Quake Thread

As someone who's never played Quake 1 outside brief attempts at the N64 and Saturn port, what's the best way to play it? Any mods that are worthwhile?

Anyone got a link for the PAK files?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!rwoVmbhD!mUv75ePYXnojECfEyNJT-LIvte4J6QrAKdbRU23rzyE
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135
filedropper.com/id1hiprog
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fteqw with software emulation is god. You could just play the original version if you're just playing the singleplayer.

Use QuakeSpasm. It's the best sourceport for singleplayer.

Oh and you can just use the GoG installer and grab the pak files from that.

mega.nz/#!rwoVmbhD!mUv75ePYXnojECfEyNJT-LIvte4J6QrAKdbRU23rzyE

Don't forget to download an iso with the soundtrack, you'll be missing on some fine ass ambient tunes.

Is there a better looking version with modern controls? FPS from the 90s all play as bad as they look.

Quake has key configurations

Yeah, but there is no aim assist. It plays like garbage with my xbox controller. If a FPS can't be played with a controller is it even worth playing?

Is this bait? This has to be bait.

You aren't a special snowflake just because you use archaic limited input devices like a keyboard + mouse while the rest of us use superior controllers. How do you even aim with a mouse? I touched one once while trying to play quack, since it doesn't have controller support, and it went all over the place. I tried aiming at an enemy and got no aim assist and died. I uninstalled that garbage immediately.

Whether this is bait or not should have been obvious.

anyone have a download for the 2 mission packs?

>Playing an FPS on PC with a gamepad
10/10

Agree with that: I used to play with DarkPlaces, until I noticed all the bugs with Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, I recently gave QuakeSpasm a go… and I think I'll stick to it: they even got the original water effect (that is for the surface only) and square particles.

Instant classic.

Thanks user!

True, thumbsticks are much better and more accurate than computer mice for most things. Especially doing art in MSPaint, I feel so much more accurate with a thumbstick.

God fucking damn it, not again. Where can I get a quake release with the soundtrack?

private torrent trackers

Grab the soundtrack and add it yourself?
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135

Thanks. I just think it's silly that no releases contain the music. Why wouldn't I want to play with the music?

Download the soundtrack and burn it to a CD. Any music in your disk drive will play.

I know I've got everything you need, but I'm also a lazy user…
gimme a sec, I'll upload that somewhere

If anyone's interested: ready to play Quake with QuakeSpasm, includes Mission Pak 1 & 2 and their soundtrack (the download is 145Mb and I don't know how long they keep files online, get it now if you want it)

filedropper.com/id1hiprog

Quake is amazing, quake is everyone. Get yourself quakespasm, that's my favourite source port without much fancy new upgrades, plays pretty much like glQuake. Good luck.

And don't forget to play on nightmare. It's not actually that hard as it sounds. It's pretty much mandatory like ultra violence in doom or serious difficulty in serious Sam.

Another small tip. Select always run off in options and type +speed in console. For some reason it makes you walk slightly faster. Bind jump to right mouse button and try bunnyhopoing, just don't hold W while you do it !

Thanks user.

Anyway op, you can get various HD texture and high resolution packs. I played darkplaces quake last, and it was good.