Unity Engine

Is there a worse engine out there? Literally every game I've played has either been a buggy mess, horribly optimized or unfinished.

I have yet to see anyone literally come forward and tell me a game that is made with Unity A) Good and free of these problems or B) Wouldn't have benefited immensely from being made in another engine.

Why do developers continue to use this trash heap of an engine?

It seems to be an engine you make as part of an easy proof of concept, but good luck trying to make a lot of games on it.

Cities Skylines wasn't so bad, it could certainly have been better sure, but I got what I expected when I bought it.

I think it mostly comes down to just how easy it is to implement proof-of-concepts, like mentioned. The problem with its ease-of-use is exactly that: it is too easy for shitty devs to make something with potential and not finish or improve upon their work. You could easily get a game up and running in less than a day; and if people are stupid enough to pre-order the shit you have in pre-alpha, why should you even bother to put in more effort than what's already getting you a profit?

The engine itself isn't all that optimized, though.

There's other games i haven't played, but are fairly popular.

oh, well let's see
thank you for your high-quality post OP

Japanese unity games are great.

source is a horrible engine, I used to make content for it regularly.

Don't half of them run like ass?

how so?

There is one game I used to play the fuck out of when I was younger. Had a lot of fun with it.

Also, mg captcha was "OKFEDZ""

vvis - horrible requirements on boxing out map spaces limits how you can design maps tremendously, terrible parameters for occlusion that essentially grabs your performance or compiling times by the balls and drags them to the ground.

Absolute garbage map previews for lighting.

extremely limited control over how character movement works. Essentially you're always locked into a static box with no organic qualities, but can switch states very rigidly.

god awful netcode seriously limits what kind of combat you can make in a game, if you aren't doing hitscan bullets, don't even fucking bother doing anything considering the engine is hard coded to use bounding boxes (the box that determines where your actor is in the world) for projectile hit detection. It's possible to use hit scan but essentially you risk a damage value being multiplied by 10 times what you want if that's how you go about it. Plus it's inaccurate as fuck.

displacements - lol. trisoup is much better for brush based geometry and actually supports occlusion unlike fucking displacements.

light map baking is a fucking joke, god forbid you involve displacements then you're heading down some dark fucking territory.

hacky vmf format is essentially the same as goldsrc's except with slightly updated code for func_details and fucking displacements holy shit fuck displacements

I can go on, but needless to say, Valve's fork of the original Q1/Q2 engine code has been so far bastardized it's hard to even compare it. While modern quake designers have moved onto brilliant software sets like trenchbroom, which fully embraces the BSP2 format, Valve is stuck using a hacky q2 bsp map format slightly updated around 2002 (check those fucking binary compile dates lmao.)

I actually like Unity quite a bit after seeing some of the things Japanese devs have done with it, but they're quick to adapt to new tech, and now what they're doing with UE4 has me down right thrilled.

The only thing I like about source is how fast it is to box out concepts. Even then, it's pretty inefficient at it, and you can just use trenchbroom now to get far better results, take raw BSP data, compile with HammUEr and test in a far better engine. Unity also has raw BSP tools and can produce similar results. I don't like how new engines are so reliant on prefabs, but whatever.

Unity games are shit because the engine is too easy to use. Its a good engine in every way, the problem is that its mostly used by retards.

this is an incredibly stupid way to assess the quality of an engine.

He just said that most games were shit but the engine was good.

my mistake, I guess that makes me the stupid one this time. I've seen people in the past say it's shit because there's lots of bad games for it, so I thought that was what he was saying.

I wouldn't say its the worst engine, its just the least beneficial. That, and you need to be at least semi-competent to make a decent quality game/application out of it so.

that explains the trash

sounds like the engine is just horribly outdated. which isnt realy surprising, seeing how its been iterated on for over 10 years at this point.
for beeing so old its kind of impressive it still sticks around.

but you need to be at least semi competent to use any engine effectively. at some point you will have to script and thats where most people drop the ball and fuck everything up.

at its inception it was outdated. Even UE2 was better. By the time UE3 had came out, everything changed and source was left in the dust and pretty much became a valve only engine. By the time the first left 4 dead came out, Valve abandoned the community and produced only authoring tools for their games instead of proper SDKs and since then Valve's been going down the shitter farther and farther. Fuck Source and fuck Valve.

Because it's easy to get into when you're at square one and can't do anything more complex. Because UE4 is comparatively recent.

Why not ask this in the aggydaggy thread?

well can you name any dev studios that made good games on engines other than unity beforehand?

A tool is only as good as its user.
Nearly all people who use the Unity Engine are indiedevs who are mediocre at optimizing and coding.
i.e. most Unity games will be buggy to some degree and not well optimized.

Give Unity or any other tool to the right hands and it can produce wonders.

Torque.
Fucking torque.
It can make a Core I7 with geforce 1080 suffer to run a PS2 like game.