What rare/expensive game you eyeballing recently Holla Forums?

pics related

Those two together are worth half a months pay check. Why did they have to be good as well? If they were shit, no one would care….and I probably wouldn't either.

Other urls found in this thread:

shopgoodwill.com/listings/listByCat.asp?catID=450&ending=Items
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Imports are always expensive… I'm probably going to import Persona 5 when it hits next month.

I want to ger Mutant League Football for my genesis, but I've had to hold off because copies cost about as much as a used modern game, and I'm not employed enough to justify spending cash on videogames.

I once knew a girl that gave up on rule of rose because she said that "any other woman would've just punched those shit kids in the mouth", when i explained to her that during the events of the game she's reverting back to her younger self and/or is mostly fighting figments of her own past/imagination that are deeply affecting her psychologically, she said "who the hell would play this game long enough to find out about that shit?"

I thought Rule of Rose wasn't very good? I asked about it awhile back, and that seemed to be the consensus.

As for me, I've been looking at Path of Radiance and Yakuza 2. I might hold off on Y2 since there's rumours of it being ported/remastered on PS4.

Hard to say user. I could honestly say I had shit taste when Rule of Rose came out. Could be a pretty good game.

I remember seeing Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii at some store in my area that was willing to sell it for $50-$60 CAD. I haven't gone back there in a while, but I want to know if $50-$60 CAD for Xenoblade is a good price.

Both of these games are very good if you like survival horror. Rule of Rose is nigh unplayable however. It's one of the few games I'd recommend watching a playthrough of, and pick it up afterwards if you'd like to hold onto it just for collecting sake. If you want to try playing it, more power to you, maybe play Haunting Ground first to get a feel for what you'll be doing, then just remember it's going to be even worse in Rule of Rose.

Rule of Rose is an excellent exploration of the world of small girls, from everything between pure and innocent love and how gnarled those thorns can become. I think it's one of the few games that perfectly capture how the life of younger girls, all of the fluff and secrets and backstabbing and crushes.

It's also a horrible game to play, and not even in a Silent Hill awkward way, it's just bad. Sorry for the autism, I'm just not sure if I'd call the entire game bad because the story, pacing, ect is just great.

The gameplay is pretty terrible but everything else about it is excellent.
So it's up to you i suppose, depends how much you value gameplay in an old fashioned survival horror.

Thanks for the input. Siren, RE1-3, and Silent Hill 1-4 are some of my favorite games ever. So I would consider myself a fan of these sort of games will less than stellar combat, but fantastic atmosphere, characters, and the rest that goes with survival horror. But if the gameplay is atrocious enough to cause repeated deaths or disturbs the flow of the overall game, I might have an issue with it. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Okay, just to compare.
I played this game and the map layout per day infuriated me over the way your character moved or the combat. Those didn't bug me as much as the map layout….
A guilty pleasure honestly. Not scary but finaly getting used to the boss fights was fun.

If you've actually fully finished Siren, the original one, there's literally nothing in this game that will stop you or slow you down from finishing it.

Siren fans that actually played it all the way trough are at the top of the food chain, games like RoR should be a walk in the park in terms of frustration compared to that.

Both those games have better gameplay than RoR, and also faster pacing, in comparison.

I dunno user. I played Data Squad.

Nothing at the moment, but I do have an idea of stuff to keep an eye out for when I find it cheaply (Haunting Ground and .hack Quarantine being among them). And to be honest, I've done pretty well in finding otherwise pricy games cheaply due to pricing screw ups at stores. Just takes some patience, perseverance in searching, and a bit of luck. Still, I do have to wonder, even if I've managed to find .hack//G.U. Volumes 2 and 3 for about $10 each, is Quarantine too well known as an item to scalp for places to still have a chance of stocking cheaply (and I don't just mean vidya focused stores, but multimedia stores and other places that don't always know what they're taking in).

Not sure how that compares with USD, but in my experiences it was very much worth the $50 I paid around release for it. Not sure if I could say the same if I had bought it after used copies started seeing prices of $100-120 a few months later (fucking NoA not bothering to print off enough at that point because "the potential customerbase isn't big enough to be worth it" logic).

I will say though that you'd likely have a better time with it if you enjoy JRPGs and don't mind pseudo MMO combat (real time, action bar, cool downs, positioning).

seen quarantine at a local game store for 50$. I find that cheap.

I don't buy fucking games nerd, what about this don't you understand.

You're right, that is cheap compared to what it averages (think it's been about $130-150 here), especially if it's complete and in good condition. I'm just wondering if there's any chance I might be able to still find it for $20-30 with a bit of luck.

At least that one's the only really expensive game in that subseries, and while G.U. is less expensive overall, each individual entry is usually a good $50-60 each. Could probably find Infection, Mutation, and Outbreak for under $50 total with some luck, but I'm not doing any looking unless I find Quarantine first.

Fucking Namco. I'd think that a pair of reasonably priced HD collections for the PS3, or even PSN rereleases, would have done a lot to make the games more available and fuck scalpers over, but no, they seem content to ignore it entirely these days. Hell, they wouldn't even bring Asbel's Haseo outfit west with Tales of Graces f.

Ah..
All except Infection were there for $50. I didn't think much of it at the time since Infection is the only one in my connection that the game disc is scratched to hell and was hoping I could find it there.

Yeah, average price of the IMOQ subseries here is about $200 minimum ($10+$30+$30+$130), up to about $250, depending on where you are (G.U. on the other hand is only $150-180). Honestly been meaning to give .hack a go sometime (especially since I have all the G.U. games; thinking I should watch Roots first though, since to my knowledge it counts as a prologue), but between the prices on physical copies and still needing to set up my PS2 to play digital games off a hard drive (I don't trust my toaster to play vidya, especially from sixth gen), I haven't gotten to them just yet.

Just got this for 60 on a whim not sure what to expect

As far as I know, it's a trio of tactical RPGs. Not sure how good the western release was handled, but Working Designs doesn't have that good a reputation among anons these days, given how many liberties they (and their current incarnation, Gaijinworks) take.

Last I checked the Canadian dollar was worth about $0.75 USD.

So, about $37-45 in USD then? That doesn't seem bad to me.

Dragon Slayer on the the Turbo CD… Along with an actual Turbo CD with an american super system card

Hard to really take them seriously though. Every time i see them talk about WD for more than a sentence it's like watching pic related talk about Donald trump.

I've never liked WD, I don't know why weebs liked them so much outside of publishing games nobody else gave a shit about trying to sell in America.

Ireland has said recently that the audience Gaijinworks wants for the games they handle are not people that want accuracy in the English scripts, but enjoy (and expect) liberties to be taken by them, pop culture references, etc (which I assume also applies to their prior works as WD). Some anons here have started to view what they've done as being along the lines of him (and/or his team) thinking they can write a better script than the original Japanese authors can.

The problem is that, unless a game sees a rerelease/remake with a different translation team (or the same company, but having gotten better over the years, the way Square started redoing the translations for some of their older games when they ported them to the GBA and DS rather than outright reuse the old scripts), English speaking fans are outright stuck (barring a fan made retranslation if a game is bad enough off; though given how divided people are about WDs older stuff, I haven't heard of any happening for stuff like Lunar) with western scripts that are at times more rewrite than translation. I think a fair amount of people here justifiably would prefer a company to let the script stand on its own in translation without a bunch of liberties being taken to "spice it up" or whatever Ireland's reasoning has been.

I want to get a Dreamcast and then get the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game that was on it

Man, haunting ground was amazing. The only game that managed to actually scare me due to how fragile and helpless you were, as well as how your pursuers learned about your hiding spots.

It's pretty fun. I got it myself. It can be pretty fun, and its cool going through the games in order. I can't remember much anymore, other than you switch protags during the last two games iirc. Being able to be a bounty hunter is awesome though guild jobs you can do during the 2nd or 3rd game onwards.

Keep in mind, the first game is very linear then it expands in the second and becomes more complex.

Huh, I'm surprised Rule of Rose got so rare. I was always a big survival horror buff so I picked up a copy of the game for five bucks. It has a bunch of light scratches and the instruction manual is missing it's front cover, but it looks like copies of the game are selling for quite a lot without even having the case. I'm almost tempted to sell it, but weirdly enough it has some sentimental value. Still, it's neat to see it appreciate so much in value. Even if the gameplay was meh then atmosphere and story were pretty decent.

I wonder where the renewed interest came from?

Really?
Go play Siren then if you've never played it, you're in for one hell of a ride.

ive been looking for the yakuza games but their expensive af. I got 4 and 5 because they were free on ps plus but i want to play them in order instead of starting in the middle

some people just don't have taste.

in the game you're playing as a broken person and a gentle soul. An abuse victim. Even without context you can see this. Jennifer from Rule of Rose is genuinely how many abuse victims act. If this isn't apparent when you start out, a little play through it makes it very clear, based on Jennifer's actions and reactions to her enviroment. That girl is a damned casual.

Gameplay sucks, but fucking EVERYTHING ELSE is goddamned beautiful. They hired a quartet of violinists to do most of the music, one of the developer has a wife who sings beautifully in it, and the story itself is a literary dream.

At the very least you should watch a playthrough.

good taste, man.

I think it's more that due to controversy, in some areas copies got rather limited because stores didn't want to stock for it anymore, or something. I could be wrong though. I didn't have a PS2 when it was current.

The Dark Spire (NDS dungeon crawler).

It never got released in Europe so I could only import it from ebay for 80€+.
That's not worth it though when it runs almost flawlessly in DraStic

I'd never heard of this game before but I stumbled on this track a couple of days ago.

I'd never imagined the game was so rare and pricy if you'd never told me.

Embed related

I got this rather super rare copy of Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101!

Waifumon Luna/Sol would be very expensive, considering I do not own the relevant system to play it on.

There's a copy of Sunset Riders for $60 at the game shop I work at. I'm going to let it sit on display for a week. If it's still there after that I'm snagging it.

Op, rare games like what you listed are really best pirated. They're not worth the money you'd drop, as someone who has played both let me tell you that first hand. My suggestion is get a Fat PS2 and a Hard Drive as well as the rest of the tools required to softmod it so you can play games from said HDD.

The only rare PS2 game that might be worth it is Yakuza 2, that said I've owned that game from launch and when I finally decided to play it I did so from my HDD for the better load times.

Are these anything like Shadow of Memories?

I just get that vibe.

Is Drastic better than DeSmuMe? I can't get my SLI to work with it and it takes a shitload of resources even with something basic as Phoenix Wrights.

If you're going to be speaking in English, use the English names.

I don't want it because it's hard to find or pricey. I want it because the overall experience,( story, atmosphere and gameplay,) from those games are almost non-existent these days. Everyone is too much of a pussy to push actual boundaries because of controversy.

Op again.
For example. A game that fits the category I want to play is one that I bought which was Odin Sphere on ps2 and the other that is coming in is LifeLine on ps2. These other games are just as unique as RoR and HG but luckily cheap too.

Sure, and I didn't mention Yakuza 2 because it's rare or pricey, I mentioned it because it's one of the best games on the system. What I'm saying is doubly true if you just want it for the experience, piracy will give you the experience without the price or rarity. Leave rare games to the scalper fags until they finally find another collecting bubble and prices start dropping. Right now retro games are Beanie Babys levels of popular with collector fags, and right now those same faggots think the PS2/Gamecube are the hot new things to buy up.

If you want to fight with some autist for a copy then good luck to you, but I suggest you avoid all that nonsense and just get a HDD soft-modded fat PS2 so you can enjoy the games.

If you're talking about story, gameplay, and atmosphere, you don't really need to buy it to get that part of the experience, you just need to play the game. What you said has nothing to do with what that guy said about how you might as well load them from a hard drive and save yourself some cash. It's not like your money goes to the developers anyway.

So wait for the price to drop? I can do that.

I'm more of keeping something physical in my hand.

I collect VHS tapes instead. I'm sure SOME of them are rare. Too bad there's no VHS board, but they did release some videogames on VHS right? I know some PC systems used cassette tapes.

I don't think so, the only video games I know of on tape are on what are usually used to store audio.

You mean these, user?

Diana makes my dick hard.

At least you have good taste in fightans.

I actually decide the next game to pirate and play on how expensive they are. I get a boner playing some expensive bullshit that some autist would fork out all of his burger bucks for free. Seriously, I don't even like most of them, because they're usually some weeb shit jrpg, or just didn't sell because it wasn't good. Case in point: Futurama. I love the show, but I'm not paying $30+ for a copy of the game, especially when it is the epitome of mediocrity.

clip your toenail

but both those games suck

That's totally not what I meant by video game, I should have said computer game, but okay.

How can we be sure you didn't just print out the game covers and stick them in a case?

So i'm usually a collector when it comes to videogames i like, meaning i usually buy them, but given old consoles are obsolete in most ways you are better off emulating or using a modded ps2.

this.

not as expensive as haunting ground or rule of rose, but hard to fucking find.

That's a finger. Also no :3c

This good?

Yeah. Technically everything you've shown, including the case, could be a replica, though that would take a lot of effort. If you show a video of you flipping those discs over to show the inner "PlayStation ring" that they put on the bottom, that would be really hard to fake (from what I know).

Rare VHS tapes probably aren't worth anything unfortunately. No one out there makes tape players anymore while DVD players are basically part of every game console that's come out since the turn of the millennium besides the Gamecube. You need a tape player with all kinds of moving, aging parts to play a VHS and a VHS over time will look worse with those lines/tracking fucking up the video frames.

And any VHS that's actually rare enough to give a damn about can probably be torrented these days like with some cases where anime was on VHS in the states. The only VHS's that would probably hold value to other people are tape recordings of things that never hit the home video market and the rights owners never properly archived (like maybe an old cartoon show or something).

VHS just isn't something good for collecting unless you just want to go to a garage sale or thrift store to find super cheap movies for the family to watch and happen to have a working VHS player plus CRT TV. I've watched VHS movies on an HDTV before, and while it's not 2006 Youtube bad in terms of video quality it's not exactly pleasing to the eye when DVD would look much better, and the audio quality is pretty bad in comparison to DVD.

I don't do cam shows user. If you don't believe they are real, that's fine.

Fuck you for having those damn pristine copies and stoking my envy. Kys and name me in the will.

Can anyone refresh my memory as to the controversy around Rule of Rose? I'm guessing she got extra attention as a kid and that's what traumatized her.

Gay Man!
Ah ahhhhhh!

Sorry. I'm leaving all my things to my brother to sell off as he sees fit. Just wanted him to keep a couple of games for himself to remember me.

The controversy was there were hints in the story of underage sex. And underage lesbianism. And violence involving children. It got canceled in Europe because of this.

Figures. Thanks user, and congrats on those lovely looking copies. I mean legit retail copies, not sure what that other guy meant or what you would have to gain from showing replicas here to ruse us.

Eh. I'm pretty sure you can get the PAL version of Haunting Ground for about 20 bucks.

I bought Yakuza for PS2, only have a Thinkpad so emulating anything past PS1 isn't an option.

I did do it to brag a bit. But just go around your local flea markets. Sometimes people don't know what they have. I got mine from the Gamestop I use to work at.

Yeah. Like there's someone out there to made a replica copy of both games just waiting for a thread where a person was talking about both games at the same time. I must have been waiting a long time for that if that's the case.

My main issue is it's a volatile format. Magnetic tape just gets worse & worse wih time, regardless if you're playing your tapes or not. Then there's VCRs that actually ddamage the tapes which makes things worse. I know there were later VCRs that fixed that, but it's shame that just enjoying the medium fucks it up.

at least with vidya, your Atari Carts will last the rest of your life as long as they're not damaged.

Gamecube? Sure, I'll agree that that system's library has gotten ridiculous with the mark ups on even common games. Reminds me of what happened with the SNES. But with the PS2, the vast bulk of the library there is still anywhere from reasonable to downright cheap. Only a handful of really expensive games on the system.

Not much point getting Odin Sphere for the PS2 now, considering that Leifthrasir includes both an enhanced port of the original PS2 game with extra content, as well as a version that's essentially gameplay remake, all in the same package. The US PS2 original also suffers from notable slowdown.

Could of told you that, goes to a near crawl sometimes. But Leifthrasir requires a ps3 or 4. And since my ps3 is essentially a brick now, no point in getting the newer one.
Honestly user, I was in a bit of a rut playing modern vidya and getting no joy from it. Walked into a small local game shop and, I fucking kid not, 6 or so games I remember playing as a kid were there for sale, roughly 10-15$ each. Looked up how cheap a psone and ps2 were and thought, "Why the fuck not?" Got a cheap memory card, bought the games and never felt any regret. My jewel in my current small psone library is of course Monster Rancher 2 I saw at the game shop for 25$ intact. Spent almost 2 months on that game alone just maxing out my monsters as far as they can go. No regrets user, no regrets.
Nor do I favor the psone or ps2 games with nostalgia. Have 2 games that got me angry Fatal Frame 3 and Data Squad, but having sweating palms again from an intense gaming session was something I did not think I could feel again. That and looking at the manuals while taking a shit just feels right.
Each time I go to the small game store there are games in there that I forgot and know I gotta play them again. After a family move in 2 years I plan to by more consoles from Dreamcast to the original Xbox. I could care less about online anymore. There is no bromance there.

Leithrasir's also on the Vita, provided you have one.

And yeah, I mostly play older stuff these days myself, aside from a handful of series that are still current that I keep tabs on. Feels nice still being able to strike the occasional good find for the PS1, PS2, or even the Gamecube (on much less frequent occasions; even common shit can be a good $30 or so if it's from a recognizable Nintendo franchise, and some multiplats are twice as pricy on average comparing the Gamecube versions to the PS2/Xbox ones) when a store doesn't really know what they're getting in. Unfortunately I can't go much earlier than the PS1 and still find low prices on stuff. Part of why I've never gotten around to trying to pick up actual copies of NES, SNES, etc stuff (well, that and the fact that there's a swath of fan translated games for older cart based systems that don't even have official English versions anyhow).

I wouldn't mind online for a few games (I'd love to actually have someone to play stuff like Crash Team Racing with), but I'll always prefer couch co-op/competition. Too bad no one I personally know wants to come over for stuff anymore, and the "saturday night multiplayer" tradition some friends and I had fell apart years ago for various reasons.

Personally was too much.of an edgelord when psone and ps2 were out. So I know I missed out on a good portion of games. Not every game I bought was great, but I feel less jewed about having a hard copy of an old game. Scalpers and all that, but you can't really blame the game itself for faggots over pricing games. Just recently got Capcom vs SNK 2. Enjoying the hell out of that game.

Still, it feels good to find something where the normal "average" to expect to pay is horrendously overpriced for a low price, especially if it's a game you've had some interest in playing. Not only do you save money, but you fuck a potential scalper out of not only something to put up for profit AND he loses you as a potential buyer (why drop full price on a game you already found cheaply?).

Just download them you dummy

I have Haunting Ground but I want Rule of Rose as well. That said, quality doesn't seem to dictate its price so much as it being banned in Europe and only like 50k units made in the US. Scarcity seems to be the key factor with Rule of Rose, though I also hear it nails everything but gameplay.

Not saying to buy them expensive fellow user. Just saying that an old game being horrendously over priced isn't always the fault of the game itself. A little off topic. It's why I put rare or expensive.
I got Trap Gunner for the hell of it at the local place. No booklet and it was a $10 game. Looked around afterwards and just noticed it was not very rare but definitely uncommon. I can't buy the booklet alone unfortunately.

If you keep checking back on Amazon or ebay you might be able to find a standalone manual for sale at a reasonable price.

Back when I found my copy of Fire Emblem: PoR, it didn't have a manual for it. I have a general policy to only pick up complete copies of games in worthy condition, but I really didn't want to pass that one up for $10. Anyhow, I checked online and found someone selling a manual for it for $5, so that made me pretty happy. Now I have a complete copy that I only spent about $15 or so on.

1-is meh, but necessary.
2-love it. fix every problem with 1 and add so much more
3-it's good, nothing amazing but it does show the effects of 2 story.

Fuck it, I'll go without it. I can just print out the artwork.

I suppose that's certainly a possibility if you're really just wanting a cover page/insert. Still, you might check some local store that stock older games if you've got any around you. Some here keep bins of gameless manuals they've wound up with over the years. You might be able to find a cheap one like that, though considering how Atlus games back in the pre-PS2 era (where they started doing reprints) didn't see all that big of print runs, it might be a bit of a crapshoot.

I use HD Loader for everything PS2 now so it doesn't matter, but it would have been nice to have a copy of that.

There's still a video game rental store around where you live?

Have you tried offering them what the game went for when new (so, $50-60 I assume? Not sure what PS2 games went for new as I didn't have the system at that time)? They might be willing to part with it if ultimately making back what they spent on it in the first place, especially if you're the only one that's been renting it anyhow.

OP here
Did not know it would be pricey or rare. Only 2 complete US copies are 50$ and in "okay" condition.

If you've got a decent used media place, they might have a disc cleaning/buffing machine. One of the game stores I know of around where I live has a professional grade one that cost them a few grand, and it's able to get pretty much anything that isn't outright gouged (or has those circular rings I hear some xbox line games get) working again. Only costs a few dollars to get done and they'll let you test the disc on one of the store systems to make sure it actually works if you want.

HG is objectively so much better, but RoR is unique and sweet in its own right.
I recently found an amateur vid with a girl looking a lot like daniela, nearly fapped my balls off.

I saw a mint condition Rule of Rose in a random vidya shop several years ago, for an equivalent of $4. I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

I know what you mean. Some years back (probably seven or so now) when Gamestop was getting rid of their Gamecube and PS2 games, I'm pretty sure I saw some reasonably priced copies of .hack Quarantine and Gotcha Force, but I had really limited access to vidya at that point and didn't know either of them were all that hard to find (I had only just gotten a PS2 and didn't much like the prospect of needing to buy four games to play the entire thing in .hack's case), and knew absolutely nothing about Gotcha Force. Hindsight's a bitch.

At least I did manage to get a complete copy of Eternal Darkness in good condition for $15 during that sale. Hasn't shot up all that much since then, but I'm happy I paid $15 instead of the $40 people seem to be asking for it these days where I live.

So did I! (Don't recall the price but it had a manual and it worked good)

I do wonder though how I even own games like that where they would eventually rise in prices because while access to vidya wasn't limited at the time, I wasn't big on the whole 'Buy what you can because prices will skyrocket' deal

These days though, only games I look for are limited edition stuff (Mostly nip things) while the rest I pirate

And to contribute the thread, I guess this? (It got players choice though and its nowhere near as hefty as FE: PoR nor Melee but whateves)

Part of it was that back then I had really limited funds for vidya and my parents had never been big on it when I was growing up ("waste of your time and our money" sort of mindset). Now that I've had better access to money to pick stuff up various games/system I'd like to get into are fairly pricey and just because I have better access to money I don't feel like dropping full price real often, and for certain systems I prefer to just emulate these days (or use my CFW PSP for PS1 games). For the Gamecube, PS2, and DS I can still find some otherwise expensive games at low prices with a bit of luck, complete and in good condition as well. I may not have had the benefit of picking stuff up real often before prices exploded (there's a few cases though, like Chibi Robo, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Solatarobo where I did manage that though; all of them have gone up a lot from what I bought them for) and I'd have definitely preferred that to have been the case for more games, but it still feels really good finding something pricy I'd given consideration to playing somewhere down the line at prices much lower than average.

It's a bit odd. I used to see plenty of copies around for maybe $12 complete even just a year or two back, but now it doesn't show up all that much, and I think last time I saw it the store with it wanted $40 for it.

Hate how rare the SEGA CD's gotten, i mean, it's more expensive than a fucking Turbo Grafx despite selling more than it.

F-Zero GX
I knew a place that was selling the game for $40 a week ago, I go back the other day and now the price is $50.

Ouch.
Some places its fun buying a hame for cheap just to learn the games rare.

I may ask when I go back again. It's weird because I played Spy Fiction again and decided to just skip the scene. Game doing fine now.

I remember when blockbuster was going out of business and GX was like 10$. I'm off and on with racers though so didn't want to get it.

That happened to me with Chibi Robo.
To be fair though, I'm not sure if it's even rare, or simply that Zip Line for the 3DS spiked interest in it. Whatever the case though, it seemingly hasn't affects Park Patrol's prices.

It's funny, because a complete copy on e-bay isn't even half that.

I have to wonder what prompts some stores to ask as much as they do. I mean, I know one that in the past stocked Metroid Prime 2 for about $30, which was a good 2-3 times what other stores were wanting (and I mean preowned copies in both cases). Went to that same place recently and they now want $50 for a preowned copy of it. But that store's really odd about prices in general. Sometimes they ask WAY too much, and in other cases way less than they probably should (and in a number of cases I am happy to take advantage of those).

And then you have these imbeciles online asking ridiculous prices for a preowned copy of a game that goes for about $20-25 at best, and I am left wondering what the fuck they're even thinking in doing so. Once saw Yakuza 1 listed for $1000 on ebay; who the fuck is going to pay that.

I got my copy for $10 before SJW Grumps popularized it. Fucking Jewtube and normalfags.

Then it got very, very dirty because the last place I lived in was a shithole. This game is an absolute gem though, so I'm not too salty about having to dole out more shekels for another copy.

I've only seen that around once, and the store with it was asking $30 or so for it. Didn't know much of anything about it at the time, and it's since been bought.

Is Timesplitters 2 on Gamecube for $20 a good deal?

Now that's a game you should buy for xbox. Even if that was a good deal(it's not.) it's still a 100%+ markup over a xbox copy.

Just recently got pic-related.

It was 100 bucks at my local retro vidya store but I had a coupon and some leftover birthday money, cutting the price down to $60. Worth it as it's a fun game that doesn't emulate well, doesn't play nice with everdrive, and it's a better deal than getting and Xbone.

Some other rare/expensive/sought-after games in my collection:

forgot pic

The Gamecube controller is wonky and uncomfortable when it comes to multi-plat shooters (only three shoulder buttons pose a problem).

The controller was really meant for games specifically tailored to it so I would stick with PS2 (best controller) and Xbox (best performance) versions.

That's not that bad a price for the Gamecube version (I think I got mine for $15 a few years back). Now, if it was a Gamecube copy of FP for $20, that would be a really good price.

I've noticed that with some third party multiplat games (Timesplitters FP, Beyond Good and Evil, etc) that the Gamecube versions are indeed usually twice as much as on the PS2 or Xbox. Not sure if they're that much less available, or if it's just what you'd call a "Gamecube Tax" where worthwhile stuff seems to get price hikes just because it was on the Gamecube.

Always nice to see more love for that series. Shame it's dead now.

Really cool series. 1 is the best, 2 is also fantastic, 3 was kinda weird but is definitely really good too.

Yes, I know. I've been playing them recently starting from Koudelka and have loved all of them. Bit of a shame it never got real popular, but perhaps that's been a saving grace for the series (that, and the games all coming over long prior to [CURRENT YEAR]), since the games could get away with being weird as fuck without the translation teams feeling like censoring to try to appeal to a wider audience. I mean, maybe it's just me, but I really couldn't see them being feasible to come over intact these days, given the current localization climate.

I got Melee for $20 at an EB Games back in 2011. How did I do?

Not sure what it was going for then, but where I live now it (and SSB 64) are a good $60 or so. Really common game, but there's an assload of demand for it.

$20 isn't bad at all. I'd happily pick it up for that price if I could find a copy that low. And knew anyone that wanted to come over and play it.

The worst part about wanting to get Steel Battalion is that I don't know if I'll be into it, and I won't know until I try it (because apparently nothing else is like it).
Has anyone here tried SB? Is is good? Is it crap? Is it worth $250-$300? How much play time did you get out of it? I don't want to buy a hyper-realistic shitty console shooter that reviewers liked because of its controller, but I don't want to pass up on the game if it's amazing.

You could always try asking in the next Xbox thread if you don't get a response here; I know there's one user that makes them with relative frequency.

You could easily find gameplay footage of that game.

Yeah, because people are retarded.

Nintendo tax.

Go for it. 20 dollars is about my limited for 6th gen stuff, so that's not too bad. Like said, though, the GC sucks for shooters.

That's expensive? I've seen that game go for less than 10 bucks.

It's a combination of things; for one thing, PS2 was getting reprints long after the gamecube died out, meanwhile, with xbox there's just not any demand for about 90-95% of games, despite being the superior versions, meaning prices are often lower than even the PS2 in some cases.

It used to be about $30, at least where I live. I think it's down to about $20 now since the PS3 HD version got patched. Either way, it's nowhere near as common as ZoE1 (I think the MGS2 demo disc played a big role there, though).

drastic work gud for me, but muh phone a lil small to be too comfy 4 most shieet

After watching gameplay videos and reviews, I've already basically dismissed it (due to cost, size, repetitive gameplay, and a blinky controller that consists mainly of comm channels/camera views) but I wanted to get more opinions before it let it go. Since Xbox emulation is in the dumps, I don't want to regret not playing it if it really is some mystical hidden gem that you've got to try for yourself to really understand. I also don't want another case of buyer's remorse like after I bought a Wii Useless.

unteralterbach

I feel real bad since I saw those top two in your pic at Blockbuster when it was going out of business for 8$ each. I had to be a little fucking edgelord at that time.
The regrets of youth user, the regrets of youth.

shopgoodwill.com/listings/listByCat.asp?catID=450&ending=Items

Doesn't look too bad considering it comes with a megadrive. I've seen the sega CD alone in some retro shops going for like 20$ though

ebin

I really want to pick all of those up. And I saw someone selling Koudelka recently for $40. Not sure if that is a good enough deal on it.

It sucks, I feel like I am finding some good deals on games recently but I promised myself to not spend anymore on games at least until the end of august. trying to move out finally and need to save money

This was the most recent rare thing I picked up and I still spent way too much, $190 on it. But the price only keeps going up on it.

God I love those fucking games. Shadow Hearts was my jam

Clearly you aren't. So glad i was able to get a copy for 30 bucks when they had it up for sale

This game cost me 3 bucks in Gaystop's bargin bin while Etrian Odyssey II cost me 25.

I think I got this for $10, I haven't even played it yet

Watch that shit jump to 120$ seconds before the auction ends, you can never rely on that site for any kind of good deals.

Does anyone know if the sega cd is region free? Does anyone know how to make it region free?

Does anyone have experience with an imported copy? My prior experience with import games has been limited to text-based and command locations memorization

I realize $190 is a lot, but there is literally no way to find it for the price they sold it for way back then. Everywhere else I have seen it, it goes for $220-$240. So I would say that is a deal compared to the average price.

Just pirate all those games, you chumps. Don't tell me you don't mod your consoles.

I love Everdrives.

Don't remember the Details, but IIRC it is possible to change the regions of SEGA CD games.

A little something here for you and anyone else who's finished playing the series (namely saying that due to possible spoilers) if you haven't seen it yet. English translated interview with Machida and Kato.

The funny thing is that one of the protagonists for the series, Yuri, is that he's something of an edgelord himself, but a very entertaining and likable one despite it. Pretty much a perverted, rude, vengeful asshole, but with his heart in the right place. Pretty refreshing for a JRPG protagonist, really.

With Koudelka, I'll say it's probably best emulated or playing with a CFW PSP as an eboot. I've compared playing it with the discs and with an eboot, and the latter reduces the loading involved in it by a good amount (namely that in combat, using items or spells despawns everyone but the user and the target, meaning the game has to reload all the other characters and enemies when the action is finished, which adds up).

I suppose I'm lucky I didn't have to spend all that much on those. Only one I paid average price on was Covenant.
They're all complete and in great shape too.

Definitely another series to try. I kinda also made the thread for anons to post games I may never of heard of.

Not a bad idea, considering how many games there are that are older and may not warrant their own threads at this point.

Anyhow, if you like JRPGs and want to see a series with a darker an (at times) stranger vibe than most, and with a rather neat take on turn based combat, it's worth looking into. The music is really good (if perhaps strange; seen some mention before that if you like the music either you already have a taste for tracks like the ones the series has, or develop one from playing through the series) as well, with the series seeing a mixture of Hiroki Kikuta, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoshitaka Hirota, Kenji Ito, and Tomoko Imoto (who all was involved depending on the game in question), and the monster designs can get really out there too, with a horror style vibe (fittingly enough, given the series started as gothic horror with a side of JRPG in Koudelka, before turning to a JRPG with a side of horror to the designs).

Still trying to find fucking Wonderful 101 but have been too lazy to use ebay. And when I do find it I know it's gonna be over 90$ AUD.

Has there ever been a notable time where a otherwise expensive game was much cheaper in PAL areas, as opposed to even more expensive than in the US?

A quick glance at pricecharting shows it to average about $20 complete here in the US, and even Fucking Gamestop it's only about $20 preowned. If you're having issues with scalpers, maybe see what EB Games or whatever you guys have out there actually sells it for if they have it?

I hate Gamestop, mostly due to their policies, but they do have a bit of a plus in that their website gives a general idea of possible locations near you that might have a copy. Nearest store with a copy to me is apparently a mile or so down the road. Meanwhile, the nearest location with a copy of El Shaddai (which I'm wanting to find a copy of while places still make an effort to carry PS3 games) is about 180 miles round trip if I were to drive there to pick it up.

I ask at every EB games I run into as a habit by now.

Last time I bought a game at EB it was Bayonetta 2, and that was 80$. Couple years after release IIRC.

Geez. Looking at Gamestop's webpage real quick, apparently Bayonetta 2 as a stand alone is only about $25 preowned and they still have new copies you can order for $30, but the bundled Bayonetta 1+2 one is $45 preowned only. I suppose that being the only way (to my knowledge; I don't have a WiiU but I assume B1 isn't able to just be downloaded) to play the first game on the system might drive the cost and demand for that version in particular up. Neither seem to be particularly rare, but maybe uncommon at best going off of how many stores come up with "limited quantity."

Much as I'd thought of getting a Wii U a few years back, NoA, Treehouse, and 8-4 have collectively killed my interest in it. Maybe I'll look into it someday if anyone ever makes an unfuck patch for XCX.

Also, I'm not sure how EB handles things, but I tried a quick search of it. While "The Wonderful 101" certainly is available as an automated search result, there's no page for it (thus you can't even check for where the nearest store might be, assuming it normally has the same functionality as Gamestop's website), as if they've stopped making at effort to carry it new or preowned, like it's not not even in their system anymore. And glancing at Wikipedia, it's not as if you guys got denied a release of it to begin with, so I'm not real sure what's up there.

they have region protection but no copy protection (burned games will work without a chip).

pic related for steps I used to patch my games