THQ HAS RETURNED!

New Red Faction and Darksiders in development along with more!

For context after THQ died their Ips were auctioned off. So Deep Silver snagged Saints Row, Crytek got Homefront… someone else got Metro.

And Nordic Games, a literally who company, got the lion's share of THQ's IPs along with the THQ name and brand. Now rebranded as THQNordic.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

venturebeat.com/2016/08/12/nordic-games-brings-back-the-thq-name-rebrands-as-thq-nordic/
archive.is/6pow2
gog.com/forum/general/who_owns_the_rights_to_supreme_commander
forum.nordicgames.at/threads/178164-Supreme-Commander?s=61da3ffdbb9e2e9be0ee2a86d58d6fec&p=2656752&viewfull=1#post2656752
store.steampowered.com/app/451020/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Does this mark the return of mid tier publishers?

SPACE MARINE 2 NOW

Oh and here's an article.

venturebeat.com/2016/08/12/nordic-games-brings-back-the-thq-name-rebrands-as-thq-nordic/

Seeing what they did with the "remaster" of Darksiders 2 I'm not very optimistic but maybe they won't completely suck shit.

I hope they got some of the old talent back, as well
Maybe we'll see some not shit games in the future too

Supreme Commander 2 when?

archive.is/6pow2

Square Enix owns that.

I'd hope so too, but I think some of them probably found jobs elsewhere now.

I thought Nordic bought the Supreme Commander IP?

I hope so. We need more middle grounds between AAA and Indie nowadays.

Good, I hope MX vs ATV makes a comeback. Now if only they could get Pandemic back, that would be amazing. I've missed probing humans and blowing shit up!

But honestly Nordic should have gone the extra mile and just acquired the studios that made the IPs instead of just the IPs, getting Vigil for example.

gog.com/forum/general/who_owns_the_rights_to_supreme_commander
forum.nordicgames.at/threads/178164-Supreme-Commander?s=61da3ffdbb9e2e9be0ee2a86d58d6fec&p=2656752&viewfull=1#post2656752
Not the best of sources but I can't find anything that goes against that.

Did Pandemic make DAH?

I would say having the company dissolved is better than reducing yourself to churning out shitty games with no hope of returning to what made you good in the first place.

Sounds like a clusterfuck.

That's in name alone unless they plan to hire all their old employees like Kojima Productions is trying to do.

You didn't think a game with the ability to destroy everything in it could be made by anyone else?

Yeah… for example Vigil who made Red Faction Guerilla.

But at the end Pandemic was owned by EA right? When did that happen?

Whats interesting is around Homefront 2s development apparently Crytek went full jew and refused to pay employees. Also theres no way Ex Free Radical devs didnt hear the positive reaction to the Timesplitters 2 easter egg.

Oh wait not Vigil, that other THQ studio…begins with a V

Best news all year

Volition? The Saints Row and Red Faction guys?

isn't it just the two first levels of the story mode?

I really hope Darksiders 3 is good.

How come they had to call themselves THQ Nordic instead of just THQ again?
When they shut down is it impossible for any other company to call themselves THQ?

Does this mean we will get a new SMURF and Darksiders game?

If so, neat.

At first I was surprised suddenly so many people were happy about TQH returning back, but then this post:

Mid Tier publishers must comeback and put shit back in order.

The company that bought them was Nordic Games.

Hopefully they don't force the devs to rush it out the door with a ton of DLC, the way THQ did to Vigil to try to dig themselves out the hole. A hole no amount of Darksiders II and DLC sales was going to get them out of.

Hopefully some day there will be the co-op four horsemen game people have been wanting.

That's what is sad about it.

I'd be happy with that. I know Darksiders isn't amazing, but it was better than the majority of shite we get now.

To be fair is an awkward name. What is it with Euro publishers are these dumb names. CD PROJEKT RED ARE YOU LISTENING!?

at least it's memorable
you're not gonna forget something that's really weird and outlandish

I'll hold my breath, but I hope it turns out more like the first one.

That's a bit harsh isn't it?

You know what, fuck it. Anyone want me to dump the old Darksiders preorder prologue comic?

Mid tier publishers and devs, really. I mean, I suppose there's still some AA Japanese devs around (Vanillaware being a good example of making some pretty nice stuff on fairly low budget), but out here it seems like for a while it's just been Triple A and indie.

The thing with Darksiders has been that gameplay-wise, it's not too unique and borrowed a lot of mechanics. However, the borrowed elements generally meshed well together, with Vigil having had competency there and created a workable hybrid Legend of Zelda/God of War/Devil May Cry sort of game (DSII adding in some Prince of Persia). Combining that with the setting and lore, cheesy action movie dialogue (with really well done delivery), and art style, I found them really damn likable. Shame the second game felt so rushed though.

I liked both, but people are pretty divided on DSII, and of course THQ didn't help things there by banking their hope against bankruptcy on it, leaving the game to suffer for it.

I haven't played it years, so I can't comment on too many things, but what I do remember was that I overall didn't like it and dropped it after a few hours.
I do remember that I truly and honestly hated the forced levelling bull shit.

The first one reminded a lot of Prince of Persia, even though it allowed you to buy upgrades and weapons and actually had a semi-open world instead of endless corridors.
The great thing about it was that the upgrades were not mandatory in any way and all it took to beat the game was gitting gud. Not grinding.

Honestly, too many games nowadays have all of these shoehorned RPG mechanics.
I've had enough of that.

I can that if people didn't like it because it borrowed from other games. To me it was a little bit of zelda mixed with slightly better GoW combat. I like the setting and the characters could have done with some much higher res textures though

I respect that. It was different than the first one. Most people felt like you had to go do the sidequests before you could hit the bosses.

It has better combat than God of War? I mean if that's true I might have to give Darksiders a go…

"No one care who i was , until i put on the mask"

Does THQ still hold the rights to Freespace?

FREESPACE 3 WHEN

Not by much. Its no Devil May Cry

I just hope they dont give her the current manface treatment

Pretty sure that's still with Interplay

So now I have to cry to Interplay?

So they changed their name, who the fuck cares
This is still the same company that rereleased darksiders 2 3 years after it came out, and managed to make it objectively worse even though it came out on the same platforms

That would fall on deaf ears I'm afraid. Doesn't seem like they are interested in making games anymore.

Well IIIII say we give them a chance, because I want my mid ranged studios back and this new THQ could be vanguard of that resurgence.

It was ruushed in tthe end, that's the biggest flaw. I was indifferent to leveling and armors, but i missed the fact that death didn't have his own weapon. But war had it, so i guess death couldn't use it.

The potential for a new Red Faction is pretty exciting. Maybe they'll actually improve upon the original instead of taking away from it this time.

Couldn't agree more.

There's a historical reason for CD Projekt's name: back in the early 90s, they were the first company in Poland to import CD-ROM games.

I always took War's Scythe and handgun to be replicas of the weapons his brothers actually wielded. Though it's been a while since I played them.

Of course, I suppose some things like that could have been changed between the games. Such as what exactly the horsemen themselves were.

I do believe Strife's pistols are handed down to War and Death.

Good news for more Darksiders though. They should probably look at scaling things down for III though. II was too big for its own good.

Like others have said, I hope to see more mid-tier vidya come out.

Even if Pandemic came back, they'd probably make more crapware like LOTR Conquest. It'd be like wishing for Neversoft to come back despite them fucking up Project 8 and Proving Ground.

I JUST WANT ANOTHER RED FACTION LIKE GUERRILLA WITH MORE SHIT TO BLOW UP
Seriously, every normalfag under the sun clammors Just Cause as some patron saint of destruction, when it barely has any compared to Red Faction: "Taking down a building with a truck and blowing up an entire base while smacking EDF soldiers through walls with a motherfucking sledgehammer" Gorilla.

They blew their chance when they didn't use the Gorilla engine for Saints Row. Fuck em, let em stay dead for that transgression.

Don't do this man

Yup…

Wonder how much of an upgrade those destructible environments the current gen would provide, and if they were to suit it to the Neo and Scorpio's specs… mmmm

As an idiot who has beaten every Red Faction game:

good.

you mean Geomod engine?

it's literally impossible to use it on the scale saints row is at. it chugs just trying to deal with some of the larger single structures in guerrilla. I saw an interview with a volition dev who said so.

I hope they would create a game with better pacing this time around, instead of 4/5th of the game spent jumping around in grey temples with the rest of the content quickly rushed in as half though-out mini-instances.

Sounds like quitter talk to me. May they rest in piss

A real dawn of war game when

Since GW is giving away the 40k license to any indie pixelart shit dev that comes knocking on their door, they should try to make their own dow

at the time it was impossible. if it was possible to have red faction building destruction in SR, you bet your ass it would have been done in 3 and 4.

at present, it might be possible. but expecting any sort of graphical fidelity while an entire city block is undergoing the physics calculations associated with being destroyed?

yeah no. not possible in real time for most computers.

So don't build it for current fucking toasters. Throw caution to the wind like Crysis and just make the fucking thing.

My nigga, BETTER RED THAN DEAD.

I seriously want an actually GOOD Red Faction sequel, and not a Guerilla sequel.

take that back you son of a bitch

Make me

Or they could do what Crackdown 3 is doing and make it online with the destruction being run off of cloud servers.

Geomod has alwyas been CPU only until now, doing it on the GPU would open a lot of possibilities.

user, I don't think you understand the computational requirements of advanced building destruction.

what volition managed to pull off with guerrilla was borderline witchcraft. getting that shit to run on an xbox 360 is impressive.

but there are times at which the game lags badly because you're just asking the engine for too much. if you had the same number of buildings as a saints row game, the xbox 360 wouldn't be able to play it at all and you'd have to wait a decade for a PC to be able to.

stop acting like game engines are magic that operate on hopes and dreams.

I want to see the new game be semi-linear open world, kinda like arx fatalis.

make it try to be half life like the first game, take the destruction of the second two games, and implement bigger buildings than we've ever seen before.

oh and please no more bald buff guys named mason

DARKSIDERS 3 HYPE

You're not the boss of me

yes I am faggot

you're going to go play the sewers level in red faction 2 now and you're gonna like it

Wait, there was a sewer level? It all looked the same to me.

I like it when you talk butch

But on a serious note, you guys think they will go with the 4 player coop for Darksiders 3 assuming they get around to making it

Red Faction Guerilla 2 when?

I refuse to get excited about this until I actually see what comes out of them. If they can produce some neat games, I'll be happy. I don't really trust anybody nowadays, though, so they better put up or shut up.

Also, RIP THQ.

No fucking way.

Best news I've heard in a long, long time.

what's next, some the reformation of troika and announcement of bloodlines 2?

oh wait lol that will never happen end my life

fucking CCP

is it being developed by Volition or not? Because Volition can't make good games anymore.

No I think Deep Silver owns Volition

Multithreading for Dwarf Fortress.

Well that's good, it has a chance now.

Should've stayed dead.
Anyone who gets actually exited hasn't learned his lesson yet and should fuck off back to plebbit.

Nigga, we have access to quad core machines with 8 threads on an architecture that is far better documented and developed that POWER and have 16x the memory space with GPUs that blast it out of the water. We can make something work, man.

This is how you spot the cuckchanner.

if you want a project aimed at what's possible on the very best hardware, good luck selling it to fucking no one

Crysis didn't sell too bad. jus saiyan

thankfully you can play it with cheap hardware nowadays so everyone can enjoy throwing gooks around the forest

though at the time the market was still limited due to hardware requirements.

current gen consoles literally cannot handle geo mod technology.

Fully destroyable enviroment is not considered cool anymore so they will probably scrap the future that made red faction cool in the first place

more specifically, they can't handle the assumed progression in the technology that we anticipate.

if the new game has the same destruction as RF 4 they can handle it, but if you're not gonna improve the destruction why would you even release a new RF?

The Freespace IP was sold for like $7,500 if I remember correctly.

Holy fucking shit, that's less than the price of a new car! For a game like Freespace…

clinically retarded

Man, if i had bought that IP… i would have probably released the games under GNU GPL.

Those dubs are odd, John Oliver.

No u

Owning the IP =/= Owning the source code.

Unless that was up for grabs as well…

Nowhere in the article does it say they are working on Darksiders 3.

Why you gotta do that, just come in a thread and piss all over everyone

It might not be good, but it's being made.

That's as good as a yes.

"Look at Darksiders, as an example. It’s been a few years since the release of Darksiders II and that growing community remains very active — very hungry — for what will come next. THQ Nordic very much looks forward to satiating gamers’ appetites in the months and years to come.”

Oh yeah but I'm autistic so I can't interpret anything less overt than stone cold confirmation.

m8 Red Faction 1 cannot be made on current systems with current standards if it uses the same methods of terrain deformation.
Hell it wouldn't even work with PS3 tier graphics on the PS4.

Might be made in the next coming years and not be in production right now. I love Darksiders 1 and 2, but OP is a giant faggot who cant read.

Right so they purchased these IPs and decided to sit on them for 3 years. That's an absurd claim to make and it's the only conclusion to draw from your line of argument.

which is why the later games have building destruction and we're so sadly deprived of any better procedural terrain deformation.

They own a lot of stuff and are a small studio / publisher. So yeah, why not? The games werent that successful.

Unfortunately, this might very well be true - spreading themselves this thin means they've either got their hands on a large number of interns, or it's mostly touchscreen crap.

Let it be so

The fact that they have rebranded to THQ and are bringing attention to themselves by evolking THQ IPs and cockteasing them are evidence of coming announcements. I'll go a step further and say that them being a Euro studio, they are prepping for a Gamescom announcement of a THQ IP.

This year is the best current year.

This pleases me

I will believe that witchcraft when it's running on my fucking xbox, man.

SEGA owns the 40K IP now.

THE PROPHECY HAS BEEN FORETOLD

It would be a dream…

But it probably won't happen. I don't think the masses will be very receptive to midtier, games that rely more on solid mechanics and gameplay instead of trying to ape Hollywood blockbusters as much as possible.

What the hell?

Uh… Crytek owns Homefront, as I said in the OP.

And they made new Homefront, Homefront: The Revolution, it was shit.

Are you mentally impaired my man?

fuck off faggot

Actually good games releasing is better than bad games failing.

Implying THQ won't buy Homefront I.P back.

I just hope these games don't get SWEDEN YES'd.

Why would they? It's not worth it. They already have the good THQ franchises. Homefront a is damaged brand.

Who owns this?

Gear…box?

Guys, Darksiders 3 isn't happening for a while. The team has to finish this game first

store.steampowered.com/app/451020/

WHAT IF

THQNordic buys out Gearbox and makes a new Duke Nukem and Homeworld

What if we don't know if new THQ is worth a shit at all ?

Neat.

There's nothing wrong with the homeworlds they've been making lately. the remake was fine and it seemed to me it was a proof of concept that they could make one, the RTS one is fine even though it's not really homeworld.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were working on an homeworld sequel right now tbh

This. Eighteen quintillion planets they made and a vast universe, No Man's Sky is a true revolution in both gameplay and storytelling.

Knowing Gearbox they'll probably fuck it up somehow

Nobody I think. It's a piece of shit regardless.

Between Devolver Digital and Focus Home I couldn't agree more. Here's hoping for a new Destroy All Humans game and a good one.

Also to anyone interested Vigil is actually now called Gunfire Games. Unfortunately the only things they've done so far after the rebrand is the Deathinitive Edition for DS2(which was iffy at best) and two VR titles(however one of the two games(Chronos) seems to be getting really good reviews for a VR game. I still don't see the point of a VR only third person game.).

Oh so it would the original devs doing a Darksiders 3 then?

Wait, didn't Nordic also pick up the rights for Neighbors from Hell?

If I recall correctly Joemad and other key members were on board for a Darksiders 3. The one thing I hope for is that for a Darksiders 3 to not be as horribly rushed as 2 was. In spite of all its flaws I still really liked 2.

thqNordic has the rights to destroy all humans, if wikipedia is to be believed

DESTROY ALL HUMANS WHEN

Fucking this.

My nigger.
Didn't they release Encore not too long ago? I heard it was pretty bad though. Check out MXGP2 though, if you want a neat motocross game.

Why do people even like indies? I remember when Super Meat Boy and Braid came out, those were two incredibly great games that were a blast. Then Hotline Miami was amazing. Then… what other indies are even worth playing? I don't even know.

There's also an equally cringy titled Darksiders 1 remaster?

Also I'm getting kind of worried because the games Nordic Published are usually mediocre to bad with a few exceptions. Painkiller Recurring Evil was shite from what I remember.

Depends, what kind of games do you like to play? I might recommend a few indies you might actually really like.

As an another fuck that has played through all of 'em too, I must say fuck RF2, jesus fuck. I'm still bothered by it.

I liked RFG and A a lot, but still want a, actually storywise somewhat good, sequel to RF1 I know none of them had a good story, but still.

I'm pleasently surprised that they made such a choice. Being a Finn, I'm gratefull of those fags doing something

The glorious 6th gen AA era is coming back

Shit, i used to play this shit all the time

deadfall adventures and arcania gothic were nice aa titles

Yeah I know, Rochard and Spellforce Demons of the Past were really good too. and Ori.

Not yet, I still haven't been assimilated by extremely erotic hermaphrodite alien species. But soon.

I don't understand this industry any more.

It's easy to remaster a newer game and since casuals remember it (casuals don't remember games more than a few years old) it gets a remaster.

its just for ps4/xbox one really

Does this mean we get more licensed games?

OH FUCK THAT GAME. it was a decent story sim game, and in the end the mystery was that you were dying and really it was your brain running out of oxygen cause you were trapped in a fire so nothing actually happened at least i think thats what it was trying to say. i'm retarded so i am likely wrong

There is nothing heretical about this xeno

FRONTLINES FUEL OF WAR 2 WHEN?

I want some AA battlefield action which focuses more on infantry rather than getting fugged by tanks for fourty minutes.

Am i gay?

I always like a good comeback story but I'm not sure about this one. darksiders was good and they have a decent backlog of other franchises but they need to make some licensing deals. They won't make as much money with there own franchises. Maybe get back in touch with Nick so we can get some good nicktoons games or something. Maybe take a gamble and shell out money to 2K Games so you can get WWE back. Then again I have a feeling 2K is dead sent on competing with EA when it comes to sports games so that may be harder.

underrated post

THQ's Niggerball games were a lot better than 2k's games.

Mainly because you could make full teams of characters with 99 points in ever stat and then dunk from half court.

Only if you desire to be fucked by the male conterpart.
this xeno look like a one of those OC sergal, the fuck

I'm a dumbass, THQ didn't make the niggerball games. I mixed it up because the niggerball games also got renamed from 20XX to 2kXX

And this is cause for celebration why exactly?

Neither Darksiders nor Red Faction were classics.

Yeah the only other sport THQ did was UFC.
Niggerball has been with 2K games since 2005 when they bought the rights from Sega

Because AA games, that's why. Never played Darksiders, but Red Faction was neat.

Depends. Most folks only buy a few games every year. Normalfags just want the big titles that their friends play.

Mercenaries 1 was a LucasArts IP. Mercs 2 was EA's. Pandemic died with EA and I doubt EA is willing to sell the Mercenaries IP back to Nordic.

I don't think it was THQ to begin with.

If darts can be a sport

at least is better than e-sports

What makes what the UFC not a sport compared to the several other "sports " like e-sports and beer pong

Did THQ own the rights to Quest 64? Would like to see an improvement on that game's formula. What about Dark Summit? I love me some snowboarding games, so it'd be nice to see what else they can do

Nice ID, but a shit post.
GamesWorkshop, nigger.

nah they just published it it's owned by it's developer Imagineer who just make Japanese phones now

What the fuck is this and why the hell is it turning me on so damn much?

2016 has been a year filled with excitement and hope.

UFC is a brand, MMA is the sport.

This thread inspired me to start Darksiders 2 over again and try to finish it this time, I'd completely forgotten this game had mailboxes in it. Aside from being how they give you DLC shit I don't know what the point of them was at all.

The original developer/Jap publisher, some company called Imagineer.

That's a pretty nice IP list. Did they inherit any of the actual data from THQ & their defunct developers' projects, like Vigils'?

Is there any chance they have the data for the Dark Millenium MMO and/or TPS-RPG projects, even if they'd have to get the Warhammer license anew to do anything with it?

threadly reminder that Nordic Games is the same publisher behind this wonderful gem

Fuck, now i'm hyped.

HOPING FOR MORE GAMES WITH RED FACTION GUERILLA PHYSICS ENGINE!

no red faction armageddon because that was shit.

just a really decent terminator game that takes place in terminator 1 and 2 only.

I need a red faction guerilla game for the Wii U with cheat mode that lets me still have savegames.

I NEED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAUCE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!

Relic will never be free from (((SEGA)))'s grasp.

METRO OF THE DRUIDS 2033

YES, ANONS, EMBRACE THE Fu-

er, I mean…

EMBRACE THE XENO!!!

SOON YOU WILL BE ONE OF US!

AND WE WILL FUCK ETERNALLY INSIDE AN ORGANIC SPACESHIP DILDO!

I want to watch it fuck a girl full of eggs.

Why not be the one getting filed with eggs?

implying whatever it fucks doesn't turn into another one of it's species

This.

If I could get off to that, don't you think I would?

Let's remain wishful here.

All i want from this is a new wrasslin game made with updated AKI engine. Fuck wcw nwo revenge was so good why hasnt someone made a new wrestling game even half as good since

It flows as well as Nintendo of America

Except it was dull as hell

How does Square Enix own the IP to Supreme Commander? Why would GPG agree to that as part of the publishing deal? It does not seem at all necessary for GPG to enter an agreement like that when Supcom and FA sold so well. It should have been a walk in the park to get a publishing deal with anyone, at any terms they want.

just when I though I was finally released from my curse of getting 2 completely different companies, from 2 completely different industries neither of which I care about, confused was over, these fags at nordic games took the name of the company they bought like a retarded cuck, as opposed to absorbing the company, their name, their IPs and their assets like an alpha male, which would have actually earned me their respect, but they didnt chose the path to earning their own respect, credibility and fame they took the easy option by usinan established brand because of this decision, I will never buy one of their games for the rest of my life for this minor inconvenience.

sage for blog post