Devil May Cry 4: The Story Makes Sense Edition

"The story in the game makes absolutely no sense." Wrong. The story is coherent from start to finish. Let me break it down for you.

Lady, the Devil Hunter for hire, has been investigating the city of Fortuna and the Order of the Sword, which is a fanatical religious institution formed around the worship of the Dark Knight Sparda, while in search of new contracts. She notices that key members of the Order's clergy have ordered the capture of a large number of demons and the acquisition of Devil Arms. Lady views this as suspicious, so she takes her discovery to Dante and Trish, who are ultimately convinced that Lady's concerns are worth looking into, and the two of them begin an investigation.

The game opens with Kyrie performing a profound musical performance that precedes the sermon during the Festival of the Blade. Nero is late because he is attacked by demons while heading toward the cathedral, but manages to make it in time to catch the end of the performance. Following Kyrie's number, the Order's head priest, Sanctus, begins to deliver his sermon but is immediately interrupted when Dante breaks through the glass ceiling and shoots him in the face. The community members and clergy alike begin to panic and citizens flee the cathedral while the members of the Holy Knights engage Dante in battle. Kyrie's brother and captain of the Holy Knights, Credo, rushes to Sanctus' aid and Dante takes this opportunity to try and cut him down while his back is turned. Kyrie, who is being rushed out by Nero, notices this and tries to call out to her brother, but gets pushed to the ground by Dante in the process. This makes Nero angry, and the two slug it out. They fight fiercely, and Dante ultimately escapes. When Credo returns, he tasks Nero with following and conducting an investigation on Dante.

Nero travels through Fortuna City, where he slays hordes of demons, and makes his way towards a mining town on the outskirts of the city. Nero encounters the first Hellgate and an arch demon, Berial, that has traveled through it. Nero thwarts the demon and moves through the mines towards Fortuna Castle. He briefly meets Trish, who is disguised as the high ranking Order official known as Gloria, and continues further into the castle, where he comes across more demons, including possessed Holy Knight armor, a second Hellgate and yet another arch demon. Nero explores the castle and eventually discovers a research facility that is owned by the Order and run by a scientist named Agnus, who is head alchemist for the religious institution.

Agnus explains to Nero that he had spent recent years conducting research on demonic energy. Agnus has been instructed by Sanctus to try and extract and harness demonic energy from the slew of demons that the Order has been capturing, as well as to understand how to channel said energy into the Devil Arms. Agnus explains that he created the Hellgates in order to provide the Order with a limitless supply of demonic energy. Sanctus' ultimate goal is to use the sword Yamato to unleash the power of an ancient Hellgate that towers over the city, but so far Agnus hasn't been able to reconstruct the broken blade. As Nero's life drains from him while he hangs onto a wall, pinned by Agnus' demons, a demonic energy flows through his body. This energy resonates with Yamato, and the sword magically fuses together shortly before Nero takes it into his possession. Nero escapes Agnus' grasp and decides he ought to report back with Credo in order to share his revelations with the rest of the Order.

Meanwhile, Sanctus, who has been in a comatose state since Dante tried to eliminate him, awakens thanks to the demonic energy that was fused into him prior to his appearance at the Festival of the Blade. Sanctus commands Credo to find and arrest Nero after Agnus brings them the news that Nero has Yamato in his possession and is in control of great demonic power.

Nero crosses a bridge that extends out from behind a waterfall and enters a vast forest. He briefly meets Dante, who explains that the environment is an illusion that is being crafted by a nearby Hellgate. Nero treks through the thick and fog covered forest and eventually finds the arch demon that rules over the third Hellgate. He defeats the monstrosity and finds his way out of the forest. As Nero emerges from the forest and approaches a lone castle in the midst of a vast ocean, he is approached by Credo who places him under arrest. The two do battle, and Nero defeats Credo despite his "ascended" abilities. Kyrie, who was kidnapped by Agnus as an insurance policy to use against Credo and Nero as leverage, sees her brother and boyfriend locked in combat and lets out a surprised gasp that breaks Nero's attention away from his foe. Agnus then makes the terms of this kidnapping clear and goads Nero into pressing onwards.

Nero explores this new castle in the ocean. He works his way to the keep where he confronts Agnus. As Agnus is defeated, Sanctus appears and kidnaps Kyrie while Nero fends off a group of possessed Holy Knight armor. Nero descends deeper into the castle where he eventually meets Dante. The two half demons fight it out after Dante explains that he is on a mission to reclaim his brother's sword, a sword that is used to connect the human and demon worlds. Dante agrees to let Nero use the sword until he can stop Sanctus and find Kyrie, and Nero makes his way into the castle and towards a large chamber where a gigantic statue is being defended by hordes of demonic entities. Nero ascends platforms and slays demons until he confronts Sanctus yet again. He manages to contend with Sanctus until the gigantic angel statue, known as the Savior, animates and captures Nero. Sanctus explains that he intended on capturing and imprisoning Dante inside the statue to serve as its source of energy, but has instead decided to use Nero and Kyrie for the job. Santucs takes Yamato and presents it to Agnus, who then uses it to unleash the power of the Hellgate underneath Fortuna City's cathedral, before going on a Godzilla style rampage on the city.

With Nero imprisoned, Dante's hand is forced into action. He works his way through the jungle, through the castle and mines, and back towards Fortuna City, while destroying the Hellgates, the arch demons that occupy them, and collecting the Devil Arms (Yamato included) that power them along the way. With their sources of power destroyed, all that is left is to confront the Savior. Dante cuts it down to size and manages to deliver Yamato to Nero by penetrating the crystal on the Savior's chest. Nero escapes his imprisonment with Yamato in hand, and works his way through the insides of the Savior. He confronts Sanctus, who is wielding the sword Sparda, and they fight to the death. Nero uses the power of Yamato to cut down Sanctus and rescue Kyrie. The two escape the Savior and Nero uses his Devil Buster to crush the Savior's head. After a brief farewell to Dante, Nero finally wraps his arms around Kyrie; As they're about to lock lips, demons appear and Nero immediately sets out to dispatch them.

TL;DR
Dante and Trish are contracted to investigate a cult that worships Sparda. The leader of the cult wants to use Devil Arms and demonic energy to acquire unwavering and relentless power, probably for political gain.

The main problem with the game is that a lot of vital concepts are sort of gleamed over and you're expected to find out what they mean for yourself. There isn't much in the way of exposition, and character motivations are very clear cut and primitive. Dialogue isn't too bad but it can get really cheesy at times. Aside from all this, the scenes are wacky and full of anime tropes. You could say that the story is quite generic and bland, which makes it easily forgotten. However, it DOES make sense.

yeah, nah, fuck you. bump.

go fuck yourself

thanks user

shit man, shills are out in full force today. Perhaps Ron was right.

Wasn't that supposed to be totally obvious?
Because I played through the game once a couple years back without paying much attention and that's pretty much the only thing I remember.

But what was Vergil doing?

I don't remember ever hearing anyone say the story didn't make sense, the only thing that ever seemed even remotely confusing was why Dante would fight Nero the second time since I think he knew by then Nero wasn't doing anything bad but I guess that's equal parts Dante testing him and just being bored.

Why did you feel the need to make this? DMC4's plot isn't confusing in any way. I don't remember it being common sentiment that the story doesn't make sense. This entire wall of text seems pointless and to be the result of senseless autism.

That's what is not explained, nor his connection to Nero other than than implication he's his father.

Capcom didn't do shit to explain it in SE either.

All I know is that whenever this game is brought up you'll always hear at least one person going on about how shitty the story is, and one of the reasons stated for that is because it supposedly makes no sense. I don't think so, I think it makes perfect sense insofar as the plot is concerned, despite that the overall presentation leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to character development and motivation and such. It's very straightforward and simple. For instance, we're never given an explicit reason why Sanctus wants to open the Hellgate aside from "ultimate power"

Dante was mostly doing it to cool Nero down. Work out some of that anger.

What kind of idiot levied this accusation in the first place ?

You're letting a minor, inconsequential thing like that get you way too worked up. Who cares if one user every so often says the story doesn't make sense?

the implication was pretty much confirmed, throughout the game and even by the VAs
What I wanna know is, why did Vergil seek his father's power in dmc3 asking dante why he refuses to gain power and that without power he cannot protect anything?

I guess. I don't think I'm worked up about it. Maybe just bored after watching the all the game's cutscenes. It beats shitposting.

Complex over being unable to protect his mother from Mundus. He felt if he was stronger, he would have been able to protect her.

Still doesn't explain why he went to Fortuna in the first place. Forgot to mention that in my previous post.

IIRC to fight Mundus, as to why i don't know.

well here's the thing with that user. You have to consider that those people are retarded faggots and some others just want to try and start shit, a good example was the guy who was posting earlier was using a VPN to shit up. I'll be honest with you, DMC4 has a pretty simplistic story, lovable characters, but the story is fairly simple and easy to understand. It's nothing anyone should worry about in any game other than in an RPG. I highly recommending ignoring such people or calling them retarded for not knowing how such a simple story works. Try it like GTAIV, where you have objectively bad car controls, but it has this pseudo realism thing going on for it. If anyone questions you about the story, just ask them if they've read a book before, just like how GTA IV fanboys automatically resort to asking fans of other open world games "If they've ever driven a car before". the lack of experience will shut them up and will make them realize that they're in the wrong without actually being in the wrong or not. Either way if you wanna shut people like that up, ask them if they read a book, and if so then what book.

*to fight Mundus, maybe he had his mother killed i don't know.

that much I get, there was quite an in depth discussion about this stuff a couple cuhrazey threads ago
but really, not joining forces with his brother was a retarded idea
but then again, it fits his character, cold on the outside, but a hurt child on the inside

Dude what? You LITERALLY just described how the game unfolds point for point as you play it. You're not explaining how it makes sense, you're just telling people how the story went.

I can't help but wonder what his reaction would be to Trish, if was still around.

*if he

Vergil was ideally opposed to Dante. He was entirely willing to endanger innocent lives in pursuit of his own power. He was also very focused on self-improvement. He wanted to be strong enough so he wouldn't need to team up with anybody.

He'd probably ask her to put on some decent clothes before trying to take her head off
it's funny how the whole of dmc3 appears to be Vergil forcing out the Demon in Dante
There was many chances for him to defeat him or worse, but I guess he was hoping Dante would come to his side

that may be true indeed, but throughout dmc3 I couldn't help but feel like he was calling for his brother to understand him, I doubt he ever would've killed Dante if that would've granted him their father's powers

The way he saw things, Dante was just plain wrong in his beliefs, and he wanted to show his brother what was right. It's like seeing a family member pursue a life style that is just completely stupid, and you want to help them out of it.

we all know that feeling.

or hopefull very few of us do.

sis went into SJWism, got into an abusive relationship and got out. she's too trusting.

Same with my dad, who actually has a mental disorder called Borderline Personality Disorder, which makes it literally impossible to talk about certain subjects around him and he literally cannot think in certain ways because he pathologically lies and bullies if he's exposed as being an asshole.

Imagine a smaller form of DSP as a father. of topic, but DSP himself most definitely has Borderline as "rewriting history" and deluding yourself to make yourself look good (because Borderline is essentially devoting yourself to an ideal, yet deluding yourself if you don't match up with it ie "most progressive dad who cannot be wrong" or "i'm better then everyone else") in that pairing is one of the big symptoms.

Dad has PTSD from the gulf war as well and a shitty childhood as well and Borderline usually comes from some sort of abuse, so again, off-topic, I'm certain that DSP was horribly mistreated by his family, who demeaned him and the like.

Sins of the fathers are the reason people like him exist.

And back on topic, Vergil also exhibited borderline personality disorder, since he was convinced that he was in the right and any rebuttal to that was illogically ignored or resulted in violence.

Your family is fucked

How the hell did he pass a mental check for military service? He would have been screened before from what you're telling?

nice pasta

I'd wager he was fully aware of his actions, still caring about his brother, trying to have both power and him by his side, the childish kind of selfishness if you will.
I doubt he would've given in after being defeated in the demon realm and just told Dante to leave him be and go back before the portal closes had he suffered from BPD or the like, or maybe Dante just beat it of of him.
In the end, it was a child's tantrum over emotions he couldn't cope with alone and having been enabled by Arkham didn't help with the situation.

This party's getting crazy. Let's rock!

This is probably right, but the way I saw Vergil in DMC3 was someone who wanted to keep Dante from being killed later, even if it meant beating him down now.

I figured Vergil wanted Dante to understand that they're the only family they have left, and whatever killed their mother will eventually come for them unless they get stronger. Dante, in Vergil's eyes, simply didn't care. So when Dante refused Vergil's line of thinking, he decided to go through with his plan to gain more power by himself, and had to fight Dante to achieve his goals.

in short, Vergil wants more power to protect what he has left, and Dante is all he has left. If fighting Dante now allows him to save his life later, so be it.

I understood the story and it was the first DMC I'd ever played