So, i am going to install Baldur's Gate 1, 2, Dragonspear and Icewind Dale

So, i am going to install Baldur's Gate 1, 2, Dragonspear and Icewind Dale.

All ENHANCED EDITION

How fucked i am? Just tell me if those versions are shit, or playable, since i kinda want my BG to be open full screen, and this is my first try on those games.

1-Dragonspear is shit, unstinstall it

2-Everything else is fine

3-You need the lastest version of the EEs because they start out buggy as fuck and then got patched into being good

I am using gog versions for linux. Why dragonspear is shit? Its not an old expansion or what?

Dragonspear

If it's original and updated, you're fine.
If it's pirated, you need to make sure it's a recent version.
Dragonspear is a new expansion made by Beamdog, the guys that handled all these EE.
They're ok at making the EE (after patching them) but any and all original content they shit out is absolutely horrible, the new characters they added in the EE of BG1 and 2 are terrible, for example.
So an entire expansion made of their original content is predictably shit.
Just avoid it.

By the way THANK FUCKING GOD for saying that.
This is how you can spot a person on Holla Forums that actually played these games instead of parroting other people opinions, you can still enjoy BG games for what they are without putting the story, characters and dialogues on a pedestal, even back in the day they were really nothing special, only a very small number of characters and situations during BG1 and 2 truly stand out.
They're still good games, but their writing is like an entry level stock D&D session for new players to ease them into the genre.

Okay, but i won't uninstall it anyway, since its stuck with original installation of Enhanced Edition. And added some shit to the main EE as well, like few portraits, darker UI and different main menu.

I won't play dragonspear itself, got it.

BG 2.5.0.7
ID 2.1.0.4
BG2 2.6.0.10

Where the fuck to check version i don't know, but seems fine.

Maybe i shouldn't even try to play some crpg then, if they are that shit as you are saying.

They're not shit, BG games just have simple writing and a simple setting, they're entry level and don't pretend to be anything more.
Stop wasting time here and play them for yourself.

I guess. Thanks.

FUCKED IN THE ASS
The update that came with Dragonqueer fucked the UI, broke 90% of the mods, and caused several other bugs to start cropping up. It's objectively the worst way to play the games. Either pirate an older version of the EE, or suck it up and mod the original.

Honestly, that describes Bioware works as a whole
decent with a few really good parts

Icewind Dale is pretty top tier, I enjoyed it a lot more than Baldur's Gate

Some people probably will ITT, but I can't recommend skipping the first game even if it's got problems. It's pretty lighthearted and there's lots of humor throughout, kind of a quaint monty python tone before everything gets Edgy in 2. The sidequests are the entire game, really, plot is nothing.

Don't worry about not being able to tell the original content from beamdog's gay fucking bullshit either. It sticks out, trust me. Stick with good old Xzar and Mortaron, (maybe mod out the NPC reputation reactions), and everything will be fine.

I heard rumors a while back that there's some creepy revisionism shit going on with EE updates. Are they fucking with the original content, or is that bullshit?

Emm, about that user. Xzar already got one shotted by a wolf. Fuck.

Are mods really that needed?

Isn't that the one where they meticolously removed any content and phrased that could be considered insensitive or triggering?

Don't forget to let Dorn pack your fudge, faggot.

BG1 is a decent Diablo clone, once you get used to Vancian magic. The add-ons for it are only frustrating. BG2 is the closest thing to Citizen Kane of video games. On the other hand, Citizen Kane isn't that good, so it's not saying much. Throne of Bhaal inroduces a cool npc, and is ok, but the whole deus ex machina and shooting gallery style story is a bit dull.

Korgan and Jan ftw

Such is life in low level D&D.

Jan is great. I'd recommend him just for the banter alone, but not being able to learn Necromancy spells is quite annoying. Can't learn Skull Trap or Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting.

Nice meme

The Enhanced Editions are fine, just the new characters are complete shit, even if it's still worth doing their quests for more xp

Stop

Even if you end up not liking 1 that much, play 2, it's a massive improvement.
I recently played dragonspear and my god, was it a pile of shit. Even if the characters weren't that great in BG1, in dragonspear they all talk like they're on a modern day sitcom. There's a complete disconnect with the previous games. The new characters are even worse than the EE characters and one of them is even overpowered as shit to try and make you use her and follow the shitty chick flick romance. The main plot is shit too, except for the bits that link it to 2. Avoid at all costs

For the series veterans, is there anything that Baldur's Gate 1 definitively did better than 2?

Is it still possible to get the original version digitally or did they get rid of all non enhanced edition versions? Is there still a reason to get the original?

*legally. I already know I can pirate it easily.

BG1 has a lot more outdoor exploration, if you consider that a plus. It's more of a personal preference. There's a bunch of nameless wilderness areas inbetween the main places, and those areas don't exist in BG2.

Baldurs Gate is edgy shit, fuck off.

I recall people saying that the originals are available under extras on gog after you buy it, maybe someone who bought it can confirm.

That is true. All the Enhanced Editions have the originals as extras. The only issue is giving Beamdog money.

I can see how some people liked the exploration, but I found that it eventually became a bit of a pain. I guess it is just down to personal preference

I really like how in 2 the city areas were already labeled so you could do the quests instead of running around allies for a while trying to find x buildinf

That's nice, dear, now have a (You) and settle down for your nap.

Suppose I'll ask here: Is there any way to enable Environmental Audio without a sound card? 3D Soundback Beta half-worked (no echo), and it sounded like garbage.

The open areas are nice for a first playthrough, as they help give a sense of being forced out on your own. Later playthroughs, it's just a bit tedious. Luckily, you can skip over previously explored areas so it's not much of an issue as you beeline for the other edge of the map.

BG1 is also kind of the opposite of BG2. In BG1 you start in the world, and eventually you are able to get to Baldur's Gate, the big city. In BG2 you start in the big city and only leave every so often, until later.
I turned that on for BG1 once I modded it. It's really, really nice.

The characters in the original BG games were shit but I really wasn't expecting much out of them. Dragonspear just does things worse by making them a bunch of self-inserts and propaganda vehicles. They're not just one dimensional, they're one dimensional and the dimension isn't even pleasant or interesting; it's just nauseating.