Contrarian piece of shit thread

what was the most widely-acclaimed game that you absolutely hated?

The bigger question is: who cares?

Just waiting for you stupid faggots to post actually good games.

VTMB and New Vegas. Didn't absolutely hate, but were well below my expectations.

Dark Messiah is fairly flawed, especially later in the game, but still sufficiently fun.

Checked

Why did you hate it ?

We might as well post every single popular game in this thread. There's not a single game in existence that absolutely everyone here likes.

As far as I remember the Dark Messiah was kind of a mixed bag when it got released. It was more of an interesting game rather than a masterpiece.

see>>10373976

Can't say I like unpopular opinion threads that much.

Go flaunt your shit taste somewhere else.

Crash Team Racing.

Fallout series.
Souls series.
Dragon's dogma.
Diablo series.
Doom 1, 2, and 64.

you have reddit for that

Took the words right out of my mouth.

DD is another game I feel is vastly overrated. It's better than Dark Messiah at least though.

Your favourite game.
All of my favourite games are great however.

hi >>>/reddit/
bye >>>/reddit/

Here's your reply.

Who is this semen demon?

Painkiller is a FPS which focuses too much on throwing swathes of enemies at you, instead of having you face properly thought-out challenges. It lacks the balance and challenge of Serious Sam, as playing this game gave me the same sensation of playing any modern military shooter, where I felt I didn't have to use my brain at all.

Purgatory feels rather inconsistent, one moment I'm fighting skeletons in a graveyard, then ninjas in an opera house, then crusaders and hell dogs in an ancient temple, then junkies and gangsters in a Mediterranean harbor, and what else. At least the levels look really nice from a visual standpoint. Most enemies are divided into melee rushers, hitscan enemies (which are thankfully not that accurate), some guys who throw projectiles or grenades, though that's it, really. I still don't know what those Baba Yaga hags were even supposed to do on the field but die. Each level will have you facing visually different enemies, but their individual functions don't really matter in the grand scale of things. One of Serious Sam's strengths was that it used MULTIPLE enemy types at once to create more challenging situations, in Painkiller you'll only fight three different enemy types at most. Of course I'll be able to use the same strategy over and over for a largely homogenous pack of enemies. The level design does little to spice this up. The more interesting enemies like crusaders who fire three arrows in a wide pattern or rocketjumping gangsters only appear in one or two levels before they're immediately discarded. Instead of sticking with a set of enemies and balancing the game around them, the drive to have new enemies in each level makes each enemy feel less unique and memorable as a result. It does help contribute to the overall heavy metal atmosphere, though.

The weapon arsenal looks and feels cool, but functionally a lot of things feel out of place. There is a lot of functional overlap between the gatling gun and shuriken launcher, and while the stake gun does deal more damage at longer ranges, one shot of the rocket launcher usually does the job in one direct hit and is easier to pull off as a rocket does not fly in an arc. While the freeze shot of the shotgun is satisfying to use, having such a hard counter against enemies with more HP begs me to ask 'why even bother facing against enemies with more HP'. It's not like freeze shot ammo is rare, or that freezing large enemies in combat is hard to pull off. Compare this to Serious Sam where switching weapons isn't instantaneous, you are switching weapons all the time to deal with the threat in front of you, and wasting too much time will cause the enemy to catch up with you and make things even more difficult. At least most weapons were mashed together so I don't have to switch weapons in Painkiller that often, not like it'd really matter with an instant switch speed. There's also some combo attacks, like the Painkiller weapon being able to shoot out a razorjack which is quite useless in the grand scheme of things, being able to pierce a mid-air grenade with your stake in order to create a long-range high-damage projectile (which is again quite useless overall considering pulling this off is next to impossible if you're moving), and an actually useful penetration shot from the shuriken/lightning gun.

Then there's the tarot card stuff, which I guess is this game's variant of scoring. Tarot cards make life easier by giving you some bonuses, but first you need to unlock them by completing challenges, such as picking up a certain amount of souls, not picking up armor, and more things which limit you in one way or another. Then you need gold to use them. You can find gold by smashing every single object in a level (do NOT play this game if you're a hardcore completionist, you WILL go insane), or alternatively, monster juggling. Monster juggling works by killing off most enemies so nobody will attack you, and then repeatedly mashing RMB with the Painkiller on a corpse before it disappears so that it can drop bonus gold like a piƱata. Which is a neat concept and is fun to do, but completely out of place in a game where you kill legions of enemies at once. If monster juggling could be pulled off on multiple enemies at once, then I'd be down with it, but as it stands it feels completely out of place. Monster juggling is probably also the reason why enemies don't drop souls instantly. After killing an enemy, you have to wait before it disappears so you can eat its soul for health, and usually makes you wait like a chump. Why can't the enemies just drop soul in the time and place of their death, as the corpse remains for juggling purposes? Souls are pretty important, since they are your only source for health as medkits in this game are rather rare. Enemies thankfully don't deal major damage (on Nightmare). Maybe Tarot Cards are more useful in higher difficulties, but I never used one up until the Alastor fight where I didn't want to die from the guaranteed falling damage. Though the extent you have to go through to make a Tarot Card work have me questioning its use as a crutch. IMO Tarot Cards would work better as a trump card if using them also had a negative effect on top of its bonuses like the statues in Bastion, otherwise it just makes things easy for the sake of it.

There's also hueg bosses to fight, though the first, third, and fifth are mostly just 'shoot at it until it dies' as you keep circlestrafing, whereas the second boss is just a waste of time and the fourth boss is actually decent. Separating the phases of the boss by having it break another floor in a tower is a cool idea, however most of the time you are going to receive guaranteed falling damage if you don't manage to fall on top of a pillar, whose position beneath you is guesswork for the most part. The third and fourth boss also highlight the physics engine, where a boss destroys all the scenery which makes for TONS OF RUBBLE OBSTRUCTING YOUR MOVEMENT. Seriously, the rubble is no fun to deal with and I can't blast it out of the way either.

Painkiller is a dumb shooter, and a good choice for metalheads or those who need to shut their brain off. If you just want to kill a lot of things that move with cool-looking weapons, have at it.

better be careful how you refer to Holla Forums's daughteru in the future , or else to the gas chamber with you

why did this game never get a sequel? It literally had the best first person combat ever created

Vampire The masquerade bloodlines.
Why did people like that shit? The actual gameplay parts were fucking shit. Was it just for waifus?

Holla Forums can fucking deal with it as long as she's getting vigorously ravished by an Aryan.

Do you want a bayonet in your eye ?

this ain't white Korra we're talking about you degenerate

A decent assessment. I went back to Painkiller and it's really just a bunch of good ideas that wears out its welcome before I can convince myself to finish. It's not hard, just boring.