Wii and DS general

These two systems kick ass. Pirate friendly and a great library.

I have two qt primary school age cousins who have one of each, but haven't touched them in a long time because their parents bought them shitty games.
I want to introduce them to good taste that will stay with them for a lifetime.

Some games I'm thinking of right now
DS
Pokemon Platinum
The Kirby super star remake
Maybe a light JRPG like Suikoden Tierkreis (with JP dub)
Possibly The World Ends With You also, but they're a bit too young to really grasp that kind of story
Inazuma Eleven

on Wii:
Kirby's epic yarn
New Super Mario bros
Zelda Twilight Princess (the older one will get a kick out of this)
Zack and Wiki/Little King's Story
And maybe an emulator with some Super Metroid on there

Other urls found in this thread:

gwht.wikidot.com/)
pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
mega.co.nz/#F!WRcEybiS!XkS89zjkXlgscw9AJjXwrQ
wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If by "kick ass" you mean "damaged the industry by letting in a truckload of casuals way more than the ps2 ever did opening the hells gates to all the problems we face today from SJWs to gaming in general being seen as trendy and cool and every single company aiming for the lowest common denominator killing any and all original ideas and creativity", and if by "great library" you mean "four million shitty ass shovelware gimmick focused abortions that have nothing of value in them and 5 legit decent games, of wich 4 are ruined by gimmicks that tarnish what would've been an otherwise enjoyable experience", sure.

i guess ass creed, cawwa dooty, "we want the cawwadooty audience" (bioware), general hyperconsumerism and gullible audience (eg brink, evolve, flavour of the week games) had nothing to do with it then ey lads :^)

No, you don't get to guess.
"X is ok because Y is also bad" doesn't excuse what Nintendo did to the entire industry with these two fucking abominations.

It's always "X isn't so bad because look at Y" with you motherfuckers when it comes to defending shit you like, regardless of how cancerous it objectively was, historically.

Goddamn hypocrites.

maybe if you want samey pokemon games, but not much beyond

m-mercy! i concede, you win this war of words and wit! :(

They had a lot of great games at least and the damage started with sony and most of the casuals are on pokemon go or steam.

Now OP, get nintendont to play gamecube games off an USB Stick or SD Cards and show your cousins good games like MegaMan Network Transmission, Bomberman Generations, Sonic Games, and bunch of Gamecube rpgs like Tales of Symphonia or Fire Emblem.

Give the kids good games always

You haven't play stuff like Bust A Move Space, Megaman ZX, Sonic Rush, Mario games, Nanostray 1 & 2, Drawn to Life the next chapter original version, Bomberman World, and etc

Always look beyond face value at a games system library for the good stuff
The DS has too many great games to list

Also every console has shovelware since the 80's and the industry wasn't damaged by nintendo at all with the wii but mircosoft and sony needing money because they made low profits on the 360 & PS3 and companies like EA being jewish as hell due to the rise of network console gaming which includes bad DLC and other things.

But nintendo causals left for smartphones and ipads

You got any pics?

The DS has plenty of good stuff besides Pokemon. Pokemon's just, for better or worse, what instantly comes to mind. Admittedly the system also has a lot of shovelware, but so does any popular system.

You should look into modding their Wiis and loading them up with emulators and such. That system can do a lot more than just Gamecube and Wii games.

Still, I do have to ask: Are you planning to teach them how to pirate safely, or are you just planning on doing downloading of games for them?

Also, if you're looking for an entry level JRPG or something (Suikoden might be a bit much, but I've never played Tierkreis myself), the DS has a worthy port of Chrono Trigger.

by that post, i meant that while it has some good stuff (puzzle quest and tetris come to mind), it lacks in a lot of genres, like shmups or fighters, and most of the really good stuff is hidden behind a language barrier and lazy translators (i'd love to play that cross dungeons game, but the incomplete patch makes me unable to)

which mario games do you mean exactly

Those better be qt boy cousins, you homo, or else you're trying to catch lightning in a bottle there. It doesn't matter how well you try to culture their taste, they're going to chuck it all in the trash the moment you're not around and go back to playing shit like Zhu Zhu Pets, Imagine: Dress-Up Party, and shit like that if they play on dedicated gaming hardware at all. More likely, they'll just shitcan all of it and go play fagbutts mobile trash games or IMVU where they can chat with their girlfriends.

They might enjoy playing quality games WITH YOU, but when you're not around, it's their friends who are going to define their tastes - and their friends almost assuredly subsist purely on shovel wear, mobile fagbutts, and social/media games.

To be fair, I can kind of see that. Hell, I'm pretty sure the main reason it did so well in the RPG department was that development costs for the PS3 turned off a lot of devs, who switching over to the DS and PSP instead. Though that doesn't apply as much to standard Nintendo handheld franchises (Golden Sun and Mario & Luigi, for instance).

I suppose I just get somewhat annoyed at the "no games besides Pokemon" mindset some people have for Nintendo handhelds, namely since I've actually seen game store employees (who ideally would know a thing or two about the systems they stock for, which happens all too infrequently) say the same shit.

I once knew a girl back in high school that had pretty decent taste in vidya due to the influence of her older brothers being into games growing up. Then one of her friends got her into Assassin's Creed, and that became all she ever wanted to play anymore.

I tried Hotel dusk a long time ago. What killed it for me was the main character didn't have anything to say when you were looking at stuff, just "its a toaster", "its a chair","got myself a paperclip". Way better dialog in ace attorney and professor layton.

I'll be doing it all for them, and yeah I'll be modding their wii. They're still bright schoolkids with lots of friends, I want them to appreciate good video games, rather than to be engrossed and always searching for new vidya.

Tierkreis is a very good entry level JRPG. It's moderately forgiving, very fun, has an intruiging story and is full of lovable characters.

Unfortunately, the english version of the game had less filesize than the japanese original. That means that voice actors had to cram lines of dialogue into less than a second, lots of battle dialogue was cut completely and the audio in general was compressed. They even cut the opening intro song and replaced it with an instrumental version without lyrics.
Otherwise, it's a great light-hearted adventure. I would reccomend playing it now, with the undub patch (check nicoblog). Just make sure you find a "no encounter" action replay code, since that's the game's only flaw in my honest opinion (exp gain scales anyway - it's designed like that so you can quickly train underleveled newly recruited characters).

That's a nitpick my friend and it's a shame that it's kept you from one of the most engrossing experiences of our time. I strongly reccomend you give Dusk another shot and play it 'til it's conclusion. It's a beautiful story.
Then, get Last Window, the sequel.

It sounds like you speak from experience. I think you are right when it comes to young girls of that demographic, but I know these kids well and they've always had an interest in the video games I've played. Their eldest sister, now about to graduate high school, loves her n64 very much.

But I hear you, thanks for the warning. I won't be too disappointed if it goes sour and I'm not putting much effort in anyway.

awww shit I just realised
I contributed to it with the Jake Hunter game. It's a kick ass game which everyone should try.

I've never heard of Miami Law though - I'll give that a go.

The DS had many more excellent games than the GBA (which was a great console in it's own right), so it's not so much it's fault than the Wii's.

Yeah, I know about the voicing issue for the English release of Tierkreis. I suppose I'm just not real clear on where it stands compared to the main series. I still need to get around to Suikoden on the whole sometime though, and I suppose starting with the first, be it story, or how gameplay changes over the subsequent entries, might be the best idea, and then maybe look into Tierkreis down the line.

Thanks for contributing then. I try to keep up with updates on stuff like this, but lately there hasn't been a whole lot of DS discussion (compared to, say, last year), and for stuff that's still potentially missing, it's not been the easiest thing to get people to write blurbs on them, as it's more effort that listing off names. Same reason I haven't gotten a full release of the PSP revision, since there's not been a huge amount of contribution for writing descriptions of what's been missing (like the DS, I didn't want to just cull the existing descriptions from it, meaning that any new addition needs one from someone), leaving it pretty slow to put together.

Anyhow, I haven't given Miami Law a go yet either (namely because I've never seen it around where I live much), but the description someone provided did make it sound rather neat. The DS is full of odds and ends (in addition to the better known stuff, of course), some of which are pretty enjoyable but never got much recognition.

Cool. Thanks for doing that.
If possible, maybe amend Tierkreis' entry - replace the twelvecansofredbull with something like "The localised english version has rushed and compressed VA, so google for an undub patch".

That list of yours is more or less complete - I can't really think of much else to add to it, or at least I haven't played anything noteworthy that's not on there.

Aahh, wait, there's Inazume Eleven. I'd be happy to write up a little bit for that game if you'd like, gimme a minute

The DS was current a LOT longer than the GBA was, being that it was initially meant as a "third pillar" but overtook the GBA rather fast. Granted, the GBA still saw some late non-shovelware releases after the DS was getting popular (Mother 3 was 2006), but still.

The DS will be turning twelve this November.

Sure, I'll see what I can do given the amount of space for Tierkreis. And I'm open to adding one for Inazuma Eleven, though it's not a series I'm familiar with since they don't make a habit of bringing it stateside (isn't it somehow some sort of Sports/RPG hybrid, or am I thinking wrong?).

One of the ones not on there that I can think of is Summon Night: Twin Age. Played some of it myself and found it decent, but I never see it brought up much, and when it is, it seems like there's some animosity towards it, though I'm not sure if anons just weren't real fond of it in comparison to the GBA Swordcraft Story games, or the fact that Atlus brought it west instead of SCS3 (which is still being fan translated). And I generally don't make much of a habit of adding games I myself like, at least without seeing where other anons stand with it (adding Ghost Trick, for example, was a no brainer).

This work for Tierkreis?

"A lighthearted and fun RPG/Sport hybrid. Features a cute cast of characters, very enjoyable gameplay and a giant roster of characters with pun names to recruit. Has a very charming world where the dialogue of most NPCs will change as the story progresses."

I don't know how much space you have to fit all that. Here's a quick bit about Inazuma Eleven 2 :
"Improved sequel over the first. More football, more crazy over-the-top anime special moves, more characters to recruit. There are now female players so have fun creating a team of qts.
There are two versions with different postgame teams and slightly differing story."

That's not bad, but I feel like it's sorta selling the game short. Ah whatever.
Also, there's actually no undub patch - only instructions on how to undub your game (typical snobby gbatemp) but there are roms already undubbed.

Your amendment is pretty gud.

Alright, I'll get on making some for those. But would it be best to put them in "RPG" or "Misc"?

And why exactly has Inazuma Eleven never been brought to NA, at least as far as I'm aware (if they've started doing so for the 3DS, I wouldn't know; I don't have that system)?

What was there before was what had been on the original chart since before whoever was making it originally stopped working on it in 2009. I can tweak it further if need be, but again, there's spacing constraints to consider for infographics (if I were doing this all as HTML and CSS or something, there wouldn't be an issue for that).

Planning on buying a Wii to hack, if i wanna load it up with games and roms how much storage space will I need?

I guess Misc is a better fit. Just watch a gameplay video - RPG mechanics only come into play in man on man battles, which a smart player can avoid.

Don't worry about changing the blurb too much if it's difficult, I'm only nitpicking. I just feel like there are better ways to describe the game than "you can recruit 108 characters" but eh.

You will store the bulk of your games on a hard drive/USB stick. Games can be anywhere from 1-2gb (small), 4-5 (gb(large) and 8gb (for very large games).
Get a cheap 8gb usb stick for the time being, then maybe think about buying a 1TB hard drive for yourself later.

These seem workable? Tweaked the descriptions slightly for space.

Depends on the systems you're planning to have on it. If you're talking more about NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, etc, older cart based systems take up VERY little space on an individual level. I've got a lot of those on mine and my 2GB SD card still has room for more (you'll need an SD card for hacking the system anyhow).

Its when you get into trying to store disc based games (in this case Gamecube and Wii) that you're going to need something bigger, most likely USB based. I think there's a compatibility list around as to what has been found to work or not work with the Wii as far as USB devices go. Main thing I suppose is to make sure you're not using one that falls asleep if not in direct use.

Just get an 16gb sdcard and 100-1000gb external sandisk harddrive and you are good for life

Good, except
If you don't want to meme too hard, then just write waifu.
Have fun creating a team of waifus
or something

Can you also consider adding:
puzzle game, DS version is latest US release
minigame/gimmicks. made by Space Channel 5 vets
adventure game by Suda51. US port of JP-only PS2 game

I try to keep it to a bit of a minimum. Prior to me working on it, the entry for Castlevania: Portrait of ruin was just CHARLOTTE JONATHAN repeating the whole way down, for example. I figured that barely told anyone anything about the game aside from that and opted to only leave one instance of it for the new one, with the rest being an actual description.

Still, I might switch the term to "waifus" if that's what more people want to see with it.

Give me more in depth descriptions than those and I'll whip some tabs up for them.

An odd minigame collection, which follows a minimalist and surreal Japanese story about winning a girl's heart… or something. Gameplay is touchscreen and microphone gimmicks. Good music, artstyle, and sense of humor
Competitive tetris-like puzzle game. 4+ touching same-colored "puyo" are cleared, getting chains of these builds garbage on opponent's field. Multiple characters and "fever mode" mix up gameplay, and story/endless modes enhance replayability
Visual Novel/Adventure, help people out and uncover the mystery of the island. Directed by Suda51 (Killer7, No More Heroes) and maintains his trademarks of distinct visual style and odd writing. Port of a JP-only PS2 game

Thanks, will get on those in a few.

On that note, wasn't Feel the magic a sequel or prequel to another game, or am I thinking wrong?

The Rub Rabbits was a prequel released a year later, never played that one but it looks similar

I still got a good cover out of it, but what the fuck google?

Prequel as in set before Feel the Magic, or as in the west simply didn't see it until after Feel the Magic was brought over?

I've been meaning to check these out. Are they worth it?

Get them into the good shit. Dat Alien Infestation, Castlevanias.

Fuck it, go full insanity and hook them up with MadWorld.

And it's set before chronologically, but made later. Given how similar the gameplay is, I'm assuming it's what was left over from the first game

The second sentence in puyo seems a little confusing now that I read it again. Could be, "When 4+ same-colored 'puyo' are touching, they clear. Getting chains…"
otherwise looks good

Heard decent things about Elebits and Opoona over the years, but have never gotten around to playing them myself.

Don't know much about SC Legends other than that Namco put ToS' Lloyd Irving in as a guest character with his ToS2 English voice.

I'll see what I can do to get it to read better, thanks.

Opoona got old for me fast, but the funny thing is I can't remember why for the life of me.
But I think it has a lot of bleh before you get to actual gameplay.

Elebits was interesting but was crippled by Wii performance. If it works in Dolphin it'd be worth playing.

Hey lads, what's the best way to install Wiibrew on a new Wii these days anyway?

Way back when, I used GAF's guide (gwht.wikidot.com/) with Lego Indiana Jones (aaah, I have fond memories tracking that game down - that was an adventure in itself).

I assume there are probably better methods out there. If so, I'd like to hear about them.

Bought a used Wii and it has something called 'priiloader'. I want to take it off because I want to put my own shit on there but it doesn't look like there's any way to. What do?

Not sure if I directly have Wiibrew on mine (I'd have to dig out some batteries for my Wiimote to check for sure), but I used Letterbomb if you're talking about general hacking. Requires a Wii at 4.3, an SD card, a way for your computer to read an SD card, and your Wii's Mac address. Basically, it creates a mail file that you put on the SD card, take to the wii, and open, and then you hack the system from there. No need for buying a particular game or anything.

My model of Wii was old enough to even allow for bootmii as boot2, giving access to bricking reversion if it happens.

Rodea the sky soldier was one of the last games (thanks to ubisoft releasing just dance 2017) released for the wii and one of the best.

I looked into Letterbomb and it looks a lot easier than the Indiana Jones method. Thanks, fren

I can only refer you to the site I linked in my post above yours (gaf's wii homebrew tutorial). It has nearly everything you need to know on there.

Is that game good? I pirated the 3DS version but I really didn't like the game very much.

because you pirated the wrong version. the wii version is the definitive one. wii u and 3ds are the same game.

I've hard the 3DS and WiiU versions are bad compared to the Wii original. That said, I still need to give it a go myself (and it having has NISA as localizer makes me slightly leery).

Well that settles it, I'll give the Wii version a go. I'm looking forward to see how they use the pointer controls for flying, I'm a sucker for that shit

there wasn't much localization could botch. It's a game you play for its gameplay any way.

Still doesn't excuse a garbage tier translation if you actually care to know WHY you're doing something. That said, I haven't seen the game brought up much, so I don't know much about how the translation quality was for it anyhow. For all I know Kadokawa could have kept them on a tight leash the way Spike Chunsoft has for various games.

Nah, not really.

???

It does if you look past all the shovelware

So anons, have you modded your Wii yet?
Personally, I've been playing a lot of Turbografx 16 and CD since I never had access to those and they are relatively expensive now a days. For those that do have a modded Wii/are planning too here's all the games in the chart (Plus some others) and some WADS.
>pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
>mega.co.nz/#F!WRcEybiS!XkS89zjkXlgscw9AJjXwrQ

That didn't stop me from enjoying the PS2. You are right though, the Wii begun the shift of gamers to casuals. You can't blame it, however, for what Sony & Microsoft did - ie - Turning dedicated game consoles to Media machines (plus DLC fests and all that jazz)

You know what to do.

Its a pretty bad hack n slash. Its not a Soul Calibur game, the only reason I remember pirating it was because Lloyd was in it and I have a softspot for Symphonia.

Thats an excellent idea user, I gave my nieces a modded Wii for christmas because of how easy it is. I've found that its easier to introduce them to retro games and then move on as otherwise doing it the other way is harder for them. They're currently going through the Mario Bros series. I'm proud that they've made it to Mario 64 after beating all the classics (with a bit of help I'll admit). I think starting that way helps them appreciate how gaming had evolved and changed throughout the years. So they don't go "ew why is that 2D or thats old!"

ebin post

bomp

I appreciate those links. Was looking for Sin and Punishment.

How well can the Wii handle TurboGrafx emulation? Been wondering if it might be a good way to give that first Legend of Heroes game a go, but as far as I'm aware there was never a native Wii VC wad for that one (unlike Ys I and II), so I'd have to use a separate emulator.

Sure. Tell me how to "pirate" physical games without outright stealing them from a friend's or a local store and then maybe I'll believe you.

Pretty sure he means you can get a flash cart and load it up with roms. Or you can always use an emulator.

There are flashcarts for fucking $5 which let you play virtually any game.

DS will always be my go to handheld. It's so fucking comfy for some reason, and even though it has an absolutely shitty resolution on both screens and unfiltered 3D, it manages to look better than any 3DS.

On another note, I'm looking for a DS game that some user was talking about. I don't remember the genre, or pretty much anything, except that it's nip, it's been in development a long time, and had something about a very expansive lore or something like that. I'm not even sure if it got a western release or translation. I had the cover of it saved somewhere, but I fucking lost it.

wii piracy is piss easy and free, go to wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page
for DS your only hope is buying or stealing a flashcart though

Give them Xenoblade Chronicles and Mario Galaxy you pedo

don't give them zelda twilight princess, it's the worst one.

reminds me of this

Also, get Nintendont (look it up on Wiibrew) and download Metal Gear Solid: TTS, F-Zero GX, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom and Paper Mario Thousand Year door

Besides, this is a wii thread, you can't emulate ps1 shit on wii

It's not about the voice actors, it's about all the shit they did with the cutscenes. It's literally MGS1: Otacon just-like-on-of-my-japanese-animes edition.

I've honestly seen people before remark that Twin Snakes almost seems like MGS1 as told through Otacon's viewpoint.

By "nip," do you mean it was left overseas, or simply developed in Japan and brought west? Solatarobo strikes me as a possibility if the latter, given that it spent a long time in development just on the world building itself. XSEED brought it over.

Unfortunately, last I saw, prices had really shot up for it.

See, I'm not sure if it was brought over to the west. Looking at Solatarobo it *may* have been it, but I'm pretty sure that's not the artwork i've been keeping. It *may* have been Contact now that I look on the list, but I'm not sure either.

Either use mednafen or Wiiengine. Both are surprisingly good.

get a non-shit flash cart and you can get almost every game on the DS, back then they were around $20 so they might be cheaper at this point

Where can I get a flashcart for $5? The only places I know where to buy them are fishy chinese shops online where they sell for $20-$30 plus shipping. I'm not giving my credit card details to these sites.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Contact was brought west by Atlus. Apparently one of the higher ups thought it seemed reminiscent of Earthbound, and decided that they ought to bring it into English for Grasshopper Manufacture.

That said, the "spent a long time on just the lore" or whatever still makes me think Solatarobo, as that's something I've seen notably brought up in regards to its development by fellow anons. I know that one had rather different cover art for both the NA and PAL release.

ebay?