ITT: Games so bad they basically killed the franchise

ITT: Games so bad they basically killed the franchise.

Pic related. I mean the branching paths and multiple endings are cool but from what I remember from the game when I had it on a flash card I hated the controls and how stages were timed, and the way you had to progress was annoying as fuck.

Embarassingly it had online multiplayer on a DS cart even though Star Fox 64 3DS and Zero didnt because Nintendo hates online for some reason.

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10267
archive.is/cbdji
web.archive.org/web/20050208083903/http://www.cdmag.com/articles/018/148/starcontrol3_review.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

MMBN4

6 and SF were okay but it never recovered

Sonic Free Riders.

Every physical copy I ever see I'm going fucking destroy as much as possible.

Is that the one that introduced Chaotix and Jet (aka best husbando?)

No, the first 2 were actually good racing games.

That unplayable Shitnect abomination no one asked for made Sega think no one cared about the series anymore.

I don't get it OP where's the game? I just see a white box.

Lords of Shadow was pretty good.

Some real shit taste here.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Rejected everything that made the franchise good and then adopted it as a standard for every future game. Absolutely killed the franchise.

A decent God of War clone.

Definitely not a good Castlevania.

You never have played it.

It was fun.
Maybe a bit too easy and getting all the endings was tedious since you had to replay the first few missions every time and you couldn't skip the (what felt like 10 hour) credits.

holy shit this. what an unbelievably shitty game

I really want to say Fates, but it sold really well so I can't.

Definitely this, though. 3 was the high point of the series and it seems like the team behind 4 knew nothing about the series.

6 was good, though. I'd say 3 > 2 > 6 > 5 = 1 > 4.

What is worse, a game that sells so bad, it ends the franchise, or a game that sells so well it changes what the franchise is, irrevocably?

Pretty much.

That award would go to Awakening

Even then, Awakening changed the franchise first because it sold well. I really would have preferred that they ended it with a localization of 12, and that's it. But Awakening was still better than Fates. I always wanted a Fire Emblem musou but at this point I'd rather not, because it would just be 90% Awakening/Fates fanwank.

no, it isn't

Lords of Shadow was somehow both column A and B from . I have no idea how it managed that, but it did.

why is there no more bloody roar?

Fallout 3 was just wasted potential that was recovered by New Vegas. I can't even see any amounts of mods, spin-offs, or "apologies" recovering from this atrocity.

Fuck the dialogue wheel, fuck the leveling system, and fuck the retards who bought this game.

It really is. They're both shit, but it's less shit.

That's why.

Nigga, I've gotten every ending. I loved that shit, from the dogfights to the weird turn-based set up of maps. Controls were a bit assy, but I got used to them and had fun.

Anything rebooted by Bethesda.

The voiced protag and dialog wheel really have ruined the franchise for good.

The only way for them to have actual RPG dialog options would be to scrap the voiced protag (either that or spent an absolute shit load on voice acting).

Scraping the voiced protag would be slammed as a "step back" and "break in immersion" by their massive casual audience in the lead up to launch and once it' released, so there is no way they are going to remove it in FallCry 5.

They will probably try to have more dialog options than 4, and say that they heard the fans or some shit in their PR, but the amount of dialog will still pail in comparison to that in NV, and even 3.

Also pic related, Beth knows who their true core audience is.

what a fucking buzzword

It was a terrible execution of starfox 2 ideas. The turn based shit on the map was poorly tacked on, and the combat scenes were repetitive as fuck. The controls were surprisingly good though.
I think the game could have avoided being shit with better design and more development time, the story mode and basic concept of branching paths wasn't bad for a spinoff, but at the same time it's obvious nintendo and that salty brit guy lack the vision and ability to make a good starfox game.

In the end, they should have just remade starfox 2. Command and Zero were a mistake.

Uh huh.

So you enjoyed the fanfic-tier writing, then?

Seriously, even furfags detest the shit that is Kursed.

No. I loved the gameplay and that's the shit that mattered.

It's been years since I played it, but I just didn't like it because the stages were timed and you only fought two enemies at most it felt like.

So many possibilities, all in the hands of such a shitty company

Into the trash it went.

Seriously. I threw it out last time I moved house.

I never really got why Fallout 4 is so hated, enlighten me?

Hope you like Star Fox 64 remakes, thats all you'll ever get

rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10267

give it a year

It does seem that Capcom's attempts to release new fighters with the SF brand attached has misfired a lot after MvC3 in 2011

Dead on arrival to the point where Tekken X Street Fighter was postponed indefinitely

don't underestimate how whipped SF fans are

Fates is just a huge pile of shit that I don't even know where to start.

Gameplay wise the game is excellent, but just Conquest, Revelations and Birthright have Awakening-tier maps. The music is good, better than your average Fire Emblem I guess.

And Yeah, Awakening is still shit, but less shit. If I had to choose between Awakening and Fates (and there's no option to shoot myself) I would go for Awakening.

Both games killed the saga, no doubt about it, but Fates shows how they don't even care anymore, Intelligent Systems is dead and they took Fire Emblem with them, I pray for Advance Wars because at this point if they try to bring it back, is gonna be cancer.

Have you played it? And did you get good at it?
Flying around was really fun. The story was not really important since they nailed what was important, the gameplay.
They even had a great variety of enemies that were specialized for their environment.

whyyyyyy

Its going to be worse than 3 now that Disney has Marvel

Half of it is retards only want SF64 remakes (christ the amount of complaints I've seen that the Wii U Star Fox wasn't SF64HD) and the other half is Nintendo's only really willing to make SF64 remakes.

It retconned almost the entire universe.

I still have this game. It was my first SF since 64, somehow I went by without ever knowing the GC games existed. I will defend its gameplay to death. Mapping out your courses for each pilot was the shit, having to think about which pilots had to go where and take on how many different fights at once based on their stats like health and bomb hold count. Plus once I could convince everyone to stop playing Mario Kart for a moment, we had the best times with this game's multiplayer. Shit on the story all you want, I can't even remember any of the endings.

That can be said about SF64 too

soon.

But it seriously was 64HD, but worse in a lot of aspects

I still dont get why thats all they want though, 64 was a great game but I wonder if they can do anything besides remaking the same levels and bosses. I still didnt care for Command but at it tried something different in hindsight

Zero wasn't anything like 64, quit spewing this meme

3D was the best SF64HD we could ask for honestly.

You're right. 64 has good controls for one.

obligatory fotm post

NMS isn't a franchise you fuck.

And it never will.

Fuck you

u wot

Zero's controls are better than 64

Think about it.

Zero's controls are weird but fucking amazing once you actually put in effort and get the hang of it. Or just learn to move two things at once like twinstick shooter players have for years.

Which game killed mechwarrior?

The F2P shitty snail FPS.
Living legends revived and kept mechwarrior alive just for some corporate suits to shut it down for their own abortion to get a chance to breathe before it died an agonizing death.

Nice thighs
MWO, clearly.

Because 4 was fuck awful, Nagi and Reji were alright though.

Where can I get a behelit, wanna make a sacrifice of Konami and get all the good IP's

343 is fucking cancer.

I can't believe I actually bought this game when it came out at midnight.

every main line pokémon game

tfw I bought the collectors edition

I wouldn't say that it killed a franchise.

Didn't help that Star Force 2 was basically another BN4, that shit outright killed any momentum the series had left.

Isn't that the game with this very awkward multiplayer that involves players hugging each other or some shit like that?

You forgot your hat.

whoever had the idea of "hey, you know All Range Mode? That part where most of the time is spent circling around trying to find enemies? Let's make the entire game THAT, instead of well-crafted on-rails segments where tactical bomb use, stringing together fun combos, and interesting setpieces can take center stage" should be shot.

//Link is in the "so shit that the franchise instantly died" camp
SMT4 is in the "it's absolute shit but sold well so the series is irrevocably damaged since they're now pandering to casual normalfags" camp
Omega Strain was actually pretty okay but half the content being locked behind the online service nobody had made it bomb hard enough to kill the series.
Syphon Filter got shoved onto the PSP after that and got two more decent games before being canned entirely.

Did they seriously put DLC on a fucking PS2 game? Jesus.

Not DLC, but a ton of shit required co-op to do, and since the co-op was online-only and the vast majority of people didn't have a broadband adapter for the PS2…
You could pull off several of the co-op objectives with bug-abuse, but several more were flat out impossible. You could never reach max rank or unlock all of the equipment without playing online. Hitting par times was also incredibly strict because you had big levels with multiple objectives meant for a coordinated team of four. Basically, Omega Strain was ruined by being a PS2 game. If it was released a generation later or on PC, it likely would have done very well.

All in all, the game was just repeating a miniature, dumbed down Star Fox 2 over and over again on slightly different maps with nothing worthwhile except the bosses.

Oh, and

The first entry of every franchise. You can't kill something that hasn't been born, and those games gave birth to something to be killed.

The thread is about games that kill franchises because they're shit. Unless you're saying the first entry of every franchise is shit, your point isn't actually relevant.

Think about it.

Didn't they remake that game like fifty billion fucking times?

But we still got Zero Mission, Prime 2 and 3.

I'm pretty sure they only remake games that sell user.

An awful remake that utterly misses the point of the original and more FPSs both because Fusion raped the canon so hard they can't do anything besides lame prequels anymore. Wouldn't put it past them to do yet another remake for the next Metroid in this dead series.

The beginning of Sakamoto's dementia.

Not an argument.

I don't know what in the actual fuck shit-eating retards see in this game, but this was definitely the point where I lost all interest in Wario. Everything since has been even worse.

Sakamoto never had anything to do with Metroid, Gunpei made the first few games.

Says the man without an argument.

Can you name a single Castlevania game that has been made since Symphony of the Night?

The throwaway Wiiware remake m2 did.

Lament of Innocence. :^)

You retarded fuck, if you are baiting you are pretty good. The game that Sakamoto didn't work on was metroid II, Yokoi was the one that didn't have any involvement beyond making sure the interns kept working on the game.

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth

just give the team behind kid icarus uprising a chance to make a starfox game,

even the end of planet robobot has better gameplay than zero

This game was such an upset that it actually caused a several-year lull in the arcade shmup scene in Japan, and then Konami didn't attempt another Gradius game until a full decade later. Afterwards all they could seem to do is rehash shit from the previous games. Gradius IV was an abomination while Gaiden and especially V missed the point. Rebirth has been the series' only saving grace in recent memory, but it was so short and Konami will probably not touch the series again for a long time now.

Fair enough, if M2 actually made that I guess it was probably excellent then. But for all intents and purposes Symphony of the Night pretty much killed the Castlevania series (by being so horrible).

Order of ecclesia.
I never got past the skeleton beast boss. Never took any damage, thanks to that magnet pull thing but never felt like i was wearing it down either. Maybe i was doing something wrong.

Kill yourself anytime famalam.

I wouldn't trust that egomaniac Sakurai to not fuck it up with shoehorned touchscreen controls to be honest. Who they should get to handle Star Fox is SEGA AM2.

A good game, a terrible Castlevania and way too expensive for Konami. Altough I think it was LoS 2 the one who killed Castlevania for good, because it sold like shit.

I think you have problems with reading comprehension, user.

I'm a fedorer because I think Sonic was never good?
Dude, for real Sonic was never good.
Actually I take that back. The first two games were good. Like, good. Better than decent, but just that.

How can you think Sonic 1 and 2 were better than 3 & Knuckles, or even CD for that matter?

I bet he thinks sonic is bad because the fanbase is autism

Going by that logic I would never touch a mario game in my life.

Actually now that I think about it, aside from those weird genesis era spinoffs and 2006 and that Bioware thing, ol' Sanic hasn't had all that many duds for a quarter century old franchise.

This thread sucks, you need bigger disasters than some mediocre games that we'll surely see more sequels of. Here are two torpedoes that hit their mark.
sc3 had a review score of 9/10 btw, if you think shitty/corrupt game journalism is only a modern thing

Honestly the series was already one foot in the grave after VIII.

Fine, Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic CD are better, as you say. Not great, though, you have to admit.
Even the best games of the series are just good.

You have to admit the fanbase is retarded.

Someone gave SC3 a 9/10?
WHO?

Gamespot, PCGamer, and Computer Games magazine.
Gamespot's review:
archive.is/cbdji
PCGamer's only got a blurb on MetaCritic:
Computer Games Magazine:
web.archive.org/web/20050208083903/http://www.cdmag.com/articles/018/148/starcontrol3_review.html

Fallout 4 sold well and there will be a Fallout 5.

And Fallout 5 will sell millions too.

The truth hurts but it's better than to live in denial.

Piranha Bytes, making shit RPG's since 2006

Gothic 3 wasn't that bad, it just was retardedly broken. And no where as good as 2

10 years ago when shit like Sonic X and Sonic 06 was a thing, yes. Nowadays, not so much, most of the biggest autists left for MLP, and even Chris-Chan doesn't seem to like sonic all that much anymore, what with the Blue Arms tantrum

Correct, it was not those games but in fact the piece of shit known as X4 that ruined the series when they gave Inafaggot too much creative control and lost nearly the entire SNES team when they transitioned to Playstation.

Inafune did nothing wrong*

*With X4/5.

This one hurts as there is literally no competition for X1/X2/X3 so this bomb here has likely killed not only the series but the whole genre. We might not see anything of the scale of X3 for decades.

Nah man, we have Fallout New Orleans first

Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet

Faggot Age Cisquisition didn't do so well, and considering the hardships the devs are currently facing as well as the amount of fans lost due to ME3 I imagine ME:A will flop too.

The lead game designer for ME:A being a rabid pajeet who constantly tweets about how much he hates white people probably isn't going to help either.

Ultima VIII was pretty fucking bad, arguably even worse than IX in some ways.

FE Fates no longer uses "True Hit" and instead does something closer to an actual dice roll. so that 9% crit chance is actually a 9% unlike in previous games where it would roll 2 numbers and take the average as the value.

It seems like FE is on its way to becoming full weebshit which is a shame since Fates actually plays well.

The reason all SF fans want is 64 remakes is because Nintendo doesn't understand that people like the on rails sections, and are what the bulk of the games should be.

I could literally not get the hang of the walker, I don't understand why the only difference between turning and barrel rolling was how far you pushed the stick in that direction, I feel like the stunts(barrel roll, Uturn, etc) should've required a button press and a direction.

I'd argue Star Fox Adventures did more damage than Command did. Sure Assault was okay and a step in the right direction in some ways but it never really recovered from this stinker, and neither did Rare. No wonder Nintendo sold them off to Microsoft.

I'll never forgive Microsoft for Nuts & Bolts (even though I actually liked Nuts & Bolts, just not as a BnK game)

You dumb motherfucker.

I sure hope Yooka-Laylee works out.

Haven't stayed on top of it lately, how was the toybox demo thing they released recently? Is there any way for non-backers to play (pirate) it?

I dunno. I Kickstartered it (literally the only time I've ever done that) at a level where I got the toybox so I didn't need to look for a pirated copy

It controls really well. The moveset in the Toybox is limited (only one attack) but that's probably going to be expanded with moves you learn through the game.

Sadly besides some of the animation work (some of which might be missing) the only real thing that the Toybox shows off is the control feels so it's hard to really get a sense of it watching someone else play.

No way. I played both at launch and U8 was at least a mediocre/bad game although not a proper Ultima game. U9 was a mindblowing trainwreck. The game at launch could not be completed, it rained indoors, it would corrupt the first save slot (often undetectably until much later), key quest items would fall through the floor and get saved there (again you might not know until much later), it ran at single digit fps with constant freezes, and animals made the wrong animal sounds. It was so broken they sent us all a new disk 1 after the patches (was still fucked but less) and a free copy + month of Ultima Online.

I'm pretty sure the selling happened during this game's development, causing it to get rushed.

>That unplayable Shitnect abomination no one asked for made Sega think no one cared about the series anymore.

This feels like the trend with most of the games in this thread.

The only possible way I can think of to avert the last option, would be for fans to mass send "a purchase of intent" for a new "good" game to the publisher in question as to why they didn't buy the previous game. Anyone else agree?

Well, yeah.
Kill yourself.

Halo 5 has the best MP the series has had since halo 2 though