Are there any non-fantasy text adventures that I should play?

Are there any non-fantasy text adventures that I should play?
Are there any good text adventures at all?

I remember someone posting about this 15$ cyberpunk text adventure, but fuck paying that much for text

Other urls found in this thread:

cabrerabrothers.com/cypher.html
ifarchive.org/
ifcomp.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just read fanfiction

You mean Va-11 Hall-A? That's a visual novel rather than a text adventure, though you can look into VNs if that tickles your fancy. I remember a game called Neo Scavenger which is a post-apocalyptic roguelike largely driven through text rather than graphics.

I dont know if you count this as text adventure but I just finished 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors on the DS and it was pretty incredible.

No, not Valhalla.
I don't like VNs, I just want a very interactive game through text, VNs are just too linear

Do you just want interactive fiction? There are a few IF games that aren't complete garbage.

I'm looking for something more traditional.
Zork like but not so boring and with better writing

I can't seem to find what IF is

bump

I vaguely remember a flash one based on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but that's about it. Its hard to find non-fantasy TAs that aren't shit.

the first Leisure Suit Larry took text commands
Zork is a classic
Colossal Cave Adventure is one of the best though it's fantasy
just look up a list of infocom text adventure games

OP might mean Cypher. I'd say it is worth 15 usd, but you can also find a torrent of it.
cabrerabrothers.com/cypher.html

Yes, that one
I can't seem to find a torrent of it anywhere though

Shadowgate

looks interesting, I'll try it

ifarchive.org/
ifcomp.org/

zeek the geek

This is pretty well all you need to get started. Most of the higher rated ones are actually better.

Depression Quest

You know, I've thought about making a little platform where you do one-on-one text adventures with a live GM.

The player gets nothing but a text prompt. The GM gets a basic UI for things like showing where exits are, and what items are present. These create text blurbs that are passed to the player in one go - GM would, say, type a simple description, click buttons for N/S/E/W to indicate exits, select dropdowns for predefined items, and has a display showing player HP/MP/items. That's it - leave it simple, just some minimal scripting for items, movement, and combat (if you even want combat).

A GM gives flexibility that a text parser could never have, can create stories on the fly, and would have as much fun as the player. You could keep it super srs, or make it silly, all up to you.

Would this be online?
I don't think anybody has the patience to follow through with this

Yes, online.

Think of it as a slightly more complex omegle, if you will. Old /tg/ used to flood omegle with custom text adventures now and then, it was always a good time.

Why not just play a TTRPG with any chat program?

The point is text-based adventures, not tabletop.

But why? Need an additional interface to restrict the players in order for them to feel less icky about being nerds?

what's it take to make one?

BEat me to it

Read books instead retard.

best Dostoyevsky

lol books are for nerds and virgins

thats true, but then what are imitation books for?

Books don't allow me to interact with them

yeah they do, you open the book and turn the pages. your imagination is stimulated by language & you imagine the scenes you read about while reading them. plenty of interaction.

Not story interaction.
It's like saying you prefer playing Call of Duty to Deus Ex
What are you some kind of retard?

That's exactly the same plot as johnny mnemonic.

Just download everything infocom ever made.