ITT, those times when it's okay to use save states

ITT, those times when it's okay to use save states.

any hard NES game without continues

GIT GUD

Beyond Oasis platform sections

Fuck that perspective.

Evento Super Mário RPG hás less platform sections

None of the bosses in Oracle of Ages were challenging if you were familiar with the oldschool nintendo-hard games.

Trying to collect all the emeralds in sonic 2 with sonic AND tails. I have no idea how I did this as a kid.

Never. Get good you gigantic PC casuals. Holy shit.

this romhack/mod ranges from engaging to absolutely bullshit

every boss battle in dragon quest ix, letting only them hit 2 times is horse shit on top of a horrible battle system

Whenever you want. If you're idea of fun and enjoyment means saving every five minutes, knock yourself out.

Also I'd say saving as a checkpoint before leaving for work/school/whatever is acceptable too.

Nice. Demo a qt

Also, Call of Cthulu and Touhou Mario: Imperishable Night.

by the way, i believe youre expected to save scum. that "demos" counter somehow keeps track of how many times youve diedmaybe loaded too? despite save states

Also, Demo a qt.

good point

Anything with RNG bullshit. i.e. really rare crafting like pic related.

If you use them, you're still trash at the game.

If the game doesn't support savestates natively, it's never okay.

Git gud

Gambling

Used to rely on savestates for every game back in the day. Now I only use it as a replacement to password system or as save points for games with infinite continues but no saving system.

Always.

inb4autisticgidgutsupervirginlosers

Back on ps2 dq8 i remember turning my system off probably over 100 times until I won big in roulette. Good times.

This.

lol, you weak bitch ass faggots would kill yourselves if you played games back then.

3 or 5 lives at max to finish the whole game, precision jumping and enemies that did insta kill damage by just touching you.

anyone that started gaming from the moviestation1 forward is pretty much a casual bitch

Ninja Gaiden 2(360) is harder than any of the games in the NES trilogy. Stop being a hipster faggo.

lol, you are a funny bitch, ill rape and kill you last

Souls games would be 111000x times better if I didn't have to run back to my body every time I died.

That only works with games where the hitboxes make sense and it doesn't feel like I'm fighting monsters wearing invisible pillows all over their body.

YOUR POWERS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME BOY

It's generally pretty bad to use them, but I suppose there's times where it makes some sense to use them. I can't say I feel terribly guilty for using save states on the Game Over screen of Castlevania 1 since it has unlimited continues but no password system. Would probably be a good idea to sit down one day and just go through it in one sitting though.

Save scumming isn't the same as using save states, but I guess there's an argument to be made for whether or not save states should be used to speed up save scumming. Personally I'd say it's usually not a good idea but if I got really fed up with the game I'd probably go and use them.

Some (All?) of the NES Ninja Gaiden games were given limited continues when they came to the west even though the JP version had unlimited continues. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to use save states.

Using Agility Seeds on Alena in DQIV to make sure she turns into a nightmare crit machine.

Usually only use them to fuck about in particular areas. Usually only use them for backup after in-game saves incase something fucks up there or I move around to another PC.

The thing about the NES games and most NES games in general is that they're short and the games can be beaten in less than an hour. Just have some patience and you can blow through them pretty fast.

Nigger just get a potion

In lieu of checkpoints where the game doesn't provide them, like in 10-minute-long levels that end with bosses.

You're bad at video games. I beat this when I was younger.
Captcha: qtw cia

Is that andywilson92

Old games were extremely hard. I bet no one on Holla Forums would even make it off the boat in swiss family robinson for the C64 despite that just being the intro.

You're just cherry picking. There's hard games from every era. Any game can be beaten if you have patience.

I know of at least one game that was hardcoded to be unbeatable because they didn't have enough space for a final boss cutscene. Arcade sidescroller, i think.

It can still be beaten with the patience to hack it

Then it's not the same game. It's a slightly different game with the same title. Saying you beat it is like saying you finished the arcade metal slug on your neo-geo at home, with infinite quarters. Technically correct, but nobody will care.

I think that finishing an incomplete game would be more impressive than beating it.

Go Holla Forumsirtue signal somewhere else, nigger.

The only time it's ok is when IRL gets in the way or you CBF writing down a huge resume code.

i-is it alive

Cutting off the head kills the crab

I never had any problems with the bosses in that game. Once you got multiple hits you'd just build tension for a few turns and devastate them.

Took me a lot longer to realize crafting items only spawned after about 20m of having the game turned on

The original game isn't a game because it doesn't have a win state

I know this will probably start some kind of shitfight but for me a game doesn't need a win state to be a game, only a fail state is required.

Never.

Basically, yeah that's what I'm saying.
City builders and many grand strats don't have a "win" but they do have a lose.
I generally like games where I can do whatever I want within limits so I haven't "finished" a game in nearly a year but I have sure lost plenty of games.

while on the subject what's a good baby's first city builder game? i've never played anything of that genre

you did it with
19 65 9 17
4 1 2 6

Cities: Skylines is the best I have played, it's not too involved stock but can be modded to be very in-depth.
My only advice would be get the Tweeter Killer mod the minute that little fucker pisses you off.

sim city 2000
caesar 2
pharaoh

only the US version of the third game

The occasional "what if" situation comes to mind. Just satisfying a curiosity when the alternative would be an additional grind or sacrificing all progress. Maybe if you spend all your otherwise rare or very useful resources on this one thing that probably won't work, you'll manage to do something the game didn't intend for you to be able to do.
Poison area? Maybe you can just barely cheese it with maxed health items.
Obstacle that requires a key or something? Maybe you can perfectly time a chain of explosions at the peak of your jump and somehow glitch through, but you'll only get one attempt at it otherwise.

Or, you know, the times when you just want to see how quickly something dies if you throw all the good shit at it.

When used to just advance in a game, savestates are breddy lame.

Sometimes. I force myself to do it once with out though.

GEE, IT SURE IS PLEB AROUND HERE