100% completion in games

What are examples of games that do this well, and why?

What are bad examples and why?

Wonderful 101 is tough as hell to 101%. I think if you want absolutely everything and all the secret cameo characters, youhave to pure platinum every mission, secret mission, and difficulty. As well as find all the collectables. It takes multiple playthroughs and a long time to find all the items and git gud enough to beat all the ridiculous secret missions. I think I got stuck on the one with 3 dragon things

Funnest to 100% is any DK game or kirby or any nintendo platformer.

Also fun to 100% is certain comfy things like animal crossing or viva pinata. least fun to 100% now is pokemon, fucking event legendaries.

Majoras mask may also be one of my favourites to 100% with all its side quests

Good: Metroid
Bad: Assasins creed

Fuck i forgot asscreed and how shit it is to 100%. I was playing that with a person who is shit at it and is a completionist, it was hell.

Also up there is the recent bamham arkham games.i like a few riddler challenges but goddam it almost beats out asscreed in number of bullshit to collect.

GTA

Only game I've ever 100%'d is SotN
Well more like 200%'d but you get the point

>200.1%

I like to 100% quick games like DKC, where I can do it in a single afternoon without a break.
Long-ass games where it takes 60-100 hours to reach 100%, I just can't be assed.

>Turns out you can 200.6% it
Well fuck

Castlevania did it pretty well with it's % based on map exploration.

I hate it when there's no way to know where to look to get to 100%. Having it put exact locations all over a map might be too much handholding, but at least show how much you've collected in a level or zone out how the total. AM2R was really fun getting to 98% on my own, but there was no way I would have been able to find the last 2 without a map.
Paper Mario TTYD does it well, you can get a hint for locations but you only get one at a time so you're encouraged to find as much by yourself then use it to get the rest. I think the other Paper Marios do the same thing but I don't remember.

seriously. many minigames are not fun. the fact that you lose lives in minigame levels is also trash. worse case scenario should be kicking you out of the minigame and back into the level, not losing a life and one step towards game over. they fucking knew it too because they handed 1-ups to you like candy. and the reward? a fucking picture of all the characters lined up after the credits. fuck off. this killed 100% collection for me as a kid.

Collecting all the DK coins and getting closer to 101% wasn't tedious and always got you extra levels and an extra final boss fight. You're rewarded with more gameplay and that's fucking awesome.

I don't remember any minigames in Mario Sunshine, granted it's been ages since I last played it.
I remember that the only part of that game that I actually liked were the no-FLUDD levels that played like SM64 challenge levels.
I wish the whole game had been made like that, instead of shoehorning in another one of Nintendo's endless gimmicks.

pushing the leaf boats by shooting the opposite way with fludd. if your boat touches anything it fucking sinks and you die in the water.

pachinko minigame.

sand bird in the sky.

The Spyro games did a good job of this.
On one hand, Ripto's Rage didn't really give you a hidden level like the other two did. On the other hand, unlimited fireballs for every level.

Are those really minigames, or just shit mechanics? I'd give you that they were shit, but a minigame would be more like suddenly having to play a hand of poker or something like that.

The pachinko one would have been pretty neat if its physics hadn't been glitchy as all fuck. Sand bird was pretty cool, though.

The World Ends With You.

The game straight up tells you the drop rates for every enemy, and you can boost the drop rate by lowering your level. Cash also becomes super easy to grind once you unlock the bonus chapter by beating the main story via a tunnel full of frogs that drop 10k each on easy difficulty so you can finally get the Christmas cake in bel-aire to want your dick. Beating the story also gives you the ability to hop to the start of ANY chapter at ANY time and scatters a bunch of powerful items in most of them. evolving pins is also never impossible, since pins that need exp gained from leaving the game off don't care about changing the date on your DS and the proto-streetpass feature will eventually have "aliens" visit you for exp.

So nothing is ever out of reach, you just have to go out and get it. Have fun with those rare late-game boss drops though, hope you've been grinding drop rate boosts.

So is that a good example or a bad example?
Up to SA, I probably would've said good example, but the last two games in the series haven't exactly provided good incentives for 100%ing anything. Hell, the stunt jumps in GTA V are the biggest hassle compared to previous games. And don't get me started on the pigeons in IV.

your mum
cus u no 100% om going to complete on her

2/10
best i can do

Is that a photo of a photo on a screen on a screen?

Good for 100%

Pikmin games, since they're not a massive grind and provide a good challenge. Only rewards are better endings though.

Bad for 100%

Open world games. You know damn well why.

GTA is awful. Monotonous collection of 100s of items in random places is the worst thing you can do.

look at him

look at him and laugh

Good examples:
Games where collectibles are hidden away or require mastery of the game's movement and other gameplay mechanics to reach.

Bad examples:
Pokemon - Gotta catch 'em all except you can't unless you or your buddy buys the game with the 5 or so pokemon missing from your version, and you download the event legendaries, and then buy the spinoff game so you can get that other legendary.

I would say Red Dead Redemption is the only good example of this, seeing as how it's the only game I have bothered to get complete 100%. I think it's my favorite game of all time.

What does 101% even mean? Wouldn't doing absolutely everything in the game just be 100%?

It means you completed more than 100% of the game. It seems rather self explanatory.

Enslaved
Granted It's only from what someone I know told me but it sounded really fucking bad

Okami, the fishing minigame is neat but then

Bingo.

Mario Galaxy 2 is both good and bad here. The 120 stars are for the most part great fun with loads of variety. Getting all of them is rewarding due to the fact that you're experiencing high quality content with minimal filler.

After you beat the game with 120 stars, you then are given green stars to collect. These are the polar opposite of fun and basically just serve as a tedious exercise in revisiting levels and embarking on essentially what is a lengthy easter egg hunt.

I would much rather have had a single, extra level with 3 stars that unlocks.

Beating a game itself usually only gives you a 60% completion. So would completing every single subquest give you a 100%, then unlocking secrets add to that?
I suppose that makes sense then.

Then wouldn't THAT be 100%?

Good: Drakengard. You HAVE to go 100%
Bad: AssCreed, Infamous, Every other open world no real content game. There is just no point in doing so, you have to be autistic or something. It is just more of the same quickly slapped quest that you do on routine, while you can just get a new game and enjoy some real content.
For me if there is something hidden behind that wall of monotony it makes sense to proceed and thus it gives real involvement to the game. No matter how horrible is the reward. If there is some soul into it, it feels amazing

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, because finding out what all of the soul abilities and weapons were like was part of the fun

Not in the case of something like Metroid Prime 2, where performing a glitch early in the game lets you collect some items twice.

But that second instance isn't a new item; nothing new gets collected. You have collected 100% of the stuff.

On topic now, I think Yoshis Island is great in this regard, because the game itself is somewhat easy, but 100% completion is a great challenge.

I also think Zelda games do a good job with this, because you can challenge yourself with 3 heart runs, explore and solve puzzles and quests to achieve a hard earned 100%, or just play casually and do enough sidequestan and exploran to get enjoyment and get the equipment/health to have an easier time through the game.

Majoras Mask gets special attention, because it has a stellar 52 heart pieces to find, but if you don't want to full complete, then collecting all masks takes most of the sidequests and especially the great ones (Kafei Anju is GOAT sidequest of all games), and you get a reward just for getting all masks. It's perfect IMO.

FFX-2

I think the way to enjoy that game is to disregard the % completion, play it until you get bored, then watch the "best ending" on youtube.

Fuck yeah. Basically the paradigm for that kind of thing.

That game, like most metroid games, just counts how many powerups you have and gives you 1% for each. Normally it adds up to 100%, but with that glitch you have 101 powerups so it says 101%. As far as the game is concerned, those two missile tanks are separate items.

Jak II was pretty annoying, because I collected 285 of the 286 Precursor Orbs hidden throughout the game in secret locations, and I saw where the last one was in the final area, and I thought "I'll just come back later to get it" because it was in a tricky place.

So after killing the final boss I found out the last area is the only area that you can not return to ever again. I was unable to 100% the game, had 285/286 orbs. Fuck.

Fuck

Super Mario 64 because stars are genuinely satisfying to collect from the ranging difficulty of tasks to get them.

Crash Bash because Gem and Crystal challenges deliberately put you at varying levels of simply unfair challenges where you're at a disadvantage to everyone else to comp!ete fucking BULLSHIT.

I fucking hate this. Main reason I'll never 100% Rayman 2.

Rayman 2 had that?

I sure loved how they put those coins often at the end of a level or in extremely arbitrary areas that couldn't be backtracked to. Not to mention the auto scroll levels.

In principle the reward was solid with more gameplay but in 3 the "extra" gameplay was barely anything. Just an additive vehicle if I recall. Either way there was barely any challenge to the extra effort. Just replaying the same level you already beat.

Arc The Lad Collection

You had to collect every single Lum which often meant backtracking through the level in hopes that you missed it after you made that jump to the next section of the level that couldn't be backtracked.

It takes considerable effort, but doesn't require much of frustrating bullshit. In that regard it has the tightest design out of all gta games in the series.

I had fun 100%ing Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary cause it was fun to get to the collectibles. Underworld, however, I didn't even bother with. Instead of having a few collectibles in a level that require effort to get, they decided it would be a better idea to litter most of them in random urns on the ground all over the place. I really don't know why they took such a step back.