doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_ports
mega.nz/#!hpRjlLoQ!L4nlC1Z6BKAl-wsE6AtX8nX_UJ7Ae71eP3o0acYGSCc
doom2.net/single/monsters.html
gunlabs.blogspot.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-make-your-first-basic.html
mediafire.com/download/mlkl18wylos140p/AkimboDrumShotguns.pk3
mega.nz/#!RhIwjKrS!2ChiMC8sGM00vN692wn8pkWX0uD_a_nuJ5GJz9g9H2E
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50517
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not autistic enough to play the same game for 20 years.

There's not much left to discuss.
This place is mostly about bitching on everything, when a game requires normal discussion it dies down and 404.

Not enough people here are dedicated to Doom like the /vr/ guys on halfchan are. There's a few people here that have tried their hand at mapping, and some of them are fairly decent, but that's about it honestly.

Niggas please.

Has anybody here tried Cyriak's megawad? I heard he made the music for it himself.

I gotta figure out what I want to play next. Last mapset I played was BTSX Ep1. Maybe something older.

Demonsteele update never ever

Just played some of The Final Doom. That's good game.

He's active, at least.

terminusest13.tumblr.com/

I know, but he seems to be entirely focused on that total conversion he's making now, on top of that Demonsteele development has run into a plethora of issues and is currently on hiatus.

Sad.

Is there a mod where I can dual-wield any two weapons of my choice?

What's your opinion of Smooth Doom? I think it gussies up Doom on GZ if you just want more blood and better animation and variety. Doesn't fuck with gameplay unless you're a huge newborn.

Closest I can think of is Guncaster, which has a powerup you can buy at any time (given you've the money for it) that makes you dual wield every weapon in your arsenal.

was just gonna make a thread when a woke up in the evening.

why are you here ?

Outdated image.

Haven't been playing Doom much. Now that I have free time I've been experimenting with other shit like Dominions and Morrowind.

I was playing eviltech.wad and unloved.wad before, I think it might be time to finish them off.
Also, how do I get gud at Demonsteele?

Lots of circlestrafing, use the i-frames on dodges to get through volleys of projectiles, the sheath of your sword is better at destroying projectiles, also the AoE the nade launcher creates actually knocks projectiles out of the way too. Found this incredibly handy when dealing with the mancubus.
Other than that, you have a special meter, use that shit for clearing rooms. Keep in mind weapons have specials too in Hae-Lin's case.

amateurs

Who else likes the soundtrack in Memento Mori 2?

You might like this then

Sweet

Cyriak made a doom megawad? The fuck?

I can't listen to that without think of the chaingunners

You know, maybe I should post stuff here. I usually post my progress on the /agdg/, but I usually come these threads to see what people are talking about.

I am still working on this map for Memoirs of Magic, but its half done so far. I am actually working on the second half as we speak

Yeah, it's a full 32 levels I think.

Looks cool, reminds me or Ray Man 2

I probably should have stated what it was.
It's called "Going Down".
I've heard it's got fucking weird level design.

He made that wad? Holy shit, i didn't even knew that

What engine are you using?

He's actually really active in the Doom community.
He posts on Doomworld a lot, his username is "Mouldy"
doomworld.com/vb/members/mouldy/

What the fuck, I didn't know Cyriak was a mapper, will definitely play that shit.

How did I not know this? Holy shit, I've been a fan of this guy's work for years.
His music videos are fucking awesome.
youtu.be/Q3EEaPj-5qs

GZDoom. This is a Total Conversion mod is essentially an action RPG akin to System Shock 2!

here is some early gameplay footage, and some other maps!

Oh, I forgot you can't post images and videos

Your wad looks like it's coming along pretty nicely.
Some criticisms I would give are that the mix of 2D and 3D potions doesn't look right. I think all the potions should be entirely sprites, the same goes for the little guy on the pile of books.
I also think the colours for the sprites look a bit off, I get you're going for a cartoony style, but they seem too bright compared to the environment around them.
I probably won't be able to enjoy the wad because I'm a fucking massive zealot against furries, but good on you.

His music videos are fucking great.
He makes nice songs himself, as well. I'm seriously envious of this guy, he's a talented at fuck at animation; he's good at making music and he's a good mapper.

Sorry, I meant the pile of books should be sprites.

You can just play as the human cleric or undead mage and kill everyone, you know

the reason for the mix of 2D and 3D is due to the fact I wanted the actual characters to pop out in 2D. Basically, every prop is 3D (However I understand that it is jarring!)

I meant that on a far more personal level, not the wad itself.
I get the reasoning behind that, but to me it just looks straight-up bad. It looks as if the style is completely inconsistent.
If you like it then stick with it, I guess. I'm just telling you my thoughts on it.

game when, I need my fix since diablo 2 injected me in my formative years with the mighty need to summon armies of skeletons

I am hoping I can be done with this by christmas/january time. Thats my hope, at least!

Also, more games need necromancers who can summon skeleton hordes. I can confirm that you can summon over 20 skeletons (infact, I AM PRETTY sure you can summon around 50!)

DOOM's fucking boring

Yeah alright, guess I'm waiting, I've got some bleach near my coffee machine for this kinda problem anyway

Just finished scythe2.wad
I did not expect this much slaughter.

So you're saying you dislike him as a person to him directly?
Damn, that's pretty vitriolic. The fact you're being relatively nice and calm otherwise just makes it all the more harsh.

I thought i was good at doom, but god damn, going down is hard.

I personally prefer Beautiful Doom but without the objects module, I hate the water splashes

Yeah, Going Down is a serious challenge. I've been putting it off for a while because I don't think I'm ready yet.

Feels so satisfying punching demons in the face

Only in non-specific 'threads' about nebulous things. Go into any of the niche game generals [like this one] and you'll see harmonious enjoyment and discussion.

This is the best fusion of Tetris and Doom I could find. It's shameful.

doom is a bad influence on children. violence is not always the solution

am i the only one that hates that megaman mod? it has too many weapons, to the point where the fun nerve-wrecking arena shooter experience i get with regular servers goes away in favor of trial and error.

wow omg can you stop shilling your game??? like seriously i can't belive this??????

I don't like that there isn't much of a single player campaign myself.

Most people hated it because for a while it was the only thing anyone played in multiplayer

Who is shilling?
This is a Doom thread

Does anybody know why when I play the Batman mod in zDoom, batman just shoots the batarang like a pistol instead of throwing the batarang like it's supposed to be? I've watched some gameplay so I know I'm really experiencing a bug. What's the fix?

The don't use link shorteners linked to a locked dropbox page
also, what are the options for linux users?

Kill weebs.

doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_ports

So I want to play Doom.
Downloaded PRBoom+ got that set up but the IWADS link doesn't work, what do I do now?

At least it isn't that furry wad
yeah yeah it has scales whatever fuck you fag

Anyone know what is going on? I'm running Zandronum on Linux, software rendering looks fine but has that annoying stretching when you look up or down, but when I switch to OpenGL this happens, by "this" I refer to the fuzzy black lines everywhere.

Tried tweaking various OpenGL options but the issue persists, and I didn't find anything by searching.

Anyone wanna check out some dumb couple of maps I'm working on?

It's samsara all over again. and cyberrunner, and a plethora of other great projects he's been neglecting I bet that in a month he'll say DEMONSTEELE IS FUBAR, PLS PLAY MY NEW MEMEMOD.

It's a shame, dude has an extremedly talented team at his hands and has excellent ideas, he just never fucking manages to finish any of them. Well except for Nocturne in Yellow and NES Zapper that is.

I don't really have a team.
Man, I wish I did. That'd make things so much easier.

So why do you guys hate Doom 3?

I thought it was alright but it just didn't felt like the other games.

Different genre and the guns feel like plastic toys

It's a slow boring corridor shooter.
It feels like a bad version of Half-Life.

it was a horror action game that failed as both a horror game and an action game

The shotgun had a 8ft spread at less than 10 ft. How do you fuck up the shotgun in a doom game?

why would we not be interested?

Well I did kind of post it once before.

So as far as the map goes, I've never made one before, and I don't know what I'm doing with the second one in here.

mega.nz/#!hpRjlLoQ!L4nlC1Z6BKAl-wsE6AtX8nX_UJ7Ae71eP3o0acYGSCc

There are some secrets, so do look around for them.

7/10 so far. Feels sorta like a Dook map, also hard in places due to ammo and weapon scarcity. Also little nitpicks like some doors looking a little off for the textures they have on them, like they were too tall for the original texture.

Glad you're enjoying it. If you could give me some thoughts on specific examples, that'd be great. Also what secrets you found

I didn't find any of the secrets since I managed to bite it during both levels on just medium difficulty.

Not bad, I liked the general layout of both levels.
They could always use more detailing and angled walls to eliminate the squareness in them, but they have a good foundation.

The traps had a solid idea behind them (I specially liked the one on map02 with the shotgun guy behind a door, simple but entertaining) but they were lacking in monster numbers, which made them too lenient on the player.
I can understand that as starting levels you wouldn't want to unleash a couple of archviles and barons of hell onto the player's asshole in close quarters (as amusing as that might be), but it wouldn't hurt to raise the number of monsters. The hell knight trapped on the room with imps, zombies and pinkies is a nice decoration, but completely ineffective as an obstacle for the player, the problem here isn't the pretty hell knight themed lamp, but the fact that it accentuates the lack of difficulty on the rest of the wad.

The secrets were okay, following id old school of design (if it isn't broken etc.), but I have to disclose that I only found 3 out of 4 on the first map and none on the second because I'm a disgusting casual faggot when it comes to searching for them.

I liked the end of level descent of the first map, that small dark rocky corridor hits my taste dead on, it also reminded me of the hole on the wall from duke3d's e1l3. I also liked the descent to the tunnels on map02 for similar aesthetic reasons that I can't explain in depth beyond saying that they just click with me.
The crematorium was nice, and while it possibly was a reference to Blood and its level design, the years of browsing Holla Forums had me chuckling like an idiot. The faggot imps around the corners were a nice touch, and the oven secret even better.
The bunker-like slits on the tunnels of map02 had nice lightning, the medic bay room with the cacos was fun, the subway like ending area of map02 had an effective placement of shotgun fags and zombies.

Work on them a little more because they are fun maps.

Hey I found this pretty goofy encyclopedia on all the monsters, it's like a fan fiction or something.

doom2.net/single/monsters.html

Thanks for the detailed response.

First, when you say the traps had too few monsters, are you talking about monster variety or quantity? Also did you play on Ultra-Violence, because that's what I designed these around and I only kind of dicked around with removing some monsters for lower difficulties without seeing if it worked well or not.

I'm really happy you actually managed to find the secret down in the morgue. I wanted to make it a wall you could walk through at first, but the texture wouldn't stretch and I'm not making my own. While I have played and really enjoy Blood, I wasn't thinking about the crematorium When I made this. I have a hard time with with that weird abstract level design that a lot of DOOM levels have, so I need to give my rooms/levels some kind of vague theme I can work with. The other secret on the first level is a walk trigger that opens a panel in the computer room. I'm thinking about moving it a bit closer to the medbay On level 2, there's a secret in the vents where you'll notice a different texture, and there's one absurdly difficult secret that involves pressing 3 not-buttons in the caves and revealing a secret room I also just want to confirm that you did get ambushed in the morgue after taking the yellow key. I'm not sure if that trap works every time.

I have some ideas for the 3rd level, where at which point I can start throwing hell knights or whatever anywhere I feel like. I'm still trying to figure out some encounters with the second level, so I'll work on those a bit.

post yfw John Romero makes you his bitch (again)

Doom 2016 is better than whatever shit you faggots play

Pretty fun, I liked it a lot.
I'm not really good at mapping so I can't really give detailed feedback, but pretty much got the gist of it.
It's pretty fun, if not simplistic. You've got a good basis here, definitely keep it up.

kill yourself

That's what happens when everyone sucks your dick nonstop but your projects goals are super lofty and you never planned any kind of reasonable completion state.

TUMBLR.

bimp

Did he ever say that he was working on anything more once he shut down the Kickstarter?

I remember he said that he'd rather have an alpha or something playable before he starts his kickstarter.

I think they're still working on it with an investor.
hopefully by burning the original concept to the ground. that setting and story, and excess of story, looked like the most milktoast boredom inducing modern-fps bullshit.

Why don't you kids like the Clive Barker's Undying 2?

Quantity, the traps were far too manageable. Not every trap has to become a murder fest (as much as I personally love them), as I said before, the shotgun guy one was pretty cool and actually uncommon for doom, but some of the others need higher numbers.
What the fuck, do I look like a polygon employee to you? Of course I played on UV.
It worked without problems, I killed 6 million imps.
I heard a door opening when I took step into the ending cell of the first map, I backtracked a bit to take a look but I couldn't find anything nearby so I just went on and disregarded the last secret. I didn't find anything on the vents of map02 because I was too focused on performing tacticool chainsaw CQB corner action (I had my fun doing extremely retarded shit on both maps). I had to replay them just now to find all the secrets. Moving the last secret of map01 a bit closer to the exit would be ideal.

You asked before about monster variety, which is a difficult matter for your wad, as I feel on one hand that you stuck too closely to the classic early monsters, on the other, random demons would fuck with the flow and sense of progression already established. A shit idea I have for this would be to put a couple of chaingunners at the end of map02 behind the farthest fence (impeding their drops from being obtainable) as a last fuck you to the player.

On detailing, I felt that some doors were too flat (like the cells of map01), to alleviate this you could push them a bit and put a door track texture on the newly vacated walls and ceiling. Also extrude some walls, angle shit, add shading, props, etc.

In general I thought they were easy maps, which isn't wrong or undesirable for wad starters, but you could get away with adding more difficult shit.

I'd fuck that boat.

He's already doing that with Project Booty.

Wow, the fog in GZDoom really does make a difference.

Go back to reddit.

what is this game?

ugly graphics

just kidding

If you really want to help him, either help him figure out the bug that causes the double-tap inputs to not work sometimes, or find him a sprite artist willing to do do both cleanup work and create an original Shihong spritesheet, because those are the two big issues with Demonsteele he desperately wants to fix right now.

What's wrong with shihong spritesheet? Apart from the fact that the weapon sprites don't match at all the player sprites.

Try being a fan of Project MSX.

Do we really need a Doom thread up at all times?
It's a great game and all but I think one thread every couple of months is enough.

It's nice to be reminded good video games exist sometimes.

Someone is making a thing.

It's not just specifically Shihong, there's a whole ton of extremely fucking ugly placeholder sprites that need either fixing or replacing.

Since DemonSteele's at 0.9, it's real close to completion, and I really want 1.0 to be a solid build.
I'd expected for my usual luck with artistic assets and had planned for only being able to maybe replace the player skins, but then the sprite artist went RIP so it looks like not even that.

Man, poor MSX. MSX probably has it the worst.
I wonder where MagSigma is now, hopefully the dude's okay.

Are we posting Doom mods with potential?

tfw when blazing through the original Doom campaigns on UV, but plutonia.wad is too hard.

I'm not sure I understand. You want to prevent people from talking about a game they like on a video game board?

Yeah, that's why it's recommended to play TNT before Plutonia.

doom mixed with diablo, this is a tasty flavor

I learned how to create and replace textures today.

I feel kinda like a casual for not strictly formatting everything for vanilla Doom though.

I already got through TNT successfully when it came out 20 years ago, but Plutonia simply doesn't work for me. After a few levels it's Game Over. Dunno why.
I also never managed to get through Episode 4 of Ultimate Doom, despite trying for 20 years.

I miss it so. Though I've been thinking, what with combine kegan saying that decorate and slade are fairly easy to learn, that I make my own spiritual successor. It might be too big a project for a newbie though.

Does anyone know how I would go about setting up a SuperSkullTag server though Doomseeker/Zandronum?

I wouldn't recommend tackling MSX as a first project. Code for that is really old at this point, and I'd imagine there were a lot of hacks needed to get stuff working that today would have more sensible solutions. It wouldn't be a great way to learn DECORATE, is what I'm getting at. It would make more sense for somebody with a lot of experience to do it, somebody who can look at an actor and say "Okay, MagSigmaX had to do X so that Y would work, but today we have Z."

I know the HUD was a fuckton of ACS, as SBARINFO was much more barebones then than it is now.

Trying to make a successor to MSX is definitely way too big for a newbie.
But that's definitely not meant to be a discouragement, definitely put that as an end goal. But start extremely small, at first. Extremely, extremely small. Try your hand at a couple weapons.

Like, start with making a simple shotgun, polish and tweak it until it's fun to use.
Then from there, make another shotgun. Polish and tweak it again until it's fun to use. Show it off to people and ask if it's fun/not fun.
Then make an assault rifle.

It'll take a decent amount of time, but if you tackle things step by step, you'll get the experience and knowledge necessary eventually. And then you can start on your own full-fledged project.

Give it a go, user.

I have just the thing to add myself.

gunlabs.blogspot.com/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-make-your-first-basic.html

Is this better?

yes

I'm downloading it prepare your anus

So much better, it was kinda driving me up the wall.

I'm thinking about making the walls go in a little bit.

Does this look like too much or is it fine?

nice

Where can I find moonman.wad

Is there a mod that makes the UI (specifically menus) less awful?

what source port are you using

A while back, somebody on the ZDoom forums posted a drum-loading double-barreled shotgun. I forget who did the code, but the coder credits UnTrustable with the sprites.

Anyways, I took the gun and adapted the code to make dual-wielded drum-loading double-barrel shotguns. Mostly I did it to study how the new overlay system works. They reload using ZDoom's native reload key, and you can even reload one while the other fires. There's also a variable choke function; press zoom to zoom in a bit and reduce pellet spread.

mediafire.com/download/mlkl18wylos140p/AkimboDrumShotguns.pk3

Remember, you need a very recent dev build of ZDoom; like the last week or so just to be sure, because the mod uses overlays and anonymous functions. Go to the console and type "summon supershotgun" to spawn the weapon, and have fun, you maggots.

And yes, I do know that the guns go all weird when you die. Don't worry, it's not going to crash, and it fixes itself when you resurrect. Like I said, I used this to study how overlays work. I dunno how to solve that.

Are there any mods that make the monsters more powerful but don't change any of the assets or gameplay(at least not to any significant degree)

I want more advanced AI that dosen't rush the player in single file and enemies with enhanced abilities meant to take full advantage of all that working in a fully 3d environment offers. That's all. I want to keep the original weapon sounds and stuff. If its compatible with smooth doom its a plus. I don't want the shitty power trippy weapons of BD/project brutality so don't reccoment that I've already tried traditional mode in PB and I think the more powerful weapons completely ruin the survival horror feel of the game. ;_;

I don't want to spam or anything, but since the thread is going pretty slow and hitting the depths of the catalog, I figure I'll post an update on the map.

Based on feedback, I've made some pretty large/moderate changes to the first level, both aesthetically and in how tings play out. In regards to the difficulty, I've made the encounters a bit more difficult, and I've started toying around with adding more enemies around the level. I'm also playing around with the medpack placement.

mega.nz/#!RhIwjKrS!2ChiMC8sGM00vN692wn8pkWX0uD_a_nuJ5GJz9g9H2E

The second level is still pretty much the same. Very minor additions, but I put most of the work into the first level

Hideous Destructor is fucking cruel. That's the closes thing to what you want, but it adds new weapons. I don't think you can call them OP.

I can't think of any mods that don't touch weapons but make the monsters stronger.

Its not that the weapons in BD are overpowered so much as they look and sound overpowered. I don't want weapons that are power trippy. I guess I'll have to play hideous destructor. I like vannila doom but I just want something harder.

that chainsaw trap is bretty good now.
the map is taking shape nicely.

Thinking of making a mod that just replaces every sound effect with dumb stock sounds (like embed related). Should I go for it? I know I'm gonna use ZUBADUWA somewhere.

have you tried turning on fast monsters?

There's also this forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50517

Made even more improvements. Redesigned the room to make it harder to simply take the chainsaw and run.

It also doesn't look like total shit now.

Looks like a shrine to the chainsaw. I can dig it.

The implication is more that they're going to cut up the twitching dude on the pole right there, but yeah.

nigga

I actually didn't until just recently, it makes the game a lot more challenging but its kind of unfair at the same time. Hitscan enemies react too quickly but Pinkies are just about perfect with it though.