First-person melee

What makes a good first-person melee system and what games did it right?
Bonus points if you can use blunt objects.

That game definitely didn't do it right.

I haven't played it yet, still downloading the missing audio fix.

In my opinion Chivalry: Medieval Warfare did it well.

I liked it in condemned, zombiiU and dying light. Its not a complex melee system but it feels good to hit shit which is what I think is one of the more important things in first person games. If the weapons feel like plastic toys I tend to drop it pretty fast

Chivalry pre fuck patch is the only game to outdo SirKicksAlot for fps melee.

Nothing else comes close.

Melee combat on its own is very dull as it inherently lacks the variety of magical spells or even guns.
An important thing in melee combat is meaningful move variety though its not necessary because you can work with a simple system if you have satisfying player feedback like in condemned and escape from butcher bay.

Did someone say Breakdown?

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Kicking Sim is one of the best for sure.

Beating down hobos with 2x4 in Condemned 2 was pretty fun. Shame that the gunplay is shit and after a certain point guns become so common that melee is useless. Everything about this game just falls apart the longer it goes on.

We'll have to see if Mordhau can raise the bar a bit, if it ever releases.

Seriously normally I like it when shit starts getting crazy and supernatural but turning you into the dragonborn just killed the game

Would be nice, not like there's many devs trying to do it better.
If that and Kingdom Come ends up being shit, atleast we will have Bonerlord.

Ballerina combat ruined it.

Obligatory

skyrim

My fucking nigga

The textbook of how to fuck up a second half

Did they fire the lead designer halfway through or something?

Chivalry and the Condemned games are good, though melee doesn't have much use in the second Condemned game beyond the snow cabin level. You can put Mount and Blade into first person and it has great combat.

Also, while not a melee 'system' per se, the various kinds of kicks you can do in F.E.A.R. all feel very impactful and satisfying. They're based off of the direction you're moving in. If you jump and melee while stationary, you do a roundhouse. If you jump while moving forward and melee, you do a scissor kick, and if you press crouch and melee while moving forward you do a sliding kick. It feels pretty intuitive.

is that the technical term for downward slash while doing a 180, crouching and bending over backwards to insta chop?

I wonder if Chivalry would have ended up any better if the movement controls had a bit of float to them to prevent instant spins and changes; give it more of a weighted feel to go with being an armor clad knight instead of a spaz having a seizure.

this, call of duty has better melee than chivalry

Doing a no wepons run on hard as a wizard is likely the best thing you can do in this game. Goddamnit that game was incredibly fun.

Online competetive gameplay, folks.

protip: turn off all HID compliant devices in your device manager before running Condemned (or FEAR) and you'll like quintuple your framerate

I'll be playing it on Wine.

What compels developers to do this?

Exactly, if. Whether the ranged weapons are good or not, it completely misses the point of melee combat focus. At a distance the combat will be completely one-sided in favour of the ranged class. At close combat it will be in favour of the melee class (or if the ranged weapons are really good, the ranged class will still have a significant edge).

this nigga right here knows exactly what the fuck is up

i have a buddy who talked me into buying war of the roses and chivalry on release and we played the fuck out of them, but I ended up quitting both for this exact reason. why on earth would you develop a fun and satisfying melee combat system (i loved War of the Roses for its "sweet spot" combat, and the fact that if you have say an axe or a hammer you need to actually hit them with the head of the weapon or deal extremely reduced damage) then add a fucking crossbowman or archer that a) can one-shot a heavily-armoured walking tank who is trading blows with an enemy and actually working for his kills and b) will get chosen by every single xXxDaNkBuDwEeDsNiPeRxXx faggot or Legolas wannabe

war of the roses eventually got a few servers that restricted or flat-out barred access to ranged classes but it was too little too late for me

also, chivalry's weapon balance was fucking retarded

it's like when you're charging at a dude in mount and blade, your lance is couched, and some filthy Rhodok farmer blocks it with a scrap of wood

In M&B every attack can be chambered if timed correctly. Although this can be pretty shit since you can parry a fucking lance with a dagger if you have decent reflexes.

Vid related

don't touch kf2 though

WHY ISN'T THERE A PORT OF CONDEMNED 2 FOR PC?

Fuck the torch and mummy section though.

Is the sequel any good?

because it's total fucking garbage. the first like two missions are absolutely awesome, basically while you start doing harder and harder crime scene investigation and realize that your alcoholism is actually affecting your aim, then they completely shit the bed and the game turns into a dragonball fanfic where you yell at people until they die

i liked it, give it a pirate and if you like it, be a good goy, those poor Chileans need the shekels

That's what I heard too but from what I saw from the beginning it looks awesome and I was hoping that on the later levels you could still shoot instead of shouting hadoken.

Kingdom come deliverance seems okay?

This is by far one of the better game I've played combat wise.

Enjoy pretending that shooting different colored versions of the same spell is "variety."

both dark messiah and chivalry are pretty bad. dark messiah is OK, actually. It's just got damage sponge enemies that are unsatisfying to attack constantly to kill them, plus flinch states are broken in it. Chivalry is just a bad game.

The best first person melee combat is in pirates vikings and knights II.

Lots of people with wrong opinions in this thread

dragon's dogma isn't exactly a good example for variety filled melee combat. None of these are first person games.

I was using that for the magic example, not the melee example

Condemned and Dark Messiah are about as good as first-person melee-focused games get and they were already mentioned

This game started out pretty fun but somehow got more boring towards the end. The obvious flaw is that enemies are never worth fighting directly, just kick them into a hazard, throw shit at them and execute, or use the ice spell to make them slip. Once you have that down in your mind, combat becomes repetitive and easy. Guess I shouldn't have played on hardcore?

you should play pvk2 then, because dark messiah is incredibly flawed.

I don't remember pirates vikings and knights 2 being much better than chivalry if at all.

it's not a realistic game, but it is a balanced game with varied melee, intricate, fast, and bouncy physics in combat. Unlike chivalry high level play doesn't rely on abusing the systems hit detection by contorting your player model and doing retarded tracking in order to essentially send your attack in all possible directions. It's a logical, sound and fast game. Combat is much better.

I was to post the one that works here but i don't seem to have it

I wish I could play Condemned but the graphics quality is so much worse than FEAR and the FOV is atrocious.

Yours did work.

Fug, I meant his worked.

Fucking this. The mouse-dragging completely ruined any semblance of balance the game had, especially because many people are just scripting/hacking it now.

I miss Chivalry from before the mouse-dragging faggotry took it over. Closest I've seen is For Honor, which isn't FPS at all but at least is not fucking gay.

Chivalry archers were cancer as fuck. Why is that class even in the game? It's like fucking snipers in Battlefield: they don't capture points, they don't do much damage, they don't take down vehicles, they don't keep enemies targetted or otherwise increase situational awareness… they're damn near useless. Yet sniper rifles are a meme and they have to be in, just like bows or prone (even though all 3 are almost always cancer for games).

I didn't even know this was possible. You made me look up the other shit possible in M&B and I can't believe I've been playing this like a fucking noob this whole time.

Worst part is I usually wrecked a lot of ass online. So how bad is the average player? God damn.

How has no one mentioned Riddick?
Butcher Bay is the better game.

you bitches should try severance and exanima

I have been playing M&B:Warband since 2011 but i never bothered with multiplayer since i always had high ping to begin with and the fact that i pirated the game. Now i managed to find a local server where players mop the floor with me, most of them know their shit (Feinting, kick timing and animation abuse) but the new players are pretty easy to handle.

Looks good

Only one person shills hard for that game, and they're also a huge Severance fan. Neither has good combat.

Isometric kills it for me

Pirates, Vikings, & Knights II

none since the way first person is handled in video games makes any chances of good combat get ruined by the perspective

Morrowind did combat better than Skyrim though…
I actually think Morrowind's combat is really, really good, and more RPGs should have it.

Care to elaborate?

Exanima is alright I like it but I'll wait to see how big the full game is.

I kinda wish it was randomly generated dungeons.

Dishonored did pretty well

Once you actually get into it, Chivalry is absolute fucking garbage. The way attacks work is through simple tracers rather than momentum, meaning the most effective way to launch an attack is usually by crouching, looking down, placing your back against an enemy, and using a large overhead swing. Couple that with terrible servers, possibly the worst I've ever consistently seen in one game, and it's now worth the hard drive space it's installed on. Mount & Blade may feel a bit like you're stuck in molasses, but it's infinitely better than Chivalry.

t. 477 hours

He's not talking about trickshotting you idiot. See the above.

I do believe that Morrowind's combat works better within the frame of its game than Skyrim or Oblivion's does (the dice rolls allow you to have a much better sense of progression, even if Oblivion or Skyrim had a static world the simplistic action combat would allow you to easily take down NPCs that are a higher level than you which would cut into the progression of your character), but I wouldn't really say that Morrowind has great combat. Morrowind's combat simply does what it needs to, nothing more, nothing less.

Skyrim has really basic combat, no depth whatsoever. If you took away stats, gave the player a locked selection of weapons, and only had health, Skyrim's combat is that of a low or middling quality first person shooter. There are only three actual variables: your skill and perks with the weapon "type"(1H, 2H, Bow, Destruction), the armor you're wearing, and the weapon you're using. Weaknesses and immunities are very, very minor, and some opponents aren't even immune to anything. Enemies on higher difficulties only get more health, they don't play smartly at all.Playing an Altmer Wizard isn't much more difficult than playing a Breton Wizard.

Everything in Skyrim is simple and crude, but in Morrowind, there are many, many variables. The immunities and weaknesses, fatigue, agility and strength, your skill in the weapon type(axes, polearms, longswords, shortswords, blunt, destruction, etc.), how hard you swung the weapon, the weapon itself, the enemy's attributes, their agility and strength, etc. etc. etc.

So here's a summary:
Skyrim- All weapons can be picked up and used to obliterate the enemy. The player is a god.
Morrowind- Characters must be skilled with their weapon and must be physically strong and agile if they ever want to survive a combat situation.

Granted, Morrowind isn't perfect. If you could gain tiny amounts of weapon skill from being hit by certain weapons, or fighting enemies with those weapons, that would be lovely. Just in case you lose your trusty polearm, you could pick up a staff and be good enough to fight your way out of capture IF you were lucky.

Why did they even think that was a good idea?

I didn't ask why skyrim combat sucks, I asked why morrowing combat is good.
Try again.

Rest in peace Arkane ;_;

anyone know the remix used in this webm?

i hate first person melee, its always retarded, i really hope Kingdom Come raises the fucking bar

i only played Skyrim because you could be an archer

on Condemed i didnt waste a single bullet just so i would have to use the melee weapons less

Skyrim and morrowind combat function identically, except in skyrim you hit when your hitbox connects and not due to a dice roll, and it's more clear whether you'll do a lot of damage or not so much damage.

Both of them are functionally, get close to this enemy, click, if the hitbox connects, damage will be dealt.

Bonus, skyrim has power attacks.

Both games have sucky melee combat compared to say Dark Messiah, but it's completely retarded to defend morrowind because it has a billion variables that have no form of physical representation. Because you seriously think it's a good thing to have a system where success is determined by the character's stats rather than player skill and understanding of the combat systems rather than statistical systems.

You don't play many actual RPGs do you?

You stupid nigger, that is a key part of an RPG, that the character's ability matters, not the player's.

No shit, this is why RPGs are retarded. Stats are cancer. Success should be a factor of the player's improvement rather than randomized statistical systems that steadily pump out more consistent outcomes as the player dedicates longer periods of time to repetitive tasks.

Morrowind doesn't have a good system of first person melee combat. It has bad hitboxes, bad feedback, bad animations, and very few states that players or enemies can occupy, almost none of which interact with each other.

If skyrim has middling first person combat, morrowind's is ride to hell retribution quality.

Then it wouldn't be an RPG, would it? It's about how your character grows. If it was just straight skill, it would be an entirely different thing altogether like an FPS.

Seriously I feel like that combat was good by complete accident. I don't think they intended the always loud playstyle to be that much fucking fun.

this.
If you don't like RPGs don't play them, instead of bitching about RPGs like you're the one that should decide what videogames be made and what goes in them.

Mouse swinging, not click-to-attack

The point of the thread is good first person melee combat. The post I replied to said,

If you do the same for Morrowind, the case is even worse. The original poster here has made no case for how morrowind combat is good, only that a complex system of stats determines how much damage you do. This is like claiming that Pokemon is good because the catch rate formula is really complicated. If you just look at what you actually do when you encounter an enemy, it's really boring.

How can you not see how retarded and pointless your logic is? Now you're saying pokemon is shit because the catch rate is chance based?

Protip: If you don't like a game Then don't play it. All you're doing is complaining how videogames aren't the way you think they should be. You're missing the point of why people play them completely.

is dishonered actually worth a play? I've heard so many mixed things on it that I've never actually gotten around to downloading it, but that video makes it look pretty fun.

Its fun, but don't expect thief-levels of stealth and immersion. You'll have to use a self-imposed challenge if you want a challenging experience though, the melee combat is basic but significantly more than skyrim.

it was always there, it just took a while for everyone else to catch on

Its a fun game, but it has a fuckton of problems.

now that i can get behind.

are you for real?

from a gameplay perspective skyrim was "better" than morrowind even though it was still shit.
what you are describing are the rpg systems which are vastly superior in morrowind, obviously.

I just wish there was a way to have a ng+ and start the game with all that endgame shit at the beginning
I've beaten the game so many times, let me just do an overpowered run

The part where you fight your inner demon(s) was pretty good, though kinda easy

I'm finishing Far Cry 2 at the moment and enjoying that so maybe I'll keep Dishonored on the backlog till I'm really wanting something along that style.

I still really need to play Thief. Maybe I'll do that next.

nvm found it. literally just called Russian Remix

this tbh. Decapitating someone, then chucking the head on your next opponent to break their guard and finish them? fucking genius. My first two runs of this game ended up being high chaos because I love combat and have no self control

Cracking skulls left and right. A visceral experience the whole way, plus the first game is on PC so you can just grab the GOG installer and you're good to go.

what makes you think that when they dedicated a portion of the game to the consequences of murdering everything?

one thing that chivalry did better than m&b was that at least blocking huge weapons with tiny ones took away much more stamina. if that rhodok farmer keeps his pitchfork in the down guard position he can block an entire regiment of cavalry charges…

Ironic since the best way to play it is with arcade mode. The gimbal angle system makes sim mode a huge pain in the ass. Still a sick game.

did chivalry also have tank controls for your character like mountainblade

tank controls? no they were more akin to dark messiah, regular first person with exploitable melee mechanics

played plenty of severance. It's OK. Kinda mediocre.

You're not alone, everytime we have a M&B discussions fuckers like you before barge in and shitpost about muh basic combat.

Are you high? One of us doesn't know what the fuck the term "tank controls" means.

It's in the OP

i've heard this before as well and i dont quite understand what they mean by "tank controls", its not as if you control your legs independently

mount and blade doesn't have tank controls
an example of tank controls would be resident evil (you cant move left and right only forward)

Someone here told me the silent playstyle was suppose to be the easier dirty one, but then bethesda made them add some moral choice forced-stealth shit at the very end.

Blade the edge of darkness is such a fucking good game, fuck me.

I replay it every fucking year.

Tank controls mean that the player character controls like a tank; It only moves forward/backwards, turning while stationary is faster, turning while moving is slower.

Why do i need to explain this in CURRENT YEAR?

No.

I'll fuck you instead.

War of the Roses while not exactly first person has good mechanics that probably would translate fine into a first person perspective.

I agree that it's better than Oblivion or Skyrim, but I wouldn't call it good
Add manual blocking, a dedicated spellcast button, and remove the miss chance from ranged weapons and it would be a lot better
Also give the player a reason to not just check "always use best attack" and spam when in melee

Ya blew it

Fucking THANK YOU. Let games be about gameplay. Spreadsheet bullshit isn't allowed off the clock.

It's fun, but if you're going for a non-lethal stealth run, you have to avoid using Blink if you want anything resembling a challenge.
It's too damn good.

I don't intent to have pre-marital sex, so no.

Are you saying what I think you're saying?

I do not want to marry some random user, no.

r u a grill?

What part of "I don't intend to have pre-marital sex" implies a female poster in any way

Because most dudes are more sexually driven as a whole and will discard those values at some point.

I did.

Because a man doesn't lose anything by having sex before marriage, or before anything for that matter. Once a woman has fucked once her virginity is gone for good, and her pussy is that much more used than before.

No, I just have rather old-fashioned morals.
Sex should just be a benefit of marriage, not the driving force.

You mean it DOESN'T look like this for you?

idk bout them but it looks like that for me

TF2 did first person melee pretty well I think

looks good
I still can't wait for M&B Bannerlord to drop