Deus Ex Thread

Can someone explain this shit to me? Why does it feel like low-tech is frowned upon in this game? I know I shouldn't be expecting a "press x to see some gay ass one-hit animation" style of gameplay, but if I'm doing a build that focuses on a certain thing, I should be allowed to do the damn thing. Am I doing something wrong here?

Other urls found in this thread:

kentie.net/article/dxguide/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Might depending in where you're hitting. Wait until you get the Dragons Tooth anyway. Loads of fun.

Low-tech is basically shit until you get the Dragon's Tooth, at which point it becomes a negligible skill because that sword is a combination one-hit kill and lockpick with 0 skill points.

Besides that, it's not that surprising that a game about high-tech nanoaugmented secret agents frowns upon the idea of using low-tech means of dispatch.

If you're doing a stealth+nonlethal run, low-tech is pretty important. It also helps if you are aiming for the back of their head or neck. The prod is also really effective.

You don't start out as a ubermensch

Because its the superior weapon

Baton can one hit knockout every hostile NPC from behind when undetected even on the highest difficulty

If you can't even manage that then go get the prod. The prod is the second strongest melee weapon until the sword and even then it is the best non lethal takedown method
Also don't invest in weapon skills, you don't need to.

I think you are, because you actually should be able to one-hit the NSF guards in the back of the head with the baton if your skill is Trained

untrained works just fine

Baton can one-hit KO guards with trained low-tech and getting them from behind, but where you've got to hit is kind of strange. It's somewhere on the back. And if you can't do that you can always stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

But he explicitly mentioned he dumped points into low-tech, it's at least Trained at this point

Idk man I wanted to get headpats from Sam and Paul for not killing the dindus.

I guess that makes sense. Isn't that kind of fucked though? It's hailed as the greatest game of all time yet it completely fucks anyone who wants to play it in a way that's logical?

It feels like it's completely RNG as to whether they get a one-hit KO, though. Idk, maybe it's because I'm crouching when I do it?

I'm on medium so I can stretch my wings and fuck around in the sandbox, don't bully and I'm pretty certain it's leveled to advanced with trained computer skill.

The hitboxes are kind of fucked. Usually aiming for the neck is always an instant KO regardless of weapon or skill level, though a Trained Baton hit to the back is a KO in most cases.

How are you expecting to hit them in the head when you're crouching? It's hitting their torso when you do that

I think you should improve your skills, OP. The first time I beat the game I was playing a melee character. Just keep playing, you'll get what you want.

gotcha

I'm so used to poorly made shit games both old and new, that I simply assumed any hit to the backside would count. Really kind of fucked up now that I think about it.

It isn't. Improve your aim, there is a sweet spot.

Stick with the prod. It will stun your oponents or knock them unconscious. A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate resistance

The prod needs ammo though, doesn't it?

The baton doesn't, and it's better, so what's the problem?

If you're using the stun prod the best place to stun them is right in the asshole or the back of the knee, for the baton you want to be standing and looking right at the nape of the neck

No, for the baton you want to crouchwalk as hard as you can into their asses and smack them in the tailbone. Pretty much everyone drops instantly.

Hitting an enemy with the prod is guaranteed to stun them after which you can easily knock them out from behind, or you can instantly knock an enemy out by prodding them in the neck.

uhh, what? I was just saying that the prod would be a bad idea to rely on since it needs ammo to be used.

Are the hitboxes really that retarded?

Have you ever been hit really hard in the tailbone? Shit hurts, man.

Hello

well i wouldn't mind if you were to hit me on the tail ;)

The prod actually does optimal damage on back of the body hits, not back of the head.
I usually aim for the neck, just above the shoulder blades with the baton, I guess the downswing catches the head.

Lowtech is easy mode. You just upgrade it once and hit enemies in the back to OHKO them.

Psh, by the time those guys show up you just smack them in the face with the Dragon Tooth. You did pick cyberlegs so you could outrun their projectiles, right?

I'M 100% BLACK

It's like you don't want to be a cyberninja or something.

Small of the back, tailbone, either way, it sure as shit isn't the neck or ass.

The more I learn of how broken some thing are in vanilla Deus Ex, the more appealing mods like GMDX start to look. What the fuck were Spector and co. even thinking?

They were thinking "how can we let the player have fun?"

I personally can't call it GOAT yet, but from the amount of shit I've seen that can be possible, you got to applaud that tiny ass dev team for packing it all into one game under 1GB.

No point carving them up with the Dragon Tooth if you're going for a full nonlethal playthrough.
My legs are okay

Despite what obvious gameplay improvements are possible, no modder has actually pulled them off

The use of that aug, other than picking up really heavy objects, is that it boosts your melee attack power. I remember using it to one hit guards with melee before getting my hands on the dragon tooth sword.

Wait no, I misremembered. Actually it's a choice between having an aug that lets you pick up heavy objects and having one that boosts your melee attack power. I remember going for the melee one and that lets you one-hit enemies with melee.

Full aggro with the baton with max sprinty legs, combat strength, shield, regen, power recirculator. I also used ADS, not my fault if they blow themselves up.
Most fun I've ever had with the game.

You get the lifting strength or the melee strength, not both.

The nice thing about this game is that you're probably gonna have fun no matter what combination of weapons and powers you pick up.

I chose the melee aug because I wanted to see how far I can push the melee in the game. That, and lifting heavy objects is nowhere near as important as in DXHR from what I've seen.

Well HR doesn't have melee combat period

i've been playing through recently and i never realized how strong max upgraded health regen is - it can out heal drowning, radiation, bullets, practically anything except toxin (which you can negate with upgraded Medical skill). Seriously it doesn't even cost that much bioelectric energy at that point in the game, which you can lessen with another aug and just spam cells if you need to. You just have to worry about rockets or something, which you can avoid pretty easily anyways

That too, but I was referring to how lifting heavy objects is a skill tree in HR. An important one, at that. Pretty much one of the first skills to grab if you want to get anywhere.

How the hell did you get it to that resolution? How the hell did you get your HUD to look legible?

i used the launcher from here kentie.net/article/dxguide/

and didn't mess with the HUD settings - just changing the resolution

Yep, health regen is crazy overpowered in DX, even at the first upgrade level it pretty well totally removes the need for first aid kits

For HR all you really need are the springy legs and the fall control augment and you can get anywhere

Excellent, thank you.

To be fair, the only shit you absolutely need is capture. Shit will get you into anywhere.

won't get you into some of the hidden vent areas and shit you need the jump or lift to get into, sometimes there're goodies down there like praxis kits

Sneak up to the badguy until you're touching him. This doesn't alert people in deus ex.

I've been told stealthlegs can make things even easier.

there isnt even any other way thats isnt pure uneeded autism

except none of the guns have the same pay off as melee does with Dragons Tooth - which will one shot even MJ12 Commandos. Even sniper rifles don't get that much damage or Plasma Rifles

Initial points wouldn't be nearly enough to make even the starter weapons viable. Two blasts from close range with the sawed off doesn't even take enemies down. What in fuck are you talking about, my man?

mj12 commandos actually have a weak spot right around the small of their back, where the torso meets the legs. they'll go down from 1 hit from the prod if you jab it in there

Bullshit, ain't no way. I have never seen an MJ12 commando even blink at the stun prod

Do you need to go into melee for this? I want to do another stealth silenced crossbow run.

It's true. You need to be right next to them, though.