thrusts in any game with a lightsaber, but large sweeps and acrobatic movements.

our last 3 years in literature and history was basically shitting on turks
also rate my shitty OC i don't have my tablet with me right now, so it looks a lot worse than it could have been

No, because they're all shitty JRPGs.

Because it feels stiff? Enemies in SA barely give any feedback when getting shot.

Niko's movement is a bit clunky, but everything else is perfect. Also, clunky is not stiff.

It plays like DMC, it's a DMC clone.

Okay, I got you. But still, playing Jedi Outcast with

Then I don't know how else I should call it.

No, it's just DMC clones feel much more "limited" in their combat mechanics than Jedi Outcast or Severance. Jedi Outcast and Severance allow a lot of experimentation or whatever you call it if it's not improvisation, while Ninja Gaiden type games, Dark Souls, and Japanese action games in general feel like simon says.

I played an RTS on my computer about 10 or 15 years ago that was called hero something I think, and you played as a Japanese guy that went to villages and helped them fight off samurai or some shit, I cant remember the name for the life of me

I like it. Be sure to shitpost with it in /gsg/ threads.

Nothing matters because dwarf fortress exists and it's at a level so far beyond other games it's like anyone who hasn't played it has an opinion that is worthless. Like you.

I should report you for being a dumb ass nigga but that's not a legit reason

Worthless is your contradiction right there, faggot.

People have been beggin for Ubisoft to make an Ass Creed in Japan but that has not happened

Probably wouldn't even be good anyway

Because other than finger sacrifices their medieval history is boring as fuck.

What's a recent game made in the west that aspires to creating beauty rather than a grim reflection of reality? When is the last time a western game made cute girls instead of checklist approved feminist hogwash?

because everything loves pay2win microtransactions, right?

Sounds like the beginning of Battle Realms.

Japan is superior at everything. Dark Souls have proven that much.

but dice rolls are the best system

This is why i don't discuss shit with nippophiles. Dragon's Dogma is fucking awful. Every aspect of the game is bad: the characters, the story, the combat, the balance. The worst part of the game is easily how piss-easy it is; it's obviously designed to be a power trip game. Just about every blue/yellow class is hilariously broken offensively while being almost entirely risk-averse, and blast arrows compound yellow classes brokenness even further. The red classes are little fun, but they suck ass and the problem gets 10X worse when you get to BBI (you may as well just play a yellow class when fighting Daimon because you will spend all your time climbing him because your abilities are useless). Here's a lesson: Don't trust nippophiles when it comes to the quality of jap games, because they will like it simply because it's jap. Do some extra research yourself or you will get burned like I did with Dragon's Dogma.

It is the worst how so many of the best lore games in Japan never get a western release but western lore is pathetic. The Japanese at least have honour to almost never retcon meanwhile the west does it like nothing, not to mentioned all the shoehorned propaganda in western writing. This is also why anime and manga is far more popular than western animation and comics. It is also interesting to note that the Japanese are even less xenophobic when it comes to lore because it has such a wide range of cultures and characters meanwhile the amount of games made by western devs set in Japan or having Japanese characters is, well?

Western devs are going this way too and you know it despite saying for years that they will never start microtransactions and doubting that "full" 60 euro games would have microtransaction bullshit in them, Who is laughing now? All the western games being forced into F2P because it generates so much more shekels is so hilarious.

Can confirm i know nothing about byzantines. In total war stainless steel mod i know they always started off as the most powerful faction and stayed like that for much of the game. That's as far as my knowledge takes me.

All you need to know is that their Military sucked and they had to beg for Europe's knights to do all the job. After that they got fucked by both Knights and Mudslimes.

Not really though japs are good with dungeon crawlers.

their military didn't suck, they relied on mercenaries because they could afford them, they were always at war and were very productive so they conserved their manpower.