Whats the best small form factor emulation computer for 5th gen consoles?

whats the best small form factor emulation computer for 5th gen consoles?

*not a handheld but for playing on a TV

Pi is run by anti GG virtue signallers
Pass

Funny you should make this thread. I have an Intel NUC box sitting around collecting dust, and I was thinking about turning it into a little retro emulation console by installing Linux and RetroArch. Someone on RetroArch forum did that two years ago on a more powerful model (his has an i5 in it, mine has an i3 in it) but I figure if it worked for him it should work for me too. He mentions running PS1 games fine, so presumably N64 and Sega Saturn games would work too.

The only thing that stands in my way is that I'm a faggot that knows nothing about Linux, and I'd like to be able to get it as minimalist and simplistic as possible, meaning I'd ideally have to figure out how to set it up to boot Arch Linux and then immediately load RetroArch, with nothing in between, not even a desktop environment.

There are lots of Raspberry Pi alternatives out there too, but I don't know if they are fast enough for 5th gen emulation. Probably are, with the right specs.

Both N64 and Saturn emulation is dogshit so you'll only be playing PS1 games.
Nowadays even 300$ android phones can at least run epsxe but if you want proper accuracy or extra enhancements you'll need to buy a proper PC.

ODROID-C2 or ODROID-XU4 with Lakka installed could be good alternatives.

Then get one of the other micro computers like Arduino, Banana Pi, or CuBox

A big problem is that many Emulator overlays like RetroPie are built for Rasberry Pi. Sure, anyone with a basic understanding of Linux could get RetroPie working on another platform. Still, could get compatibility issues.

The current version of Demul is good, they even finally fixed the AMD texture glitching. Now if only they could also release it as a Libretro core.

Reicast is going quite nicely as well.
I remember testing the 0.1 version of the libretro core in my toaster, and I could run Marvel VS Capcom 2 without issue. It was originally made for ARM Architecture, so it must be working well for SBCs like ODROID and derivatives

N64 emulation has never once worked for me on Linux. Not on my desktop, not on my pi3.
I have enough problems getting N64 working on my Windows Desktop.

Last commit was two months ago, the main site is down.
Its pretty much dead with less compatibility than Nulldc.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

[email protected]/* */ 100% certified justwerks, it's highly customizable without being an incoherent mess like retropie, comes with Kodi and every other feature you never knew you wanted for you retro emulation solution.
If you don't care about additional functionality, only use wired controllers and/or have autism, use Lakka.

as i understand a lot of emulation is done by the processor. I dont claim to understand this very well and dont want to start a long discussion on the topic but.. shouldnt their also be a decent GPU for emulation if its only to drive the monitor/tv?

what is the NUC like as far as power consumption goes? I am looking to build an emulation box for a guy that works over the road and it wouldnt be good to have it sucking a lot of power.

That problem was fixed fuck knows how long ago you fucking nigger, stop posting that image.

I guess my real question is if i used something like an nvidia shield, amazon tv gaming edition, or an odroid xu4 would i be able to assume that i can eliminate hardware issues when using my shitty emulators?

From those three the Nvidia Shield is the most powerful option. The Tegra K1 chip inside the Nvidia Shield can play some Saturn and even Gamecube games. PS1 and PSP should work perfectly, and N64 would work as good as it gets

A NUC, pretty sure the base Gigabyte one would be enough. Sure it's more expensive than the already very good RPi, but it can boot off SSDs, support Windows on x86-64 so you don't even have to deal with a shit-tier OS running on a stupid arch.

Isn't the point of posting such images and webms to keep spreading disinformation for cheap.

THIS

OP, boards like the ODROID, Banana Pi, etc. are nice when you want to have a low cost (40-50 USD) emulation station. If you're gonna spend so much money on a emulation machine, better go with a x86-x64 NUC (or plug your damn computer to a TV), as it will have actual Windows/Linux with better emulators, controller options and nice processors

There's more than one error in that image.

It's basically just laptop parts shoved into a tiny box, so power consumption would be equal or less than that. You can also configure it to be more aggressively power saving in the bios but I'd imagine you risk gimping performance that way.

alright thanks for the info man.

I asked Holla Forums and ended up just going with the Odroid C2 because it meets my requirements to play 5th gen games while also being under 100 dollars

Just make sure you actually have the ports/connectors you need from one of those. Some of those boards might end up lacking something you didn't know it lacked.

hdmi, a couple usb 2.0 (i have usb hub in case), power plug in, and sd card slot. sounds good.

Gamer Goobers BEE TEE EFF OH once again