How come the gaming "mainstream" (especially journos) has such poor taste?

Especially when it comes to narratives in video games.

Even before the Gamergate Chimpout, game journos praised junk like Mass Effect, Other M, Bioshock, Metal Gear, etc., for their "stories" (complete with talk out of a Humanities or "social science" class), if nothing else. All Gamergate did was make them go full throttle if anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/343871/Corruption-consumer-hate-and-bad-journalism-in-games-journalism/
please
web.archive.org/web/20160316142604/http://www.please
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because video game "journalism" is literally bottom of the barrel compared to other, real areas of journalism.
Don't need any kind of real degree in journalism, or in anything to have a job.

At most you'll see is english majors who have absolutely no job prospects anywhere else become vidya "journalists," Like Sessler.

AKA being a propaganda writer for globalism.

They get paid to write. That's all they are, just writers. They write a bunch of dumb, worthless bullshit because they get paid by the article. They don't actually like video games, they don't know how to play video games. They wanted to be real journalists, book authors, traveling jokers but they're not good at anything so they shit all over video games hoping that one day they'll be noticed by someone important that can make all their dreams come true.

The only faggots saying GG was an over reaction were the corrupt journos themselves

All GG did was expose how deep the rabbit hole was. Which was far fucking deeper than expected, especially since vidya is a niche form of entertainment. When did this all begin? It's just universally excepted that it was 2007. Lots of shit came out than.

WHOP IT OUT

Because now a days they are glorified bloggers; not qualified enough to be real journalists or critics so they have to settle to video games, which most of the time they see beneath them. This is why I'm pretty sure there has been a big push for "cinematic experiences" and "games for smart people" in recent years. But to be fair video game journalism is never been that great, look at the Driver 3 scandel.

This, it is basically a dead end job. And now that they also chimp out on social medias about political matters with retarded opinions they are even more unemployable.

Few people who write for mainstream sites are genuine enthusiasts or, at the very least, are not allowed to be genuinely critical lest they step on the toes of companies that pay their wages. The reason we often thought indie devs would change that was because they couldn't line their pockets, but they instead instead lined their emotions and friendship groups.

The somewhat new phenomenon of "introspective thought pieces" in games media almost seems to just be pretentious vomit intended to bedazzle readers into thinking they are written by intelligent people and hence their perceptions of games are inherently better. Not least they have to keep pumping out SJW nonsense to keep their place in the cool kids club, so of course they're going to double down as soon as their cred is threatened.

People who actually like games and want to give them a fair shake tend to have flocked to Youtube. They just have to not fall prey to networks and conglomerates who will stifle creativity and negativity.

Pretty much, yeah.
If anyone wants to get into some real journalism now, creating a small site or joining an already established news site is the only way to go.

The SJW bullshit is part the english majors who masturbated over Marx while in university, just like Sessler again, and part clickbait.
For a time it actually worked really well but that is starting to change now, many of these sites are bleeding readers.

A few factors:
A. Games 'journalists' spend very little time playing games. Lots of travelling, drinking, meeting with contacts, talking to editors etc and writing fluff so you've got maybe 30-40 hours a week to actually play tops. Any game that needs a long time to get into (i.e. has depth) is poor and short playtimes are much less of an issue.
B. Related to the above games are going to be played on the easiest setting. Any game that is even slightly challenging seems too difficult because of limited time.
C. You end up immersed in the industry and knowing many devs personally not to mention the higher-ups in publishing. It isn't a good long-term move to shit on a contact's product. Doubly so when you consider most money comes from advertising and most of the people paying for these adverts are big vidya companies. In theory the Chinese Wall should prevent this being an issue but in practice it's an ever present concern. Also publishers have been known to cut certain websites off from all press announcements and review codes for a bad review. Even when you aren't acting out of self-interest it's a lot harder to be objective about trends in the industry when you're caught up in it all.

Oh and:
D. Games journalism is a home for failed journalists. Even the shittiest of movie critics looks down upon it and rightly so.

That journalist playing DOOM still makes me laugh.

Got a link to it? I've not been keeping up with anything nuDoom related.

Good god. I'm not 30 seconds in and it's already terrible. Is he playing with a controller?

Well that was fucking painful. How can you be that shit at playing if you (supposedly) do it daily for a fucking living?

Wasn't there an article bitching about the community reaction to that? Something about how GIT GUD is and ablest slur?

Just like that time a leftist piece of shit journalist shot a gun and everyone called him a pussy for being afraid of the loud noises. He then put out another article about how misogynistic the gun community is because they called him a gendered insult. Meanwhile gun nuts send him pictures of their 6 year old daughters shooting the same gun.

Because game journalists don't actually like video games. That's why the games that are more like movies are the ones they praise most highly.

It's the first rung on the ladder to publisher marketing, which should tip you off to why you should never listen to video game "journalists." They want to write just long enough to get their foot in the door at EA or Activision or Zenimax so they can get paid more to do nothing but groom the next crop of writers.

Gaming "journalism" having issues is nothing new. Pic related was from some Atari magazine complaining about the average state of games coverage back in '94.

As far as taste goes, it's probably a mix of the "journos" themselves not exactly enjoying what they play, but also some idea they have about what the average reader cares about. Wikipedia notes this about Otogi 2 and EGM's poor coverage.
IE: "Our readers don't care to know about games like this so why should we even make much effort to make them aware?"

Spoiler alert: every single person who uses Twitter is a retard. All of them. Yes, even you, user reading this. You know who you are. Faggot.

Not like Holla Forums has good taste in video games

It's a vicious cycle that only got worse after, you guessed it, 2007.

Most major releases have a lot of hype, mostly created by tasteless/paid-off journalists. This in turn gets a lot of normalfags hyped, who buy the shitty game. This makes the game developers think it's OK to make a shitty title as long as it sells a lot in the first week.

I'm not sure I disagree, as Holla Forums has many people with diverse tastes in garbage, but I am curious what are some games you find good?

What game got trashed on Holla Forums that triggered you so?

OoT :^)

Your mother's blowjob, she deserves much higher praise

Going against mainstream reviews every time is a dangerous game. Sure, you stick it to the man in that head of yours, but you end up praising absolute garbage just because it got poor reviews.

I prefer Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask. It's alright, after all, Holla Forums doesn't have good taste in video games, and you're on Holla Forums.

pick one

Sorry about your objectively shit taste user

Same to you man, we're all in this together.

Every time I join some Holla Forums group it's filled with the most autistic shitters.

What the fuck did you expect?

Let's keep building that echo chamber, together.

Shitter that ticks everything on the list spotted

You don't know that about him, user.

But all those games do have good stories, at least compared to the other mainstream shit they're comparing it to like Call of Duty, and Final Fantasy if they're really "nerdy"

Hey, I'm none of those and I still have shit taste

Don't group Metal Gear with this schlock.
The series might have gone off the deep end, but MGS1-3 are still amazing, with MGS2 being a narrative masterpiece.

Not really. Especially not Mass Effect which was underwhelming even before ME3 happened.

What's wrong with you

It wasn't always like this. I distinctly remember 90s gaming magazines having AWESOME dudes. Then they started hiring nuguys who cry at morning soaps or some shit and who are thirsty enough to go after hamplanets then give them awards for garbage.

Mass Effect one is one of the best sci fi games ever.

It's simple user, gaming journalism isn't about video games, it's about generating outrage and getting clicks. It's irrelevant if what they is good or not, as long as people keep getting upset about it and spreading names they'll keep getting revenue.

Cisquisition was a great game, If you disagree, you have shit taste. I'm obviously right.

I mean, it worked pretty damn well for Ghostbusters, just keep suckering in the """nerd"""" audience to complain and justify you being a victim and you'll keep generating free advertising off of the controversy

I hate this

Guess you missed when a shitload of journos were chimping out on twitter when archive.is became popular and literally called it theft.

Believe a couple sites even tried using DCMA to get the whole thing shut down.

Archive makes a big difference. Their clickbait is still drawing views, but they're not making any money off it.

but archiving is stealing!
:    ^)

You two are missing the point.
People are posting clickbait, thinking it's okay just because the people who wrote it aren't making any money while completely forgetting that clickbait is fucking garbage and not worth reading to begin with. It's journalistic shitposting.

It's too late anyway. As soon as an archive is brought down I'll create one myself and release the source code but that's not going to happen so I'm not going to worry.

Oh and Mark if you're reading this post get off your heeb arse and warn/tempb& posters who don't archive their clickbait shit. It's happening more frequently now and nobody is calling them out on their bullshit.

Because mainstream gaming isn't about playing games, it's about being part of a subculture. Like how eating socially isn't about the food.

u think this is specific to gamin media monica?
nah nigga u dum nigga plz fuk up outta here

Nice projection faggot. Not denying that Holla Forums has bad taste, but you really are a faggot. In Holla Forums's defence, it's the only place I know where the majority like Dragon's Dogma.

And their penises.

Take your meds faggot. Or just kill yourself and make the world a better place.

Because they're Jewish.

Journos are casual normalfags, and bottom of the barrel ones to boot.

He's not wrong, though. Mass Effect 1's universe was pretty fucking expansive, which is one of the main draws of a sci-fi series. Gameplay was alright but the world-building was fantastic. Practically half an encyclopedia on fictional species and planets and technology.
Never played anything past 1, but I hear even the world-building was reduced in later games on top of everything else that went wrong.

I'm not sure if I'd call it fantastic, but it sure left an impression when there were so few promising original IP at the time.

Fucking this.

I have a question for those of you bashing LE GOOBERGAB;

Do you think you could pull the cock out of your mouth long enough to explain to me exactly what GG did so wrong that you need to shit on its corpse every single day?

For example:

So all the bullshit in the vidya industry existing before GG decided to call it out (after enduring transgressions from much more obscure sites like Bankruptaku) is now evidence that GG was automatically invalid?

I'm sorry, but I just can't help but think that all of you who are shitting on GG are just projecting some kind of personal failure, either because you're just trolls or because you are ex-gators who couldn't come to terms with the fact that the anti-leftist sentiments that lent its strength to GG moved on to bigger targets. For fuck's sake, Donald Trump, the most unabashedly anti-PC, anti-SJ figurehead to have reared his head in decades is poised to claim the presidency, and, whether you have the balls and/or humility to admit it or not, GG were the first ones to show the internet, and eventually (even in only a small way) the world that that kind of sentiment existed, that a whole hell of a lot of people were sick of virtue-signalling crybullies, and weren't going to let them get their way any longer.

So I'll restate my question: what in the everloving FUCK is up with all the GG hate around here? Did I miss something big at the end of last year, or are you all so low that you need to piss on a grave to make yourselves feel important?

See the trend here? I checked the site just now and
Fuck off.

It gets even worse

You retards existing?

Gamers knew 'video game journalism' was a joke for decades and paid it no attention.

Why do you think all these publication were going bankrupt and sites were plugging more and more ads? Because most people didn't give a shit. Especially the long time gamers.

But here comes the underage retards, acting like they uncovered some huge conspiracy that no one had known before, and what do they do?

They act like complete fuckwits generating sympathy for tumblr and video game journalists. More attention, more clicks, more credibility, more money.

Good work retards, you've done nothing but give strength to video game reviewers that you claim to so despise.

It has always been a problem, just the shit ramped up in recent years.
tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/343871/Corruption-consumer-hate-and-bad-journalism-in-games-journalism/

I'm pretty sure most of those niggers are from cuckchan, whenever I argue with them they just get simple shit completely wrong.

[citation needed]

Assuming you're not just a low energy troll, of course.

And even if you're not a troll, you're still pretty low energy.

The show is on ABC so they don't get their money through advertising.
The staff get their money through "Journalism"
Ironically big companies have become more trustworthy because we know they will shill the shit out of the triple A games. But smaller companies our ones that can't accept advertisement are harder to work out. you don't know where they stand because everything is done for favours or personal/politcal agendas.

That being said I've never taken any 'journos' opinion as reason to pick up a game.

This thread really does have everything

google.com retard

yw

Should post that on the gaymergatehq board.

They'll shut their eyes and pretend to have not read it like the one that shut down the le ebig korean sjw boogeyman shit

True, the ABC doesn't broadcast advertisements, however it is funded by the government with the same taxes I have to pay

I don't think anyone but faggots Bob Chipman liked Other M. Metal Gear has a lot of little touches in the storytelling only works in a video game but the story was basically a B-movie. Mass Effect was probably straight up shilling. Bioshock was shit at everything but the setting.

…aaaaaaaand none of the articles I found are dated for this year. Nice try, though.

And even if I did find any articles on the effects of GG dated to 2016, what exactly would I be looking for? Gawker articles about how the mysogynystyc gippergoys only proved how badly we need Madame Parkinson's Disease to win the upcoming election?

Try a little harder, kid.

What planet are you on? The fucking opposite happened, these people are mocked and ridiculed everywhere.
Again the opposite happened. RPS had to set up a Patreon just to stay afloat because they're dwindling users. Gamasutra bit the dust (and that Alexander chick killed her career). Polygon is endlessly mocked especially after that DOOM video.
GG succeeded in making the other side sperg out, they were continually shooting themselves in the foot and making enemies of everyone involved or not.
I have no problem with critiquing GG currently, even if I don't agree with it but don't go rewriting history.

we know

filtered

How did a thread about chankiddies having shit taste turn into gaymergate shit anyway

Baby can't come up with a real argument?

It's okay, we all fall down at one point or another. It's gonna be hard getting back up on that horse without a spine, though.

Thanks for playing.

P.S. If you think being a goobergator is somehow sad, consider taking a look in the mirror and realizing that you're still an AGGro in 2016. Don't worry, bud, I'll be here for you.

I'm still sympathetic to GG, but he's not necessarily an aggro
you reek of plebbit though

Let's assume, for just a moment, that I have no idea what "statistics showing sites" you're referring to. Crazy, right!?

Care to give us a link, or are you just going to shit all over the board and bitch about how we're too retarded to research YOUR argument for you?

I'm willing to admit that's my fault. Sorry, the bantz have me.

Seriously though, can we get some sources about how the Gawker camp and their ilk are doing these days? Last I checked they were in pretty dire straights. And even if they have recovered, I seriously doubt it was anytime before the new year.

There is literally no argument against that.

Gawker Media is getting auctioned off tomorrow.

God tier taste right there

journalism as a whole is dead, its all clickbait and propaganda now.

Because they aren't NEETS who spend all day and night autistically playing the same shitty games.

**JK it's because they're a bunch of hipsters and SJW's who applaud style over gameplay. Also I suspect there has to be some overlap between "game journalism" and triple AAA developers/producers. Reviewers generally applaud most AAA titles, and ironically like most indie games, but little inbetween. A lot of them also have moral messages, that they as a community have taken up, in the name of "progressing" video games or making them more "mainstream". I.e. "we need more women in gaming" or "we need more POC in video games". Criticizing the artificial social>>10401873
interpretations of video games has become as important or perhaps more important than criticizing/praising the gameplay itself. Take for instance this trans-woman's review of Grand Thenft Auto V: please use archive.is/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review/1900-6414475/

Lastly having critical opinions of video games, particularly newer ones, would likely get you shut out of the industry.**

Because they aren't NEETS who spend all day and night autistically playing the same shitty games.

**JK it's because they're a bunch of hipsters and SJW's who applaud style over gameplay. Also I suspect there has to be some overlap between "game journalism" and triple AAA developers/producers. Reviewers generally applaud most AAA titles, and ironically like most indie games, but little inbetween. A lot of them also have moral messages, that they as a community have taken up, in the name of "progressing" video games or making them more "mainstream". I.e. "we need more women in gaming" or "we need more POC in video games". Criticizing the artificial social interpretations of video games has become as important or perhaps more important than criticizing/praising the gameplay itself. Take for instance this trans-woman's review of Grand Thenft Auto V: please use archive.is/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review/1900-6414475/

Lastly having critical opinions of video games, particularly newer ones, would likely get you shut out of the industry.**

Sorry for double post. But the link I was trying to post didn't go through, probably a word filter, but idk. Anyways because I'm a tripfriend you'll probably just ignore me anyways. But here's an archive:

web.archive.org/web/20160316142604/http://www.please use archive.is/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review/1900-6414475/

>>>/reddit/

My problem with vidya journalism is that they act as pretty much unreliable advertising. But they don't even advertise much, only the AAA and most obvious games while more obscure games are left in the dust for whoever to stumble upon, play and wonder how such a game wasn't even recognized.

God damn I hate faux-hawks and this new fas of shaving off the entirety of your sides and leaving the top 4-5inches. It's fucking disgusting. I'm disgusted here. Blend your goddamn hair. Shit needs to look natural and flowing, not this abrasive affront to my eyes.

Normalfags.

In depth answer: mainstream media writes for the average gamer NOT the niché. What do 90℅ play? Fallout, Halo, COD, Warcraft.

Next question?

Advertising space and clicks user.

A niché Japanese game gets fewer clicks than an article about Halo and thus us less profitable to write about.

Can't really argue with you on that one.

RPS actually had to institute a subscriber program for early access to certain content. It wasn't explicitly a result of GG but the timing and the fact it was to remain 'independent of advertising revenue' was a bit of a giveaway.

It's called an undercut shitlord, don't you know it's the fashy trend?
It's actually one of the styles of hair that Hitler Youth kids would have during WW2.

If you don't mind me asking, what was gamergate revolt supposed to be? I remember that they moved their board to a different chan site and that's it.

They made a site called "the cuck" No, I'm dead fucking serious, look it up.

I played the previous Momodora games, is that one good?

pfft, nigger, when G4 first came out before it merged with techtv

shit was a revelation

They don't have any taste. They believe what they're paid to believe.

it actually is

Get out.

you think that's suffering? Not even nichegamer covers shit like comiket. All that's on the front page is zelda shit, fucking gamescom, and entry level baby shit. In order to get any coverage for comiket I need to follow the edleweiss preview, and literally contact every developer I can find and hope they speak English.

The percentage of users here who still remember the exodus is in the single digits.

nice spacing faggot