Theoretical shift of the industry

Alright Holla Forums, what kind of sequence of events need to happen in the modern world for a real crash to happen again?

Now I know that the first crash happened because a bunch of shit got released in rapid succession that even normalfags were sick of buying anything and obviously only big companies like Nintendo survived the first time.

I read multiple times that Sony is about to go bankrupt and only time will tell how true those claims are. So what do you think needs to happen for a focus shift on the market? Releasing sub-par games doesn't seem to work and normalfags eat that shit up. The rules definitely changed, so we're probably looking for a different trigger here.

Thoughts?

good question, but really we won't know until it happens. i think it's already begun, frankly; the AAA industry is simply making sequels or prequels and there's no innovation anymore. there's too much money invested in each project for them to risk losing it with a gamble so they all play it safe, and people - even the normalfags - are starting to catch on. see: battlefield 1; I work with a ton of LOL SUCH A NERD XD normalfags and none of them have any interest in it only one said he won't buy it because of muh revisionism, the rest just think WW1 isn't an exciting setting. or even better, look at the newest call of duty - even though personally it's the first CoD i've been interested in since MW2 every normalfag on earth decries it as shit

when the big guys die - call of duty, battlefield, world of warcraft (and legion is their hail mary, believe it) - it's going to create a vacuum and companies are going to rush to fill it. this'll result in the situation you described, a flood of total garbage resulting in most companies dying off. nintendo will survive because they always do, sony likely will too thanks to their insane amounts of music royalties, film work etc but i don't know of any other gaming companies that have branched out that far

tl;dr idk my bff jill

Ironically the new COD actually looks different from the old one's. I wonder if it's just the bandwagon effect of "cool to hate it". My guess is some people started to hate it and now most of them don't know why they do it in the first place. Like the experiment where they put a bunch of monkeys in the same room and turned on the sprinklers each time a monkey tried to get the banana on a ladder in the middle of the room. After some time they replaced each monkey with different one's until no originals where left. The new one's just beat each other when a monkey tried to grab the banana even without the need of sprinkles.
Its crazy how the insight of the experiment can be applied to many forms of retard outbursts in recent salt parties or similar outrage.

I think big companies will buy out successfull indie projects before they go down entirely. I often wonder what EA will do once the ideas for new games stopp coming in. Buying out the competition won't work forever.

Today, the normalfags definition of "shit" is just a game that's either

So, I think we're well on our way with shit like Fallout 4 and Numale Sky being buggy as fuck.

The next Elder Scroll will probably suffer from this.

Next TES will either be a hail mary in the form of complete rollback of their casual approach or a shooter.

My guess

If FO4 is any indication I predict

This shit basically writes itself. Copy & Paste is Bethesda's new way of business. The sad thing is that even though I massively enjoyed FO4 and NMS salt threads the TES one's will be crushing at the same time.

Damn, call me naive but since ME3 every big release seems to get worse.

inb4:

We heard your complaints and put skills back in! Now we have the following:

Three attributes: Strength, Intelligence and Agility!

Three skills: Hitharding, Magicking and Hidey-sneaking!

It's gonna be VR only, for maximum immersion!

For only 99.99$ per character created you can play as a Beast race! But don't worry, it's worth it! We heard your complaints and as an homage to our previous games the beast races can't wear helmets anymore!

Oh yeah, the protagonist is not only voiced, but he can also get sad if the enemies are mean, which would result in a debuff! What an immersive mechanic!

TES has been dead for a while now.

All we can do now is mod Morrowind, me our own RPG's and laugh at the stupid fucking sword simulators and rpg-lites that are being marketed today.

A gaming crash will literally never happen.
Corporations managed to brainwash the younger generations to feel entitled for playing a good game and to defend any criticism of their games as if it was a personal attack.

This is a cult now, not an industry. And cults rarely die.
It's too late.

the crash will never happen.

Actually, I was thinking:

Three attributes:
Like in Skyrim, but this time instead of choosing it just upgrades all three per level

And for skills you have:

I imagine there will be a voices Protagonist, but TES never really had fleshed dialogue, so I imagine he'll only day generic shit like "Yes, No, I accept it, Tell me more, I've completed the task"

Oh, someone already beat me to it. What I get for not reading.

Hallelujah.

Asian girls are so fucking hot.

only on rare occasions and mostly korean ones

Are you people for real?

Asians have it much worse

Isn't it just Sony's Gaming division that's running low on money? I'd find it sorta hard to believe that with all the TVs and shit they make they'd be that close to going totally broke.

If only you knew
I know women that literally paint their fucking face to hide the shitty skin they have, and there's A LOT of them.

I'm here working my ass off to have a clean skin because men don't use make up, and in the mean time women just fucking bury their shittyness under make up.

Never trust how beautiful a woman is until you see her without make up.

Considering Sales of their games you are dreaming something chronic, although Todd already admitted that the dialogue system was a failure so you aren't getting a voiced protag in Skyrim 2.

I wouldn't believe a word coming from him.

We can do more than mod Morrowind, we can make our own TES games with the power of OpenMW. At least, we will be able to, when 1.0 is released. If you want anything more complex then a reimplementation of Vanilla Morrowind modding tools, you're going to have to wait till they implement some script extenders, which will come after 1.0.

Let me be the first to say if I had a crazy lover, I'd tell her to never do anything to a bed head.

Also, I've seen women without makeup. Average is just fine. They're not landwhales after all.

Words of Wisdom right there

Sony's entertainment/electronic arm maybe, but as a company overall it's not gonna happen
and if it looked like it did, the Japanese government would step in to save them
Most of their money is made on their financial and insurance wings

A possible theory I have for why these AAA/yearly release games survive is the idea of cyclic audience.

An audience of buyers who buy shit for a few years, gain experience that the sequel games suck and stop buying due to burnout but are replaced by a younger, less experienced audience which starts the cycle again.

And that younger audience could be something as simple younger siblings/neighbors or just normalfag sheep being influenced by advertising and have to have follow the latest craze.

TL:DR: For every member of the older audience leaves they are replaced by younger audience.

You apply this to other mediums too, one of the Pokemon anime producers basically admitted a few years ago this what their audience is (causing them to have repeating plotlines).

Even successful western series like The Simpsons/Spongebob must rely on this.

EA takes advantage of this as it fires it older higher payed staff so they can hire young people who really want a job and pay them little (with no overtime pay) all because they finally achieved their dream of making video games.

With CoD, some of that original audience who first started playing with CoD4:MW and stopped playing are going to be coming back for the Remaster.

To break the cycle it may require a massive disruptive event to stop people from playing (Eg something world changing) or a better product coming out at the same time.

The new CoDs with Advanced Warfare actually seem to be decent. It's still annoying that the brand name limits the single player campaign potential but with black Ops 3 I was honestly surprised with how much fun I had with it for what it is, shit was even faster and better optimized than the new DOOM.

There never was a "gaming crash".

THERE WAS A NORTH AMERICAN CONSOLE CENTRIC CRASH

The rest of the world didn't give a shit.
This entire board knows NOTHING about video games and video game history and just parrots the same stupid shit all day.
There won't be a new crash because there NEVER WAS A GLOBAL CRASH IN THE FIRST PLACE.

we don't need a global crash, only another amerifat crash

If there were any sort of crash to happen. It'd come from the ever inflating AAA budgets and their own ridiculous sales expectation. Final Fantasy needs to sell 10 million copies(In a month too IIRC) to not be considered a failure. And you'll probably see the same thing with Cowabooty, Elders Scrolls, etc. in the near future.
Then middle budget titles will rise to the top again and when the gaming industry loses money from all these big series/studios hemorrhaging money then the SJW hipster faggots will go away because they'll be scared off by the propsect of *gasp* EFFORT!

That's exactly what needs to happen though. It's not as if the japs are cucked.

Exactly.

If capcom and nintendo are any indication of where the vidya market is going, japan needs a crash too.

The japanese division are fine though.

The 80s and 90s were a time of pioneering. Great games were released because it was an experimental era, and devs were seeing what worked.

The 00s were a fading 'silver age', people took less risks and a formula was slowly established.

The 10s have been a stagnant time, with hardly any major risks being taken by companies, since everything is sedentary. Normalfags will slowly get tired of this until it reaches a tipping point. I predict that by the 2020s, we'll get major changes as the cycle resets itself.

In other words, vidya should die so it can be reborn.

Unlikely. They'll buy whatever is being marketed the hardest. Actual quality doesn't matter when it comes to casuals. There's a reason why so many of a game's sales are in the first week.

For a real, honest-to-god vidya crash the major distributors of games needs to collapse, so any sequence of events would include the following:
We're already kind of seeing the last three, with the abandonment of the xbox brand and the push for WinLive being on life support, Nintendo losing its touch, and Ghostjusters fucking Sony's shit up.

I don't think we really need a full crash though, just a downturn to shuffle the dev pool and scare the jews into other fields.

Head divisons of their corporations are letting their branch corporations go crazy, yes they are at fault too.
And capcoms shit decisions were all decided by the main Corporation in Japan. The divisions are not doing fine.
I will give you Metroid FF and SFV as examples

I would be willing to bet that the next crash, if it happens, will be due to gimmicks, and it'll be consoles that take the big hit, not gaming as a whole.

Imagine whatever gimmick you hate the most. Is it the Kinnect? Motion controls? The WiiU screen? VR Headsets? What would you do if you were A) a normalfag and B) you HAD to use that gimmick for your vidya?

The Kinnect is a great example. Remember when the Xbone was going to require it? And it was going to be ALWAYS online? That did a lot of damage to the Xbone, and even when they backpedaled you can clearly see that they didn't recover entirely from that bad press. The Xbone has had shit sales and it has essentially no exclusive titles on it. What few games were left as exclusives are now part of that bullshit push to force people to use Microsofts PC gaming digital storefront that is conveniently only accessible via Windows 10. In short: the Xbone is a failure of a console, and the Kinnect helped to make it happen. The Xbone, all in all, was an entire console of gimmicks: always online, always hooked to a camera, meant to replace your cable box and let you watch TV through it, etc.

The WiiU's gamepad is a similar thing: it came across as a huge gimmick, most games underutilize it, and it didn't end up having the same impact on the market that the Wii's controls did.

And now the PS4 is doing the whole VR thing, which is still so expensive that most of us can't afford it, and most normalfags aren't into vidya enough to spend that much on a headset. At least with the Occulus or the Vive there's some longevity/freedom involved as they're both on PC and they're relatively easy to use with unofficial products with the right tweaks. A PS4 VR headset that is ONLY good for the PS4 and has a small handful of games worth playing is going to tank. Combine that with the PS4 Neo and whatever other money grubbing they do, and that'll do Sony some damage, at least from a PR prospective.

So all three major console lines were given a solid blow this gen by way of gimmicks, but you KNOW they're not going to stop. Next gen will have another gimmick or two, as will the next. The majority of these gimmicks will not be well received. For every Wiimote you get, there will be another 10 Kinnects or PS Moves. Eventually people will get so tired of it and the gimmicks will get so desperate that it'll knock one of the main three lines out, just like Atari and Sega got knocked out. They might keep making games, but consoles will stop.

I anticipate that M$ is going to shift entirely to PC gaming and if they make another mainline console that isn't some variation of the Xbone then it'll essentially be a Steam Machine with crossplay between PC and itself. Nintendo has done so well with mobile platforms - including mobile games and the 3DS - that they might eventually ditch home consoles all together. Sony, meanwhile, seems like the healthiest of the three right now from my perspective, but I think going all in on VR is going to hurt them in the long term.

But once the gimmicks have hurt the console market, PC gaming and mobile gaming will become the big things. Indie devs are getting a bigger market share by the year, and mobile games print money (see Flappy Bird). People already have PCs that can run many indie games and people already have smart phones that can run mobile games, so these games have the advantage of accessibility that a console just can't beat. Why pay $300 for a box that can play Halo when you can just spend $15 on an indie game that gives you a similar level of entertainment and that will run on a device you already own?

All in all, I think it'll be more of a whimper than a bang when the crash happens. Consoles will have their presence heavily reduced and PC/mobile platforms will be the main things for everyone, nomies included.

There won't ever be a crash because most of the big gaming companies have more stock in other technologies than they do in video games.

Interestingly enough, the one that has the least is Nintendo. So if there's a real video game crash, they'll probably be the first to go.

Their share value jumped way ahead of Sony's in the wake of Pokemon Go

This meme that Sony is still this large media conglomerate needs to die, Sony used to be a fucking huge company in the 90s, they aren't that big anymore

This thread might be b8, but regardless

Nintendo wasn't a big company back then, you stupid fuck. And the game crash was localized in North America

Imagine the scenario back in 1983

-Atari did NOT have any licensing requirements on their games

-Atari has a monopoly on home consoles

-It is currently the Golden age of Arcade Games

A series of really shitty games were released on the 2600 because of a lack of quality control. Atari had to adjust their annual earnings in response to sales of the 2600 plummeting because they thought they could still market a console from 1978. Everyone is going back to arcades, and investors are in a panic

This was the video game crash of 1983. hundreds of American game companies went out of business as a result and most American console makers dropped out and went back to making toys or arcade machines

Nintendo, a Japanese company, would be mostly unaffected by the crash because they mainly made arcade machines and pong clones for the Japanese domestic market

Here's where I believe Nintendo, at least was back then, a master at marketing. They realized what the problems Atari made was and made changes to reflect this

When Nintendo stepped up to the home console market in 1985, they did several things no other company did

-They were perhaps the first game company to market their game console as an "Entertainment System" and went as far as to designing their console accordingly so consumers would see it fit alongside their VCR rather than as a toy, which many Americans felt games were at those times

-And secondly, they introduced a licensing program. They realized what killed Atari was flooding the market with bad games. By forcing game makers to license their products, they ensured only high quality software would end up on their platform (people were able to bypass this but the exception is never the rule)

-Lastly, they also avoided the mistakes Atari made by revising their console when hardware became cheaper by introducing the "Super" Nintendo Entertainment System instead of failing to respond to changing hardware markets like Atari did. Essentially starting the "generation" model we still have today, as other companies like SEGA had to respond to remain competative

By 1989, the game industry in America had not only recovered, it was now a multi-billion dollar industry worldwide

Now to respond to the question "what will it take for a second crash to come?" It fucking wont. Here's where you are completely fucking retarded

It wasn't the entire industry that crashed in America in '83, again, it was just the home console market, arcades thrived.

Knowing this, we can infer the game industry as a whole is very unlikely to ever crash as games are a very versatile medium. If home consoles were to crash again, the smartphone and PC markets would still thrive, for example